closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bicycle equipment advice

Bicycle equipment advice

I am after a bit of advice about what equipment I should to fit to a bike frame I am having made. I am having quite a classic Reynolds 531 frame (road bike) made. I will of course have to equip the frame, but I was wondering if any of you chaps have any advice on what I should fit. For example at the moment I am thinking Shimano Ultegra. But how much better is DuraAce and what is 105 like in comparison? There is also the other manufacturers, eg Campagnolo. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ben

Re: Bicycle equipment advice

There is practically no difference other than reduced weight. My friend has 105 on his commuter and Dura Ace on his best bike. Says they feel the same. I have Ultegra on both mine as I feel that is the best price/weight ratio and Dura Ace gets a bit silly for the sake of a few grammes.

Bicycle equipment advice

Shimano 105 works very well, is reasonably robust and looks attractive. I've used the 105 range for nearly 20 years with no problems so happy to recommend it. Current road bike has 2009 105 groupset and it's sweet.
    Steve

All the groupsets you mention would be fine. I've found more expensive kit tends to last a little bit longer - if only because I take more care of it! The big issue is price versus status versus aesthetics - just like watches really!

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal
    All the groupsets you mention would be fine. I've found more expensive kit tends to last a little bit longer - if only because I take more care of it! The big issue is price versus status versus aesthetics - just like watches really!
    I like the analogy with watches. To be honest I think we (broad sweeping statement here!) can tend to be quite obsessive with hobbies. Certainly I tend to be with my vices.

Ah... don't want to open that whole Campagnolo v Shimano debate, but I'm a Campag man.
    I just fitted the new Veloce levers (ultra / power shift) to one of my bikes and I'm well impressed.

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend a Campag Veloce groupset, if you want something a wee bit lighter with some carbon bits, then maybe Centaur. If money is not so much an issue then Chorus or Record (lighter still and more carbon bits).

Who's building the frame for you?

Personally I've always used Campag stuff... got Record on my current bike which shifts and stops perfectly and (in my opinion at least) looks a lot nicer than Shimano...

There was always the adage that Campag wears in and Shimano wears out. Not sure that really holds true anymore, but there are differences between the way they shift (brake levers vs thumb 'buttons' vs Double Tap etc) - try them (and SRAM) and see which you get on with. The top 3 Campag groupsets are also now 11 speed, if that makes any difference!

Functionality-wise, I'm upgrade from Campag Centaur to Record 10-speed and other than looking much prettier and being a little lighter, there's little real world difference...

Quote Originally Posted by dulux
    Who's building the frame for you?
    Nigel Wilson from my hometown of Sheffield.

105 is excellent. I see little point spending a load of money to shave a few grams if you intend on having the frame made from 531 steel and fitting a brooks saddle. Just cut down on the pies and crisps.

Master

SRAM ?

Banned

I'm another campag fan although their pricing is pretty stiff. Whether you go for campy, shimano or SRAM, my advice is to go with the upper-midrange stuff. you'll get most of the technology and performance for much less money than the top end stuff. (and when stuff breaks, as it will, it costs much less to stay on top of - I was just quoted well over £300 for a new chorus crank set.)

Do shop around as there are often cracking discounts on whole groupsets - merlincycles.co.uk is often a good bet. Looking at a back issue of cycling plus from June I see they were offering 105 at 399, ultegra SL at 449 and ultegra 6700 at 569 with dura ace at a grand. I'd go with the ultegra SL in that scenario if it met your requirements)

personally, I think the order of importance (and therefore where money should be spent) is this:
    1. frame
    2. wheels
    3. groupset.

As I used to say on the cycling forums....I'd rather walk than use Shimano. :D

I've used Campag (Record), Shimano (Ultegra, 105 and Deore XT - on a touring bike) and Suntour (never again!)

I would use Shimano every time and buy the level of kit that you feel you need for your riding. My Campag record stuff actually cracked (rear derailleur) and I'll never touch Campag again (I know that's contentious - but hey - I've never had a problem with Shimano).

Re: the level of kit required - unless you are a professional cyclist, Dura Ace is way overkill. My Ultegra stuff was the best I've ever used - but the 105 stuff from a few years later is close.

The way Shimano work it is that the newer enhancements are put on the highest ranges first - so this year's new whizzy features that are only found on Dura Ace will be in next year's Ultegra and the year after's 105. Also there is a (very small - in the grand scheme of things) weight saving with the higher ranges. This isn't always the case though as the Dura Ace stuff had (at one point) a slightly heavier crankset than the lower ranges - as it had to withstand greater forces but I think that's gone the other way again.

Weight savings are best looked at in terms of the frame (where they can be significant) or the wheel rims (where angular momentum plays a part). Unless you are truly obsessed with weight - it is probably not worth tens or hundreds of pounds for a few grams when eating one less sandwich before setting off will have the same effect :D

Another option (and what I always tended to do) was to look at some of the discount cycle shops (e.g. Ribble) and buy last year's model. TBH there is not much difference year on year and the reductions available for 12 month old technology are significant.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Thomas Reid

The best weight savings for me come from eating fewer cookies/biscuits. I started out with Campagnolo Record. As time went on, I started to use whatever was to hand. E.g., my current multi-geared bicycle has Stronglight crank, Suntour front and rear derailleurs, .... I once had a very, very nice set of Universal single pivot brakes. I paid the earth for them. Also, I like Phil Woods hubs. Sugino makes some great track cranksets (now on my fixed gear). And, I really liked the Gipiemme crankset I used for a while (it got a terminal case of road rash). I've always used a Brooks Professional saddle (I've only worn one out).

Best wishes,
    Bob