closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your watches vs your car(s)

Your watches vs your car(s)

Having seen some great watch collections here, I was wondering if your watch passion/expense matches or exceeds your car(s) value.

A few Pams can be an equivalent of an Audi A4 new. So if you own some do you drive something matching or less pricy preferring to add another watch to your collection?

For me the car is certainly much more expensive, though it is more of a reflection of only having a few watches rather than how much my car is worth ;)

My cars to watches value index is about 20, what is yours? ;)

Master

Re: Your watches vs your car(s)

About 3:1 watches to car

Probably more than 10:1 in favour of the watches.

For a while now I've taken some odd slightly perverse pleasure in driving a car which is worth less than the watch on my wrist. Both mechanical wonders, but the car depreciation issues just steer me away from serious purchases.

Old ford galaxy that the kids constantly wreck. No point replacing until they stop eating sticky sweets, puking in it and walking on the seats in muddy wellies. Much rather spend the money on watches so about 5:1

I'm a big cars fan. I love cars as much as I love watches. Having changed several of them I now want and have a tool car. A car that needs minimum maintenance and very reliable, but also a one that gives me a little bit of excitement, without this being my first priority. After having an unreliable car that often was giving me trouble taking me to my work, I now want a car that I don't have to think about it.

Not the same with watches. Of course I want reliability there, too, but since I can afford more than one, I have the luxury of having the ones that I like, not only the ones that work and if something goes wrong, I can always replace the broken watch with another until it is fixed.

Also, I wouldn't want to spend so much on a car, since it is in the road and there is always a possibility of having an accident or a scratch, or to be stolen. Obviously my car costs more than my watches. My point is that I wouldn't mind spending much on a watch, but I would mind spend much on a car, talking into account that these are for most people on different price ranges. A 4000 pounds car is a very cheap car, while a 4000 watch is a rather expensive watch.

Master

Around 20:1 Cars:watches for me, but I have no intention of spending much on cars in the near future whereas I may spend something on new watches..

Blog Entries

Haven't got a car or drivers-license.
    So the watch wins all the way :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Awaits Mike Wood's response with eager anticipation! I'm in the same elite car ownership club as mike but I reckon mine is 2:1 in favour of the car still!

Craftsman

2:1 in favor of the car.

tmccambridge

I have about 10k in watches and a car worth about 25. My passion for cars is about as great as it is for watches, though I think I will always keep it fairly relative. As in, my car will always be worth considerably more than whatever watch/es I own at the time as that's the decision I make first. :)

Master

3:2 in favour of my car.

My watches are an Omega Speedmaster and Seamaster and my car is a 9 year old Clio so about 3:1 in favour of watches :)

My car is to get me to work and back other than that I've got no interest in cars.

Master

Pretty even I'd say, however neither is a very large pot.

Someone mentioned "tool" cars, I think this is my current philosophy too. I keep buying large engined BMW estates as do it all cars, but without being anything much to look at. Very fun today as is persisting down and my early 328i has no TC :wink: :) :wink:

Master

4:1 to the watches. I'm not a fan of depreciation. :D

Journeyman

I'd reckon I'm about 3:1 in favour of watches at the moment.
    My car is now a tool, my watches are my luxury.

Craftsman

I'm something like 10 watches against ... 0 car :lol:

After 16 months without car I've broken my promise and ordered one Will take delivery 2nd Sept and on this ocasion I ... bought one more watch :D

Craftsman

About 40:1 in favour of the cars - and I DO have decent watches.

About 25:1 in favour of cars for me at the moment. Bit of a thorny subject for me today, as I was planning to redress the balance somewhat by selling an old MG I have and "investing" the proceeds in another watch, but had it MOT'd today, producing a bill that delivered a square kick in the plums to that plan :(

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AMB
    About 40:1 in favour of the cars - and I DO have decent watches.
    Uhoh. A lot of loasamoney posts these days :?

In my case it's probably about 6:1 in favour of the watches - but I DO have knackered old cars.

Wouldn't ever spend more than £2k on either - and usually spend a lot less (which may explain why i'm rarely on time and always breaking down :lol: )

Journeyman

About 4:1 in favour of the car and I'm trying to stick to it :lol:

Bottom line is, watches are assets while cars are liabilities. Even though I'm a bit of a petrolhead, I don't think I'll spend as much on cars as I would on watches.

