closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought GMT

trace

Re: Dreadnought GMT

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    My thoughts are once again turning to the DN GMT and I have a few questions which need answering.

Many would like it to be in Ti and many would like PVD. I don't think Ti takes PVD too well, so that would need two versions.

Secondly, although Fricker already has the tooling for the DN, the same tooling can't be used if made in Ti because of the different manufacturing methods. If it needs a new tool, then how about a new shape?

Bracelet? Fitted rubber?

Comments appreciated.

Eddie

I personally prefer Ti over brushed Steel or PVD finish. But to be honest its the shape of the DN that is most critical to me. I hope you keep the case at least very similar.

Man, this topic is drawing the lurkers out of the woodwork! Welcome guys! :lol:

Journeyman

GMT DN

Hello,

1-I vote for SS over soft Titanium.

2-The case shape should stay the same as the orinal DN but it would be really a good idea to make it slimer by 3 or 4mm,I believe the original
    was a bit too tick to be comfortable The unique DN case shape was the
    pedigree of the watch and its unique caracter.Loose this and the family
    DNA is lost.

3-Bracelet should be an option only, this would keep the price down too.
    Fitted rubber would be a cool thing.

4-I would rather have a sloped and fixed bezel (a la Explorer II) that would keep the watch tinner.Keeping track of 3 time zone is really
    not practical or needed.A fix and sloped bezel is also much more reliable as it cannot be easely jam or get knocked.

5-I wich the GMT DN would be what the Explorer is to the
    Submariner. And not what the GMT (Rolex) is to the Submariner.
    Dont know if anyone will see what I meen by that :?

Best
    RAF

Craftsman
    In a world without walls, who needs a location?

how about a 24-hour face?

Manual winding?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    Man, this topic is drawing the lurkers out of the woodwork! Welcome guys! :lol:
    Thank you, Tom! :lol:

I've been lurking here for years - the wealth of knowledge in this forum is immense, so I've always felt a bit inhibited to just jump in with my amateurish appreciation of watches.

But Man... the idea of a Dreadnought GMT could motivate me to do way more embarassing things than just registering on this forum.

This thread is fascinating, as it combines everyone's thoughts on such a great number of topics. Material, proper/wrong way of a GMT function, LEs and their sensibility in general... I really think this is one of the most interesting threads I've read on any watch forum anywhere in years.

So... hi to everyone. :-)

Guntram

Grand Master
    And Hi to you, too, Guntram!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the time here. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Welcome to the forum Guntram.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Guntram

I've been lurking here for years -
    I don't know how you do it, I've got far too big a mouth to sit quietly listening to other peoples opinions. :lol:

Welcome all you newbies, stick around.

We are not as clever as you think we are. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    We are not as clever as you think we are.
    I'll second that :D

At least for myself.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

I don't know how you do it, I've got far too big a mouth to sit quietly listening to other peoples opinions. :lol:

Hell, we're not even as clever as we think we are :lol:

Kevin

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell

Kevin
    Least we're honest though?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell

Kevin
    Least we're honest though?
    Speak for yourself Paul, I'm full of it.

Ming is. :D

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Well, thanks for the nice welcome, then!

OK, so I'll just make shit up myself and fit right in, is what you're suggesting, huh? :lol:

Seriously, though... I don't know if newbies get any vote on what the Dreadnought GMT is supposed to look like, but I'll throw my 2 cents in now anyhow...

First off, a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere in this thread: Will the GMT also be a limited edition, or will there be as many as Eddie can sell?

If I were to get one (I'm allowed to dream, right?)... I really like the concept of it being pretty true to the original, rather than a Precista/DN clone. I think the concept of a watch you can wear anywhere you go, be it around the globe or under water or both, is very strong. Meaning 200+ m WR would be very cool. Since I have enough trouble keeping up with two time zones, I wouldn't need a third to keep track of - so I'd very much like an elapsed time bezel. That would, however, require a 24 hour indication someplace else for the GMT hand - preferrably the inner ring, i.e. not on the dial.

