TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont - an honest question

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bremont - an honest question

I have had the following S/C running for a few days now:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140157

Whilst there has been in excess of 1,100 views, the ad has prompted only two offers to date.

Question - what is wrong? The fact that this is a Bremont? Poor pictures? Austere economic times? Whatever?

As ever, views of the forum would be appreciated.

S

Re: Bremont - an honest question

POPCORN. Only 65 pence!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

For me this is simply a sign of the times/confidence - nothing wrong with the watch at all. The more expensive stuff is shifting but it is very model/brand specific.

I suspect the sales at this price point will be grail/long time wants/uber bargains - which is no reflection on your sale or the watch.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    POPCORN. Only 65 pence!
    I'd better get a couple.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I have had the following S/C running for a few days now:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140157

Whilst there has been in excess of 1,100 views, the ad has prompted only two offers to date.

Question - what is wrong? The fact that this is a Bremont? Poor pictures? Austere economic times? Whatever?

As ever, views of the forum would be appreciated.

S
    Look, I'm not a fan but however, I did notice that it's hung around and so I can only assume it's a sign of the times. There are plenty of fans and like most pieces, it's all about timing sometimes.

Good luck.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    POPCORN. Only 65 pence!
    Constructive comment - not really. Thanks anyway mya!

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Its not the watch...its a sign of the times. Watches at both end of the price ladder are sticking around whereas not so long ago they would have shifted reasonably quickly.
    You will either have to (a) keep it (b) sit it out until someone comes along who will pay what you want or (c) drop it to such a ridiculous price that someone will just have to buy it :D

i like it. but times are hard and people arent pulling the trigger unless grails or nice bargain pieces. my two pence its a lovely bit of kit. balls to the special bus haters!

I sometimes think our SC has its own little micro economic climate where some things don't shift even at good prices, I think trying other market avenues may help. For instance you see many watches on ebay selling for a lot more than on here :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

There's nothing wrong with the watch or the pics, I think that when it come to just about any brand, people make their own mind up about the 2nd user value of a watch, Pam and sports Rolex are much safer options.

The newer brands such as Bremont & Bell & Ross for example, the jury is still very much out on the subject of used prices, and will factor in a large hit from the new rrp price. It's very much like spending £20K a Renault and £20K on a Audi, people know that when you want to sell it, you will retain a lot more of your outlay with the Audi, it's the same with watches, as I've found out to my cost

Heres my opinion...

If it was a Rolex it would go like the wind.. why because its a Brand that you can buy enjoy and flip without too much worry about not finding another buyer - nor about losing much if any money in the deal.

Bremont is the new kid.. whom does not have the history nor yet the brand to make it a must buy. Its a lovely watch.. thats my favourite btw. Unless I was a buyer for keeps its too high up in the price range to have it compete with other watches which I would know would be a safer buy.

In the 3k bracket I woudl be looking at JLC/rolex or some other higher end brands which depreciate even more heavily.

Bremont have positioned themselves in top flight company and regardless how good the watches it limits the audience imho in the same way that high end expensive Breitlings also seem to hang around (where the 1-2k bracket seem to fly off the SC)

Find the right buyer and it would go that I am sure - but its just the waiting for them to appear. (another good example would be the JLC Master Chrono - a fantastic watch - I have one of those but the ad has been on and off the SC for months.. so clearly the right buyers are not around (or the set of buyers who are looking to spend 3k+ is too small or already have watches like that)

Sorry I seem to be rambling.. so I will end here :)

Bremont - an honest question

Not so much the watch as such, I think there are a fair few people awaiting Wednesday's spending review to see if they'll still have a job by Christmas. I suppose that with similarly priced Rolexes forum members can be confident they can get the money back if they had to sell in an emergency whereas with Bremont there's maybe more risk of losing money at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    There's nothing wrong with the watch or the pics, I think that when it come to just about any brand, people make their own mind up about the 2nd user value of a watch, Pam and sports Rolex are much safer options.

The newer brands such as Bremont & Bell & Ross for example, the jury is still very much out on the subject of used prices, and will factor in a large hit from the new rrp price. It's very much like spending £20K a Renault and £20K on a Audi, people know that when you want to sell it, you will retain a lot more of your outlay with the Audi, it's the same with watches, as I've found out to my cost
    Pretty much sums it up Paul :wink:

it is a nice piece, at a reasonable price but not a major bargain. i guess that those in the market for such a piece are in the minority and all the recent negativity of the forum re bremont wont help the sale. Maybe opening up to wider trades may help?
    good luck with sale

That's a 25% discount from list... the vast majority of second hand watches do not command that kind of price. Plus one sold for £1900 last year.

Same reason why the £3300/£3500 IWC Ingy 3227's are still there... because last year they were being sold at £2300-£2500.

Many constructive comments above (in addition to my own, which wasn't). However...

I watch the infamous Bremont threads with a degree of bemusement. There's no question that they polarise opinion, and the problem (as a seller) is that many of those that aren't in the "fanboy" category believe Bremont prices to be artificially high; by which I mean they are the consequence of a very active PR machine as opposed to a history and tradition of producing superlative timepieces. That means your potential buyer will be a Bremont lover who needs/wants this particular model; one of the [s:1oo1x6w4]unwashed[/s:1oo1x6w4] undecided who's made a conscious decision to experience the brand first-hand; or an impulse buyer with a wad of cash burning a hole. However, there will also be a large swathe of members who will not form part of your potential market.

Personally, I'm no fanboy but I like this particular watch... just not enough to want to buy it. That said, I'd stick with it because you never know when you'll get that PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg
    That's a 25% discount from list... the vast majority of second hand watches do not command that kind of price. Plus one sold for £1900 last year.

Same reason why the £3300/£3500 IWC Ingy 3227's are still there... because last year they were being sold at £2300-£2500.
    Tempting fate........and cannot be a**ed to find it.........show me that sale at £1,900?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Guys, I am appreciative of the (largely) constructive comments which lead me to conclude that this is mostly an issue of timing. The watch is great - I have enjoyed it much more than many of my more recent exotic acquisitions - however, now is not the right time to move it on. I am in no hurry - I would have liked a new watch now to inject some interest before the 99.1 arrives, but that is not vital. Guess I'll just draw stumps for now.

Thanks again,

S

Tempting fate........and cannot be a**ed to find it.........show me that sale at £1,900?
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...it=bremont+alt

And one with the same dial configuration that went for £2235
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...t+alt#p1005534

re: 1900 i recall it was a green alt1-c. a bit more dinged but still good.

going rate for used alts seem to be about 2400-2500 which is what ive seen on the likes of watches.co.uk and watchfinder. that would be a big hit given your mintness and - whilst its not a ltd edition looks to be a fairly low setial number with the silver decorated movement ( starts to dribble ).

despite what you think, its a hard hit to sell something like that for slightly less than you migjt get from a sale ( a couple of bremonts with 700 off in selfridges in summer ) so either keep it and love it or take a hit !

needless to say if i had the cash i would be there ... and trade wise i only have Bremont and I wont part with those.... Best of luck! :)

We've all been there... I tried to sell a solid WG Girard Perregaux 1966 for £2,800, retail price now £10,000+, but nobody wanted it because it had two small dings and no boxes, and only a warranty from WoS. Timing also plays a huge part. Just as well, I'd never part with it at that price or even quite a lot more, only needed the cash at that moment.

We've all been there... I tried to sell a solid WG Girard Perregaux 1966 for £2,800, retail price now £10,000+, but nobody wanted it because it had two small dings and no boxes, and only a warranty from WoS. Timing also plays a huge part. Just as well, I'd never part with it at that price or even quite a lot more, only needed the cash at that moment.
    :shock: :shock:

Clearly missed that one!

Banned
    Blog Entries

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...it=bremont+alt

And one with the same dial configuration that went for £2235
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...t+alt#p1005534
    LIke-for-like please. Mine is the most desirable "panda" config, absolutely mint, and with 3 years warranty,

Thanks anyway.

S

LIke-for-like please. Mine is the most desirable "panda" config, absolutely mint, and with 3 years warranty,

Thanks anyway.

S
    *shrug* It's rare to find an exact comp, especially for a thinly traded watch. I'm not suggesting you drop your price to £2235 to sell, I'm saying it depends how much people value a few months remaining warranty vs the nearly the full, and the difference between near mint and mint, that may explain why yours hasn't already shifted. You asked for thoughts, that's my best guess.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks anyway.

S
    *shrug* It's rare to find an exact comp, especially for a thinly traded watch. I'm not suggesting you drop your price to £2235 to sell, I'm saying it depends how much people value a few months remaining warranty vs the nearly the full, and the difference between near mint and mint, that may explain why yours hasn't already shifted. You asked for thoughts, that's my best guess.
    Fair comment.

Didn't a member over at ATG only pay £800 for an ALT1-Z, admittedly the C is far prettier, but it shows they are a keeper's watch rather than a flipper's...