2:1 in favour of cars I guess.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

8 to 1 in favour of watches. First time for 15 years it has been this way round, but strangely I'm enjoying it. Always thought of cars first but over the last 8 or 9 months it has been the opposite.

Paddy

I'm slowly coming round to the watches thing and am currently 7:3 in favour of watches. I have a feeling the watch to car ratio is only going to grow in the future though! 8)

Re: Deprecitation???

Quote Originally Posted by fourtaelsgold
    Bottom line is, watches are assets while cars are liabilities. Even though I'm a bit of a petrolhead, I don't think I'll spend as much on cars as I would on watches.
    A few others have mentioned something to the same tune - cars depriciate and watches are not. Having a difficulty to agree, especially if one looks at the SC. A watch is a depreciating asset same as a car, thinking otherwise is imho trying to justify your preference ;)

Craftsman

Well it's about 12:1 watches to car but the car has a jaeger le coultre clock in it:)

Master

Re: Deprecitation???

Quote Originally Posted by jnike
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtaelsgold
    A few others have mentioned something to the same tune - cars depriciate and watches are not. Having a difficulty to agree, especially if one looks at the SC. A watch is a depreciating asset same as a car, thinking otherwise is imho trying to justify your preference ;)

Depends what watches you buy, and how much you pay for them. Many watches quickly fall to maybe 40 or 50% of retail, then stabilise, keeping pace with inflation. Some will stay within 10% of the initial retail price, then rise with inflation.
    If you buy at the bottom, you won't lose.

Nearly all cars will drop to 30-40% after 3 years, and keep dropping every year. A few will then pick up again, as they acquire classic status. Most will be scrapped before they are 20 years old.
    A very few (usually very expensive) cars will appreciate right from the start. These, however, aren't the sort of cars that working folk can afford to buy.

About 50:50 for me :)

Hmm, I'd say there's no comparison - a £3k Rolex needs a service every 5 years, costs say £250 - whereas a £3k car will cost a fortune to tax, insure, fill with petrol, service etc - and will suffer depreciation where the Rolex may actually increase in value

Like I say, at least in the UK, no comparison :roll:

If someone nicked my car, I wouldn't be that bothered, it's just an inanimate object, like a fridge - whether you call it an AMG Mercedes or a ford Focus, it's just a thing for getting from a to b, no matter what the marketing men and Top Gear tells you - they all get scratched in Tesco's car park, most girls don't know what they are and there's always another bloke with a fancier one that thinks it really matters :lol:

But (and I know it's just something to tell the time) if somebody nicked my Sub..... :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    If someone nicked my car, I wouldn't be that bothered, it's just an inanimate object, like a fridge - whether you call it an AMG Mercedes or a ford Focus, it's just a thing for getting from a to b, no matter what the marketing men and Top Gear tells you - they all get scratched in Tesco's car park, most girls don't know what they are and there's always another bloke with a fancier one that thinks it really matters :lol:

But (and I know it's just something to tell the time) if somebody nicked my Sub..... :twisted:
    Despite what one can start believing after reading watch forums ;) NOONE (almost) will notice your watch, but EVERYONE will notice your car :)

Despite what one can start believing after reading watch forums ;) NOONE (almost) will notice your watch, but EVERYONE will notice your car :)
    I don't buy watches or cars to 'get noticed' - actually, since I got a family I tend to look at expensive sports cars and marvel at how desperate the driver must be to get noticed - all that money spent and you can't enjoy it because of speed cameras, and no boot for the weeks shopping. God knows what happens if you need to visit B & Q - and what if the poor love gets a scratch on his pride and joy :lol:

About 20:1 in favour of watches...but that is because i dont have a car and am basing it on my bus pass :lol:

About 60:0 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Company car, you know.)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman

40/60 and rising ... My cars, like most of my watches, are classics ... You can't beat belting over the moors in a 71 TR with a 71 Speedy strapped to the wrist ,, :P ........ and the word depreciation does not enter into the equation 8) ....

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909
    Awaits Mike Wood's response with eager anticipation! I'm in the same elite car ownership club as mike but I reckon mine is 2:1 in favour of the car still!
    :lol: :lol: Slight variation on the theme, forgetting values, I think I possess around 100 watches to each car. :lol: :lol:

Fortunately, I tidied out the garage a bit recently, and two cars went to new homes...

8)

I don't buy watches or cars to 'get noticed' - actually, since I got a family I tend to look at expensive sports cars and marvel at how desperate the driver must be to get noticed - all that money spent and you can't enjoy it because of speed cameras, and no boot for the weeks shopping. God knows what happens if you need to visit B & Q - and what if the poor love gets a scratch on his pride and joy :lol:
    My above point was in reply to "no matter what the marketing men and Top Gear tells you - they all get scratched in Tesco's car park, most girls don't know what they are and there's always another bloke with a fancier one that thinks it really matters" being used as an argument for better value(?) of watches.

This is a bit OT, but whether you care about scratches on your car/watch or wear/drive one to be noticed or marvel at the engineering and design achievements that make your watch/car special is a matter of personal choice and in that respect both cars and watches are very similar :)

The original question wasn't about if you prefer to drive a £3K car or wear a £3K watch, but rather to see whether a collection of watches in one's possession is more or less in value (in terms of price paid) compared to the car(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood
    :lol: :lol: Slight variation on the theme, forgetting values, I think I possess around 100 for each car. :lol: :lol:

Fortunately, I tidied out the garage a bit recently, and two cars went to new homes...

8)
    :) Need to know at least one of the parameters to appreciate the scale (either the total no. of cars or watches ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood
    :lol: :lol: Slight variation on the theme, forgetting values, I think I possess around 100 for each car. :lol: :lol:

8)
    :) Need to know at least one of the parameters to appreciate the scale (either the total no. of cars or watches ;)
    Well, there's the Smart, the Rolls, and my rusty old Porsche... :wink:

A few months ago, it was about 3:2 in favour of my cars. Since then I've bought two new cars and no more watches, so now at 1:6. I keep my cars for 10 years, so this will gradually ("reasonable" German auto depreciation) revert back.

Master

About 10:1 in favour of my car at the moment.

I own a Jaguar XJ.
    Through my work I lease a Hyundai Santa Fé, but usually my GF uses that one.

I've got some 60 watches. The cars (together) are worth more than the watches, but I never really calculated...

Master

My cars to watches value index is about 20, what is yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by James B
    I'm slowly coming round to the watches thing and am currently 7:3 in favour of watches. I have a feeling the watch to car ratio is only going to grow in the future though! 8)
    Your motors are worth less than your watches :shock:

:lol: :lol:

ohhh. Wasn't reading the question properly, my issue at school exams too. I was thinking number of watches vs number of cars. Value ratio is about 12:1 in favour of cars.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by James B
    ohhh. Wasn't reading the question properly, my issue at school exams too. I was thinking number of watches vs number of cars. Value ratio is about 12:1 in favour of cars.
    Was nearly less on Sunday :lol:

tell me about it Dave. :pale:

Journeyman

My BMW 5 series cost £40k 9 years ago. Today it is worth £5k. My watches have increased in number and a few have appreciated quite a bit. So it now stands at 3 to 1 watches to car and will probably be at 5 to 1 before a change the car

Grand Master

Not stating any values or ratios.....but I`m much more comfortable investing money in certain second-hand watches than in cars. Cars only go one way in value and the watches go in the opposite direction if you buy right.

Cars are transient items owned for 3-4 years then replaced; I plan to keep most of my watches a lot longer than that.

Just considering swapping my current car (nearly 4 years old) for something nearly new, costing 3 times its value .......but I know deep down that it's money flushed down the toilet in the long run. That's why I find it easier to buy watches, even though they appear to be a more extravagent purchase. Spending £25K on a car doesn`t surprise people in the same way as spending 3.5K on a 2nd hand Rolex would.

Paul

About 4 to 1 to the watches, the car is not even on the road at the moment as I can't really afford to run it, just tooling around in my works van.

Craftsman

I dont collect watches as such, I just appreciate the engineering and enjoy having a few nice ones :)

.. after 15 years of buying/selling/upgrading I kinda settled on 2 for the last 5 years or so ....whereas cars I spend loads on, thats my main "hobby" I guess ...im always on a trackday, at a motorsport event, touring, or driving to a car meet in my spare time

agree with previous post; - I have 2 watches that are worth a few grand each, pretty much what I paid for them as they were used and had bottomed out when I bought them

the cars...well ...I dont even want to think about it ....I could have retired by now if Id invested what ive spent, and lost on cars in the last 15 years alone :(

I guess at new prices, Ive peaked at 15:1 in favour of the car...then 5 years later thats more like 8:1...thats car depreciation for you !

...that must make collecting used premium watches quite a sensible "investment" in the loosest sense LOL ;)