Material-wise, I'd very much be in favor of scratch resistance - from the posts here, I take it that means either top-notch Ti (which I'd like), or SS (which I wouldn't mind). The scratch resistance requirement, however, takes PVD out of the equation somehow, I think - correct me if I'm wrong.

Love the plongeur hands of the original DN, so I'd be in favor of keeping those. The GMT hand could be a variation of the hour hand (black with only a lumed tip? Similar to the concept of the second hand / minute hand on a Lemania 5100?)

Oh, and for a whimpy 7.5" wrist like mine, I wouldn't mind it to be a little less massive than the original, so a 2-3mm smaller version would appeal to me greatly.

OK, so here you got all the presumptuousness of a newbie - but you asked for it. :lol:

Later,
    Guntram

Journeyman

My thoughts are once again turning to the DN GMT...Comments appreciated.

Eddie
    I am also a lurker, coming out of the cold.

All I know is, whatever the DN GMT will look like, I will get one. I am sure the final design will be suitable for my needs. The Original DN certainly would, and I had NO input on that, and only found out too late, they were no longer available.

All I want is to not be left out, this time.

Cheers!

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Uhu
    My thoughts are once again turning to the DN GMT...Comments appreciated.

Eddie
    I am also a lurker, coming out of the cold.

All I know is, whatever the DN GMT will look like, I will get one. I am sure the final design will be suitable for my needs. The Original DN certainly would, and I had NO input on that, and only found out too late, they were no longer available.

All I want is to not be left out, this time.

Cheers!
    Hey, I went to university in Bellingham. Wonderful town.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS And welcome to the forum, or at least, in your de-lurked state.
    RLF

Grand Master

Ming is. :D

Eddie

Nope, not even me. I'm just convincing at pulling your leg :wink:

If a different case shape for Ti...how about a new bezel with redesigned serrations to have a second timezone or 24h ring? Or even interchangeable bezels?

Softness of Ti can be overcome with the correct surface treatment.

Another thought - if you need to have new tooling, how about getting Damasko to make the cases?

Ming

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    Another thought - if you need to have new tooling, how about getting Damasko to make the cases?
    Now that's a brilliant idea!

I've often wondered, though, why Damasko never matched the 200m water resistance of the SUG hardening and kept their line at 100m. If there's a correlation between those two issues, I'd prefer water resistance over tegimentation (is that a word?). The idea of having both, though, is absolutely great.

Later,
    Guntram

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    Now that's a brilliant idea!

I've often wondered, though, why Damasko never matched the 200m water resistance of the SUG hardening and kept their line at 100m. If there's a correlation between those two issues, I'd prefer water resistance over tegimentation (is that a word?). The idea of having both, though, is absolutely great.

Later,
    Guntram
    I fail to see the world of difference between 100m and 200m WR ... I'd pay much more attention to the types of seals used and the possible degraddation effects of UV and chemical reaction. O.k., 500m may be a different category, but the supreme importance accorded to these extra 100 meters is ou of proportion, IMHO.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    the supreme importance accorded to these extra 100 meters is ou of proportion, IMHO.
    Thing is I own several watches with 200+m WR, and one with 100m WR. The latter got damaged by water - figures. I've been a sucker for water resistance ever since, and never had any further problems. Actually, I'd even argue that there's a greater difference between 100 and 200m than between 200 and 300m - looking at it from a percentage standpoint.

But the bottom line is I'm only speaking from my personal experience which may well be a flawed perspective - you could be right, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Later,
    Guntram

Grand Master
    the supreme importance accorded to these extra 100 meters is ou of proportion, IMHO.
    Thing is I own several watches with 200+m WR, and one with 100m WR. The latter got damaged by water - figures. I've been a sucker for water resistance ever since, and never had any further problems. Actually, I'd even argue that there's a greater difference between 100 and 200m than between 200 and 300m - looking at it from a percentage standpoint.

