closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Rolex Deepsea?

What do you think of the Rolex Deepsea?

I just wondered what the TZ-UK forum users think of the Rolex Deepsea?
    do you like it?- or do you think it's not a great Rolex?

Cheers,
    Farmkid.

Re: What do you think of the Rolex Deepsea?

Use of the search function will reveal all.

But if you can not be 'bovered,' I can say, that it is not for me......and I like big watches. To each his own and all that.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

If I had a quid every time i hear this.

No offence if you not been around long

My answer - like it. Hence why i'm wearing one now.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman

Hi Farmkid,

you might get flamed!! Plenty of threads on here about liking/disliking the DeepSea... the search function is your friend!!

For what it's worth, I like it. I think it has a far more integrated case than the previous Sea Dweller (which I have), and the crystal sits flush with the bezel, which makes it much less prone to chips than the previous iteration (and yes, I have a chip in mine!!).

As for the looks, I also like it. I've suggested before that it looks much more of a Japanese watch than previous Subs/Sea-Dwellers, and I like that too.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless
    Hi Farmkid,

you might get flamed!! Plenty of threads on here about liking/disliking the DeepSea... the search function is your friend!!

For what it's worth, I like it. I think it has a far more integrated case than the previous Sea Dweller (which I have), and the crystal sits flush with the bezel, which makes it much less prone to chips than the previous iteration (and yes, I have a chip in mine!!).

As for the looks, I also like it. I've suggested before that it looks much more of a Japanese watch than previous Subs/Sea-Dwellers, and I like that too.

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Each to their own. I been on this forum 7 yrs n can count on one hand times i've really gone to town about a watch. 4 of those i think were defending my decision to put my DSSD on a strap.
    Paul

Master

It's ace.

Journeyman

It's a fantastic watch. The thickness may be an issue for you but other than that it's magnificent.
    BR
    Klaus

I like it, I think it is a cool watch and if i could afford one I would go and buy one tomorrow.

But I can not, but you never know.

I liked the Deep sea I had but to be honest I much, much prefer the Omega 1200m Ploprof which has a 'street price' of about £1000 less and IMHO is a watch that makes me smile considerably more.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72
    I like it, I think it is a cool watch and if i could afford one I would go and buy one tomorrow.

But I can not, but you never know.
    Keep yr fingers crossed mate.

I now want Daytona ,DJ2 or jls memovox. But my wife says selfish-too soon- i only had dssd 5 month
    Paul

Master

I think it's probably the most beautiful watch ever made :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc
    I think it's probably the most beautiful watch ever made :wink:
    In the words of Vic n Bob - 'You lying get!' :D
    Paul

Master

I bought a DSSD last week and it has been on my wrist since then. I originally did have concerns about the height of the case but that all dissipated when the watch was properly sized and fitted on my wrist...it is very comfortable.

The whole watch just screams quality, even more so than my new LV-C. Nice touches on the DSSD are the domed crystal, titanium case back and glidelock clasp. The ceramic bezel is nice and shiny and the whole watch just looks great.

Over the past two years I've bought a GMT2, a Sea Dweller and a Milgauss GV. I sold all of them because to me they just weren't quite right. The DSSD is the only Rolex I'm tempted by now. It might not be to everyone's taste but IMO it's a great watch.

I like it other than the writing around the dial. That spoils it for me. I still prefer the old model though by a country mile. I had the chance to buy one a few years ago and didn't..... :cry:

Banned

I had a choice between the DSSD and the SD - I chose the latter. The DSSD is just not quite right for me, it seems Rolex have possibly lost their way when in comes to design the last couple years.

Grand Master

I don't know about the Deep-Sea, it's quite big and quite thick, but a lot of mainstream watches are much bigger. But it is fun to see another Rolex thread, and to watch the spittle fly ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134406&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

You not done this to death FK?

To answer your question, I'm one of those who think it's tremendous. Most peoples dislike is the size and to be honest, I would struggle to 'relax' in it, but I would have one in a flash if I had the funds.

I think a lot of the people who dislike it, say it based on them potentially having to choose only one Rolex. I think most current modern Rolex sports owners would like one alongside others in a collection.

I wanted a showpiece and went for the PloProf, but it was a tough choice and yes, sometimes I wish I had a DSSD. One day.

