closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any body collect military navigation time pieces.

Any body collect military navigation time pieces.

Any body here collect military navigation time pieces.Here are a few of mine.

Hamilton model 22,Waltham,Zeneth chronometer's use by the US Navy durring WW2 and a Elgin and Hamilton navigation pocket watches used by the US Airforce all these were used for Navigation.

Banned

Re: Any body collect military navigation time pieces.

i dont,but those look great.
    are they on some sort of gimbal?

Yes those are what are called gimbled boxes to keep them level out at sea.You will see two have what are called outer boxes those are bolted down so they don't move as the ship rolls back and forth out at sea.

A Hamilton Model 22 is pretty much top of my wish-list. One of the most beautiful movements ever made, IMO. Rarely see them for sale on this side of the pond, I have thought about getting one from the US but worry about it surviving the journey.

Lovely collection, I am very jealous!! Thanks for showing.

I know a few friends that bought Russain ship's chronometer's in the state's and they made it in one piece to the state's from Russia it's how well the seller pack's them double box the gimble box in one and the clock section in another.The Russian one's are fusee type movement and had to be corked for shipping.But the model 22's are not the fusee type they are made just like a large watch.So you mite give it a chance and get one from the state's just read the feed backs if on fleabay got two of mine from there.

Go to edit then preset size then pick the next lower size then save copy you wil have two of the same but one you can use here the other at other forums that you can have larger photo's.Nice collection you got.There were a few I have not seen yet.
    Mike

Thanks Mike, the pictures on my new posts have all been resized . I´ll leave the older posts as they are, too much hassle!

Regards Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    I know a few friends that bought Russain ship's chronometer's in the state's and they made it in one piece to the state's from Russia it's how well the seller pack's them double box the gimble box in one and the clock section in another.The Russian one's are fusee type movement and had to be corked for shipping.But the model 22's are not the fusee type they are made just like a large watch.So you mite give it a chance and get one from the state's just read the feed backs if on fleabay got two of mine from there.
    Hi Mike,
    as you probably saw, I also bought a Russian Kirova Chronometer from Kaliningrad, the Balance staff was broke and the jewels damaged in transit! It´s nigh on impossible to get any parts here in Germany, so I was forced to send it back to Russia with love :)
    They never corked it properly!
    regards Jimmy

Sorry to hear about your bad luck from Russia.If none of you do not know what a corking a chronometer is.It's a small piece of wood shaped like a wedge put under the balance wheel to prevent it from moving and damaging the movement in shipping and because the shipper did not cork jimmy chronometer the balance staff got damaged.I think I explained it right.

The explainations right, originally the wedge was made of cork, hence the name...corking the balance.
    Regards Jimmy

Here you can see how Hamilton later changed the "corking" method on their model 21 Chrono.
    Its the "Y" part resting on the balance, which was screwed down with an allen key to prevent any movement in transport.

Here an IWC Deck Watch, Cal. 67, used on german submarines during WWII. Full luminous dial ( znsulfite ). Background image a pic of the new modern submarine class A 212.

What an uterly gorgeous Germen Kriegs-Marine WW2 IWC Deck Watch. Very rare and VERY expensive! :shock:
    Oh well one day perhaps...

Regards Jimmy

Nice IWC Deck Watch any marks on the back case cover?

Hello river rat,

yes, the back is in original condition unpolished with all the swastika (eagle, Kriegsmarine stock number and classification II. KL).

Here is a former IWC Kriegsmarine deck watch which did its duty in the german post war 'Bundesmarine' until the watch was decommissioned.
    After the 'denazification' of the back the watch got an overhaul at SH, probably a new movement, its new NATO stock number and a new wooden box.

By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us

Regards