But the bottom line is I'm only speaking from my personal experience which may well be a flawed perspective - you could be right, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Later,
    Guntram
    I read somewhere some time ago that resistance to hot steam vapors (think hot showers) was a completely different thing from water resistance as there was no outside pressure to compress the seals ... was this just a lot of bunk (could well be), or is there something to it? The argument was that a watch could be WR to 200 meters, and still let humidity in in the shower at surface level. Are any of the pressure experts in the know?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid

Later,
    Guntram
    I read somewhere some time ago that resistance to hot steam vapors (think hot showers) was a completely different thing from water resistance as there was no outside pressure to compress the seals ... was this just a lot of bunk (could well be), or is there something to it? The argument was that a watch could be WR to 200 meters, and still let humidity in in the shower at surface level. Are any of the pressure experts in the know?
    In liquid form (water) H2O molecules are in chains, while in a gas (steam) they are more independent. So, the object having to pass the barrier is larger when H2O is in a liquid form. The chains of H2O may not get through where the individual molecules will. Once inside the watch, the gas will (eventually) condense to liquid.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS You can demonstrate to yourself the "group happiness" of water. Put two drops of water side by side, but separate. Now take a toothpick or pin, and make a slight connection between them. They should readily form into one drop. To get across a barrier (e.g., gasket), you have to break this weakish bond. With steam, the bond is already broken as a result of the higher energy state.
    RLF

Master
    Bob eloquently described what makes water such an interesting substance.

In addition, the hot shower could expose your watch to surface-active compounds like soap and detergents (e.g. hair shampoo). These compounds break the surface tension of liquid water and could reduce the effectiveness of gaskets and seals.

Cheers,
    Gert

Craftsman
    And the point is... for the DN to not have gaskets made out of toothpicks? :lol:

Thanks for the insight - I really learned something new (or rediscovered something I musta forgotten between science classes and today?), and I really am appreciative of it. Seriously, no kidding.

That said, I stand by my experience that my 100m WR watch got water inside, and the others never did - whether or not that defies physics was secondary to me when I got the watchmaker's bill... :lol:
    Later,
    Guntram

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Eddie invested a lot in the tooling for the DN case. It should be the same case used on the DN-GMT with the inned bezel engraved with the 24 hr timescale that could most likely be done after the case is machined. No one will be able to grind down the bezel to make a Franken DN so thats not a worry.
    I think I agree this. I also think that ther is no much point to make "small" modifications to DN-case. Then it is easier to buy JE Atlantis case and I think it is out of question....

How ever real GMT should have turnable 24 h bezel also so do it come too busy then? Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Also lets get the DN chrono back into discussion, once again same case with minor modifications to accept the pushers and an engraved Tachy or Pulse scale.
    Just the opinion of the original and still owner of DN #135. Also I could give a rats ass about the inflated value of my DN, I have been made a number of offers for it and I have turned them all down and will keep doing that.
    Agree this also but not so sure if case modifications are minor. Could be.

Bottom line is that DN GMT, chronograph what ever should and "must" have DN -case. If case is something else then better name will be Precista GMT or something...

Just my 2c

JP

Journeyman

Dreadnought GMT

After some reflection, I have concluded that I'd like the DN GMT to look as much as possible, to the original. There's very little I see that needs changing. The GMT function would just be an added plus.

I like titanium, so that would be OK, if one really needs to "upgrade". I'd be happy to just see a minimal face change to add more lume.

PVD I see as a possible custom option; not a standard feature.

Bracelet/strap: I like the old DN types just fine. Perhaps a "DN ZULU" might work as an upgrade option.

I don't believe keeping it as much as close to the original as possible, would detract at all from the 'value' of the earlier ones. After all, anyone who knows (or cares) already knows about the first DN, and that should be enough.

As for it being a 'regular unlimited production' watch, I am not certain. I think it would be reasonable to make it 'semi-limited', say PRE-ORDERS plus 50. That should cover all who would want one now, plus a few who discover it within a reasonable time frame. All of those who now lust for an original-type Dreadnought would be appeased, and there's even a bit of room for those that want two.

