timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Duck

Master
    Blog Entries

Fat Duck

Hi all,

Before posting this I searched the topic and couldn't find anything...although a few odd topics did appear on the search list ;-)

Has anyone been? I have a table booked (in 2 months time mind!) and if anyone has any tips let me know. Might as well get my money's worth as it will not be a cheap trip!! :blackeye:

Cheers,

Dev

Master

Re: Fat Duck

It's on my to do list so I'd love to hear thoughts/reviews too.

Blimey, how did you manage to get a table?!

We have been trying on and off for the last couple of years always calling the main number at 10:00 am and have failed to get through to reservations...........

No tips, but am sure you will have a memorable meal so enjoy............

Avoid the shellfish! :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/1 ... ing-sewage

Only joking, of course. Never been, but would like to sometime. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If you watch the IT Crowd on Channel4 last week, you'll know to try the edible radio and invisible dessert :blackeye:

I have a couple of friends who've been and they've both recommended the Tasting Menu for the fullon food-as-theatre experience. I'm also told the Blumenthal's Gastropub in Bray -sorry don't know the name- is just as good (esp Beef and Oyster Lasagne).

Have a great time and don't forget to report back.

Some friends of mine went a couple of years ago & enjoyed it. Was hideously expensive though. :shock:

I've not been (even though it's only 17 miles or so from where I live). heard good reports and have wanted to go since seeing some of HB's fab retro food programmes on the telly box.

However, £150 per head BEFORE drinks - it's a bit steep (especially if you look at the price of drinks). A meal for four with a couple of bottles of decent wine would buy a nice watch (or two)!

I also fancy L'Ortolan (not as well known but walking distance from our house) which has a Michelin star and is a little less pricey.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Master

I went with my wife last year, if you think that you will enjoy it then you almost certainly will!
    Here is a short review of the meal that I wrote;

OK, here is the Menu with my comments:

We had a glass of Champagne each on entering the restaurant, just a bog-standard Taittinger Brut Réserve NV Champagne.
    Green olives were served as an amuse bouche.
    The butter was a salted unpasteurised one, it had a crumbly texture when cold, the bread that they served was as good as I have ever tasted anywhere.

LIME GROVE

Nitro Poached Green Tea and Lime Mousse

The Nitro waiter dispensed a Vodka and Lime mousse onto a spoon before dipping it in liquid nitrogen (-196 degrees centigrade). This gave it the consistency of a meringue. It was then dusted with green tea powder and handed to us on the spoon. We were encouraged to put the whole thing in our mouth in one go, which in my case caused two jets of smoke to come out of my nose - much to Lesley's amusement. The waiter sprayed lime essence into the air before we ate these to enhance the experience. The combination of Alcohol, Lime and Green Tea made a wonderful pallet-cleanser as the mousse dissloved quickly in my mouth.

RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO

Pommery Grain Mustard Ice Cream

The gazpacho had a deep purple colour and a fantastic rich taste, the mustard ice cream cut through this perfectly, very nice!

JELLY OF QUAIL, CREAM OF CRAYFISH

Chicken Liver Parfait, Oak Moss and Truffle Toast
    (Homage to Alain Chapel)

This dish made a very theatrical entrance, we were presented with a 12" x 8" tray of oak moss, upon which were two small plastic containers (rather like those you would find an SD memory card in). In each container was a small piece of edible oak-flavoured film. We were told to put these on our tongues and wait for them to dissolve. The waiter explained that as truffle grow near oak tree roots, they contain similar chemicals to oak and the oak flavours enhance those of the truffles. He then added liquid nitrogen to the oak moss tray which caused a carpet of fog to cover the table (like a 1960s horror film) and infused the air with oak-moss aroma (which I couldn't detect, but it looked cool!). We were then served with a small pice of truffle toast and the parfait/jelly/cream dish. This was layered with a pea puree at the bottom. It was very rich (a little too rich for Lesley's taste - she struggled with the Quail jelly), but I loved it, the flavours all complemented each other beautifully.

