closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub C madness !!!

Master

Sub C madness !!!

Now Watchfinder are at it, new Rolex Sub for six thousand of your hard earned pounds :shock:

Re: Sub C madness !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers
    Now Watchfinder are at it, new Rolex Sub for six thousand of your hard earned pounds :shock:
    As expected really - hopefully the market will settle down in a few months.

So you pay £3,000 more than a decent condition traditional Sub Date can be had for, yet end-up with a less attractive and more fragile watch? No thanks! (But then I would rather wear my 1972 Seiko "Panda" over a SubC, so what do I know?!) :lol:

Master

When you think about it I'm sure it does Watchfinder more harm putting the Sub-c up at £6000. Ok the might earn £1500 on one watch but there must be a lot of people thinking they are a bunch of sharks? £2-300 profit and it would sell quick and generate alot of traffic from people looking for the next one?

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG
    So you pay £3,000 more than a decent condition traditional Sub Date can be had for, yet end-up with a less attractive and more fragile watch? No thanks! (But then I would rather wear my 1972 Seiko "Panda" over a SubC, so what do I know?!) :lol:
    Same here regarding Panda-subC

Journeyman

I wish I'd got myself on a waiting list for one of these! Seriously though, that's just disgraceful. Rip-off Britain strikes again. I quite agree that a smaller profit margin would do them more favours. But then I could say that about Rolex as well - justifying big price rises by adding more bling to their classic sports watches. I'm sure they'd do well by a re-issue of some less blinged watches at a cheaper price. A brand new 1675 for say £2.5k would be a really tempting prospect. Likewise, some more basic Subs. Perhaps it would depress the second hand market too much...

Master

A few years ago when the new Milgauss was released nobody blinked an eye when they were for sale at GBP 10K plus; but times have changed and I don't think it will be to their benefit now.
    I was in Singapore when some of the first Milgauss arrived and collectors were offering 25K USD over list price to AD's to get their hands on one of the first. But that was Singapore and then......

Journeyman

YEP... I happened to be there yesterday and actually handled it. They are very smug about it, believing that it's one of the first in the country and therefore they can charge a premium (I've seen others though).

IMO... it's not a pretty watch. The bracelet improvements/clasp are welcome but the ceramic bezel doesn't seem to have the presence of the GMTIIC and the shoulders are too big against the overall dial/bezel diameter making it unbalanced and therefore not elegant.

Give me an SD any day!

Master

Not pretty at all :wink:

I was offered a second one yesterday at a WoS, so I do think that the grey dealers are perhaps overdoing the hype at the moment ......

I'm enjoying mine and suspect that it might well be a keeper - my last subs (date and non date) just lack something to me and went via SC last year. The question is what I let go of - SD, GMTIIC or do I just swallow the outlay ?????

Supply and demand, what can you do? I am sure prices will come down real fast, give it 2 months tops.

Over hyping the scarcity perhaps.

Goldsmiths in Nottm were also hawking the one they had at the weekend as 'one of the first in the UK'...... :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain

Goldsmiths in Nottm were also hawking the one they had at the weekend as 'one of the first in the UK'...... :roll:
    It is though, isn't it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Goldsmiths around the country seem to have a few where those on "the list" have not been so forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain

It is though, isn't it?
    Granted, to the word what they're saying is true, but the implication is huge rarity and scarce numbers. Not the probably more accurate (bet less useful as a sales pitch) 'pretty much every Rolex AD in the country has had at least one and there are plenty more on the way'.

Watchfinder have just quoted me £6250 :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee A Kada
    Watchfinder have just quoted me £6250 :shock:
    Surely they are dreaming! :drunken:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

When you think about it I'm sure it does Watchfinder more harm putting the Sub-c up at £6000. Ok the might earn £1500 on one watch but there must be a lot of people thinking they are a bunch of sharks? £2-300 profit and it would sell quick and generate alot of traffic from people looking for the next one?
    +1 watchescouk are also at it .. :pukeleft:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Silly money !

I have spoke with a few AD's who have said there waiting list is closed..

For someone like myself who didn't get their name on a list what would be a rough idea on time scale to wait before expecting to get my hands on one ?

