closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modern Omega Seamasters - opinions?

Modern Omega Seamasters - opinions?

Hi -

I'm looking for a daily beater and so I'm considering a modern Omega Seamaster.
    I had thought in the past that they were too ubiquitous but I'm beginning to be swayed by them. Not too fussy, durable and a solid buy? Or just another wannabe watch?

If you own one or have owned one in the past I'd appreciate your opinions please.

Thank you -

TTPS

Re: Modern Omega Seamasters - opinions?

How modern? Do you mean the SM Pro with Bond style hands? They certainly feel as good as a 2254.50.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i used one (smp) for years as a work watch (subsea) and can vouch for them being a work horse, took everything i could throw at it!!

go for it, get one!!

cheers
    mike

Yes - the ones with the Bond hands.

Craftsman

Though a vintage guy at heart, I too like that model SM with the Bond hands... don't forget the wrist shot when you get it :wink:

Grand Master

yet again a wistful howl for my long departed smp for me!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

I bought mine thinking I'd hang onto it for a bit and then sell it on, recently it's gone to the back of that queue as it's one of my more comfortable watches, it could even be a keeper :)

Had both the quartz and auto Bonds and enjoyed them. Always have an eye out for another quartz on the SC, but they don't hang about for long.

Craftsman

I had one for years. I took it off if doing proper manual work where it might get dinged. When I sold it it looked as good as the day I got it. A good solid watch that can take a kicking as far as I'm concerned.

Paddy

Craftsman

A SMP was my first 'good' watch. 30th birthday present to myself and I certainly didn't treat it as a beater :shock:

The urge for a Breitling meant it had to go, but I've wanted another one ever since. Bond versions are nice, but extremely common.

The bracelets are superb quality and supremely confortable. Bezels have very little play in them, far less that any comparable Tag I've looked at

Master

I had the chance to buy my first Omega the other day in SC...

In the end I turned it down and passed it to "next in line" as it just look so "dull".
    I'm sure I'll try one someday bit for now, for me, they just seem too obvious and boring.

Enjoy yours though. :)

I've had mine for a couple of years now and still love it.
    There are a few light scratches on the back of the bracelet but the rest of it still looks mint. It's not exactly been a beater, but not wrapped in cotton wool either.

Grand Master

I've had the Ti SMP for a few months and it's just such a nice watch for the money, i am thinking of selling, but only to get a 2254 as i like the black bezel look. I've even had a thought of just getting the 2254 and keeping the 2231 :D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quartz Bond for a decade. The only quibble is that the bezel is a pain to operate in salt water. Apart from that it is a brilliant watch and apparently indestructible.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    i used one (smp) for years as a work watch (subsea) and can vouch for them being a work horse, took everything i could throw at it!!

go for it, get one!!

cheers
    mike
    There's a pic of Mike's SMP somewhere on TZ with faded bezel after some serious saltwater abuse. If anybody can vouch for the SMP's quality and robustness, I'd say he's well qualified for the task.

The SMP (2254) was my first good watch too and I've had a few watches over the last few years, always to flip them on and get something else, but I always seem to come back to the good old SMP. My current Bond 2531 is a late model with the anti-counterfeit logo and everytime I fancy a change, I manage to talk myself out of it and keep the trusty Omega.

One word of advice though, IMO I would seek out anything with the Cal. 1120 rather than the problematic Co-Ax 2500 version. The 1120 seems to have the Cal. 2500 licked in terms of reliability and can be scarily accurate, my original 2254 consistently +1sec per day for the last 2 years I owned it. True, they can be quite common, due I think to the absolute value that the SMP used to represent when bought new, I mean £1100 brand new 5 years ago meant they were well within reach of so many more people than certain other ubiquitous dive watches out there :wink: Now at over 2 grand, they're just overpriced.

So my advice, track down a 2531, 2254, 2231 or 2255 (all autos) and relax in the knowledge that you have an absolute belter.

Nick

Nobody has commented on his 'too ubiquitous' question? They seem to be almost part of a prescribed uniform for some folks in IT :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    Nobody has commented on his 'too ubiquitous' question? They seem to be almost part of a prescribed uniform for some folks in IT :D
    Depends where you work. In my office (wall-to-wall geeks) it's Casio city.

When I go to clients in the City (large banks) then they are common, as indeed are most of the big names.

As for me, I wore mine 24/7 for 7 years without a glitch. Playing squash, football, sauna after gym, golf, fixing cars, DIY, and a myriad of other manly pursuits shrugged off with aplomb - the only major flaw being a ding on the bezel I did on day one of ownership by banging it into a door handle at work :roll:

It wouldn't be the end of the world if once again it were the only watch I own :)

SMP 300's - I have virtually all the modern versions in full size Chronometer from 2531/2254 onwards apart from the newer GMT - I love them and they are very robust - I'd rate as useable as any of my Rolex without the Cache for me - but I wear at least one of them one or two days every single week and always will - for the money I don't think there is much that comes close.

A Co-ax version for around £1250 is a bargain and a non co-ax for about £1k or less you really can't go wrong for what is an iconic watch regardless of the individual style - simply fantastic!

Buy one and enjoy they can take a lot of abuse.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

I have both the auto and quartz - both rugged and can take abuse - the quartz as mentioned is effectively 'bomb proof' - though as seen in one of the Bond movies the auto can sustain the fall-out from an EM-wave!

Both styles recommended - super comfortable bracelets - and lume works all night long (unlike my vintage Rolex SD)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Modern Omega Seamasters - opinions?