ROAST FOIE GRAS
    Cherry Pureey, Braised Konbu and Crab Biscuit

Considerably more subtle than the last dish, both in presentation and flavours, it was more to Lesley's taste. I liked it a great deal (although the Crab biscuit, which looked wonderful, tasted of very little)

MOCK TURTLE SOUP (c.1850)

"Mad Hatter Tea"

Another "wow" dish. We were presented with a small book-marker which had extracts from Alice in Wonderland, specifically relating to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party where he fixes his watch by dipping it in tea and is then served with Mock Turtle soup. We then received a tea-cup with a gold watch in it. Upon adding hot water the watch (made from stock and edible gold leaf) dissolved to give a cup of gold-flecked broth. We were then brought a "Mock Turtle Egg" and instructed to pour the broth over the egg. The "Mock Turtle Egg" appeared to be made from some sort of jelly and had tiny mushrooms (Enoki?) growing out of it. There were also some small squares of a delicious meat (some sort of ham?) and vegetable cubes in the dish. Whatever it was made from, it looked and tasted amazing, although it could have been a bit hotter.

"SOUND OF THE SEA"

The waiter brought out two large conch shells, which had I-pods in them. We were instructed to stick on the ear-phones and listen to the seaside sounds as we ate the next dish. It was presented as a tray of sand with a glass platform above it. On this was edible sand (made from tapioca, baby eels and sea-weed), a splash of foam and 3 pieces of fish - Yellowfin Tuna, Mackeral and Hallibut (all raw - sashimi). Again this was absolutely delicious, I had never been able to persuade Lesley to try Sashimi before, but she loved it. The edible sand was crunchy, but not at all like sand (except to look at), there were small bits of seaweed (not sure what type) and samphire in it.

SALMON POACHED IN LIQUORICE
    White Truffle, Artichokes, Vanilla Mayonnaise, Golden Trout Roe and Manni Olive Oil

This was surprisingly subtle in flavours, not quite what I expected, the artichokes were absolutely delicious, though.

POWDERED ANJOU PIGEON (c.1720)
    Blood Pudding and Confit of Umbles

My favourite of the savoury dishes, the blood pudding was like a very rich sauce, "Umbles" are offal, so there were bits of pigeon heart and liver in this dish. There were tiny onions and turnips in the dish, too. Absolutely fabulous!

TAFFETY TART (c1660)

Caramelized Apple, Fennel, Rose and Candied Lemon

Another amazing dish, there were layers of crispy sweet pastry with blobs of sweet custard between them, but that doesn't come close to describing the explosion of flavours and textures that were going on here. This was served with a blackcurrant sorbet which had the most intense blackcurrant taste that I have ever experienced. Quite the best dessert that I have ever had.

THE NOT-SO-FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST

Parsnip Cereal
    Nitro-Scrambled Egg and Bacon Ice Cream

Hot & Iced Tea

The Parsnip Cereal came in a tiny box with the Fat Duck logo on it, it looked like cornflakes and was served with "Parsnip Milk", I'm not sure if that was regular milk infused with parsnip flavours or milk some how made from parsnips (like soya milk). However it was made, it was delicious, familiar, but different.

The Egg and bacon ice cream is one of Bluementhal's most famous dishes. It was served by the Nitro waiter, he produced a brass saucepan with a burner underneath it (the burner purely for show). He then produced what looked like a normal egg from a cardboard egg box and cracked it into the pan, after adding some liquid nitrogen he "cooked" the egg to produce something that looked like scrambled eggs. This was served on a small piece of french toast, which had sweet tomato jam on it, a rasher of candied crispy bacon was placed on top. The "Egg" that was cracked into the pan was filled with some type of custard which created an ice-cream when stirred with the liquid nitrogen. Again, the flavours were wonderful, the bacon rasher was very, very thin and crispy. It's saltiness was wonderful with the sweet, creamy ice cream.

