closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Forum Etiquette

I have noticed since I have been a member on this forum that it can be quite easy to cause offence to other members that I have not experienced on the other forums I have used. Take for instance the member selling the ceramic sub yesterday it caused a total uproar that would of not happened on some of the other forums I go on.

I was just curious what other members think about the politics on this forum. Thanks

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Forum Etiquette

I think its great, the reason other forums don't have the responses your post refers to is most are heavily moderated and therefore anything which may cause even the slightest bit of offence or goes against the mod's own point of view or critisises a sponser is removed, end of discussion.

Edit to add that I didn't see the ad for the Sub C but I am guessing it was put up over list to turn a profit.

Didn't notice the uproar you mention, but it's generally not acceptable to post negative comments on a sales thread, unless the seller is trying to turn a quick profit.

As for other points of etiquette:-

It's preferred by most if you leave the sales prices on sales thread even after the deal is closed as a future reference.
    The first unqualified "I'll take it PM" should generally secure a purchase.
    If you want to offer less than the asking price, do so by PM but severe "low balling" may be considered rude.
    Well you've sold a watch, do make sure it's clean before sending it off to the buyer.
    It's fine to have a pop at Bremont, but if you "defend them" you're a Fan Boy :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I think its great, the reason other forums don't have the responses your post refers to is most are heavily moderated and therefore anything which may cause even the slightest bit of offence or goes against the mod's own point of view or critisises a sponser is removed, end of discussion.
    Exactly.

This place can be harsh, but is also the most genuine (and probably safest) watch forum on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Exactly.

This place can be harsh, but is also the most genuine (and probably safest) watch forum on the planet.
    As a relative newbie, it is great to read a post like this, which gives advice to everyone - even those that "don't need it" - it creates more of a level playing field and if you're brave enough to try and sell / buy something you have confidence that the forum is so well self regulated, that you won't get shafted!

Banned

i think its cos we are a family of sorts over here and we look after each other's interests as we'd expect our own to be taken care of. this is what makes this such a wonderful place. so if it appears that someone is pulling a fast one or something untoward we'll speak up in no uncertain terms.

long may it continue!

Grand Master

General standards of manners/behaviour are good on here. However, there have been several cases of folks joining simply to try and sell something expensive. This is obvious by the 'speedposting' to reach the required 50 posts before being allowed to sell. In the case of the Ceramic Sub the seller had done this, then offered a new Rolex at an inflated price. Sales of new Rolexes are not allowed; together with the blatant attempt at profiteering this annoyed several forum members who proceeded to flame the guy. The lack of photos suggests that he idn`t even own the watch but probably had an option to buy one.

That's the way it is around here. There are few rules and an unwritten code of ethics. Maybe some folks went a bit far in their comments re. the Ceramic Sub but the guy was well out of order so it's hardly surprising.

Best forum around IMO.

Paul

The difference between this and other watch fora is that it is "genuine"

People can say what they feel (within reason) without being heavily censored or deleted.

Sometimes it can be a bit harsh but it's like real life.

I have been on the majority of watch fora about and take it from me this is the best.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    I have been on the majority of watch fora about and take it from me this is the best.
    What Neil said.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

"Etiquette..?"

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    i think its cos we are a family of sorts over here and we look after each other's interests as we'd expect our own to be taken care of. this is what makes this such a wonderful place. so if it appears that someone is pulling a fast one or something untoward we'll speak up in no uncertain terms.

long may it continue!
    Well said.

The outspoken views of forum members is key. :)

Master

This is the only place on tinternet I'd even consider a high value purchase or sale without being face to face, people here are straight watch enthusiasts and will speak up if it looks like a fellow member could be getting shafted. Long may it continue and you're all a bunch of barstewards who've cost me a fortune with your shiny temptations :lol:

This place is better than any other forum I´m a member of, for the simple reason that it is not overly moderated, except by the members themselves, and, if you come the Billy big bo**ocks, you are brought down a notch or four most ricky tick. Scammers and fraudsters are generally quickly identified and when you do have a problem help is almost immediately forthcoming, brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    The difference between this and other watch fora is that it is "genuine"

People can say what they feel (within reason) without being heavily censored or deleted.

Sometimes it can be a bit harsh but it's like real life.

Agree with Neil, most forums you feel like a guest even after being there for years here you feel like great friends hanging out at your local. Anyone can say anything they want but expect others to do the same.

Some interesting insights but they all seem to be on the side of the etiquette of this forum is there anybody out there with differing opinions to those mentioned. Lets hear from the other side of the coin, come on be brave???

Quote Originally Posted by coolwax
    is there anybody out there with differing opinions to those mentioned. Lets hear from the other side of the coin, come on be brave???
    Go on then, I'll take the bait! :wink:

Like the OP I'm a pretty new member (I'm not boasting about my looks here, perhaps I should have said "reasonably new member"), and therefore I can't speak, or indeed type, with any degree of authority. However, also like the OP, one of the early posts I viewed was in relation to a ceramic sub. That post generated pages of vitriol, which to the uninitiated did seem pretty over the top.

However, after viewing numerous posts since joining, I must say that in general the tenor of posts have been very positive. Members are very generous in terms of sharing their knowledge and opinions. I'm happy to be a member!

Thomas Reid

Generally folks here are polite. Not always. Such is life. That's my take.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Generally folks here are polite. Not always. Such is life. That's my take.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I agree with this. Also it's usually the same suspects who are rude and antagonising. Easily dealt with of course.....
    F.T.F.A.

There are a few items in SC that have been sold but you don't get to find out as the seller has posted at the end but not edited the first post and added 'SOLD' in the title.
    Just a tad annoying :? but as a newbie I'm not complaining :roll: