timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Movements

Journeyman

Re: Movements

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Are you really sure about the orange GMT hand Eddie???
    I'm rarely 100% sure about anything :wink: . What would you do?

Eddie
    I don't remember who made this desing. It was on of many when this was discussed years back.

But I like the bigger triangle at the end that is just the size of the minute track. Also the black arm on the gmt hand makes it dissappear on the dial which looks quite 8) IMO

Very balanced desing and still looks very much like the original DN

+1 on the above. The DN looks better with a larger arrowhead on the 24HR hand. The SBIII would look better with a smaller arrowhead.

Silly question

Is the DN GMT going to be the same hi-spec watch as the original (albeit with a different movement), or are we discussing a completely new version?

I am for the DN GMT, but it ainīt gonna be cheap, for sure, if it has the same specs as the original....

Master

I've been trying to think why I'm not too keen on the SB version.

I think the whole beauty of these watches is the simple uncluttered dial, and for me the 24 hour dial not only detracts from that, but the fact that it is contrasted almost highlights it. The orange hand then draws the eye to it further especially as the arrow part is rather large.

I would prefer a more discreet colour hand (green or red maybe) with the 24 hour markers discreetly written on the outer edge.

I quite like the explorer-esque design but agree it's been done to death.

The DN version is an absolute winner as it stands and I can feel some OCD constant refreshing of this site coming on until I have one in my possession :roll: :D :D

Are you really sure about the orange GMT hand Eddie???
    I'm rarely 100% sure about anything :wink: . What would you do?

Eddie
    Just a superquick and superdirty..... not even the numbers are there, but you get the idea.

The black ring on the dial is UV coated.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

What grade are the movements?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Dilettante
    Thanks, but I was fully aware of that. Perhaps I should have phrased my question more succinctly: Are these movements modified to have an independently adjustable 12H hand? I thought there was general agreement here from long ago that this was a key feature for a GMT, perhaps achievable only via quartz these days...
    Not really - more prefer the jet-set traveller's way of doing but by no means all. And besides, even if watch design was democratic, that kind of movement simply isn't available off the shelf.

TBH I can think of few watches that say "bone-dry desk diver" more than a diver that's also a GMT. People who dive don't need to know what hour it is, let alone what hour it is in New York or Zurich, and travellers don't need thousands of m of WR in a huge case unless they're trying to establish cred in a high-powered breakfast meeting etc. If it was me I would put a GMT movement in a watch worn by people who like to know two timezones at once - but as it ain't no democracy, I look forward to being surprised :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Cant wait for this project to materialise 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    100 x DN GMT
    100 x SBIII GMT

Sorted :thumbup:
    That's the current thinking.

Eddie

Then please change my number to 20. Wanted to match my DN # but thats OK.

Master

I'd take an SBIII GMT, that'll be a stunner :)

+1 for the DN GMT

Or a SE for our Scottish members. :mrgreen:

01 of 69.

Journeyman

I suppose the pleas for a Dreadnought are predictable, but it would be the SB3 GMT for me.

However, I agree with the comments that the dial could be toned down a little, maybe with green instead of orange. Also, is the font on the 24hr ring different to the 12hr? The 12hr font, as used on the non-GMT SB3, is a bit retro in style, whereas the 24hr looks more contemporary. I really like the current retro SB3 look, but perhaps the GMT could use the contemporary font throughout?

Quote Originally Posted by Online
    I suppose the pleas for a Dreadnought are predictable, but it would be the SB3 GMT for me.

However, I agree with the comments that the dial could be toned down a little, maybe with green instead of orange. Also, is the font on the 24hr ring different to the 12hr? The 12hr font, as used on the non-GMT SB3, is a bit retro in style, whereas the 24hr looks more contemporary. I really like the current retro SB3 look, but perhaps the GMT could use the contemporary font throughout?
    The font will be the same, I just couldn't find the exact one when I was doing the mock-up.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie,
    assuming you will be doing limited edition numbers, is it possible you will be taking advance requests for 'number x of y?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Or a SE for our Scottish members. :mrgreen:

01 of 69.

Now that I like :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Eddie,
    assuming you will be doing limited edition numbers, is it possible you will be taking advance requests for 'number x of y?

R
    They will all have serial numbers but I haven't decided whether they will be limited yet. Movement availability (or lack of) will dictate the numbers made more than commercial considerations.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Put me down for a DN GMT, any number I'm not fussed.
    Not sure I can afford it but I'll find the money somehow? :)

SBIII GMT could also be nice, but I prefer my GMT's as divers.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Eddie,

R
    They will all have serial numbers but I haven't decided whether they will be limited yet. Movement availability (or lack of) will dictate the numbers made more than commercial considerations.

Eddie
    It's an interesting question as I recall Eddie saying that he's long since given up taking 'dibs' for numbers and indeed any deposits (I wasn't around back then but did Eddie take deposits for the original DN?). With numbers limited to the availability of movements I would guess it will be a bit of a scramble if/when things become available, could it turn into the first 50 SBIII thing where they oversold and some folk were disappointed... :(

It's going to be fun no matter what... put me down for DN GMT #76 just in case though ;)

Yes, please. DN GMT #10 for me.

