closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko diver dilemma

Journeyman

Seiko diver dilemma

Hello,

Hope you are all having a good day.

After some lurking and drooling over pictures on internet i decided i want a Seiko Diver.
    Something I can wear everyday, with both casual and smart outfit.

SKX007 is too small (8+in wrists), Monster is too "toolish". Love the Marinemaster, but out of my budget

So we have the SRP043. Looking great on thick leather. Got something flieger-ish and cool on it.

Then we have the everyone's favourite - the Sumo.
    Do not get this bezel numbers, but found Yobokies is selling alternative bezel inserts. Why not to put marinemaster hands as well.
    It is got very nice case with great vintage feel. Will look great on Waffle rubber strap

Looking them on pictures I like both and cannot decide which one. Keeping in mind the Sumo will cost two times more the 043. What do you think

pictures by yobokies and flickr

Re: Seiko diver dilemma

They have good but different movements (closely related though) so you pay your money and take your choice.

I beleive the SRP and Sumo are around the same size as the SKX, so if you want bigger go for an SKA (BFK).

I stubbled across the SRP043 for thr first time this week and I love it.

I know there are mixed views on them because they look like Sinns, but from the research i did, it appears everyone that bought one is very happy with it.

It looks great on metal, rubber, or leather, so works for many occasions.

If i had a bit more spare cash at the moment, I would be buying one today.

Have you seen the newly released (This month) Seiko 'Samo' SBDC007

Seiko have completely lost the plot with this one

It's like a revamped Sumo with bits from a Samurai and a Monster,

Still has the Sumo's 6R15 with Hardlex, no upgraded changes, but they're asking £750 :shock: :roll:

They really have lost the plot

Journeyman

To be honest i had never seen them in person and appreciate every comment.

This SBDC007 is not too shabby. Bit pricey at 1000 euro I am afraid :) That is almost Marinemaster territory.

About the case size, maybe I am wrong, but my impression is that both SRP043 and Sumo are wearing larger than skx***.

Master

the sumo is more of a dress divers, and has a lower profile on the wrist with the steel bracelet.....however having owned a few sumo's i was left a little disapointed....

however, given the option then i would go for one of these

much more presence then the seiko and more individual, better movt, better bracelet and sits about right on your wrist.....

im not knocking the 007,s or 6309's as im a massive fan, but if you want something less toolish then i reckon the way to go is with the above

http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

Craftsman

Sumo all the way. The aftermarket bezel insert makes all the difference.
    Mark

love that strap on the 043, look great.
    And

Blog Entries

Go for the Sinn clone.
    That's got that simple toolish look about it.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by mrteatime
    the sumo is more of a dress divers, and has a lower profile on the wrist with the steel bracelet.....however having owned a few sumo's i was left a little disapointed....

much more presence then the seiko and more individual, better movt, better bracelet and sits about right on your wrist.....

im not knocking the 007,s or 6309's as im a massive fan, but if you want something less toolish then i reckon the way to go is with the above

This is so nice. I am just not very sure about the size.
    From all watches I tried i liked most the size of Planet Ocean XL. Which is quite big wearing.

Journeyman

My vote goes to the Sumo. More movement, more quality casing and bracelet, better dial, more everything than any other of the listed Seikos. The only negative could be the tapering down of the bracelet as it's a bit thin looking up to the watch case, YMMV.

Sumo all the way...best and most surprising purchase of the year. It performs above its weight class on almost all accounts...fits and wears the best of my Seiko divers. Comes on a nice bracelet for the suit crowd, looks positively tool-like on the MM rubber strap, and if you're willing to explore somewhat it can pull off a leather strap just as well.

The other option to the Sumo and Flieger-diver, may well be the SKA371 "BFK"...also a real favorite and built like a tank, very Rolex DSSD-like without the price tag. All come with excellent movements and drilled lugs, they really just lack sapphire crystals IMO.

I too like the SRP043 and it is next on my new Seiko list to get, but I recommend price shopping on the net. If you are patient and play the game you can get two of the above choices for the full retail price of one Sumo. I bought mine second hand and it was a steal, same with the BFK, so shop the forums for sales posts, they come up on a regular basis or put in a WTB add. Also, the bracelet on the BFK and SRP043 are the same, so get one and then other on the rubber to save cash and have both options available to swap around.

Yoeman's blog also has perfect Sumo and Flieger photos, but even these don't do the intricate case detailing justice. IMO leaves many other "old" style cases far behind as far as modern styling and aesthetics. One of Seiko's best bar none.

http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... m-sbdc001/
    http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... -srp043k2/

HTH,

Mike

Here are mine just to give you a better idea. They all represent great value for the money. I have the SKA383 Caesar as well, but that doesn't sound like your cup of tea (it is very unique and tall)....

Quote Originally Posted by mrteatime

+1 on that :!:

You cannot go wrong with Seiko however the Precista is a high quality watch with superb lume.If You cannot decide just flip a coin!

Journeyman

I cannot understand what people have against the sumo bezel or hands. I think it works remarkably well together and is one of the best looking diving watches I've seen.

But I suppose therein lies the issue - everyone has different tastes.

The precista also looks lovely, although I don't know much about these. I like the italic name on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by oddgitt
    I cannot understand what people have against the sumo bezel or hands. I think it works remarkably well together and is one of the best looking diving watches I've seen.

But I suppose therein lies the issue - everyone has different tastes.

The precista also looks lovely, although I don't know much about these. I like the italic name on the dial.
    I should have said +2 earlier :wink:

But what do I know :?

I do know the Precista is a great watch though and the OP would not go wrong with one, but obviously I kinder like the Seiko also, albiet oldish and modded ones !

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    I beleive the SRP and Sumo are around the same size as the SKX, so if you want bigger go for an SKA (BFK).
    The "Sumo" is much larger than the SKX007. In fact, it's larger than the Marine Master.

Best,
    Myles

Blog Entries

Some serious Cross-Forum Posting: I posted the OPs pics on the Dutch Horlogeforum.nl (Hope the OP doesn't mind). Rob from Monsterwatches showed us two pics of the same configuration. Both watches are 'on the shelf' in his webshop.

Anyway, this pic's angle is somewhat different. Imho, the aftermarket bezel makes the Sumo look a little less large. And with the aftermarket, the Sumo has more 'divers presence'. Missing the small ring around the bezel's pip, though.

Menno

Beautiful pair of watches :)

Ryan

he did it.. i still recommend sumo as entry

Journeyman

Is that Sumo with Marinemaster dial and hands ? Looks great !

I saw aftermarket marinemaster hands, but the dial... Is it available somewhere ?

Journeyman

Pls note that fitting a MM dial on a Sumo is not a plug and play done deal. They seat differently.

As for getting the dial, I'm not aware of any seller who offers it "regularly".

Blog Entries

This is great info while searching for a Seiko diver!
    It would be nice to have a comparison with the 007 too.

Master

For me, the Sumos best bit is the large font bezel.

I really like the SRP043, it's a good size and so easy to read. It's on my list of potential next (non G Shock) watch that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap
    I really like the SRP043, it's a good size and so easy to read. It's on my list of potential next (non G Shock) watch that I want.
    ...and it does look good on that leather strap.

Master

...and it does look good on that leather strap.
    Andy Tims' recent(ish) pictures of his made me want another. 8)

Of the Seiko's I would probably go for the SRP043 but the PRS-3 is in a different league for not too much more dosh. Plus they seem to come up on SC reasonably regularly. If I was doing the Seiko thing I would probably go with the Bay as they come up pretty regular if you search the US site - EU sites don't carry them.