closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casio F-91W Original and Fake

Banned
    Blog Entries

Casio F-91W Original and Fake

One of the most humble yet important watches, the Casio F-91W is popular to the extreme and therefore fakes are widely offered. The difference in rice is some 3-5 euros, the difference in quality is abissmal.
    How to distinguish the two?
    Here is the definitive answer.
    It was provided by NHT and posted on hablemosderelojes.es
    http://www.hablemosderelojes.com/forum/ ... 058&page=8
    The original is consequently on the left, the fake on the right.

Also: Casio only makes them in black!!
    The coloured versions are not original although they have the dial like the original.
    The ones with a dial in matching colour are honest at least in having a different brand.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Re: Casio F-91W Original and Fake

The actual production of the F-91W is mainly in China.
    The Japanese produced ones can, apart from the origin on the caseback, be identified by the dial too:

´Japan U´

Versus not japanese:

Only ´U´

The world of WIS.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here*

Everything that can be faked will be faked
    :cry:

*Actually: 'All hope abandon ye who enter here'

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    'All hope abandon ye who enter here'
    Well, not áll;
    I restrained myself from putting up the wiring sceme and photos of how to time electric appliances with one :bigsmurf:
    I would lóve a Cuban vacation but not in orange coveralls :wink:

There´s more F-91WatchIdiotSavant stuff too but hey, why burn all the powder :mrgreen:

Master

Cheap, tacky, horrible thing..... :shock:

and the fake is no better... :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobboMedic

Yes, very cheap.

You are entitled to your taste, even though it is not the issue.

About ´no better´ I challenge you to come up with a base for your opinion.
    Quality wise the Casio F-91W is hard to beat. Véry hard to beat. Just read the topic I gave a link to:
    - They consistently exceed customer expectations,
    - have a negible deviation of specs.,
    - just about no failure rate,
    - véry good accuracy,
    - a battery lasting 7 years with
    - a dealer in the smallest village giving
    - no-questions-asked-new-one-given warranty.
    But, that is all off topic since thát was about how to sport the fake ones :idea:

Ho, wait a minute. The fact that there are fakes and homages riding on their train without a ticket is pretty significant in itself. Only some 12 euros and they stíll line up to ride along. Proof of the real life pudding since that is a prettty big compliment confirming the success of this humble watch.
    It stands to reason that the price alone of high end Swiss wathces is a motivator. At 12 euros it must be the vást numbers sold. Those numbers do not sell because of the marketing by the CIA or the ´ambassador´

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hwB-u4xhPmM/T ... -casio.jpg

Anyway, the TS is about id-ing the original.

p.s.
    Live link of the foto edited because the foto appearantly is considered offensive.

Journeyman

I recently bought a similar one that reminded me of my childhood.
    I've had lots of people talking about it and have been having a lot of fun with it. Great little things :)

Why would you buy one of those from anywhere except a proper dealer?!

Master

Why can't you keep the topic to the watch instead of it's terrorist connection. I really don't understand your constant love of the terrorists unless your one of them.

John

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    Why can't you keep the topic to the watch instead of it's terrorist connection. I really don't understand your constant love of the terrorists unless your one of them.

John

It´s only a watch, however nutty the CIA view on this one may be. The ´ambassador´ remark is a pretty clear referral to Omega and it´s ´ambassadors´ :idea:

Your allegation however is not so funny and since it is made in public rather serious too. This forum may be sort of a free for all concerning bad manners, but this is definitely over the edge. You cannot call someone a terrorist on a public forum just like that.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

John

It´s only a watch, however nutty the CIA view on this one may be. The ´ambassador´ remark is a pretty clear referral to Omega and it´s ´ambassadors´ :idea:

Your allegation however is not so funny and since it is made in public rather serious too. This forum may be sort of a free for all concerning bad manners, but this is definitely over the edge. You cannot call someone a terrorist on a public forum just like that.
    Wrong weekend to keep bringing up your Casio wearing terrorist fueled defense

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wrong weekend to keep bringing up your Casio wearing terrorist fueled defense
    http://www.oysterinfo.de/de/specials/ce ... _rolex.jpg

http://people.timezone.com/staff/CYR/cheGMT.jpg

(lesson learned; no more live links of fotos)

Yet as far as I know there was never anyone jailed without formal charges for an undetermained period on suspicion of communist activities for just wearing a Rolex.

It´s only wátches.

Heqzilla, you seem a little preoccupied with this F-91W malarkey, i'm beginning to worry :shock:

Master

Boom!

That made you jump didn't it. :evil:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiki-picasso
    Hexzilla, you seem a little preoccupied with this F-91W malarkey, i'm beginning to worry :shock:
    Hey, it´s suddenly not HeQzilla (because I wrote about heq) anymore? Has my golden Jimmy image gone too? :cry:
    I guess I will have to wear a soviet Boctok or ´Jessica´ the Cornavin Dolphin to the fiesta tonight :drunken:

Btw, I forgot to mention, that the ´U´ on the F-91W face seems to be a reference to the quartz module inside.
    They are getting to be collectables too, the early and ´japan´ examples. Seems I am not the only one liking these unpretentious worker watches.
    Oh, I am not collecting them; I just like giving them (and the ´golden´ sister model) away.