Master

DN-GMT #13 just in case.

Banned

In for a penny and all that :D

DN-GMT #66 please.

If the production only goes to fifty, #22 tar very much :wink:

Master

DN-GMT #35 please :lol: :lol:

This is ridiculous!!!!!!

Eddie merely mentions a shipment of movements and you lot are all trying to pick off numbers when you don't even know there will be any - nor how many if there are!

Pathetic, the lot of you. :roll:

Get a grip, FFS. :evil:

R

(Number 34 please, Eddie )
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

:D

I care not a jot what number I get just as long as I actually get one, looks like it's going to be fun :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

That's good news...i'll take both of them, #09 for Sb3 Gmt, and #08 for DN Gmt please :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    100 x DN GMT
    100 x SBIII GMT

Sorted :thumbup:
    That's the current thinking.

Eddie

How did i miss this for so long? Dreadnought GMT. Superb!

For what it's worth, number 43 please. :)

Here's hoping :wink:

Number 16 of the DN for me :D

Master

I can see someone developing software to recognise when they go on sale.... and snap them up .... an auction sniper for Time Factors : Speedbird for me please and I wouls not say no the the special Scotish edition :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh fcuk it... just to be safe.

DN #40 please, squire :lol:

Journeyman

DN-GMT for me, and I don't care about what number it is. Just let me know when it is cash time.

Craftsman

I love the idea of the DN Gmt and would be my choice over the SB3 GMT.

However i think the orange tipped GMT hand on the DN needs some further consideration as when the orange GMT hand coincides with the orange minute hand (which they will for a few minutes each hour) they will become IMO indistinguishable from each other. Checking the GMT time at a glance wouldnt be possible. While it looks good it isnt good design.

Wonder what other people think? For me i would buy the DN GMT in a heartbeat if this was sorted.

Master

The DN GMT in particular looks superb

I think the SBIII verson needs some refinement to make the GMT addition as subtle as possible. The DN looks absolutely superb but there is no way my 7" wrist could take a watch that is 54mm lug to lug :(

Would the DN GMT use the same sized case as the original and any idea as to what the cost would be?

PS - Would be interested in #33 if I can raise funds

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    I think the SBIII verson needs some refinement to make the GMT addition as subtle as possible. The DN looks absolutely superb but there is no way my 7" wrist could take a watch that is 54mm lug to lug :(
    I have a 6.75" wrist and have been wearing my Dreadnought every day for the last 2.5 weeks since getting it. I have no problems at all with the size.

Eddie

Very cool (and seems a bit further along than the DN GMT). Is the 'Speedbird' and 'GMT' going to be printed on the dial or is that just for reference on the image?

So there will be a date at 3?

I have to open this discussion again: placement of the 7 and 8 digits on the dial. It seems to me, having studied my SBIII in detail and compared with my SBII that with the serif font on the SBIII the 7 and 8 should align with the very left hand edge of the serif in the 10 and 11, not be centred under them. That would remove the distance discrepancy that exists.

Eddie
    It looks like the date will now be at the 3 position. Is there a reason why it has been moved from 6, perhaps the movement doesn't allow it to be at 6? If that's the case then it's a shame, I think 6 is a much better position than 3.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    So there will be a date at 3?

I have to open this discussion again: placement of the 7 and 8 digits on the dial. It seems to me, having studied my SBIII in detail and compared with my SBII that with the serif font on the SBIII the 7 and 8 should align with the very left hand edge of the serif in the 10 and 11, not be centred under them. That would remove the distance discrepancy that exists.
    You mean like that?

Yup. Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by ock1f
    i think the orange tipped GMT hand on the DN needs some further consideration as when the orange GMT hand coincides with the orange minute hand (which they will for a few minutes each hour) they will become IMO indistinguishable from each other. Checking the GMT time at a glance wouldnt be possible. While it looks good it isnt good design.

Wonder what other people think? For me i would buy the DN GMT in a heartbeat if this was sorted.
    Agreed, IMO the black GMT hand with the big arrowhead on the mockup works better than the all orange one shown in the top photo - whether that can be changed is a question for the big cheese to answer :D

I can clearly see there is a difference but you're going to have to explain to me what's been moved and why.

Eddie

Odd. You've moved the 4 and 5?

I leave that to Glamdring, I was just executing his idea ;-)

This was my attempt a couple of years ago to illustrate the alignment issue:

I am not sure how helpful this is but it does appear to show that the 10, 8, 7 and 4 numerals are perhaps shifted too far to the right on the SBIII. The asymmetry is certainly something I am sensitive to and, rational or not, is perhaps the only reason I have not bought one of these watches.
    Martin

I thought I had the answer but as usual I'm wrong. I know the SBII has no misalignment so I put it down to the different fonts used.