Had most of the SMPs - full size, mid size, small one for my wife, bond style, sword-hands version, titanium and stainless. All wonderful - robust, accurate, sit low on the wrist so fit under short sleeve, ok with a suit or with a wetsuit. 1120 movement is excellent. Bracelets are comfy. Case-back logo looks lovely. Yes the 'Bond' style was common for a while but by now thankfully the film link is far enough is the past for folk not to assume you're a Bond freak.
    Skeleton hands versions look nice but the lume is poor compared with sword hands on the 2254/2231. Blue dial makes a change with so many watches having black faces these days. Quartz version very tough and lets you change hour hand without affecting minutes/seconds - very useful when travelling.
    Get one you'll enjoy and it's easy to sell on if you do get bored with it.
    Steve

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers
    One word of advice though, IMO I would seek out anything with the Cal. 1120 rather than the problematic Co-Ax 2500 version.
    I believe the early Co-Ax models had problems, but the new stuff is all fine now. I've had my Bond Co-Ax for a few months and it's spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    The question of ubiquity only really matters if what other people think about your watch bothers you much.

White-faced SMP GMT is my pick:

I have had the Auto Bond and quartz blackie for years, excellent VFM second hand and very comfortable with their very flat backs.

I prefer the look of the originals to the co-ax versions with the red bits and applied stuff on the dial.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Had this one since new (6 years now) and wore it every day for 5 years until I found this place and added more watches to the stable. Now I wear it 5 days a week (at least) as it is my work watch. Not too flashy for work, solid and reliable and capable of getting wet (important for work).

Never had a problem with it and it keeps excellent time (+2-3 seconds a day). It's a Cal.1120 (I've never had experience of the coax - but there are enough debates on here about the virtues of each movement).

The bracelet is a true work of art, sold feeling and has very little play in it, it is perhaps THE BEST bracelet I have ever had the pleasure of handling on a watch. It is super comfy but at the same time a very solid feeling watch which is reassuring. The clasp does get swirlies from tapping away on my laptop but then doesn't every clasp on any bracelet? Easy to refinish with a green scrubber thing that can be found in the kitchen sink if it gets really bad. :wink:

I have worn it on a "bond" nato which is a great look but to be honest it looks so right on the bracelet and is so comfortable that the nato thing was a real fleeting fancy.

The lume is a phenomenon. Yes perhaps the sword hand version has more surface area of lume but this thing is like a flipping belisha beacon at night time and the lume lasts for a decent while also. I personally prefer the skeleton hands much more than the sword ones, they seem a little more refined to me.

The second hand has a lovely red tip which is a nice discreet tough and catches the light.

The unidirectional bezel is very solid feeling with 120 very sure and definite clicks for a full rotation. It features a pearl at 12.

I'm more into vintage watches but this is my modern watch and me daily beater. It is a true keeper and never once have I ever considered chopping it in for anything. It gets used when at work visiting all sorts of dirty, wet factories and still doesn't seem to show much in the way of battle scars.

It is a very classic design which is clean and uncluttered and I think has stood the test of time enormously well so far and will continue to do so for decades to come. It is as reliable as anything.

I've got a friend who is looking at getting one also. Do it but remember a Bond Seamaster is for life not just for SC flipping!

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus
    There are a few light scratches on the back of the bracelet but the rest of it still looks mint. It's not exactly been a beater, but not wrapped in cotton wool either.

I love this watch but have the Planet Ocean which is not a daily but certainly weekends and have to say it still has not a mark on it. I really like it.

The watch in the picture is a stunning watch imo. You won;t be disappointed.

Master

Great choice. You can't go wrong with the Seamaster

Craftsman

How about this SMP on mesh with polished bezel .. Note that it's got the thin skeleton hands which I think make the watch so much more attractive .. even if they are not quite so visible sometimes. To my eyes this is the most attractive SMP I have seen ..
    I have never seen an SMP on these thinner skeleton hands anywhere for sale ,, can anyone help with info on this as I am looking for this very watch to buy ..

[/url][/url]

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers
    One word of advice though, IMO I would seek out anything with the Cal. 1120 rather than the problematic Co-Ax 2500 version.
    I believe the early Co-Ax models had problems, but the new stuff is all fine now. I've had my Bond Co-Ax for a few months and it's spot on.
    I speak only from experience of the Cal. 2500C in my PO. Funny, I don't recall reading any posts re Co-Ax problems in the SMP. Hopefully all the issues for newer watches will have been sorted.

Grand Master

I like them so I`d agree with the choice (I owned a 2254.50). They won`t go down in value IMO. As for durability, I think they have one weakness and that's the bezel. The steel outer bezel easly gets marked because of the many edges, and it's not easy to refinish. Also, the bezel insert is easy to damage and costly to replace. The bracelet clasp is well-known for picking up scratches but it's not hard to refinish.

As a daily wearer, a watch with a plain bezel makes more sense because it can be refinished easily and cheaply. Everyone equates dive watches with rugged durability, but the bezel is susceptible to cosmetic damage which can prove costly.

Paul

Craftsman

Had an SMP 2220.80.00 as my daily watch at the office for a year and a half. Loved it, but after I got my GMT Master II it just didn't get any wrist time and I sold it a couple of months ago. Still miss it sometimes, though.

Master

Traded my blue SMP co-ax towards a GMT IIC a few months back.

Missed it ever since and picked up a black one off SC to replace it that should arrive tomorrow.
    Can't wait for it to arrive.

Cracking watches and extremely comfortable. The bracelet is the best I've had.

Much as I like my Rolex it's nowhere near as comfortable as the Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus

This one beats the newer models hands down for me, try seeking out one of these if you can. :)