closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where's your 'sweet spot'...?

Where's your 'sweet spot'...?

I know it's a complete generalisation but I tend to go for watches in the £1-2k bracket.

Less than that and I don't get excited, more than that and it has to be really special.

Largely on that basis I'd rather have 10 £1k watches than 1 £10k watch but I'd prefer 1 £1k watch to 10 £100 watches.

Anyone else have these self imposed boundaries?

Re: Where's your 'sweet spot'...?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner
    Anyone else have these self imposed boundaries?
    Yes, the wife and she said no more watches! :D

The "sweet spot" doesn't exist, so don't even bother trying to look for it. You'll only end up demoralised and with a dirty hand.
    Oh, wait - you don't mean that kind of think do you

I generally have to have a watch that is around 5000€, but sometimes when times get hard i settle for a 'cheap' watch like a speedmaster or railmaster or a breitling... But then I just keep saving and then sell it to get the real watch i want.... Now I'm lucky to own a IWC Ingenieur chrono, I just sold a Panerai 312, but really miss it and I have a Railmaster that I will probably want to sell in a month or so...

It's such a tricky one as I love different brands.

Rolex is my most common brand and I would have said my price bracket was £2k to £3k a few years back - these days I can't afford to buy as many and my price bracket is probably a lot higher- I'd like to add a DSSD and a PlopProf as examples.

I can't really get too interested in up to £1k watches - there is so much competition and regardless of some people's opinion they are not as well made as large mainstream brands (I stand to be corrected - as there may be true exceptions - but this will be few and between).

Most over £10k don't appeal too much - or rather I tend not to let them appeal too much - I have my 116509 Daytona and love it - an extravagance - but a personal present to myself - I love the look and feel of it and prefer it over virtually every other watch I own.

That said I don't prefer my Subs and SD's 2.5 - 5 times more than my SMP 300's - so there is definitely diminishing returns in both real value against cost and indeed quality - a £5k watch is not 5 times better quality than a £1k watch - but in general terms it is a lot better - just not 5 times better.

Whilst some smaller more exclusive brands charge top prices even they will find it hard to compete against the power houses of Swatch and Rolex in all areas. Economies of scales alone allow these to use better materials and techniques purely due to the number involved.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I just buy what I like the look of. What is costs isn't a factor, within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by brookwaters
    I generally have to have a watch that is around 5000€, but sometimes when times get hard i settle for a 'cheap' watch like a speedmaster or railmaster or a breitling... But then I just keep saving and then sell it to get the real watch i want.... Now I'm lucky to own a IWC Ingenieur chrono, I just sold a Panerai 312, but really miss it and I have a Railmaster that I will probably want to sell in a month or so...
    :o Oh dear. That's the way to make friends here.... And I guess I'll See your Railmaster in the SC in a few posts time, then? :wink:

Master

Currently I'm only looking at things <£300 :(

But with a good bonus and hopefully a new job on the horizon, I have some ideas for the not too distant future. :wink:

Totally depends on the watch!! :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    I just buy [s:1ursc3og]what I like the look of[/s:1ursc3og] everything on SC. What is costs isn't a factor, within reason.
    There I've fixed it for you Vicky :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    I just buy [s:1dowkkqr]what I like the look of[/s:1dowkkqr] everything on SC. What is costs isn't a factor, within reason.
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    :o Oh dear. That's the way to make friends here.... And I guess I'll See your Railmaster in the SC in a few posts time, then? :wink:

Nah, I don't mean that by offending anyone, just trying to point out there is a difference between certain watches (inhouse or ETA, etc). And I'm not just waiting for my 50 posts to sell my watch, i'll probably be some time after New Year, still need some time to try and let it grow on me... :wink:

Master

I generally have to have a watch that is around 5000€
    Unusual thing to say that one generally has to have a watch of a particular cost; seems a little cart before the horse, if you know what I mean.

I only buy second hand and the most I have spent is £2100.

I guess anything up to that mark is where I feel comfortable.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists

Nah, I don't mean that by offending anyone, just trying to point out there is a difference between certain watches (inhouse or ETA, etc). And I'm not just waiting for my 50 posts to sell my watch, i'll probably be some time after New Year, still need some time to try and let it grow on me... :wink:
    I think we understand the differences :wink: but I wouldn't call a Speedy, Raily or a Breitling a cheap watch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've often considered consolidating my collection for something more pricey. However I've found that cost is irrelevant to whether I bond with the watch. Since getting a submariner 14060m I've had no desire to wear or purchase anything else. Adding anothe £5K to the budget won't necessarily buy me a more comfortable, accurate or asthetically pleasing watch. My sweet spot appears to be £2250( price I paid for the no date sub. :) )

Don't think I could wear something that costs more than about £300.

Luckily I really like the skx007

I really enjoy wearing my Hamilton Seaview ($600 pre owned) it feels great and gets lots of comment, as does the Junghans 027/2411 (1009 EUR), Glycine Combat (£600 ish) Precista PRS-3LE. But then any of my Parnis models which are around £50, feel and look good too!

As an earlier post said, if you likes it, buy it! and try and wear each in rotation hopefully.

I don't think it's so much a "sweet spot" with price, more a "sweet brand" within each price bracket for me.

For example in the sub £1k I like the Sinn range, £3k to £6k would be Rolex etc etc.

For me personally the hard one is the £1k to £3k range as they're aren't any clear brand winners (though they used to be before everyone started putting their prices up!) but that's where I find I'm lusting after second hand pieces from the next price range up :)

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    I just buy [s:37myexhl]what I like the look of[/s:37myexhl] everything on SC. What is costs isn't a factor, within reason.
    :D

You are still in the first year mania phase of SC I think sweetie! It gets us all - like being let loose in a sweet shop. I found myself buying all kinds of stuff (and let's be honest here - I often still do), but I have calmed down a bit and now tend to concentrate on fewer, but more expensive pieces.

The mania is fun while it lasts though!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Thomas Reid

£50.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries

Where's your 'sweet spot'...? :shock: :shock: :shock: - isn't that a private matter?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    :D

You are still in the first year mania phase of SC I think sweetie! It gets us all - like being let loose in a sweet shop. I found myself buying all kinds of stuff (and let's be honest here - I often still do), but I have calmed down a bit and now tend to concentrate on fewer, but more expensive pieces.
    I had an expensive(ish) "accident" today :lol: 8)