It´s only wátches.
    Correct - so why the constant onslaught of your polarised nonsense?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hexzilla, you seem a little preoccupied with this F-91W malarkey, i'm beginning to worry :shock:
    Hey, it´s suddenly not HeQzilla (because I wrote about heq) anymore? Has my golden Jimmy image gone too? :cry:
    I guess I will have to wear a soviet Boctok or ´Jessica´ the Cornavin Dolphin to the fiesta tonight :drunken:

Btw, I forgot to mention, that the ´U´ on the F-91W face seems to be a reference to the quartz module inside.
    They are getting to be collectables too, the early and ´japan´ examples. Seems I am not the only one liking these unpretentious worker watches.
    Oh, I am not collecting them; I just like giving them (and the ´golden´ sister model) away.
    Sorry Heqzilla, i meant Heq 8) :roll: :D

Getting into a flap about the nickname 'I' gave you :roll:

Pphhff....don't you know that gives me the right to change it to anything i see fit? :D

THe connection is because they was a very hi hit rate of people held wearing this exact watch - which I pointed out to my good colleagues in public services who wear one - as it seems in the US they even look out for people wearing them at the airport :)
    It's just a matter of time...

At this rate, there will soon be more threads about the "no worries" :roll: F-91 than there are about Omega, Panerai and Rolex combined :P :D

Sorry Heqzilla, i meant Heq 8) :roll: :D

Getting into a flap about the nickname 'I' gave you :roll:

Pphhff....don't you know that gives me the right to change it to anything i see fit? :D
    :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    THe connection is because they was a very hi hit rate of people held wearing this exact watch - which I pointed out to my good colleagues in public services who wear one - as it seems in the US they even look out for people wearing them at the airport :)
    I thought this was a joke but apparently it isnt. wtfitwct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gu ... io_watches
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Wierdo.... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    I thought this was a joke but apparently it isnt. wtfitwct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gu ... io_watches
    Curious about the claim on that wiki page that it had a compass I googled the spec and found a review on amazon that was so gushing it may have come from somebody here :D

"Talk about style... this timepiece has it all. My parents gave me my first F91 as a schoolboy but I never fully appreciated its unique blend of under-rated retro style and charming character. My timepiece acquired legendary iconic status amongst my schoolfriends after surviving multiple attempts to destroy it.

During one notable double chemistry lesson we managed to take off the screen using pencil-sharpener blades, we then stabbed the display with our compasses before setting the watch on fire over a bunsen burner.

To my amazement the F91 continued to function as normal.

I now consider my F91 or Freddie as he likes to be known, to be my best friend. "

That is just sad :roll:

Wonder what he means by stabbing it with a compass....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

That is just sad :roll:

Wonder what he means by stabbing it with a compass....

this type of compass. :wink:
    http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-GB ... 45&bih=567

Master

He means jabbing the pointy end of this into it,

I enjoy these posts and I can appreciate the watch, why the cyber-bullying, I don't know :?

Given that an original one of these must be worth all of ten quid I must admit I am struggling to give a sh**.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

Like it or not it's an iconic watch, I for one enjoy your posts Huertecilla, nobody's forced to read them so I really don't get the attitude :?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408

Still very sad :mrgreen:

Compounded by the fact, that the cheapo watch is his best friend and that he actually calls it "Freddie." Hope that part was a spoof.
    :roll: :lol:

Master

Compounded by the fact, that the cheapo watch is his best friend and that he actually calls it "Freddie." Hope that part was a spoof.
    You're telling me you don't give your watches names :shock:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed

"well, there's flo on my left and then mary on my right, and janey is the watch that i will wear tonight " :mrgreen:

Like it or not it's an iconic watch, I for one enjoy your posts Huertecilla, nobody's forced to read them so I really don't get the attitude :?
    I'm with you Mr Gunscrossed.

I haven't owned a Casio for 25 years (last one was a LCD display that represented an 3 hand analogue alongside the "numbers" style digital display) but Petrus does raise some interesting discussions.

Not saying I agree with them all mind (never owned or likely to own a Seiko if I'm being honest) but interesting reads all the same - and that includes the sarcastic remarks and Heqzilla lines - all good fun :)

"well, there's flo on my left and then mary on my right, and janey is the watch that i will wear tonight " :mrgreen:
    I sincerely hope, none of that "sad" rubs off on me! :shock:

:cwm10: Ohhh wait, too late; I am a member of a watch forum and have a keen interest in watches, watch movements and specs and I engage in (sometimes heated) debate about these subjects on the interweb
    :shock:
    :roll:
    :(

Master

To be honest, I haven't read many of them If I click and I don't think it's of interest I just use the back button.
    I didn't know about the link to terror though, which I found quite amusing :lol:

Grand Master

Never thought about these things being copied.

They're great for activities (swimming, running, mending cars etc) and very durable. They just look bad when worn in the wrong context......with a suit for example :)

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    Incomprehensible as it seems but it is the sad reality.

It is beyond ludicrous when you learn how many are estimated to have been sold since 1996: a billion!
    In our agricultural village of about 5500 souls in the heart of Andalucía alone some 1000 have been sold over those 15 years.
    There are FIVE shops in the village that stock them! The basar sells most and always has a at least a dozen at hand.
    We had an antique acrs/bikes encounter this morning as part of the Fiesta program. Some 40 participants on Mobylette Campera, Derbi, Puch, Fantic, Montessa, Bultaco, Moto Guzzi, Ossa etc. with 30 drivers wearing the F-91W.
    Around the mediterranean the male adult who has nót at one time owned one is an exception. Terrorific :albino:

This is also explains why they are being faked BIG time. The more so when you realise that those fakes are made and sold in marginal economies where centimos profit are worthwhile. The fakes easily net 2 euros a piece. Multiply by hundreds of thousands and you have big busines.
    Casio makes no color versions so all are fake/homage. Those cheerfull watches are sold by the hundreds of thousands this year in Europe alone. Just imagine, no risk of lawsuit, just easy profit.
    The fake F-91W business must be a colourfull gold mine.

:D :D :lol: :lol:

+ 1

A watch for 8-10 year old

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

:D :D :lol: :lol:

+ 1

A watch for 8-10 year old

"Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." - Jesus.

Gordon Bennet!

The son of God has been invoked now as a Casio ambassador. :shock:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Peter you've gone very funny since you have taken a liking to Bremonts. :lol: :wink:

For gods sake leave it alone before it's too late. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Peter you've gone very funny since you have taken a liking to Bremonts. :lol: :wink:

For gods sake leave it alone before it's too late. :lol:
    I actually checked out the F-91W on the Argos website, I can feel a purchase coming on :drunken:

In our agricultural village of about 5500 souls in the heart of Andalucía alone some 1000 have been sold over those 15 years.
    So you've got one on your wrist so what did you do with the other 999??
    What do the other 5499 villagers wear??

:wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

...but since those are fakes I did not count them :lol:

Oh sweet mother of God :shock:
    But my 4 year old daughter would love the pink ones in the bottom photo - I might have to treat her

...but since those are fakes I did not count them :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oh sweet mother of God :shock:
    But my 4 year old daughter would love the pink ones in the bottom photo - I might have to treat her
    The cost 8 euros or so. Quite a good buy to make your litle ones watch fans :wink:

Anyway, I will spare you the ones with the multicoured light show inside when you push the ´light´ button.
    You can find it on youtube easily enough.

I think it is not taking any sales from Casio since it attract a totally different market. The black worker watches do not in the least bit attract the female or young buyers. The cheerfull ones however stróngly appeal for being both cheerfull ánd copying the universal Casio the male part of the family wears. It has an extravagant, flippant angle to it.(That was/is a large part of the thing with the golden one too.)
    Casio could, should have explored this market themselves and now are missing out big time.

So, after reading the latest "bash 'Cilla" thread, I thought I should take a look at the revered F-91, and found this thread.

What saddens me is not Cilla's love of this humble watch, nor the slagging he gets, but the fact that no-one has pointed out that the picture below is NOT of a compass! That's called "a pair of compasses", yet not a single member of the Grammar Police picked up this schoolboy error. What the hell is going on?!

He means jabbing the pointy end of this into it,

I enjoy these posts and I can appreciate the watch, why the cyber-bullying, I don't know :?

My guess is that, in this case, the Grammar Police were magnanimous enough to let it slide :P

The gravity of the discussion, after all, precluded any comments on such trivial matters :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    The gravity of the discussion, after all, precluded any comments on such trivial matters :D
    Thank you for reminding me of trivial matters; I still have to make a picture of ´the complete set´. Box, dedicated stand, hang tags et al. The obligatory Nato strap and the oil filled model will make neat accessoires :lol:

The revival of this thread also reminds me to revive the testing series :bounce:
    Driving the car over it will not be much of a chalenge but it is a good motivator to get him doing maths to calculate the loads on the watch.
    Boiling the thing will be last on the list.

Meanwhile Casio have launched the F-91WC. The ´C´ is from ´Colour´. They have apprearantly decided that the immensely popuplar coloured fakes have created a market worthwhile.

Back to the original thread, pushing and holding the bottom right button also provides proof;

Absolutely love these simple little watches.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1stof
    Absolutely love these simple little watches.
    Yes, they are endearing. The more ´fun´ you have with them, the more so.
    I keep my distance emotionally or otherwise it would be too stressfull to have this much fun with them :wink:
    Despite the careless deliberate abuse, I have not had óne going off the beat though.

The oil-filled appeared to have stopped when I froze it. The veggie oild flocked solid and it seemed the end of the poor thing. Afther thawing out it proved to have bee simply hidden from sight and had no lost a second.
    No air buble nor leak either btw. The case/window/rear lid are apperantly flexible enough to allow for the variation in fluid volume.

It is a low end quality product sold in mind bogling numbers.

So what's your take on the new colour ones, H? Are they a bit déclassé? Should I prefer a black one?