closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: difference between 3g and 4g

difference between 3g and 4g

hi all
    i read somewhere that later iphone 4 will have 4g spec, is it worth waiting for ? advice appreciated

cheers andy

Master

Re: difference between 3g and 4g

about 1g..........

From what I have seen, if you already have the 3gs, don't bother updating to the 4g. If you don't have an iphone, just go out and get the 4g. Waiting for 'the next better one' to arrive is a pointless exercise unless you know its due out very soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    From what I have seen, if you already have the 3gs, don't bother updating to the 4g.
    Why? The iPhone 4 (no g there) has twice as much RAM, longer lasting battery and of course a display resolution that's 4 times higher than on the 3GS. The display alone is reason enough to upgrade... it's bloody amazing.

Master

I had a 3G, a 3GS and now a 4 and the upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 is well worth it.

Having handled a 3GS and 4G side by side, the 4G screen is better but I wouldn't say it's amazing.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

I think the OP is asking for the differences between the 3G and 4G mobile comms standards, not the different types of iPhone .....

Pete

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Having handled a 3GS and 4G side by side, the 4G screen is better but I wouldn't say it's amazing.
    But it is ;)

yes pete

i am asking a generic question really, what does a 4g phone have above a 3g phone? cus i heard the new iphone4 is 3g but later will have 4g??

andy

For information about 4g, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G .

To be honest, by the time this is rolled out and widely available in your area (unless you live in Slough :D ) your contract will have likely come around again. I work 'kind' of in the industry and there hasn't been that much talk of 4g yet, I tend tend to keep up to speed with these sorts of things. It does look like web browsing will be a joy on a 4g connection!

Sorry, misunderstood the question! Slightly diverging, but in response to the iphone 4 vs 3gs...I just can't justify the expense to "upgrade", to me you don't get enough for the expenditure.

To the OP, no-one knows what technology the next generation of iPhone will have in it. At the moment there are two competing 4G technologies.

Wimax is a variation on wifi and is currently being used in the USA on the Sprint network and by Clearwire in 13 or so cities. It is a form of wifi and at the moment there is only one phone which supports it, the HTC Evo. This phone is a dual band CDMA/Wimax phone so won't work outside the USA. Sprint and Clearwire also have some wireless modems which use Wimax such as the Sprint Overdrive.

The second 4G technology is called LTE. At the moment, as far as I'm aware, there are no commercial carriers in the World who have an LTE network. A number of carriers have plans to roll out test networks later this year including Verizon and AT&T in the USA and O2 here in the UK. It may be launched sometime in 2011 but no-one is saying when.

There is a grey area as to what constitutes 3G and 4G however. 3G GSM using the HSPDA+ standard can support data transfer rates of up to 21Mbps. That's a lot faster than Wimax can manage at the moment. I believe there are networks in Finland already using this as well as T-Mobile in the USA.

My best guess is that the next iPhone will support 3G GSM only and that the 2012 iPhone will be the first to support LTE, the standard which looks like being adopted in more countries at the moment.

I suspect what you have read is that there will be a CDMA iPhone for the USA market, specifically Verizon. This has been a long standing rumour but has yet to come to fruition, mainly because Apple signed a 5 year exclusive deal with AT&T in the USA. There has been speculation that this will be terminated and that Apple will introduce a CDMA phone but I don't think they will with the changeover in technology just over the horizon.

I've picked up all of this from the Engadget, jkontherun and MacRumors websites and the Engadget and Engadget Mobile podcasts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrteatime
    about 1g..........
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

As above, the new iPhone is just a 4th generation of the Apple hardware.

The next generation LTE networks currently being deployed in Japan and Scandinavia are likely to be known colloquially as '4G' and will offer much faster access than the current HSPA family, but are some years away from being commonplace. With reference to Paul's points above, there are a couple of small commercial deployments of LTE - Teliasonera have systems in Stockholm and Oslo, offering 100Mbps to data card users. This is being rolled out to other cities but is not currently available for handsets as there aren't any!

WiMax is really a competitor to the HSDPA/ HSUPA standards, and in my opinion has already lost the battle with LTE for use as a next generation standard. I recall 5 or 6 years ago it looked like it would be a serious option, but customer equipment took an age to appear and spectrum was never available for its use in a cellular systems. LTE is rather superior technically and has greater support amongst the big network and handset makers (not to mention operators). Even Sprint, who bet the house on Wimax to give them an advantage vs. AT&T and Verizon in the US market, are rumoured to be considering scrapping it and deploying LTE onto their spectrum to give them compatibility with the rest of the market. T-Mobile have been sniffing around them as an acquisition target for a few years, but were originally put off by technology incompatibility. A likely longer term use of Wimax is in wireless local telephone/ broadband loops in a fixed mode on higher frequency spectrum. I've seen this in Eastern Europe and there is talk of using it to provide universal broadband access in the UK.

Personally, I'd be surprised if a 2012 iPhone had LTE - Apple don't tend to be technology innovators, rather they are experience creators. We shall see, eh?

The next couple of years are going to be interesting for those of us in the industry as many European countries are auctioning their 'digital dividend' spectrum (now available because of the digital TV switchover). That means auctions, potential new entrants and new operating models based on the lessons we learnt from the 3G era. Happy days. We in the UK have rather messed things up so far - we've had several false starts at freeing up the spectrum and defining the auction rules. The current thinking is for a Q1 or Q2 auction, with networks deploying sometime in late 2012. We shall see.

Sorry for the long post - hope it was useful!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Depends how good your eyesight is :wink:

My iPad screen seems depressingly pixel-y and dull compared to the iPhone 4 screen

That's because it's bigger. My 15.4" laptop has a native res of 1920x1200. So does my 24" computer monitor. The monitor has visible pixels because they're bigger. Logical, really. ;)
    If they bring out an iPad with double the resolution expect half the battery life, more or less.

cheers guys, some really interesting points made, appreciated very much

andy

Grand Master

I think we can safely say after the recent debate on iPhone that an iPhone 4GS will be with us before christmas!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    That's because it's bigger. My 15.4" laptop has a native res of 1920x1200. So does my 24" computer monitor. The monitor has visible pixels because they're bigger. Logical, really. ;)
    If they bring out an iPad with double the resolution expect half the battery life, more or less.
    Well, duh... :wink: :P

The advantage of the high resolution of the phone screen is the ability to read text on web pages without the need to zoom in and scroll around. It makes it a much more fluid process (as long as your eyes are good enough!).

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomp
    For information about 4g, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G .

To be honest, by the time this is rolled out and widely available in your area (unless you live in Slough :D ) your contract will have likely come around again. I work 'kind' of in the industry and there hasn't been that much talk of 4g yet, I tend tend to keep up to speed with these sorts of things. It does look like web browsing will be a joy on a 4g connection!
    No-one really seemed to have twigged that the only carriers advertising "4G" technology aren't actually offering what is universally agreed to be 4G technology. Basically they're fibbing to try to generate a bit of interest. In America, the so-called "4G" network routinely achieves lower speeds than 3.5G elsewhere.

Perhaps things like "details" and "facts" don't really matter any more.

Why not just skip a generation and call it 5G then invent some handy obfuscating buzzwords for the masses to lap up :shock:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by mrteatime
    about 1g..........

:D :D