closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A1 ROAD WORKS

Grand Master

A1 ROAD WORKS

Hi

Can anyone understand the new road works on the A1?,I travel up and down it regualrly and can't see why they are doing what they are doing ie,I would have thought another lane either side of the existing A1 would have been a better option giving 3 lanes north and south,but it apperas the existing A1 will become redundant once the new A1 is finished,but they won't as i can see have gained anything,they have taken land to build the new A1 on,and the old A1 will just become grass again.If anyone fully understands maybe I can't see the obvious.

Cheers

Paul

Re: A1 ROAD WORKS

I assume they are not building a new A1 from London to Newcastle..... so which bit are you referring to ?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx
    I assume they are not building a new A1 from London to Newcastle..... so which bit are you referring to ?

Beyond Dishforth,just can't work out what is going on,i wonder if there are any plans for the general pubic to view that gives a detailed before and after!,i guess not somehow but would be great if possible.

The existing A1 is an all-purpose two lane dual carriageway carrying in the region of 45-54,000 vehicles per day with approximately one-quarter being heavy goods vehicles. The route generally follows the 'Dere Street' Roman Road except for deviations at Leeming and Catterick. Constructed in the 1950's and early 60's, the existing A1 fails to meet present day standards for layout and alignment. There are a high number of sub-standard accesses, central reserve crossings and local road junctions. Slow moving agricultural vehicles use the route to enter and exit farms and fi elds adjoining the A1. The route has a poor accident record with continuing safety, congestion and journey time reliability problems.

The objectives of the proposed improvement are to reduce current high levels of accidents, congestion and enhance journey time reliability by upgrading the existing A1 to dual 3-lane motorway standard. The proposal is generally on the line of the existing road with a localised off-line section at Catterick South, to the west of Bainesse Farm. Motorway junctions are proposed at Dishforth, Baldersby (A61), Leeming, Catterick Central, Scotch Corner (A66) and Barton.

Other crossing points for all users, over or under the motorway, are proposed at:

Rainton (existing bridge)
    Sinderby
    Street Lane
    Burneston Hargill (Oak Tree Underpass)
    Gatenby Lane (existing bridge)
    Londonderry
    Bedale/Northallerton Road (A684)
    Tickergate Lane
    Catterick Lane/Tunstall Road
    Catterick Road (A6136)
    Brompton South Bridge
    Brompton North Bridge (Station Road)
    Catterick North Bridge
    A Local Access Road will be provided where appropriate to meet the needs of local and non-motorway traffic. Care has been taken to meet the needs of equestrians, cyclists, pedestrians and public transport, both local and long distance.

On the 31 March 2008, the Secretary of State for Transport, Ruth Kelly, gave her approval for the Highways Agency (HA) to upgrade 24 miles of the A1 dual carriageway to three-lane motorway standard.

Grand Master

Thanks for that info Cristian,it has made it a lot clearer now i understand it more.

No worries - I occasionally travel that route and have been looking forward to uninterrupted 3 lane driving. You had me worried for a bit! :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    No worries - I occasionally travel that route and have been looking forward to uninterrupted 3 lane driving. You had me worried for a bit! :D

You and me both :wink: I'm driving an artic so anything that makes it safer and flowing is good for me :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by cpys11688
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx

Beyond Dishforth,just can't work out what is going on,i wonder if there are any plans for the general pubic to view that gives a detailed before and after!,i guess not somehow but would be great if possible.
    I rent some offices to an Engineering Quality inspection company and I know they are dealing with the bridges crossing the new section so I can ask them.

Rod

Grand Master

Hi Rod

Sounds good,will have a better overall picture in my mind as i drive by the next time.

Cheers

so no more swearing on the road then!

Quote Originally Posted by cpys11688
    Hi Rod

Sounds good,will have a better overall picture in my mind as i drive by the next time.

Cheers
    Well I've just checked with the Quality Assurance Engineers and it seems like it's all gone quiet for them as regards the bridges. Something to do with the budgets they say. Anyway it looks like a complete new section of motorway, 3 lanes North & South for a 25 mile stretch. The existing road dates to Roman times and is called 'Dere Street' :lol:
    The new section will follow the line of the current A1 but will deviate south of Catterick toward the west to 'minimise' impact on the Marne Barracks and on the archaeology of the scheduled Ancient Monument at Bainesse Farm whatever that is.

Link to an update:-

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/docume ... etter4.pdf

Rod