I think a pre-order commitment of 100 GBP: nonrefundable, sounds reasonable, as well. Many want one, but how many will pony-up when the time comes?

IF the DN GMT is radically different (say visually more than the JE ATLANTIS...which is a nice looking watch) then it won't be a DN. It'll be something else. Perhaps it'll be like the battlecruiser was to the dreadnought...slicker, leaner, faster. In which case, I offer the name: INVINCIBLE.

Comments?

What ever the final design i want one.
    My 2c would be Titanium , 300m is fine , i'll be using a strap regardless.
    The new Seiko Spring Drive 600m is titanium, larger than the DN but way lighter and more comfortable to wear.

I PVD'd a DN (Jack at IWW did a great job for me) and it has held up very well and i love the look . But to PVD a bracelet i think would cost mucho bucks.

What is next for release Eddie ?

Where does the Black Watch fit ?

Good health all.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Uhu

I'd be happy to just see a minimal face change to add more lume.
    Now I like the way that man thinks....more lume! :D A little lume never hurt anyone. I say lets give that Black Monster a run for it's money.

We'll make this new Dreadnought a glowing example of what a watch should be.

If this project is done right there's a possibilty that it might out-shine the original.

Eddie, I guess I'm saying I want to be on that list! 8)

Bezel :idea: :wink:

Tom Chang

I think SS will be the ideal materia for now. Additionally, Ti may be too soft unless spcial harden Ti is utilized.

The bezel could be the 24 hrs division.

May be a package of SS bracelet, rubber diving strap, and a leather strap for casual events.

Just some thoughts.

Thank you Eddie. I am in for one for certain.

Apprentice

New Design!

Eddie I am a new DN owner (125) But count me in for the new design! Jim

Apprentice

Finish and Material

I think the finish and SS of the Dreadnought is a great finish! I would vote for the same. SS and Beadblasted. Count me in! Jim

comments

For reference, I have the limited edition Fortis b42 chrono lem 5100, its titanium and the weight size ratio is great. 44mm bezel.

A GMT DN is so ripe for the times. I just coudn't go wit the Sinn U2.

I prefer a mesh bracelet over regular steel, or a rubber dive drap and in that case I would got steel for the watch case.

For a GMT diver I say go with gmt marking on dial, keep dive bezel dedicated on outside.

Count me in!

kevinb

my two cents worth from the middle lands

:idea: :idea: ok make the case and braclet the same,, why mess up a good thing, add the 24hr chaper ring inside the case as mentioned before and add contrasting yellow and orange numbers and markers on the bezel. I would beef up the lumme all the way around as much as possible, also if a date complication is applied PLEASE make the numbers white and the back ground black,, its much more readable :lol:
    . as far as the gmt Idea its a good one but I would like it w/o the feature just fine heres a thought an orange faced dreadnought or a dark blue faced dreadnought??? or even a yellow faced dreadnought??? or even a silver faced one?? I think these would be winners and wild sellers.

>>>>PLEASE ADD ME TO THE LIST FOR PRE NOTIFICATION OF AVAILABILITY FOR THE NEW DREADNOUGHT>>>> THANKS

kevin the firefighter

Journeyman
    >>>>PLEASE ADD ME TO THE LIST FOR PRE NOTIFICATION OF AVAILABILITY FOR THE NEW DREADNOUGHT>>>> THANKS

Ditto, here.

Craftsman
    I'm all for PVD after seeing this:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft...395.9168397801

Craftsman
    Or how about a zirconium oxide or other black ceramic case? :)

Master
    Blog Entries

I'm interested Eddie, count me in!!

Eddie,

If the GMT DN is anything like the build quality of the Original 8) count me in.

Titanium would be a good choice, providing you can get the weight just right, i'm sure the original Seiko 600ms used a combo of Ti and stainless steel.

