closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Argentina's Pres. and the Royal Navy.

Master

Argentina's Pres. and the Royal Navy.

It seems to be a running-theme:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ident.html

Enjoy the 'entertainment'

AP.

Ps It looks like she has a 'highly' selective view of history.

Master

Re: Argentina's Pres. and the Royal Navy.

Yep. She has the "Argentinian" view of this history... The view which goes back precisely far enough to justify their beliefs (1820) & no further.

See: http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/Pla ... oryid=ac51

Mike.

I think an Argentinian surrender and 250+ British dead means it's forever to be shaded pink on the map.

It's also 900 odd miles from Buenos Aires - not exactly an Argie Isle of Wight...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    I think Argentinian surrenders...
    Surrender to America in 1831.

Surrender to Britain in 1833.

& of course, 1982.

Comes at a time very convenient for those wishing to justify the acquisition of two new aircraft carriers :-)

Banned

Rather amusing TBH, I'd have more sympathy if it were on the side closest to the Argies. Anyway with regards to the carriers, The Register has a very good article on the subject.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Rather amusing TBH, I'd have more sympathy if it were on the side closest to the Argies. Anyway with regards to the carriers, The Register has a very good article on the subject.

When I read these types of articles (in this case by a (effectively) failed Navy officer) I always wonder how a country like Germany can be so successful and influential on the world stage without either carriers or nuclear weapons. What we really need is a sensible overhaul of our defence/foreign policies to reflect a new future, not hang on to post-colonial dreaming.

As for the Falklands - give them back (after all, we've given everything else back) - the war will be thirty years old soon, time to move on.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    As for the Falklands - give them back (after all, we've given everything else back) - the war will be thirty years old soon, time to move on.
    Err... There's OIL there... Which may be a more compelling reason for everyone moving back to their entrenched positions regarding The Falklands/Iles Malouines.

Mike.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    Err... There's OIL there... Which may be a more compelling reason for everyone moving back to their entrenched positions regarding The Falklands/Iles Malouines.

Mike.

Err, there's oil here too - the UK is being very greedy!

After all, it's Scotland's oil! :)

And going back to my original point - how does Germany manage without oil, either!

Master

Try telling the Falkland Islanders that they are now Argentinian and see what they think, to being governed from a city that is roughly the same distance London is to Sicily

Master

And going back to my original point - how does Germany manage without oil, either!
    Germany "manages" without oil because they make stuff. Regrettably, many people couldn't see past the superficial technical appeal of Volkswagens, Audis BMWs & Mercedes to the ultimate satisfaction of running(actually running) an Austin Allegro, Morris Marina, Rover 2600, or Jaguar XJ.

I heard that the reason Alex Salmond's retiring from politics soon is that he's to be appointed Governor of The Falkland Islands with special responsibility for telling Argentina; "IT'S OOR OY-YALL!!!"

Mike.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    Try telling the Falkland Islanders that they are now Argentinian and see what they think, to being governed from a city that is roughly the same distance London is to Sicily
    As opposed to being governed from a city that's the same distance London is to the Falklands!! :D

Master

Germany "manages" without oil because they make stuff. Regrettably, many people couldn't see past the superficial technical appeal of Volkswagens, Audis BMWs & Mercedes to the ultimate satisfaction of running(actually running) an Austin Allegro, Morris Marina, Rover 2600, or Jaguar XJ.

I heard that the reason Alex Salmond's retiring from politics soon is that he's to be appointed Governor of The Falkland Islands with special responsibility for telling Argentina; "IT'S OOR OYYALL!!!"

Mike.
    Strange isn't it, because our car industry now is actually quite thriving - just replace Leyland with Honda, Toyota and Nissan!
    Must be down to the management - the UK management! :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    As opposed to being governed from a city that's the same distance London is to the Falklands!! :D
    From which they wish to remain

Yep. She has the "Argentinian" view of this history... The view which goes back precisely far enough to justify their beliefs (1820) & no further.

Mike.
    I'm not sure that helps.

1690 - Britain visits and names the islands
    1764 - France establishes colony on East Island
    1765 - Britain establishes colony on West Island
    ? - France cedes colony on East Island to Spain
    1774 - Spain ousts British colony
    1820 - After independence from Spain Argentina takes control
    1833 - Britain invades and retakes islands

Doesn't that make our claim to the islands just as tenuous as Argentina's?
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

Mike.
    And, perhaps most importantly, the inhabitants (nearly all of them) are of British descent, and overwhelmingly wish to remain a British territory.

AP.

PS It's not the first British territory to want overwhelmingly to remain British ( for e.g. Hong Kong, according to a number of reliable polls not long before 1997 and consistently before, too).

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint

Mike.
    I'm not sure that helps.

1690 - Britain visits and names the islands
    1764 - France establishes colony on East Island
    1765 - Britain establishes colony on West Island
    ? - France cedes colony on East Island to Spain
    1774 - Spain ousts British colony
    1820 - After independence from Spain Argentina takes control
    1833 - Britain invades and retakes islands

Doesn't that make our claim to the islands just as tenuous as Argentina's?
    I don't think the word tenuous is in it. One could say that Poland was tenuous, just because of the actions of some countries, however her territory, as is the Falklands, is sacrosanct according to International Law and the underpinnings of the international system, namely sovereignty.

Nobody's mentioned Gibraltar?
    I haven’t forgiven Maradona for that hand ball yet…………so I say we keep the Islands.
    By the way she called our Navy 'pirates' she must be referring to the pirate’s moto 'take it all and give nothing back'! :mrgreen:

Master

I guess we could also mention the sandwich islands, but Argentina want's to take a bit out of them also :lol:

AP.

Master

Just a stray thought...

Looking at the pic:

[attachment=0:3lq8hgrt]DE-KERCHNER_1580770c.jpg[/attachment:3lq8hgrt]

Has she just been the subject of a surprise attack by [s:3lq8hgrt]The SAS[/s:3lq8hgrt] our STM?

And if so... Is she saying; "It was this wide!" or is she saying; "It was this long!"

Just wonderin'...

Mike.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

The ruby headed love dart has been photoshopped out. She is stroking the top and bottom of the shaft with the business end choking her gob
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    The ruby headed love dart has been photoshopped out. She is stroking the top and bottom of the shaft with the business end choking her gob
    :D

Back to the original topic - "the Falklands"

It's OURS...so feckoff or we'll give you another spanking.

I despair that "Great Britain" is being constantly eroded by soft ar**d do-gooders who want to give everything back.
    What's the point of fighting and winning bloody wars if we don't keep the proceeds..?

It's like a mugger taking your Rolex and returning it a month later with a fresh Bexley service.. :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie

When I read these types of articles (in this case by a (effectively) failed Navy officer)
    I clicked on it then immediately shut the page when I noted the author. A bigger twat would be hard to find and it really makes my blood boil that the media keep on peddling out the same garbage from the same discredited sources.

Master

My God I wish I hadn't of read on, that Lewis Page despite being an ex-RN officer really does know feck all about the RN.

Hmm... Just remembered Eddie Izzard's 'But do you have a flag?' sketch... But no, that's just fiction, is it not?