It was served with the Hot and Iced Tea, we were instructed to drink this quickly (presumably so we didn't just end up with a cup of lukewarm tea). Somehow in one cup there were two layers of tea, hot on the top and cold at the bottom. The top layer was slightly gelatinous, but it was a bizarre experience. The tea was delicious, too, it tasted like a very good jasmine tea that had been sweetened with honey.

WHISK(E)Y WINE GUMS

Historic Trade Routes of Britain

These were presented stuck to a small, framed, glass map. Each wine gum was located over a particular distillery. The different flavours of each whisky were easily discerned, I liked the Glenlivet one best (but then I am a whisky wuss), the Laphroag one tasted of bleach and urine - just like the real thing. The Jack Daniels wine gum was a huge contrast to the Scottish whiskies, far less in the way of flavours going on, but it would have been nice with some coke. (the drink)

"LIKE A KID IN A SWEET SHOP"

This was presented in a red and white sweetie bag. Inside was;

1. A small white envelope with a red seal on it, the seal was red chocolate and inside the envelope was a small white chocolate playing card, printed as the queen of hearts, this was filled with a red fruit filling.
    2. A small foam chocolate (like aero) with an orange jelly filling.
    3. A plastic pouch filled with coconut tobacco (am I the only one who remembers the original coconut tobacco from the '70s?). this was flavoured with real tobacco (subtly - it wasn't like eating old cigarettes) - this was my favourite from the sweet selection.
    4. An apple pie flavoured toffe, in an edible wrapper, a lovely intense apple flavour and the wrapper justed melted in the mouth although it looked and felt exactly like cellaphane.

After Dinner;
    Tea was very much the order of the day, there was a small choice on coffee, but a massive list of exotic teas in the Menu. We both chose Oolong teas, I had an "Iron Arhat" and Lesley had a "Big Red Robe". The tea was served on a wooden slotted tray, There was a small glass teapot which already had the tea stewing in it, a glass jug of hot water and a small glass tea cup (double skinned). The jug of hot water was poured into the tea cup to warm it and the reaminder was poured over the small glass teapot (no idea why). The teapot was then inverted over the (now empty) glass jug so that the tea poured into the jug. We were told that the second brewing from the tea leaves would taste better, but I didn't really notice any difference. Damn good tea, though.

Wines;
    We opted to just have a few glasses with the meal as we had already had some drinks in the pub down the road (also owned by Mr Bluementhal) and I didn't want to end up bladdered by the end of the meal. For the first few courses (up to the Salmon), I had a couple of glasses of Gruner Veltliner, Oberfeld, Petra Unger 2006 , which was good, but nothing special. Lesley had a Châteauneuf du Pape, Domaine de Beaurenard 2007 , which she said was excellent.
    For the Pigeon, we both had a Perrot Minot Morey St Denis Vergy (2005), which was delicious. Finally with the desserts, we both had a wonderful Vin Santo, Sigalas, Santorini 2003.

Craftsman

Does anyone have any tips for booking, I know it has to be 2 months in advance at 10am.

I'm aiming for a mid-October table on a specific date. Really hope we get one.

I've been to the Hind's Head (his gastropub next door) twice now. It's superb food and no more expensive than a London gastropub. Obviously a very different type of meal though.

Thanks to Wild Rumpus for that - that's precisely why I would like to go. I think it needs treating like a night out at a show rather than a meal at a restaurant.

It's still expensive - but starts to look better when you hear about all of the effort that goes into presentation, etc.

Cheers,

Master

Call every Monday morning at 10am, keep pressing re-dial until you get through. My wife tried on 3 Mondays before she got through. Worth the effort, though.

Thanks for posting that, Wild Rumpus. Fascinating - as much a theatrical experience as a meal, by the sound of it.

Heston Blooming-Hell is a genius, no question. I heard on the radio about half an hour ago that The Fat Duck has again won some sort of "Restaurant of the Year" award.

Last year I ate at The Yew Tree near Newbury, owned by Marco Pierre White. A sublime dining experience. Not the same sort of menu as The Fat Duck, but well worth a visit.

