closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any artillery experts here please?

Any artillery experts here please?

A number of years ago I inherited a couple of WW1 artillery shell cases from my Grandfather. They had been converted into vases.

Whilst they were originally used in a somewhat violent way they now make rather nice ornaments.

But I've always been interested in their bases. Clearly, with the broadarrow they are British shells and I'm assuming that 6Pr means they're six pounders. One is from 1917, the other 1918. But other than that I'm stumped as to what the remaining stuff really means. I can't find anything on the net, but knowing the wide knowlege base here I'm hoping someone can shed further light on them........

Any information on these would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman

Re: Any artillery experts here please?

Hi,

by no means an expert but shells normally come with a lot and batch number. If we had problems with any shells we would bin all shells by the lot number, batch number or both. I. E. if there was duff explosive inside or we had a couple of miss-fires etc. I am sure there will be somebody with more experience and knowledge along soon.

Paddy

You'll probably find they are batch numbers and 'Ye Olde qualitye Controlle'. At each step during the manufacture the casing, charge and projectile will have been checked. The date is obvious, as is the crows foot or Broad Arrow denoting it's Military (really!!). The Lot numbers are batch numbers. If there was a misfire or problem with the shell, others from the same batch would be withdrawn from service and inspected. CF stands for 'Cordite Filled' in earlier examples but i think, judging by the dates it stands for 'Charge Full' (CR (or CFR) stands for 'Charge Reduced' a common practice if shells were reused).

If this is a 6 pounder shell, it would have probably come from QF (Quick Firing) 6 pound, 7 cwt Hotchkiss Naval piece or a QF 6 pound 6 cwt Hotchkiss which was fitted to early tanks.

they dont like it up 'em do they captain mainwaring?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

They sure are beautifully finished! :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee
    You'll probably find they are batch numbers and 'Ye Olde qualitye Controlle'. At each step during the manufacture the casing, charge and projectile will have been checked. The date is obvious, as is the crows foot or Broad Arrow denoting it's Military (really!!). The Lot numbers are batch numbers. If there was a misfire or problem with the shell, others from the same batch would be withdrawn from service and inspected. CF stands for 'Cordite Filled' in earlier examples but i think, judging by the dates it stands for 'Charge Full' (CR (or CFR) stands for 'Charge Reduced' a common practice if shells were reused).

If this is a 6 pounder shell, it would have probably come from QF (Quick Firing) 6 pound, 7 cwt Hotchkiss Naval piece or a QF 6 pound 6 cwt Hotchkiss which was fitted to early tanks.
    You must have been top student on your 'All Arms Ammo Storemans' Cse!
    RIAC

Master

I'll ask the ammo guys at work. We have artillery pieces and shell cases dating back hundreds of years in one of the exhibition halls.

<A number of years ago I inherited a couple of WW1 artillery shell cases from my Grandfather. They had been converted into vases.>

the most sensible thing that happened to them...should have been done in the first place! would have saved a lot of heartache!

Master

Wow, up until now I never thought a vase could be cool..........