closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GumTree Scams

Craftsman

GumTree Scams

I have recently tried using Gumtree and bought a couple of items, but there do seem to be alot of dodgy vehicles. :evil:

If you look for campers, especially VW, they are too cheap, are they harvesting email/details or some other scam?

I am looking for a small car for my son and responded to an ad for a Fiat Punto and received this:-

Hello,

I appreciate that you contacted me. First let me say that the 2005 Fiat Punto with 27000 miles is available for £1,300 + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address or full postal code in your next email.

This car never had paintwork and needs nothing. One of the best all around driving cars you can buy. If you have been waiting on a real clean enthusiast owned Fiat, you have found it.

Probably the cleanest vehicle for sale anywhere. The interior is very clean and the body of the car is in perfect condition, no dents, dings, cracks or scratches anywhere. The engine runs very smooth and strong without any mechanical issues. The transmission is also in perfect condition running without any issues.

The road tax is valid until Dec 2010 and the MOT expire on Jul 2011.

This vehicle comes with the following options:

1,242 cc engine, Manual Transmission, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Windows, Sunroof, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts.

A Totally Rust, Corrosion Free Vehicle. Never been in any accidents. HPI Clear.

I purchased the vehicle from England and used it while I worked there. Now because of the financial crisis I moved back to my home country, Czech Republic. I brought the vehicle in Czech Republic with me, but as the crisis is getting worse I can't afford to keep it anymore. Probably you are wondering why I am selling it for such a low price. The market price for right handed vehicles is low here and having a lower price than the UK market will bring me a buyer faster than having a high one.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask.

Best Regards,
    Cazluv

Clearly a scam of some sort, is this to get my details or do they really expect someone to pay for car and trust it will be shipped?

I also found that by googling telephone numbers from some car ads, this oftens shows up multiple ads for different cars, are they just a trader pretending to be a private seller?

Any other experiences?

Martin

Re: GumTree Scams

Common scam with car sales I'm afraid... came across 2 very very similar emails when enquiring about cars for my wife around this time last year.

If the price is too cheap to be true... it usually is :(

A good check is to run the advert header in Search, to look for earlier listings - you often find the same ad, or similarly worded, with different prices, seller's name and postcodes shown.

Gumtree = Scamtree
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'm barred from gumtree for placing ads wanting to buy airguns

It must be a lifetime ban as it was a couple of years ago :lol:

John :D

Master

enthusiast owned Fiat
    An oxymoron if ever there was one :D

Some bloke was trying to sell Ltd edt SM JB 40th Anniversay on it for 450 !!!

actually went to see it just for the sake of it , what a joke!!!!

like something out of a lucky bag !!!

No feedback means anything goes!

>Any other experiences?<
    I had exactly the same experience with a guy selling a 500 CLS cheap, he was also "abroad"

Master
    Blog Entries

Terrible source to use for buying. It attracts the lowest of the low I'm afraid. If it seems suspect, it probably is. :-(

I once posted a genuine ad wanting to rent a room in my house out for just £10 a month, all bills included plus full use of broadband, TV, etc to a 20-year old, single hotty. Not a single reply. Should I have asked for £5 a month?