Personally I fancy Le Manoir aux Quatre Saisons. Shall we arrange a GTG?

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

as much a theatrical experience as a meal, by the sound of it.
    Absolutely, I've never laughed so much at a meal, either. The emphasis is very much on fun and theatre (as well as taste).

Master

Just read that Heston is soon to be opening a restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Knightsbridge. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    Thanks for posting that, Wild Rumpus. Fascinating - as much a theatrical experience as a meal, by the sound of it.
    Indeed! Sounds like a fantastic spot of grub :D

From what I understand he no longer offers A la Carte at the Fat Duck, its just the sampler menu.

My mate went for his 40th and he is a chef and loved it but would have preferred the A la Carte over the sampler menu. Don't expect any change out of £400 - £500.

I have been to The Hinds Head which is his, and is absolutely superb. If you are going to stay the night then you must stay at Redroofs, quirky but fantastic and brilliant hosts ( http://www.redroofsatoldfield.co.uk/ )

Another thumbs up from me as well for The Yew Tree. Been a few times and stayed overnight, breakfasts are as good as dinner and the real ale they serve is brilliant

The wife and I went a few years ago, and had the a la carte menu. The food was very good but frankly not worth the price. We wished we'd had the taster menu.
    As an experience, as "theatre", definitely go for it. Just make sure you take out a mortgage first-you won't come back with change from £500.

Le Manoir Aux Qatre Saisons remains the best restaurant we've been to.

Master
    Blog Entries

Wowzers some fantastic responses and feedback. Yes I believe the £150 price tag before drinks will be painful but I rarely go to fancy restaurants so I hope for it to be an experience I will treasure. Luckily I had someone book on my behalf so I didn't go through all the pain of calling each day etc.

I will definitely leave feedback and a few pictures when I go. I have built it up I really do hope it happens and I don't have to cancel last minute as usually happens when I look forward to something.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Yep...The Hinds Head is pretty good...had a couple of mates eat at The Fat Duck and they really enjoyed it "as an experience" but both were still hungry afterwards and went for a burger! Haven't experienced it myself so i can't comment personally.
    As an aside,if you are in or around Bray for a couple of days there is a brilliant Italian there called Caldesi in Campagna. If it wasn't so close to Michellin starred restaurants it would probably get its own headlines...the food there is really good and very well priced.

The Fat Duck is a fantastic experience mainly due to the crazythings Heston does with his food The only menu now available at the FD is the taster, which is what you want to go for if you only plan to visit once.
    The last time I visited it was £190 a head plus wine, which was around £60 each on top, yo are given almost a different wine per course and there are around 8-10 courses, although they are little more than a mouthful each.

It is expensive, but the FD is one of only four 3 Michelin Star resturants in the UK, the others being the Waterside Inn, also in Bray, The Dorchester Hotel, and Ramsets resturant in Chelsea (not to be confused with Claridges which resently lost it's single star)

I personally prefer the Waterside Inn, which I would highly recommend, and even though it has held 3 stars for years and years while the FD is a relative new comer the waiting list is always reasonable, they also have a small motor boat which you can borrow to cruise up the Thames which is nice on a summers evening.

Disclaimer: All written on an I-phone so I can not be held accountable for bad English or grammer!!

If you are lookng for Michelin Star food without the Bray price tag try the 'Royal Oak' in Maidenhead, it is owned by Michael Parkinson and was only awarded a star this year, it has more of a country pub feel than a resturant but the food is good!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crash7

It is expensive, but the FD is one of only four 3 Michelin Star resturants in the UK, the others being the Waterside Inn, also in Bray, The Dorchester Hotel, and Ramsets resturant in Chelsea (not to be confused with Claridges which resently lost it's single star)
    I took the wife to Ramsey's Royal Hospital Road last Xmas. Fantastic exerience and unbelievable food. There are only around 12 tables. We had the tasting menu and asked the sommelier to match the wines, ended up having something like 12 courses and 10 drinks :shock: not much change from £500 though

Master

Do they do chicken nuggets?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy
    Do they do chicken nuggets?
    You want fries with that Sir?

On a serious note I always ask Female Macdonalds staff if they will make it large for 30p, 'Which Meal?' They enquire, 'Oh No Meal' I Reply, 'I just want you to make it large!'
    RIAC

We ate at Royal Hospital Road a few months back and are off to the Waterside Inn in a couple of weeks. Personally, while Gordon Ramsey's place was excellent, I actually preferred Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley... amazing food, great ambiance but just a little less fussy than Hospital Road. We were even invited into the kitchen after dinner to meet the chef, who remains the only person to have served a Brussel Sprout that I actually enjoyed!

Another awesome place, outside London is Le Gallois in Cardiff. The tasting menu there is (only!) £70 a head with wine, but it's pretty damn close to some of the bigger names..

budget arround £600+ inc drinks for 2.

the sound of the sea is fanstatic - have this.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

We went just after he earnt his third star and I think it was absolutely worth it. I honestly don't think there is a lot of profit being made by the Fat Duck itself as I think it's difficult to get the third star if you make too many compromises over food cost; clearly he is making a fortune with the TV-related stuff and other ventures.

The atmosphere was really rather relaxed which was perhaps a reflection of their just having arrived at their destination; without wanting to sound pretentious I've been to quite a few Michelin-starred restaurants and have generally found the one-starred ones to be the most up their own 4rse (Lea Linster in Luxembourg particularly springs to mind).

The first theme of Blumenthal's that I like are his focus on re-doing comfort food favourites from childhood, either with a twist or because the traditional version is just junk. The second is the way that he challenges pre-conceptions by turning things on their head.

I seem to remember that I quite liked the wine degustation that accompanied the menu. Quite a few unusual wines from producers that you don't see very much in the UK: particularly Austrian and German.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    The atmosphere was really rather relaxed which was perhaps a reflection of their just having arrived at their destination; without wanting to sound pretentious I've been to quite a few Michelin-starred restaurants and have generally found the one-starred ones to be the most up their own 4rse (Lea Linster in Luxembourg particularly springs to mind).
    I have been to a few starred places and I have found this, the Crown in Whitebrook, Monmouth was the only Michelin starred place in Wales for a few years (there are a couple more now), the food was good but the place just seemed to be trying too hard, I could keep a stright face when the waitress with a full blown North Walian accent for trying to speak with a French accent

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi All,

The booking is for 12:30 on Sunday. I can't wait! I am just getting nervous I'll misjudge the time to get there! Any how I will keep you posted what my thoughts are for what its worth :-)

Master

I've been thinking of trying the Fat Duck for my next significant birthday, but I can't decide between it and Le Manoir Au Quatre Saisons.
    At the moment I'm thinking probably Le Manoir as it looks a lovely place to stay overnight.
    For anyone venturing North, Northcote near Blackburn in Lancashire and run by Nigel Haworth and Craig Bancroft is excellent. Only one Michelin star, but wonderful service and superb food. Couldn't be less up their own arses either, and a three course lunch can be had for a remarkable £20! I've paid more to eat crap in Motorway Services.

Master

A friend of my wife went to the FD in the summer. Next thing is the wife is all for trying it too. I have to say that, whilst the idea of it all appeals and indeed quite a few of the items on the menu come from his TV programme which I liked, I'm not sure I could put out of my mind the amount of money it was costing. That might well ruin the experience for me. This so far has been a winning argument, that and the childcare logistics, so another few quid saved :)

Craftsman

If you have never been you must , short of going to El Bulli it is the best of its kind but after going three times i prefer a choice not the theatre menu.
    If you are ever up north Anthoney's in Leeds is a must ( the only British chef to be employed by El Bulli )

Craftsman

The Fat Duck is definately on the wishlist, was booked up for this time last year but more pressing financial demands came along... also had a couple of nights booked in the nearby Hand and Flowers hotel which is supposedly very nice, with its own Michelin starred resturant.

Finally going to enjoy a stay in the hotel next month, but the Fat Duck is still off the cards (kid on the way this time), wll give their resturant a go though.
    Regards,
    Chris

Another option: http://www.thehindsheadhotel.com/#welcome,introduction

Heston owns this as well, and the food is awesome!

Craftsman

Would love to go one day.

What makes Heston for me is that he managed to essentially make a science program, disguised as a cookery show. People watched it for the food, but were educated along the way. Anyone who manages to preach the marvel of science is a hero in my book

Grand Master

If you want a really unique experience then try this place

http://www.danslenoir.com/london/
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    I've been thinking of trying the Fat Duck for my next significant birthday, but I can't decide between it and Le Manoir Au Quatre Saisons.
    At the moment I'm thinking probably Le Manoir as it looks a lovely place to stay overnight.
    For anyone venturing North, Northcote near Blackburn in Lancashire and run by Nigel Haworth and Craig Bancroft is excellent. Only one Michelin star, but wonderful service and superb food. Couldn't be less up their own arses either, and a three course lunch can be had for a remarkable £20! I've paid more to eat crap in Motorway Services.
    Believe me, it is and the food is superb as well! The complimentary decanter of Madeira slides down well also! :D

Master

Only just noticed this post. I went the Sunday before this topic was posted. I struck lucky, I booked on the Thursday and got in that Sunday - and in the meantime picked up my Sub C (the first UK one on here IIRC) - which of course accompanied me and SWMBO.

It's taster menu only and £200 per head, plus drinks.

Is it worth it. If you like food and 'theatre', then yes. It's an experience for sure. The service is exceptional. There are around 75 covers and the staff - including back of house, washers, preparation (including the Chocolaterie) etc number the same - that's a 1:1 ratio. I think front of house I counted 17 staff serving. They are all very professional, and it's like watching bees in a hive - there must be some order to it, but it's hard to see - the thing runs like clockwork. The touches demonstrate Heston's OCD with the somellier's helpers wearing red ties, with red button holes/trim on their white shirts, and the servers lilac ties/trim/button hole stitching. Even the bottom button on their waistcoats is colour co-ordinated.

The menu is pretty similar to the one listed in an earlier post.

The staff know that you're there for an experience and that is what they deliver - just turn up and let the process take you on a journey. If you've seen all of Heston's 'Feast....' programmes much of the menu is similar.

Others have mentioned Le Manoir and The Dorchester (I assume they meant Alain Ducase @) and of course Mr Ramsey. These places offer you the finest dining, the Fat Duck offers you an experience of a lifetime - the food, the creativity and the staff, top notch.

Enjoy it!

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

I have heard mixed reviews on this place which put me off. How was your experience and when did you go? Later experiences seem to report a bit of disappointment. Les Manoirs is definitely up there...my mother never used to stop going on about it. One day I'll take her.

Master

So how was it?

As others have said, try the Hind's Head, well worth the money and you don't have sell one of your best timepieces to afford it!

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi all...its Sunday I got the dates wrong so I'll let you know. I keep telling myself 'its the experience like no other hence the cost!' Funny I say the same about my latest design on a watch :roll: .

Master
    Blog Entries

I came back yesterday. What did I think? Bray itself is very easy to get to from London which is nice as there's nothing worse than getting lost or being stuck in piles of traffic on a Sunday in nice weather :-). I did get the feeling I was a bit of a 'git' from the city coming to enjoy the food and remark 'how wonderful it would be to live around here' before leaving. That said the residents I'm sure have enjoyed some benefits to the number of fine dining restaurants in the area. The Waterside looks very nice too.

