closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Iphone or android

Iphone or android

im due an upgrade and wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on the better of he two.Dont want to get stuck with a crap phone again,My blackberry storm is doing my head in.
    Cheers

Master

Re: Iphone or android

I suspect you will get Android owners singing Android's praise and iPhone owners singing iPhone's praise with a bit of Steve Jobs is the spawn of the devil thrown in for good measure. For reason I can't fathom considering these phones should just be tools to do a job people do get very emotional about them!

FWIW I have an iPhone and like it a lot. I might get an Android phone next just for a change. Ultimately they both do similar jobs, but if you want something that just works maybe iPhone is the way to go, if you like fiddling/doing geeky things Android is probably better.

Best bet of course is to try them out yourself.

Craftsman

This months Stuff magazine puts the Iphone 4 at the top of its review, Followed by The Android Operated HTC Desire, I am personally an Android Fan and cannot fault the operating system and the extensive Aps in Google Market..

The HTC Desire has the latest Android 2.2 and apparently you can create your own WIFI hotspots which appeals to me as i do tend to use my phone a lot for tethering, which i am led to beieive isnt as easy on the iphone..

Master

Iphone all the way for me.

Reason? It just does it all so easily and effectively. And just look at it!

Get one! :D

thanks fellas im probably swinging towards the dark side(iphone)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by comdiver
    Good choice! Who cares about the extra cost when you can buy into a brand name? :wink:

I have an iPhone and my wife has an HTC Hero. For user experience the iPhone is better. Admittedly Android can do more (Flash, skype, multi-tasking, etc), but you have to ask yourself if the extra you get is worth giving up the ease with which the iPhone does everything it does.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

And become metrosexual into the bargain. Go for it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc
    Quote Originally Posted by comdiver
    Good choice! Who cares about the extra cost when you can buy into a brand name? :wink:
    Exactly.

Master

I suspect the better phone (technology, open-ness, wow factor) is probably the Android. I suspect the better system is the iphone (seamless integration, number of apps available, 'just working' all together).

I used to always follow the difficult path (and am still a Linux user, have valve amplifiers, bake my own bread and make my own yoghurt) - but when it came to a phone I didn't want to have to get a PhD first - so am happy to sell my soul to Steve. (and I ended up with a mac mini, macbook, ipad and several ipods). The 'system' just works.

I've used both and tried more:

i-Phone 3 (work had an evaluation model)
    Google Nexus One (my phone)
    i-phone 4 (one of my colleagues has one)
    HTC Desire (lots of my colleagues have these)
    Windows mobile (many - don't bother!)

I'm an IT geek (although now more management than geek) and so "may" be biased.

My Nexus One is always updated with the latest version of Android (automatically) and is very very good.

Screen wise it's far better than the i-Phone 3 and not quite as good as the i-Phone 4.

Memory is expandable (Micro SD card) BUT there is only 1Gb for apps - split 500Mb storage 500Mb running (some apps can now be stored on the memory card). This doesn't sound a lot BUT I've about 430 apps downloaded and still have 70Mb free storage and 200Mb or so free for running apps (Android is VERY good at managing memory for running apps). If you want LOTS of apps - the i-Phone is better, more memory, more apps available and the apps are "vetted" by Apple.

Ease of use - I've never had a problem. Plus there are many options to completely change the look and feel of your phone (by downloading a different user interface).

Compatibility - both work well with Exchange. i can happily read office files and accrobat files on mine.

Flash - Android has it, Apple doesn't - important for me, maybe not for you.

I would say that the choice is based on your personal preferences and needs. Have a play with both phones (HTC desire is probably as good an Android phone as there is out there or Desire GHD if you want a BIG screen) and make a list of what you must have and what would be nice.

Finally - look at the deals, contracts, handset only, etc. This could sway you one way or the other.

Personally - I'll be loyal to Android for some time. I like the idea of being able to change my phone in a couple of years to the latest/greatest (maybe from a different manufacturer) and have the same (or an updated) UI without being tied to someone (Apple). Your mileage may vary and I'll not be accused of being an Android "fanboy" because, as I've said, the i-Phone is better for some things.

Hope my ramblings have helped.

Cheers,

I went from an iPhone 3GS to an HTC Desire now running Android 2.2 and am delighted.

I am not the tech-iest person in the world but love the way my HTC is completely customisable, runs how I want it to and uses the apps and software that work best for me. The use of widgets is also superb.

The downsides for me (again coming from an iphone) are that it doesn't link smoothly to iTunes (not surprisingly) where all my music/podcasts etc are stored and the actual music player (and others I've downloaded) just aren't as good as the iphone.

Having said that my wife has since bought an iPhone 4 and that is also a fantastic bit of kit. The iphone is perfect for her as all she wants to do is plug it into iTunes every so often to update music, use Facebook, download the odd app and game and browse. With the iphone none of this requires any thought.

Horses for courses to be honest. I'm very happy with my Android phone at the mo, but may go for the next iteration of iPhone if I'm in the mood for a change.

I don't think you can lose as such by choosing either.

Journeyman

The iphone is a great phone and I would buy one if I didn't think that apple are secretly trying to take over the world :) .

I've got a HTC desire and it is brilliant. The main issue some people have with it is the relatively poor battery life (not sure what the iphone is like). The iphone is more user friendly and probably better looking though. Have a play with both and see which one you prefer.

Maybe you could buy an android phone, which are generally cheaper than an iphone, and then also get an ipad. Best of both worlds then.

p.s. don't get too caught up in the apple or android fanboy stuff, that claims that their product is the best and everything else is crap.

I have an iPhone at the moment as it was the best of the bunch last time I upgraded. However, next time around it may be that an Android based handset has the edge. Get what does the job best for you is my advice.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK
    The downsides for me (again coming from an iphone) are that it doesn't link smoothly to iTunes (not surprisingly) where all my music/podcasts etc are stored and the actual music player (and others I've downloaded) just aren't as good as the iphone.
    I use ITunes agent for transferring music onto my Wife's Desire and it works a treat. Once set up you just create a play list and sync as you would an ipod/phone.

Master

The iPhone 4 is the sexier device ( that's how they get you to buy them! ), but I think the latest update to Android ( 2.2 ) is now ahead of the game as an OS. Proper multitasking, Flash, WiFi hotspots etc. I have the HTC Desire and despite my dislike of touchscreen typing - I love it. You don't have to rely on a whole bunch of icons to get into apps - it has HTC Sense which is a 'layer' of widgets on top of the operating system which which to my mind makes it much more usable in the real world. ( I find 99% of apps fady - use them once then never again - I only regularly use about 2 or 3 apps that are non-standard on a regular basis, the standard HTC Sense apps are really excellent ).

My personal belief is that Android will pretty soon be the 'default' OS for phones and other mobile devices - on the basis that it is in constant development and is already technically superior to iOS. Apple would have to fundamentally change it's philosophy if it wants to keep up with Google in terms of functionality.

Incidently I got sent this today which made me larf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

N

Craftsman

Had iphone 3gs, got HTC Desire.
    NOW - Work internet is down - plugged HTC in - select tether - back online, no itunes no restrictions.
    If I had a fresh choice - HTC, although the iphone 4 "looks" fantastic :lol:
    Scouter

Craftsman

Just got a HTC Desire , it has taken me three weeks to get one that works ( battery drain whithin 3 hours ) but after all the messing about with Vodafone customer service my second Desire is totally amazing .
    I had two Blackberry phones before , they were good at email but not much else the HTC is in a different league , the only thing is can i live with a battery life of 14 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mffw
    Just got a HTC Desire , it has taken me three weeks to get one that works ( battery drain whithin 3 hours ) but after all the messing about with Vodafone customer service my second Desire is totally amazing .
    I had two Blackberry phones before , they were good at email but not much else the HTC is in a different league , the only thing is can i live with a battery life of 14 hours.
    Which version of Android are you using?

There are a number of "tips and tricks" to maximise battery life (I know they shouldn't be necessary - but iPhones suffer too!):

1). Make sure you are on Android 2.2, the battery life is better
    2). When on 2.2 DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER APP. Android is VERY good at stopping and "parking" apps and using a task killer actually reduces battery life.
    3). Fiddle with your display brightness settings. The display on mine uses around 50% - 60% of the total power. Before I turned it to auto brightness it used more like 75% and the battery life was worse.
    4). Keep Bluetooth switched off when not needed, don't worry as much about WiFi though, it uses very little power when not in use.
    5). Use a dark wallpaper (light = more battery used by the display)
    6) Use a static wallpaper (moving = well, you get it)

Here's a few more (not just power saving tips - and sadly that does say "fanboy" in the website url):

http://sefanboy.com/2010/09/19/htc-d...u-should-know/

Cheers,

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Quote Originally Posted by mffw
    Which version of Android are you using?

There are a number of "tips and tricks" to maximise battery life (I know they shouldn't be necessary - but iPhones suffer too!):

1). Make sure you are on Android 2.2, the battery life is better
    2). When on 2.2 DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER APP. Android is VERY good at stopping and "parking" apps and using a task killer actually reduces battery life.
    3). Fiddle with your display brightness settings. The display on mine uses around 50% - 60% of the total power. Before I turned it to auto brightness it used more like 75% and the battery life was worse.
    4). Keep Bluetooth switched off when not needed, don't worry as much about WiFi though, it uses very little power when not in use.
    5). Use a dark wallpaper (light = more battery used by the display)
    6) Use a static wallpaper (moving = well, you get it)

Here's a few more (not just power saving tips - and sadly that does say "fanboy" in the website url):

http://sefanboy.com/2010/09/19/htc-d...u-should-know/

Cheers,
    Thanks for the tips , it is running Android 2.2 .

Craftsman

I love my HTC desire for one reason - you can leave it on the table in the pub/office/Spearmint Rhino's and nobody gives it a second glance. Saying that the Mrs is on her second I phone and is staying with Apple.

iPhone all the way. About 3 months ago, I used to use a Nokia, a PC desktop and a netbook. I've now got a macbook, ipad and iphone and would never go back. The integration is superb. You get something that just 'works'. I used to mess about synching my electronic life to the desktop and netbook with cables or through google. Now, everything just happens seamlessly and instantly. My advice - ditch all the separate products and fully convert to mac for every computer device. It's expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

Had more phones than hot dinners, incl. blackberry's, the htc nexus, desire etc. and for me although Jobs has restricted it, the iphone still wins.

Craftsman

I concur absolutely with Christian, if you want a hassle free existence. If you like a challenge, by all means try something else.

At the end of the day we are lucky to have either OS based phone. "You make your choice and you pay your money." I could go on with other cliches' which include terrorists and freeedom fighters, but when you look at each phone, they really do the same thing - make our lives easier. The Android (HTC Desire) gives access to ALL that Google provides, be it Maps, Calendars (invaluable in my world!), Blogs, cloud storage etc., or Apple if your world revolves around media and the latest "Apps." Go to each store, hold the thing, get " a feel for it," get online, and pick the best deal for you. If you can't decide, give them both a test run, you'll have to pay for it(sign up to a new phone and literally "own it" for 4-5 days), I paid roughly £7 for just short a week with a 3GS (I think you only get 7 days to return a mobile) and went with a HTC dream instead, which was then dumped for a HTC Desire.

Nobody on this forum can tell you which is the best phone for you, the modern version of the Holy Grail ( Dramatic I Know) but only you can decide!!!!

Good luck, and when all said and done, it's a phone!

Journeyman

it may be just a phone, but you're likely to be stuck with it for a year to two years. that's a long time to dislike something that you use daily and frequently.

^
    Hence the West's high divorce rate. ;)

Thomas Reid

This term I'm taking someone from another college for tuition. I asked her around so that we could arrange things, but told her that the keypad lock at the bottom of the staircase was broken, so she should give me a call when she got here, and I would let her in. She said that she was phoneless at the moment. (Consequently, I made sure that the keypad lock was fixed before her appointment).

Since I didn't know her, I chatted with her for a few minutes before we sorted out the schedule. I said that I was suprised to find a student without a phone these days. She said she had one, but needed to top it up. It turns out that she seldom uses the phone for anything but texting. I asked her whether it was an iPhone. She said no. She thought the iPhones had all sorts of nifty wiz bang things (pretty close to those words too), but she had better things to do than spend her time playing with them. And, her MOTHER had one. (The killer blow I think.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Heh. As soon as mums get iPads Apple is doomed!

Iphone? Ipad? eyewash

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmarton
    Iphone? Ipad? eyewash
    iPhone, had a 3G now have a 4G and love it.

Sounds like your not to far away from me with a name like "Rodmarton", I may need to send the iPolice round to have a word ;)

Banned

I've came from a strong Windows Mobile background, went for the Nokia E71 and then the 3Gs last year, the Desire and then the iPhone 4 this year. The iPhone has the best user experience out of all of them (Even with 2.2 Froyo on the Desire, and trust me HTC are no better than Apple in terms of control, except for the fact you will get no upgrade after the device is 3-6 months old) IMHO, the Desire is great but when you try and click on a telephone number in someones email sig then things get messy.

Flash is a nice novelty, but does kill the battery (Much like playing games does on the iPhone). The screen on the new SLCD Desires is very good and almost as good as the iP4, and Android is very customisable, if not very intuitive (Try setting a divert, or even finding out that HTC have disabled backup in 2.2 and wont use Google's cloud version either! :evil: ). The Android app store also doesn't have the polish of the Apps Store on the iPhone.

The camera on the iP4 is the best I've used yet, the integration is stupidly simple (Little things like the phrase "tomorrow evening" in a text or email will create an appointment for tomorrow in the evening when clicked - you just amend the time). The downside is that you have to accept what Apple gives you, which is feature limited, but TBH the only thing I miss from WM/Android is the ability to see my calendar on the lock screen and have custom alerts for SMS.

So in short, if you want to tweak the phone the way you want it, go Android (But accept that if you go HTC then you will have to start to use customised updates after 3-6 months to get the latest O/S, and that you are supporting an organisation that hasn't cared about it's customers for many years and I'd recommend Samsung).

If you want a phone to be a phone last for ages and not shatter when sneezed at, go Nokia, the E71 series are great value for money.

If you want a simple experience, have a device that will be supported for at least a year (At least two if you go for the iP4) and have a platform that everyone is making apps for, then go for the iPhone. Camera and gaming are great on the iP4, but not so great on the 3Gs, and the costs are very high compared to the competition (Although buying SIM-only and a SIM-free tariff works out the same over 18-24 months and you can sell the phone next June).

In terms of costs though, if you look over an 18 month period, the Nokias are actually the cheapest as they tend to hold their value after 18 months as they have still had updates typically, and you'll still have got a good deal in terms of tariff. Next comes the iPhone, bought SIM-only with a SIM-free tariff purely because the residual of the iPhone is normally quite high and the device still gets updates for 2-3 years. Next comes the HTC Android devices as the device is normally superceded within 6 months which affects residuals, and is rarely supported beyond that.

Banned

if its for yourself get an iPhone. if its for the missus get an iRon. :D