Thanks

I don't blame Watchfinder for the price if I was the boss there I'd put
    It up for the same price . People will always pay over the top to be
    The first to have anything and fair play to them, it's great to say you
    Were one of the first people to have one in the UK.
    A watch is only worth what someone will pay for it and you know it won't
    Be on there long before it's gone

Craftsman

...more fragile watch?
    What's more fragile about it? The ceramic bezel?

Will the ceramic bezel fit on the old subs ?

Master

For that price if I really want one i'd take a holiday to the states and buy one there wearing it home...stupid money

I was in New York a few weeks ago and a sub LV worked
    Out over €500 more than back in the UK so can't see the
    New Sub being any better :?

Quote Originally Posted by pabr
    ...more fragile watch?
    Yes, ceramic is prone to breaking.
    It's quite brittle.

Has the movement been upgraded as per the GMTIIC (blue para springy thingy) or is it still the same 3135 as per the outgoing Sub?

Grand Master

If I wanted one of these I`d definitely wait till the initial rush has died down. No way would I pay above list just for the dubious priviledge of being the first to own one; that's just silly in my opinion and I don't do 'silly' when money's involved :)

I don`t blame the grey dealers for asking high prices, that's the game they're in and it's up to the buyers to decide whether they're happy to pay over the odds.

With the new list price of around £4.7K, the Sub has gone significantly up-market. 6 months ago it was possible to get decent discounts against the £3.8K being asked for the old model; with a bit of haggling a non-date Sub could be bought for £3K and a date for around £3.4K last Feb-March. Now it's £4.7K minimum if you can get one!

No prizes for guessing what will happen to the price of 'old' models in near-mint condition, even though they are still relatively plentiful. I think we're starting to see the prices edge up already.

Paul

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    ...more fragile watch?
    It's quite brittle.
    Had a look at a bicolour Ceramic Sub recently and I`m impressed by the bezel. As for the risk of damaging it, I reckon the majority of owners won`t have a problem; it will shrug off the minor impacts (scratches etc) that cause damage to the old-style bezel. If it gets dropped or takes a very hard knock, it may crack and that'll be expensive but it's unlikely to happen. On balance I think the new bezel is an advantage despite the potential cost of replacement.

Paul

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    ...more fragile watch?
    It's quite brittle.
    Had a look at a bicolour Ceramic Sub recently and I`m impressed by the bezel. As for the risk of damaging it, I reckon the majority of owners won`t have a problem; it will shrug off the minor impacts (scratches etc) that cause damage to the old-style bezel. If it gets dropped or takes a very hard knock, it may crack and that'll be expensive but it's unlikely to happen. On balance I think the new bezel is an advantage despite the potential cost of replacement.

Paul
    Has any of our many GMT2C owners of this forum had any problems with the bezel? Would be interesting to hear about! Sorry if this is OT

// Patrik

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    ...more fragile watch?
    It's quite brittle.

Paul
    Has any of our many GMT2C owners of this forum had any problems with the bezel? Would be interesting to hear about! Sorry if this is OT

// Patrik
    See here, Bernard et al - specifically my third post on page 1 and my first post on page 2: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131122

Master

[quote=CamCG][quote=pabr][quote=walkerwek1958][quote=Bernard][quote=pabr][quote="CamCG":3pfamh17]...more fragile watch?[/quote]
    What's more fragile about it? The ceramic bezel?[/quote]

It's quite brittle.[/quote]

Paul[/quote]

// Patrik[/quote]

See here, Bernard et al - specifically my third post on page 1 and my first post on page 2: [url="http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131122"]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131122[/url][/quote:3pfamh17]

Drivel :roll:

Master

I was offered one yesterday, another friend bought his at 10% discount... these will never be rare.

Have not seen any green ones available just as easily, but probably will be shortly.

A big :lol: at anyone paying a premium really...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bazza.
    Pretty sure it won't Bazza.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel
    Has the movement been upgraded as per the GMTIIC (blue para springy thingy) or is it still the same 3135 as per the outgoing Sub?
    I'm pretty sure it would have the Parachrome hairspring as that's what's stated in the DSSD which also uses the 3135, in fact I would imagine it's possible to find the old model sub with the Parachrome hairspring?

Quote Originally Posted by bazza.
    Pretty sure it won't Bazza.
    Cheers for that chap, I had one on today was very impressed with it
    I was told if I wanted one I'd have to wait around 3 months