The weighty feel of the DN bracelet is superb!! The solid endpieces give the impression they've been hewned or stamped outta quality stainless.

Can you get ideas from the Citizen 1000m with regards the easy to clean and remove bezel?

Look forward to the proto designs

Bry

Apprentice
    Count me in for designs & notification!
    Edited to include my vote for titanium.

please :D

For what it's worth...

Case and bracelet material - Titanium.

I have a few Ti watches and have found they are no more or less durable or resistant to scratches than S.Steel.

I prefer the lack of weight Ti brings, I think it's funny when people hold one of my ti watches and marvel at how such chunky looking watch can be so light.

Personally I think the "heft" that S.Steel brings is a macho issue - I've never had any problems in that department... :wink:

Come into the 21st centrury, be one of the leaders and go Ti.

Ta!

Late to this whole affair, but I personally feel Ti, with SS for ding/scratch prone components (e.g. bezel, bracelet clasp etc.) would be best. PVD and other treatments are too austere and may not have broadbase demand. I find the Ti/SS combo to be practical (best tradeoff between wieght, comfort, scratch-resistance, and allergenic considerations), rare, and above-all tasteful.

There is a grade of titanium known as Ti 5 which is supposed to be as durable as steel. I'm looking at this.

Eddie

Apologies if this has been touched on in this thread. I am assuming there have been comments concerning preferences for case diameter and whether to use the existing design/tooling or go for new and wondered what the general opinion was. odklizec's recent poll regarding case size was I thought interesting with the most popular was 40mm (43%) with the next being 38mm (26%) and 43mm (22%) the other sizes had very few votes. I voted for 38mm being endowed with feeble wrists, I would not wear anything over 40mm. The poll would suggest 40mm would be the size to go for in terms of wearability but that does not take into account the apparant requirement for the Dreadnought, if not its whole purpose, which is to be massive. I suspect a different poll for the size of the DN GMT may give a different result. But, if the case is 40mm can I go on the list please.

Grand Master
    There is a grade of titanium known as Ti 5 which is supposed to be as durable as steel. I'm looking at this.

Eddie
    :D :D :D

I think that hardened titanium would suit the DN-GMT well. I did all my macho stuff in the 12th century already, no need for showing off huge chunks of steel these days. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Blog Entries

Wha about 6/4 grade Titanium

I know one firm, manufacture their watches out of it.

It's much stronger than the usual Jewellery grade Ti, and 3x hardness, tho not as hard as Citizen duratect.

Bry

Master

Eddie
    It'd be a good match I think. Slim down the case a bit too to make it a bit thinner on the wrist and a whole world of people who don't use steroids to pump their biceps would open up :lol:

Kevin

Grand Master
    I'd agree. The SMP is an example of how a watch can stay slim on the wrist at 42mm dia. ex crown, and be very comfortable to wear
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Apprentice
    Since DN GMT will still be a diver watch, my opinion is that bezel should be dedicated to timing the dive.
    24hr markings on the inside of the dial, inside the regular hour marks, small GMT hand with the alternative color arrow.

Steel bracelet (lets go with the same style as the original DN, just to preserve some continuity) with the rubber as an included option.

Those are my 2 cents.

Please add me to the distribution list for availability of this watch.

Quite frankly - I can't wait. :)

The more I see how many suggestions suggest making it thin and /or smaller diameter..... I'm just glad I got an original when I did! :D

Journeyman
    Hello everyone: First posting here. Since I do own a DN?. I have really enjoyed reading this thread!

I my humble opinion ?.I don?t think Eddie has to do anything drastic to the proposed DN/GMT. Keep it simple!

The DN was a success??..best all around design??.why change much??

Keep everything the same?same case, same dial, same metal, etc???

Small changes are appropriate for differentiation:

1. Make a case back change??.can be a small change to engraving
    2. Change bezel to a GMT bezel.
    3. Add one hand for the GMT function.
    4. On the dial add Dreadnought/GMT

Simple but sweet!!!
    :lol: