closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing Old Paint from Numerals on Bezel

Removing Old Paint from Numerals on Bezel

I have an 80's Omega Constellation. The roman numerals on the 18Kt gold bexel are etched and painted. Due to age, some of the paint on the numerals has flaked away. I wish to remove the remaining old paint before re-painting with satin enamel model paint. What is the best way of removing the remaining old paint? Any abrasive method will destroy the finish on the bezel. Is it OK to use paint stripper? Has anyone done something like this before? Thank you.

Master

Re: Removing Old Paint from Numerals on Bezel

Presumably you are going to remove the bezel from the watch?
    If you've got an ultrasonic cleaner, soapy water will normally do the job. If not, acetone will remove just about any paint, as will Nitromors.

If you plan on leaving the bezel in situ, try sharpening the end of a cocktail stick and just repeatedly rubbing the paint. The friction will soften and lift the paint, and you shouldn't mark the bezel.

Yes, I removed the bezel from the watch. Soaking the bezel in water with washing-up liquid for a couple of hours softened the paint. I then used an ultrasonic cleaner. It worked a treat. Thank you.

I ahve a similar problem with a tag - what kind of ultrasonic cleaner are you referring to please?

Master

An ultrasonic cleaning tank. Loads of different ones available, from £10 to £1000+. Plenty on eBay.

Thanks for the tip :wink: :wink: .