closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky HD frustration

Master
    Blog Entries

Sky HD frustration

Is anyone else's sky HD freezing alot at the moment? Mine has frozen and required hard reset 6/7 times since yesterday afternoon resulting in recordings failing :evil: I just tried to phone sky who have a message saying that due to high call volumes they can't answer my call (perhaps due to money problems I won't pay their bill this month) and to look at the helpdesk Anytime page.

Just thought I would ask before my head explodes.

Re: Sky HD frustration

No problems here... How old is your box and what make is it?

Master

I recently had problems getting channels and with freezing so I called them to cancel and was offered a new box for free if I stayed. The difference is huge, no problems and a 12 month warranty on this one.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Jon, it was replaced (gratis) a few months back, not sure what make it is. It seems (after a bit of googling) that there is a widespread problem with Anytime at the moment. Seems my box freezes as soon as I press the red button for Anytime and last night froze when trying to watch something recorded from Anytime. There is a fix apparently but I worry about loosing all the stuff on my hard drive. I will just stay away from Anytime for a while.

Thanks for the responses.

As a warning to others, pressing the red button for Anytime will knacker anything which you are trying to record so be careful if it is something you really want to watch.

Master

Had it a while back, but with the help of the lady on the phone, who couldn't speak English, bloody Scottish call centers :lol: it was fixed.
    I am however on my third remote control in as many months, and am close to telling them to shove the lot, as i've been waiting 10 days for a new one which should have been with me 5 days ago, actually I think it's time to call them now :evil:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bloater
    Had it a while back, but with the help of the lady on the phone, who couldn't speak English, bloody Scottish call centers :lol: it was fixed.
    I am however on my third remote control in as many months, and am close to telling them to shove the lot, as i've been waiting 10 days for a new one which should have been with me 5 days ago, actually I think it's time to call them now :evil:
    Don't bother you won't get through, even on the line for wanting to cancel your subscription, I guess they are swamped with angry people wanting to know why their box keeps freezing. Monkeys

Craftsman

It might be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but the new 1 GB ones are much better. Have had mine about 3 months and no crashes. My old one needed a hard re-boot every day... Mine was £150 as an upgrade and has the benefit of around 7 times more storage space.

Cheers,

Peter.

Other than the odd ocassional freeze I have had no problems with my box at all for nearly a year.
    I do on occassion get the channel I am watching breaking up for no obvious reason,not weather realated etc and after a minute or so it stops,the weird part is though even if it does it when you rewind it back a bit afterwards it is perfectly fine,weird!

Ours has started doing that today as well. Seems to freeze and doesn't respond to anything, either via the remote or pressing the buttons on the unit. Hard reset resolves it for a while.

Sorry to hear chaps - almost makes me feel glad I sacked them off, Freesat will be up and running on Tuesday now the octo LNB and wiring is done. :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

I've just replaced my 3 year old HD box for pretty much the same reason. I was told that most are replaced with a refurbished box and that they don't last more than 6 months to a year at most.

Sorry but it sounds like your box is knackered again :(

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    I've just replaced my 3 year old HD box for pretty much the same reason. I was told that most are replaced with a refurbished box and that they don't last more than 6 months to a year at most.

Sorry but it sounds like your box is knackered again :(
    It was Anytime playing up, all seems to be back to normal again.

I had a weird problem with mine — I live in a new apartment building pre-wired for Sky using a communal dish, but it's only wired with one feed per flat. That means a gadget is required to be installed at both ends to get Sky+/HD, which usually requires two. Once this kit is in place, all that's needed is a setting changed to tell the Sky box what to do. For some reason, this reset itself (perhaps after an overnight update?) and I had no TV service at all. Called Sky Customer Services who knew nothing about it. They had me swapping cables, rebooting the box ... everything, in fact, other than the simple fix it required. Having been told it would take two weeks to get an engineer out, I Googled the problem and fixed it myself in seconds. :roll:

Had my 'old' Samsung HD box replaced free back in June for the new and improved, and smaller, Amstrad box. Normally wouldn't touch anything built by Amstrad but Amstrad are now owned by Sky and run by the ex CTO of Pace. Apparently they are well made :roll:

Only had one freeze since then. So far so good but we'll see!

Master

Mine started freezing, then anytime went doolaly, then some channels had no sattelite signal received, now nothing but blue. Resets dont work.

It is tattied and very annoying. :evil:

Mocing soon so will cancel before the move and get a new contract and box.

Master

Had the same thing recently - a few freezes, solved by hard resets, but I don't use Anytime. Can you switch Anytime off?

Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Had the same thing recently - a few freezes, solved by hard resets, but I don't use Anytime. Can you switch Anytime off?

Cheers
    there is a way:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums...howThread.aspx

This is the fix for the problems people were having over the weekend with anytime

Master

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam

Cheers
    there is a way:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums...howThread.aspx

This is the fix for the problems people were having over the weekend with anytime
    Cool!!! Will take a look properly tomorrow.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Jon, it was replaced (gratis) a few months back, not sure what make it is. It seems (after a bit of googling) that there is a widespread problem with Anytime at the moment. Seems my box freezes as soon as I press the red button for Anytime and last night froze when trying to watch something recorded from Anytime. There is a fix apparently but I worry about loosing all the stuff on my hard drive. I will just stay away from Anytime for a while.

Thanks for the responses.

As a warning to others, pressing the red button for Anytime will knacker anything which you are trying to record so be careful if it is something you really want to watch.
    good tip. cheers.

Why aren't TIVO launching a HD box?

The old SD version was the best PVR available - bar none. Still going strong for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes
    Why aren't TIVO launching a HD box?

The old SD version was the best PVR available - bar none. Still going strong for me.
    There is a new Tivo box in the US. When it was released there was mention made that Virgin Media would be using a version of it as a DVR later in the year.

Will it make guesses as to your favourite programmes and record them?

This was one of the best features of the old Tivo. It would monitor your viewing habits and record anything that it reckoned you might like.

A bit hit or miss at the beginning but it refined the choices and improved with time.

A wonderful piece of kit and a true PVR.

Master
    Blog Entries

SkyHD customer may wish to have a look on Anytime now, there is a 5 minute program on this. I'm not going to comment on it, I will let others post their thoughts first.