The service was faultless, the dining room as mentioned was the size of a well-sized living room and the place felt very unassuming whilst comfortable and pleasant which is no bad thing in my eyes. The maître d' was impeccable but some of the waiters who introduced the courses were a bit OTT. The wine we sampled was also enjoyable although I was driving so only had a glass. I loved the theatre and the themes of nostalgia were very fun. My highlight was the oaky truffle toast and the black forest gateaux. Some of the courses were genuinely fairly unpalatable and the textures a bit unsettling (he likes his jelly's and foam). That said I tried it all as I certainly didn't wish to be an ignoramus! The sweet bags were also cool, the look on contemporaries' faces when you consume a toffeed sweep complete with edible plastic wrapping is great for instance!

Would I recommend it? I enjoyed the experience and I didn't leave hungry which was nice. It is a nice way to spend a few hours as I find it disappointing when you pay such large sums of money only for it to last 90 minutes. The setting, service and in this case climate all helped elevate the enjoyment somewhat. I think though that it is very much an issue of preference and attitudes to food. A lot of people do not like food to be fussy or scientific. In this case it is obvious this will not be for them.

A few niggles I was surprised about; the olives on the table were unmarinated and markedly sub-par. Also I find it somewhat unacceptable that there is one cubicle per sex in the restaurant. Its not large but having three of four people waiting outside is not really something one would expect.

As per a number of other comments I do not think the money is outrageous. It is a lot for me to spend on any meal in my life. That said there were countless courses, masses of staff front and back of house and meticulous presentation apparatus that all cost money. That coupled with the turnaround time means I think this is where Heston builds his brand prestige to profit on the rest of his offshoots.

My next quest is to visit another more conventional 3 Michelin-starred restaurant and see what the difference is. However as I have told my partner. This will have to be in some time. :lol:

Master

So basically thumbs up for a one time experience - but it's unlikely to become a regular haunt (even if you had the cash)?

Master
    Blog Entries

Pretty much mate. That said I would find it hard to recommend as I wouldn't want to be responsible for friends getting pissed off at only half the food being to their tastes!

Master

My wife, who I posted earlier was quite keen to go, has considered the actual menu more and decided that there was quite a lot she didn't think she'd eat. So what you say in that regard makes sense.

Master

I actually liked all of the courses! My wife wasn't that keen on the Oak moss/Truffle one, but she liked everything else. Some friends of ours went to El Bulli last year, they said it was an enjoyable experience overall, but there were a few dishes that they really didn't like.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus
    I actually liked all of the courses! My wife wasn't that keen on the Oak moss/Truffle one, but she liked everything else. Some friends of ours went to El Bulli last year, they said it was an enjoyable experience overall, but there were a few dishes that they really didn't like.
    I really likes the Oak Moss course although the oaky tongue strip was a little odd. When the moss has steam pouring out I was very impressed! The mock turtle soup wasn't something I really enjoyed though.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ggill
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

I have heard mixed reviews on this place which put me off. How was your experience and when did you go? Later experiences seem to report a bit of disappointment. Les Manoirs is definitely up there...my mother never used to stop going on about it. One day I'll take her.
    A female colleague taken there by her boyfriend recently commented that if you want to keep a girl happy, that's not the way to do it.

If you've not tried it, Wild Honey in W1S is a good place. Unpretentious and very good food.

My next quest is to visit another more conventional 3 Michelin-starred restaurant and see what the difference is. However as I have told my partner. This will have to be in some time. :lol:
    Go back to Bray and visit the Waterside Inn, IMHO it is a better experience, bigger more comfortable dinning area, hoards of staff and a deck that leads to the Thames, which is perfect for a coffee at the end of the night.

Having been lucky enough to visit FD & Waterside - 3* and Hubiscus, Le Gavroche & Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons - 2* - I feel the whole experience at the Waterside is the best I have experienced.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crash7

Go back to Bray and visit the Waterside Inn, IMHO it is a better experience, bigger more comfortable dinning area, hoards of staff and a deck that leads to the Thames, which is perfect for a coffee at the end of the night.

Having been lucky enough to visit FD & Waterside - 3* and Hubiscus, Le Gavroche & Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons - 2* - I feel the whole experience at the Waterside is the best I have experienced.
    Cheers for that. Waterside here I come...in a few months :lol: