closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A fighter pilots close shave !!!!

A fighter pilots close shave !!!!

Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Re: A fighter pilots close shave !!!!

Jesus, how lucky or unlucky is that!!!, bet he enjoyed his bext beer! :D

Thanks for the link. Far too close for my taste! My arse would have been playing a tune for sure!! :mrgreen:

jeff

Banned

:shock: sound ...i have a morbid fascination with plane crashers and always watch aircrash investigation :?

I bet he got a fair old bollocking from his gaffer, i reckon that jet cost a few bob more than me old Honda civic

John :lol:

The seat was a Martin Baker for those interested, means the chap can now buy a Bremont MB1 if he so chooses ;)

Had a nice chat with the Martin Baker chaps yesterday, fascinating stuff they get up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    The seat was a Martin Baker for those interested, means the chap can now buy a Bremont MB1 if he so chooses ;)
    It was worth ditching a hundred million dollars worth of plane and almost getting killed just for that, a true WIS :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Martin Baker will also present him with a nice tie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e
    Martin Baker will also present him with a nice tie!!!
    Indeed, the chap who's MB1 I photographed above was wearing his tie too ;)

Master

wonder what he was wearing at the time

His reactions were pretty impressive, weren't they? It seems like only a split second between the plane stalling and it hitting the ground, by which point he's well clear, thanks to Messrs Martin & Baker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    It was worth ditching a hundred million dollars worth of plane and almost getting killed just for that, a true WIS :D
    Are you sure they are that expensive? I thought they were around $35M for the base model.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Are you sure they are that expensive? I thought they were around $35M for the base model.
    But if they're anything like Mercedes Benz the base model won't include an ejector seat. :roll:
    :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I had an enquiry in 2005 from a company wishing to commission a watch for presentation to pilots who had ejected from an aircraft using the ejector seat that they manufactured. I costed it all and gave them the details, never to hear from them again. I wonder if it was MB?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I had an enquiry in 2005 from a company wishing to commission a watch for presentation to pilots who had ejected from an aircraft using the ejector seat that they manufactured. I costed it all and gave them the details, never to hear from them again. I wonder if it was MB?

Eddie
    Interesting, it could have also been Goodrich who are the other 'main' ejection seat manufacturers (there are other Chinese manufacturers*, of course). This famous, and stunning picture, is a Goodrich seat from

Full size image here: http://www.avweb.com/newspics/DavisTbirdEject.jpg
    Some more info on above incident here: http://www.ejectionsite.com/thunderbird6.htm
    On-Board footage here: http://www.ejectionsite.com/eyewitness/tbirdeject.wmv

Bottom line was the height above sea level wasn't zeroed at the performance so he started the loop manoeuvre roughly 1000ft too low!

* A little side story on this... chatting with Martin Baker on Sunday they were taking about these Chinese manufacturers who did an EXACT replica of their current seat and sold it as such, the Pakistan Air Force bought a batch of them believing them to be genuine Martin Baker seats only to discover they were essentially 'fakes'. Martin Baker have been supplying the Pakistan Air Force for years so the situation was soon corrected, but just goes to show it's not just Watches that the Chinese are copying ;)

Had a nice chat with the Martin Baker chaps yesterday, fascinating stuff they get up to!
    Jon are you now an official Bremont sponsor :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON

Bet he got the Martin Baker G-String :mrgreen: :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON

Bet he got the Martin Baker G-String :mrgreen: :lol:
    Ha ha... :lol:

Glad he made it out okay.

I actually caught an old Clarkson documentary on Dave the other day where he talked to a group of pilots. They have a club for all those who had ejected from aircraft and, as a previous poster mentioned, a special tie.

All of the pilots mentioned how they had suffered some injuries from using the seat (e.g. back problems), whilst most of them seemed to say that they had actually become shorter post ejection! Still, they all also said that they'd probably be dead were it not for the seat, so I guess losing a bit of height isn't too big a deal!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

The seat is is a Martin-Baker Mk CDN10S.

There are a number of companies that manufacture ejection seats, Martin-Baker being the "Rolex" of the group.* Others are:

Boeing Aircraft Corporation
    McDonnel-Douglas Aircraft Corporation (now part of Boeing)
    Weber Aircraft Corporation
    Universal Propulsion Corporation
    Stencil Aero Engineering Corporation
    Aircraft Mechanics Incorporated
    Zvezda

Companies that once made seats, but no longer do, or have gone out of business:

Stanley Aviation (they made the original Space Shuttle ejection seats)
    Republic Aviation
    Northrop Aircraft
    Lockheed Aircraft Corporation
    Glen Martin Aircraft
    Canadair
    North American/Rockwell

The US Navy uses one of two different types of Martin-Baker designs in the F-18 family, the SJU-5/A, based on the Martin-Baker Mk 10L, or the the SJU-17 is based on the Mk 14. The SJU-5/A is being phased out in favor of the SJU-17/A. The major difference between the SJU-5A and the SJU-17A is the main chute drogue gun is replaced by an extraction rocket in the SJU-17A. The SJU-17 NACES is the US Navy common** ejection seat, alpha-numeric designators differentiate the specific airframe application.

The F-16 ejection pictured above is the USAF ACES II ejection seat. The ACES II seat is the USAF common ejection seat, used in the A-10, B-1B, F-15, F-16 and F-22. These were manufactured by McDonnel-Douglas (now Boeing), Webber Aircraft Corp., and B.F. Goodrich (Universal Propulsion).

** In reality the "common" NACES is only common to the F-18 family and the T-45, the EA-6B still uses the GRU-7EA seat, this design is a variant of the MB Mk-7, the AV-8B uses the Stencil SJU-4/A.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    But if they're anything like Mercedes Benz the base model won't include an ejector seat.
    The Canadians got a bargain when they bought the CF-18, they were approximately US$ 16 million apiece, about half what the USN paid for theirs. However, the CF-18 did not have much of the expensive attack software and other stuff we had on ours. The Canadians would spend about US$ 175 million to upgrade 72 of their CF-18 to have near the same capabilities as the USN's F/A-18A+'s.

All, in all, it's still a bargain....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by K300
    wonder what he was wearing at the time
    Hopefully his brown underwear :shock:
    Glad he made it out okay.

:shock: I had not noticed this one before. The skill and reaction of a fighter piot will always amaze me.

I saw this on the news, amazing pictures!!