The DS, is a fine looking watch. The only thing I found when I saw it up close, was the fact the it seemed a little too tall, without any good reason, which made it feel a bit top heavy.

Blog Entries

I had mine for a month or so and loved it. Fit & finish superb and one of the only watches I have had comments on from none WIS. However ultimately I found it uncomfortable :( I did size the bracelet correctly but it is top heavy, I just wish the bracelet was a bit wider as I think that would solve the issue. Other than that loved it.

Now, I know 'they' say, that one does not notice all the writing on the DeepSea when one has worn it a short while.

That certainly was true, when I bought my GPGGYC. The first day, I thought I would never get used to the 'BMW Oracle' on the dial. I dislike BMWs and I dislike too much writing on a dial. The writing was red albeit in a very small font as compared to the DeepSea.

After a very short while, I did not notice the writing at all. I must say, that the GGYC might be the best timekeeper and certainly one of the watches, I have been most satisfied with. Super quality.

That being said, I literally YELP with laughter, when ever I see this
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye

There, just did it again! :lol:

When the DeepSea came out, I wanted to like it, but I just do not.

Just so you know, where I am comming from regarding text on dials, this is what I wear these days:

Not a big fan of writing on dial and bezels.....or chapter rings for that matter.

But to each his own...., blah...., blaah....., blaaah ad nauseam :mrgreen:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    That certainly was true, when I bought my GPGGYC.
    Gesundheit.

Apprentice

Hmm …… :love3: I like it :love4: – A LOT :love5:

its the mutts nuts...... :mrgreen:

Master
    Blog Entries

It doesn't seem to be a big seller in Cardiff we have had one in the shop window for the last month!!

........or they have more than one in the shop :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    ........or they have more than one in the shop :lol:
    Lol actually there is 3 in the shop and none of them are selling!!

I love it and would love one - but that would mean selling and I always find that the hard part - giving up one of my collection isn't easy for me:(
    It's just a matter of time...

total bad ass watch and totally ott , a piece of engineering at its best

had one but my bro took it off my hands as i never seemed to wear it as its a bit
    too big for me and couldn't pull it off .

so im replacing it with the new ceramic subby hopefully this wk

Al

Journeyman

What do you think of the Rolex Deepsea?

Daddy like!!!

Master

I think it's superlative & good value for money.

Craftsman

Despite how often this question is asked, I don't tire of it...

I have actually held out on buying this watch, as I wanted to gauge how it would be received, how I felt around it etc... though I am a Rolex fan, as well as HUGE dive watch fan.

Needless to say I just picked one up this week in Rome, at Bedetti (Rolex AD and in business since 1882)... and got it for a song, V serial BNIB 5085 euros (which made it an easy decision).

I do have a longstanding relationship with them, hence the discount, and interact with them at a business/professional level other than just watches etc...

Anyway, my point... I believe that those that do not like the watch either A.) have a very small wrist or B.) cannot justify its cost (as really now, what is there not to like) -- there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the watch (in design of otherwise) if you have a manly wrist, it is amazingly over-engineered dive watch, even proven to be bullet-proof, and to me an absolute beaut (MUST HAVE).

But to each their own... I'm sure they'll be posts from members with hams for wrists insiting it's not costs, but rather they just don't like it :roll:

That it is tall, well yes... it's water-resistant to 3900 meters, it cannot compete with the Omega La Magique (cal 1357) at 1.2 mm thick!

That there's alot of writing on it - yes again... but when on the wrist, you don't see any of that... in pictures the cameras focus on all the writing as they need to focus on something to take the picture.

My only complaint would be infact the tapered bracelet... but I've always had a problem with the cheap clasps on the Seadwellers, these things are not big deals/problems, moreso personal preference and attempts at finding something wrong with perfection :drunken:

NO watch will ever be perfect, but this one is as close as I have observed of any Sport/Dive watch EVER... and I collect primarily divers from the 60s-present, so I've owned ALL the major/legandary ones, and this one is TOPS :wink:

Mind you I already own a blinged out 2002 Factory Diamond dial/bezel Rolex DateJust 18k/SS on Oyster bracelet, T25 dial variant 90s SeaDweller and my safe queen COMEX SeaDweller... this DeepSea is a much more impressive piece... even surpasses my IWC 3536 in aesthetic beauty

I recommend ALL should try one on IF they can find one... if you have a small wrist, I can understand that being a problem, if you don't have a small wrist, then you should be considering moving things around and acquring one sometime in the near future.

