closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival: Chaika

New arrival: Chaika

It arrived while I was away but I've only picked it up yesterday from the post office. Don't know a great deal about it except it is a Chaika 17 jewels from the 80's.

A day after it's gaining a couple of seconds, something I always find amazing on these old Russian watches that which probably never saw a much service.

Came with a folded link chain which I replaced by a leather strap. With kind of cushion-shape cases I always find that bracelets tones-down the case shape. Apart from this, the dial is sparkly!!

Not the greatest photos but here goes.

This is a seller's photo, I forgot to take one of the watch with the original (?) bracelet.

And now on leather:

Re: New arrival: Chaika

Nice watch :) looks better on the leather strap

Funky watch, congrats!

Craftsman

Yeah, it's good. Better on the plain strap as the dial and hands are fairly 'busy' in themselves.

These Russian watches are interesting - I always seem to check ebay whenever someone posts a picture of one on here but haven't gone for it as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell
    Yeah, it's good. Better on the plain strap as the dial and hands are fairly 'busy' in themselves.

These Russian watches are interesting - I always seem to check ebay whenever someone posts a picture of one on here but haven't gone for it as yet.
    They are cheap and interesting like you said. So it's not much of a risk... you can check ebay from time to time and it's not hard to get them very cheap. I won this one with the opening bid. And if you don't like it you can always put it on the SC, shouldn't last long if you aren't looking for a profit.

They are also built like a (Russian) tank, the idea with Russian watches was to build cheap and simple ones that could withstand abuse and the absence of qualified watchmakers.

To me, the worst thing about these watches is that they are usually chrome plated. So if they have a lot of scratches on the case, there isn't much you can do about it.

Master

Do you have any more incoming? 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Do you have any more incoming? 8)
    You know I do :wink:

I have a few more, currently I have 3 being hold by customs :cry: (an Amphibia Rodina, a Poljot Stadium or Egg and a Raketa Perpetual Calendar. The last two are also very funky watches)

And here's the Chaika's movement: