closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sub vs GMT

Journeyman

Sub vs GMT

Sorry if this has been done to death, but the search function is none too friendly with 3-character searches...

I've never been into Rolex designs, until lately, and was thinking of grabbing a cheapie homage to see if they're even remotely interesting to me. Thing is, I can't decide between a GMT-style or a Sub-style. They seem pretty damn similar except for the bezels and the obvious extra complication on the GMT. I like the "classic" nature of the Sub, but it would be nice to have the GMT function.

Any Rolex fans care to chime in on the attraction of one versus the other?

Re: Sub vs GMT

how about Sub ND, pure, simple.. :wink:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by nicebloke
    Sorry if this has been done to death, but the search function is none too friendly with 3-character searches...

I've never been into Rolex designs, until lately, and was thinking of grabbing a cheapie homage to see if they're even remotely interesting to me. Thing is, I can't decide between a GMT-style or a Sub-style. They seem pretty damn similar except for the bezels and the obvious extra complication on the GMT. I like the "classic" nature of the Sub, but it would be nice to have the GMT function.

Any Rolex fans care to chime in on the attraction of one versus the other?
    Both designs are from the early 50s so are equally "classic".

I've had my GMT with me in 4 time zones in the US over the last couple of weeks and the watch really came into its own. If you travel the independent hour and the way it tells you the time in 3 places at once makes it a genuinely useful tool.

Whereas for most people the sub just tells the time.

+1 for the Sub ND

Each watch has its own plus points but on a day to day basis it is largely down to the amount of input the user does to get the watch going if it has stopped.
    On the Sub no date it is a quick reset of the hands, on the Sub date you have to be aware of whether you are before or after midday in order to set the date correctly.
    On the GMT you have the extra complication on top which does take longer to set up.
    The Sub has the Trip lock which is easier to hold than the Twinlock of the GMT.
    The extra red hand pops on a black GMT and the ability to change the bezel insert colour is attractive on the GMT also.
    I can't decide which I like best as I have 3 x GMT and 4 x Sub/SD!! I think the GMT is the prettier watch with the lighter bracelet but the Twinlock crown does give you more to get hold of on the Sub. I am not keen on the Sub no date, purely from the bracelet and end link point of view.

Peter

Master

Each to their own I think. Once you get one you may well find that the other is also calling.

Starting quite innocently with the GMTIIC I hankered after a proper Sub and bought a 5513 (old non-date Submariner) and then fell for numerous other GMT's and Sub dates. Trust me, it's not a black and white situation :)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Each to their own I think. Once you get one you may well find that the other is also calling.
    I know that feeling!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    The new GMT II c is triplock

Craftsman

Starting quite innocently with the GMTIIC I hankered after a proper Sub and bought a 5513 (old non-date Submariner) and then fell for numerous other GMT's and Sub dates. Trust me, it's not a black and white situation :)

My favorite current Rolex is the blue faced white gold Sub 8) :)

I have a very strong calling to the GMT2C too ... I can see me getting one soon ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5
    Agreed, I noted the word classic in the OP and so gave info on the older models.
    Cheers,
    Peter

The blue faced Sub on white gold is pure watch p0rn.

Craftsman

It could be said that the GMT is a more versatile watch than the Sub, by virtue of it's ability to display 2 time zones simultaneously, plus having a rotating bezel that can be used for elapsed time marking in a similar fashion as the diving bezel on the Sub. Then again, it's probably fair to say the Sub is a more "iconic" Rolex than the GMT, it that's important.

Both are excellent timepieces, my personal choice is a GMT but there's plenty of folk around here that would take a Sub over a GMT. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. Your money, your choice!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ach5
    Agreed, I noted the word classic in the OP and so gave info on the older models.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Apologies - correct you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Africoz
    It could be said that the GMT is a more versatile watch than the Sub, by virtue of it's ability to display 2 time zones simultaneously, plus having a rotating bezel that can be used for elapsed time marking in a similar fashion as the diving bezel on the Sub. Then again, it's probably fair to say the Sub is a more "iconic" Rolex than the GMT, it that's important.

Both are excellent timepieces, my personal choice is a GMT but there's plenty of folk around here that would take a Sub over a GMT. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either. Your money, your choice!

If you look at the all-black bezel on the GMT then you get the look of the sub and the flexibility of the GMT; I like the red/blue bezel personally, but some prefer the black.

viking74

i love the pepsi but ill have to go with the sub

Master

Black GMT for me!

Black GMT for me, I have always preferred the GMT and have never owned or had the desire for a sub. The extra hand really is useful.

The white gold Submariner is stunning! I have just looked at the Rolex website and have noticed that the white gold version isn't available with the black dial / ceramic bezel combination?

Would Rolex allow me to swap out the blue bezel / dial for the black combination of the new stainless steel 116610LN Submariner.

I think an 18k white gold Submariner with a black dial and matching ceramic bezel would look stunning and extremely tempting. :drunken:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Black GMT for me!
    +1

Apprentice

GMT 4 the win! :bounce: