closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whats best way of removing light scratches off watch?

Whats best way of removing light scratches off watch?

SM 300 clasp is bit scratched, nothing deep just the usual desk marks.

Anyway of removing these myself without paying jeweller for polishing it , as rest of casing an strap is fine?

Master

Re: Whats best way of removing light scratches off watch?

If it's brushed finish, I use a green (non-metallic) brillo pad as used for washing up! Depending on how bad the scratches, starting of firm then going lighter and lighter in pressure. The key is moving in dead straight lines. Done this loads of times on bracelets and clasps.

If it's a polished finish you'll probably find Cape Cod polishing cloths come highly recommended, but they only remove the lightest of scratches. Anything deeper, ie that you can feel not just see, is likely to need more professional attention or some kind of mechanical polishing which I haven't ever risked!

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by frp422
    If it's brushed finish, I use a green (non-metallic) brillo pad as used for washing up! Depending on how bad the scratches, starting of firm then going lighter and lighter in pressure. The key is moving in dead straight lines. Done this loads of times on bracelets and clasps.

If it's a polished finish you'll probably find Cape Cod polishing cloths come highly recommended, but they only remove the lightest of scratches. Anything deeper, ie that you can feel not just see, is likely to need more professional attention or some kind of mechanical polishing which I haven't ever risked!

Anthony

Thanks - will try on my Tissot first before I tackle the SM

I would use something called Garry block (or something like that) will confirm the name when i get back home.
    It like a big eraser.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower
    I would use something called Garry block (or something like that) will confirm the name when i get back home.
    It like a big eraser.
    Yes Garryflex it what it's called

I have used Garryflex blocks and acheived great results and also the sponge scrubbing pad mentioned earlier too like this

Both give great results on brushed clasps but with the Garryflex block you can do more detailed work and they come in different grades.

Grand Master

I`ve used the green abrasive pads to good effect; I`m also a big fan of the fibreglass brush. 1000grade or 1200 grade wet and dry paper is also good, or 800 grade if a slightly heavier finish is needed. All MUST be applied in dead straight lines which is harder than it sounds and needs practice.

However, if the scratching is deep, non of these methods will remove it but they will disguise it somewhat. To remove deep scratches requires a harsher approach, such as 320 grade wet and dry until the damage is removed followed by a finer grade to finish.

After removing the scratches/damage with 320 grade, an alternative is to polish the metal smooth using metal polish and then reapply the brushed finish with one of the methods described.

Another trick is to wrap the wet and dry paper around a pencil eraser with sharp corners; v. useful for doing detail stuff.

If the final result looks a little patchy, continue until it looks even. I sometimes apply a VERY light finish using a Cape Cod cloth or T-Cut, which 'softens' the finish a little. Too much of this will remove the brushed effect, which is not the aim!

PRACTICE before tackling aything valuable and get some confidence with these techniques; that's how I learned.

Paul

I have just had my Tissot Touch back from a full on service, it is titanium with a brushed finish. Last year I thought I should clean it up and used a metal polish, it did the job but lost some of its brushed finish. Since back from service it looks brand new again, I would love to know how they restored the finish.

I was recommended to use "Scotch Brite" abrasive pads from the likes of Tescos. You get a 3 pack for a couple of quid. Worked a treat on my brushed finish Seikos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    It like a big eraser.

I have used Garryflex blocks and acheived great results and also the sponge scrubbing pad mentioned earlier too like this

Both give great results on brushed clasps but with the Garryflex block you can do more detailed work and they come in different grades.

That's the one ! I had a really tired Rolex, and i was very impressed with the results i achieved with just an hours worth of work.

Whats best way of removing light scratches off watch?

Where can this Garryflexx be bought from ? Thanks again for all those who have helped.

Master

I couldn't find a local supplier, so I got mine from eBay.

Bought mine off ebay too.

Master

Cape cod cloths anytime....spend some time rubbing it in and polish away.....everything looks new. :)

I think the OP needs the brushed effect so cape cod won't do as it will polish it.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II
    It like a big eraser.

That's the one ! I had a really tired Rolex, and i was very impressed with the results i achieved with just an hours worth of work.
    Totally agree, Garryflex is great! Just used the fine 240 grit to re-touch the clasp on the PO, looks as good as new now. Even if i do say so myself :lol: