closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How long can you go for?

How long can you go for?

I don't mean that, you wierdo...
    How long will you/can you stand to wear one watch for?
    I don't mean without taking it off at all - just normal daily wear, take it off at night or at the gym (or not), back on the next morning etc. for an extended period of time, every day, unbroken by any other watches.
    There's often talk here of "should I sell everthing and just get one...", but i don't know of anyone actually following through with it - there's always "plus my beater and a dress watch, of course" :wink:

So, how long have you gone for? (since being a TZ'er - because before that we all just had one watch and were happy with it!!!). What watch and why would be good, too.

I'll start,
    My Glycine Combat Sub has been worn every day now since June 15th 2010, so just over 3 months.
    And that's simply because I like it lots. Actually, I like it far more now than I did after a couple of weeks - Have had a bit of a Love, Not sure, Like again, Love, relationship with it - but I find you get something deeper out of a watch by putting some time in with it.
    (I have bought others since, but not worn other than to try on :roll: )

Re: How long can you go for?

3 or 4 weeks i think is my max
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

I only take one watch on holiday and haven't been away for more than 2 weeks in many years, so I think the answer is two weeks. I tend to rotate watches simply because I can :D

normally it's a day, but occasionally two. If it's a new watch I have been known to wear it three days running :shock: .

I only took one watch away on holiday this summer however and survived the fortnight (I actually found it quite liberating), but as soon as I got back I fall back into changing my watch every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    - but I find you get something deeper out of a watch by putting some time in with it.
    Quite agree. I tend to fall in love again with most of my watches, once I rotate them and wear a particular one for an extended period.

I reckon I usually wear one for at least a month or so, perhaps more, in order to get back that 'something deeper' you mention - it was usually there when I took the decision to buy it in the first place, and I like to think I don't tend to make the mistake of buying a watch I'm not sure I really want or could live with.

Currently my 16800 Sub has been on my wrist constantly (at night, in the shower, etc) for 4 weeks now, and to me it's still as lurrvelly as the day I walked out of the AD with it, 27 years ago!

I enjoy wearing different watches for different reasons so not long.

Two to three months, then into the watch drawer for revitalised WISness and that new watch vibe.Reminds me, I've gone over with the DC56, must be four or five months. Hmmm, time for a bracelet I think..........................

F.T.F.A.

Master

Been wearing my old man's 5513 all his week and most of last. By far the longest I've worn one watch in... A couple of years probably. :shock:

Been wearing my zenith de luca to work pretty solidly for the last few months but always wear the eco-drive at weekends and maybe the JLC ultrathin if I'm going dressy...

I normally change daily except in the honeymoon period for a new arrival, but I only took one watch to Le Mans this year & wore it for the fully 5 days :shock:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Similar, Ive worn my Fortis Pilot Pro GMT since 17th June with the exception of 2 days last week where I switched to my Fleiger Day/Date but after that back on with the GMT its just so comfortable.

Craftsman

I have my watches sat on my desk whilst i am working from home...and i tend to swap them on and off all day...bit extreme but it keeps me happy...

About a week, more usually 2-3 days. If I notice I've gone through a phase of changing a lot, then I make a point of wearing watches for a couple of days at a time to get out of the habit. This also helps me notice if I'm just not wearing a watch and would be better off flipping it for something I will wear.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I go on a weekly rotation basis, rarely change more often.

Holidays 3-4 weeks, one watch only.

Pre TZ a year :lol:

Craftsman

I've worn my Sub LV every day since late April of this year.

Generally I wear my Longines Hydroconquest for the office every day and my G-Shock for exercise etc. Typically I have a third watch for casual wear, and this slot is currently filled by a Combat Sub. Since I received it a week ago I've worn it every day apart from when I'm exercising.

The longest I wear my watches is for about 3 days before I need a change...... :roll:

I can go away from home for weeks at a time with my job and tend to take one plus a G-Shock 5600 as a back-up. So I would say six weeks at a time for work, certainly the two weeks of a family vacation, but if I'm home I guess I change them around every couple of days or so. For the long trips it's always a water-resistant automatic or a kinetic, wouldn't want to run out of battery half way across the Southern Ocean..
    Steve

Generally, I can only manage two days at most, I have to consider what to wear each day. The only exception is the g-shock at weekends when working on the house.

Craftsman

7 months last year while working away from home ( only took one, orange monster on rubber ).
    Normally a work watch and then one of four for the evening/weekend.

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Pre TZ a year :lol:
    +1

Never seem to get bored of my Sub ND, I literally have to force myself to wear something else after three or four weeks :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

DSSD has been on every day and night (love the lume) since i got it a few weeks back.
    I only change a watch for a "beater" if i'm going away on holiday and the swimming pool is going to become my second home - daft really as everything i have is waterproof up to x many metres etc!
    Just like to look after my things.
    The rest of my watches ARE being sold off in dribs and drabs - i see no reason anymore to keep them.
    I do however buy watches for others as gifts, and my friends love the fact that i find them nice bits and bobs.
    It's a great hobby - this is a good forum overall.

Master

I wear my Sinn 556 for work monday to friday every week. I usually keep 2 others on the go as well, at the moment its my Explorer 1 and my Sinn U1. I probably wear each one for a few hours a day to keep wound up or maybe one for the full day after work and the other for the full day after.
    When I get bored of one I will change it for another, usually one which hasnt been out for the longest, Currently thinking of changing the Explorer for the DA36 :)

Journeyman

Ouch, tough question!!

I think if I had a watch that was versatile enough to wear under a shirtcollar, on a casual Sunday afternoon and rough enough to do some recreational swimming, I could probably wear the same watch all the time.

If I could put everything I got into a sporty Patek or AP RO(and then be willing to take THAT watch into the water...) then I wouldn't have a craving to wear any other watch!

- Morten

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    Slightly over 16 hrs. I use one watch at work and change to another when I get home. (sometimes switch to 3rd one if I'm going out again.) Normally have 2 watches when I travel.

what he said, unless i work late and then dont bother to change.

I wore my EZM1 for a year. It's come off now and I'm wearing a different Lemania based one, which I have to 'baby' to some degree, so it'll make the odd appearence but I can't beat the Sinn as a daily wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Same here. Although I do keep an emergency second watch abroad in case I get all jittery for something fresh. It has stopped me running into watch shops a couple of times.

Master

Usually change every single day, sometime two or three times per day but since coming away I've had the Sumo on for the full four days. :shock:

I might actually try weekly rotation when I get home to see if that will help with the flipperitis.

This will be the third day in a row, for this one, it might even make it to over the weekend, which would be a record for me.

Blog Entries

Probably 2weeks without deviation or change in any form (straps etc)

The very act of reading this triggered a change!

However, I'd say holidays and business trips anchor me to a single watch, so 10 days max this year.

Although, as one poster noted, pre tz it could be measured in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Usually change every single day, sometime two or three times per day but since coming away I've had the Sumo on for the full four days. :shock:

I might actually try weekly rotation when I get home to see if that will help with the flipperitis.
    I had heard you used to be indecisive, but that now you weren't so sure.... :D

A few days.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Had my old Seiko Kenetic worne vertually every day for 9 years till the watch virus got me and now Im onto a Rolex but with luck would like to save it form full time all the time wear by partnering it up with an Omega Aqua Terra then it should be nice to bring the Rolex out for special occasions making its ulimate servicing and full life longer for me

I change once a week, but recently I wore my 16600 for six weeks (two weeks holiday and four weeks after I got home), although I did change it between the bracelet and a couple of Natos in that time.

Journeyman

Generally, three days, although I was able to last for 10 days when I was last on holiday, Italy in Dec. 2008.

Craftsman

One watch during the week and another for the weekend.

I usually pick 5 or 6 and switch between them untill I get bored and then swap them for a different 5 or 6, but I can change what watch I am wearing out of the selection 3 or 4 times a day.

Do I have a problem??????????????????

Chris.

It depends where I am working, but I tend to wear the same watch as long as it remains very, very accurate - it's like a game really . I wore my Dreadnought for 5 months, and it didn't gain or lose a second in all that time (it never came off). I wore my MK2 MMT Blackwater hybrid for 6 months with the same result, and after my holiday in August I've been wearing my Steinhart Aviation GMT for 5 weeks - you've guessed it - keeping spot on, atomic checked, perfect time as well. I suppose the longest period I have worn a watch continually was 14 years with my 52 King Seiko calendar chronometer (a 52KCM, 25 jewel automatic, Swiss certified COSC) when I only had one working watch - and I didn't know what a gem it was until I started 'collecting' watches years later. :D

Craftsman

Weeks, the 16710 is getting almost all the wrist time these days :)

Together with girlfriends DJ :D

Journeyman

I've been wering my GMT-Master II all day and every day for almost 4 months - that includes when showering and sleeping. This is due to me being away in hot, sunny, sandy climes but I'll be back home in just over 3 weeks - cant wait.

I did buy the GMT as an everyday wearer, though, and I am making use of its multi-timezone functions. It's certainly not getting 'babied' out here and it's standing up to everything with no problems.

I was wondering if the (Pepsi) bezel would start to fade in this blistering sun, but even that seems to be standing up well.

Grand Master

My next arrival will be worn for a week maybe and until the next new arrival I will change them daily,sometimes iv'e been known to change my watch a few times in a day :roll: ,If we are going out I can be hours deciding what watch to put on :lol: I'm kidding guys :wink: ,maybe just an hour to choose :wink: .

I usually tend to rotate through mine and often change daily, or maybe wear one for 3 or 4 days. With a new arrival though, I might wear it for a week or so, maybe up to 2 whole weeks without a change.

Sometimes depends if I'm running late for work and do t have time to wind and set a mechanical, so I'll just grab one if my quartz ones and dash out to work!

Craftsman

One day at a time apart from the new arrivals they always get a few days
    then its back in the mix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    ...just normal daily wear, take it off at night or at the gym (or not), back on the next morning etc. for an extended period of time, every day, unbroken by any other watches.
    Well, a Rolex SD 16600 for 6 years and the only time it would come off was to adjust the bracelet, scrub it with a toothbrush or run it through the effing x-ray at middle eastern airports. Does that count?