closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-50 or PRS-50B

PRS-50 or PRS-50B

Ok - It is watch purchase time again and I am looking at the PRS-50 or the PRS-50B and I really can't decide. The classic look of the PRS-50B is nice, but the PRS-50 has character that is certainly unique (FF Bund - with the No Rads). I just can't decide. There are lots of pictures of the PRS-50, but few of the PRS-50B being warn (I guess that is just because it is newer).

I currently own the PRS-17C and the PRS-53. I am most certainly getting the PRS-14 and the PRS-5 when they become available again, but for now I am stuck between the PRS-50 or B.

Classic Look or Unique Character...

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, photos?

Lehnsherr

Re: PRS-50 or PRS-50B

My PRS-50 just arrived yesterday.
    I chose the PRS-50 because:

-I like the no radiation disc
    -Prefer sapphire crystal
    -I think the 50 has a cleaner dial, kind of one glance tells the time effect
    -I would prefer to have a date
    -I think it would be easier getting an ETA 2824-2 repaired since it is still in production and most watchmakers would know what it is.

PRS-50A ... no contest. It has one of the best dial printings I have ever seen. I had an A and regret selling it (there are only so many watches one can wear). I also had a B on the pass-around.

Plus, with the A you get extra thick sapphire.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    PRS-50A ... no contest
    +1

Have had both and other than the case they are very very different... the case is the only think I like on the PRS-50B whilst the A is just lovely in every way. Am on my second A after (stupidly) selling my first one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    PRS-50A ... no contest
    +1

Have had both and other than the case they are very very different... the case is the only think I like on the PRS-50B whilst the A is just lovely in every way. Am on my second A after (stupidly) selling my first one!
    The only reason I don't have a PRS-50A is because I think that the PRS-18A is more "authentic" with what I am trying to do, even tho the PRS-50A is a superior watch.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

PRS50 for me. The B is nice, just not as nice as the PRS50...
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman

Difficult one - depands on your state of mind, wheather...etc.
    Based on my experience: wrist time: 50/50, so ...back to the drawing board:)

Before I got the 50B I would have said the 50A but after a couple of weeks I now wear the B much more than I ever wore the 50ALE to the point that I'm thinking of punting it :shock: :shock:

I think that you need to try them both just to be sure :wink:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish42
    I am most certainly getting the PRS-14 and the PRS-5 when they become available again
    I think you'll have to get your '14 from the SC as I believe there'll not be any more new.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionfish42
    I am most certainly getting the PRS-14 and the PRS-5 when they become available again
    I think you'll have to get your '14 from the SC as I believe there'll not be any more new.
    iirc eddie said there were a few more cases floating about.........

regarding the 50 vs 50b debate, i would go for the 50 myself. i had a 50b on the passaround and it surely is a lovely beast, but the 50 is just that bit more distinctive and i love a bit of colour on a watch.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

There's a reason why lots of 50Bs appear on SC but 50s are like hen's teeth...

I have both and I wear the B more. Can't say what it is but the watch just feels right.

I thought I would ask Eddie about the future of both the PRS-50 and PRS-50B...

Here is his response...

"The 50B will go first Michael, I have only 23 remaining and don't have the movements to make more at this time. I have about 80 of the 50 and can make more when these are sold."

That seems to me, that if you want a PRS-50B - it is pretty much now or never.

I am placing my order for the PRS-50B and as much as I want the PRS-50 - it looks like from the popularity and the availability of components, that I can (hopefully) pick one up later. I really want them both!

Thanks for your input - they are both great watches!

I like the '50 a lot, I just can't get on with "No RadiationS" - it's an uncountable noun FFS :twisted:

I know the original FF was like that and I've bitched about it before, but it just ain't right :D

Cheers

Stern

The A is the one to have...

I would like the B as well though :shock:

B - to my mind it is just more elegant.

I've owned the original, and had the pleasure of a week or two with the B on the passaround. I much preferred the latter (see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=81305&p=940651).

It feels like a pure style and individual preference piece unless you get deeply into movement issues..

I'd go for the original over the B at the moment, although a few month ago I'd have got the B. I suspect I'm really at A but with different hands!

Have a look at the Blancpain pictures which are around to get a different sense ..

Mark

I really liked the "B" and still can't think why I let it go. Would have another when funds allow.

Got to be the 50B. For the movement and it's connection with Lip/Blancpain. The look of the piece ( I prefer the earlier dated watches in the FF pantheon).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    I really liked the "B" and still can't think why I let it go. Would have another when funds allow.
    very nice pics there steve
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I think both are very attractive on a Mesh. Here's mine--with a comment that I made when I originally switched the bracelet about a year ago:

I really don't like this watch on a strap yet...rubber or leather. But I love it on this mesh--plus it just seems to balance the watch perfectly.

I like mine on this strap:

Journeyman

i'm battling with the same question myself. i was really drawn to the 50b because of the dial and domed crystal. now that it is sold out (with no more coming i think? atleast there isn't a mention of it on the page) i've been trying to fall in love with the plain 50.

i'm worried the flat crystal and the norads logo will make it seem more like a modern watch. i know the story behind the logo but it still feels a bit childish. just like the navy seals etc on watches.

the thing i'm trying to ask if any of you who have/had the prs-50, felt that the norads logo pops out too much, or if the flat crystal is too blingy or anything for a "historic" timepiece?

edit: also it seems the 50(a) is missing second hand lume? is this correct?

PRS-50 or PRS-50B

Hi , I am new here, I would really like one of these, could somebody point me in the right direction as I can't find any info on them?
    Thank you and merry Xmas
    Keith

Here's a link. All watch brands for sale are posted at the top of the home page.

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

You mine as well order the prs-14 as well while it's in stock - I know I should, but too many watches already this year.