A truly amazing timepiece -- beware though, incredible fakes exist, and even the credit card warranties are being faked with replica's serials on them!

I'd only buy one DIRECTLY from an AD, or one from a VERY trusted seller... and go V serial, as the Ms are THE most copied version!

I'll be posting pics soon... also just received a GIFT from the guys over at COMEX for my August visit... a COMEX Ocean Blue CPro hat (as they had little in terms of hand outs other than the Delauze book in French, and marketing pamphet)!

Good luck in your pursuits... and the DSSD rules, especially if you can work a deal on one!

Master

I've just been trying one on. I liked the old SD, and hope to get one. But I find the DSSD just too big and heavy. It's about the same size as my Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut Chrono but whilst that's also a bit big, it wears much smaller becuase it's Titanium. The Rolex is too big to fit under my shirt cuff and too heavy. I'd rather have the GMTIIC. OTOH, the graffiti around the chapter ring is less noticeable in the metal than in photos. I don't LIKE it but I could live it. But not with the weight.

It is a magnificent watch but like others have already said it wears very tall and feels top heavy although many watches are like that nowadays. :?

I have 8 inch wrists, have thought about buying and have been offered a couple but am worried if I started wearing monster watches and got used to them my present SD/Sub would feel like toys. :shock:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    It doesn't seem to be a big seller in Cardiff we have had one in the shop window for the last month!!
    Someone always makes this comment but I think it reflects the price more than the watch. Not everyone who wants one can probably afford to spend £5880 on a watch.

Neil

The DSSD is my one and only keeper - simple as that 8)

Craftsman

It's the dogs wotsits!

And when I've saved up enough pennies this will be my next acquisition.
    :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    The Rolex is too big to fit under my shirt cuff...
    Where do the guys who can't fit a DS under their cuff buy their spray-on shirts?? You must all be some Versace-wearing fly boys?! :D

Doesn't bother me, I can mix n change any time. I took my DS off other week to try new Air King on. Now I did see a slight :lol: size difference but both feel comfy.
    Paul

I love it. It's a terrific piece of engineering. A real statment piece... but I don't want one and wouldn't buy one. As often said, each to his own and it's not for me :roll: The crucial question is "what do YOU think?"
    Gray

Craftsman

I really like it and would definately have one. However, as some have said about fitting under a shirt I do not wear a shirt very often so that is ok. I also have small wrists and when I tried one on I was more than happy with the look. I like everything about it, apart from the price.

Paddy

Master

It's very refreshing to read this thread, as I don't think this has been discussed before.

It's a bit too small, and it could have been a bit thicker too - this would have helped give it more wrist presence. Also the "Original Gas Escape Valve" text needs to be more prominent and much bolder.

It's also very underpriced and quite rare so be prepared to pay a considerable premium for one. :P

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    It's very refreshing to read this thread, as I don't think this has been discussed before.

It's a bit too small, and it could have been a bit thicker too - this would have helped give it more wrist presence. Also the "Original Gas Escape Valve" text needs to be more prominent and much bolder.
    :lol:

50% bigger writing would have brought the overall character height on the inner shoulder to well over 1 mm, thus allowing people with bad eyesight - who all need 44mm+ watches "cos I can't read anything smaller" - to confirm exactly what functions their watch offers.

On a more prosaic note if Rolex had adopted conventional case technology and engineered it for 3,900m WR then a bit of extrapolation suggests the case would have been well comfortably over 20mm thick. Watch out, Oris Pro Diver...!

Craftsman

Remove 75% of the writing that's all over it and it's quite ok.

There must be something special about owning one though as so many say that you stop noticing those ring lock nonsenses when you wear one ;)

Where have you been for the last 6 months :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

On the positive side - it may have the writing, and the Citizen-a-like blue lume, but at least they've not blinged it up with a cyclops. Having said which, by the time you get to the age you can afford a Rolex SD, your eyesight will probably have deteriorated enought to justify the cyclops...

I think its the best looking Rolex out there!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Where have you been for the last 6 months :lol:
    Sorry Chris

I've been living on the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea - 12800 feet down. I lost track of the time...if only I'd had a watch that could have survived that depth... :)

Is it viable to ban the Deepsea from being mentioned in any future threads?