Banned

The one that sold for £1900 was battered though IIRC, which wasn't stated when sold. TBH, sell it for the price you'd be happy with, it's not old and looks in great nick. It's the middle of the month and not the usual in-vogue brand, the Anonimos are sticking as well. Sometimes, unless it's really cheap or a brand that meets with the approval of the masses it won't sell as people will feel that they can't liquidise the cash when another watch comes along.

I had the same issue selling my Ebel. It's not a brand that is as well known as Rolex or Panerai but still cost £4250 new, more than the Bremont, and was immaculate. But I had it on SC for £1800 at one point with only some lowball offers.

There's not a huge amount of pre-owned Bremont come up and that's why people are holding off, because they don't know whether your asking price reflects a good price.

Ultimately it all comes down to how much you want to sell it and what you are prepared to let it go for.

I love your watch, that with the Supermarine are two I would get without question.

Master

Hi Simon,

I was with you on the eve of your visit to the Bremont AD and you were very excited about buying the 'Panda'. I haven't entered into any of the Bremont debates as I have not seen one in the flesh and so do not not fee lit right for me to comment on the quality etc,etc... of the brand.
    Of the watches I've seen pictured on the forum I will admit to being very intrigued by the design and really should make the effort to view one in the flesh but as of this time I feel to spend around £3K on a punt is while a risk,a fairly low one when considering a Rolex/JLC or equivilent because like it or not they hold their price because people know probably first hand of its quality.But with a reletivility new brand as with Bremont the quality is still in the questionable period and I feel that with their high-ish retail price they are hoping to leap frog other more recognised brands without doing the groundwork as to say thus leaving new owners with a 'big hit' dilema that would upset the hardiest of WIS's.
    Recently there was a MB1.5 Ltd to 20 pieces up on the SC and the price was droping on a daily basis,now if it were a Rolex,Pam Ltd 20 edition we would have melt down several,'why did I take a dump :roll: ' posts and the buyer would be replying for hours to 'I'll take it' Pm's. I think if Bremont had started certain ranges around the £2K mark and got the watches out there in the market then in a few years many more hands would have felt them and the retail price could have risen slowly but surely and the 'used' market may have enjoyed a more bouyant and prolonging life,it'll be interesting to see what we'll all be saying in 3/4 years time about Bremont to me they've peaked to quickly to early in very volitile market times.So I'd say stick with it and before you know it march will be here and that gorgeous Dornbluth will be on your wrist 8)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aliasrichmond
    Didn't a member over at ATG only pay £800 for an ALT1-Z, admittedly the C is far prettier, but it shows they are a keeper's watch rather than a flipper's...
    And that was steal of the century, he bought blind and got very lucky.

I'll state the obvious here, forget about market conditions, brand image, the watch and it's condition, in fact forget about just about everything .... except for one thing.

You can sell anything you want if the price is right.

You just need to work out how quick you want to sell it given in the current market conditions, and for the watch and condition it's in etc .... so if it isn't selling I'm afraid to say it's probably due the the price being too high :?

(Edit : BTW I've no axe to grind against Bremont - it's a lovely looking watch you've got there Mr Skyman and if the price was closer to what I'd be prepared to pay I'd have it)

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    I had the same issue selling my Ebel. It's not a brand that is as well known as Rolex or Panerai but still cost £4250 new, more than the Bremont, and was immaculate. But I had it on SC for £1800 at one point with only some lowball offers.

There's not a huge amount of pre-owned Bremont come up and that's why people are holding off, because they don't know whether your asking price reflects a good price.

Ultimately it all comes down to how much you want to sell it and what you are prepared to let it go for.

I love your watch, that with the Supermarine are two I would get without question.
    Ebels are a bit different as they can be picked up new with a big discount. Offered a brand new Discovery chronograph for $1700 that lists at about $4500 this summer they would also throw in an additional link to make the bracelet fit as well.

Craftsman

I really like your watch (as I do the MB1.5 that's listed) but, as a few others have said, the Bremont prices are a bit high for me personally. Over the last few months I have bought/sold/traded a number of pre-owned watches all around the 3k mark and all of them were traded at approx 50-60% of the new list price. They have included JLC, Breguet, IWC and if I was looking to spend that sort of money again it would be those type of brands that I would look for before a Bremont. I tend to be a patient type and although I would like a Bremont now I'm happy to wait until the used prices come down to somewhere I feel happier with. The only other option would be for me to make what I thought was a fair offer only to risk being acused of being a 'low-baller'! :?

Master

There's a lot of good sense in the posts above.

That said, if it were mine and I wanted to sell it, I'd part-ex it for a more established brand and then sell that.

Mine is the most desirable "panda" config, absolutely mint, and with 3 years warranty,

S
    I think most bases have been covered here, but many might disagree with the above (and I think this too may have a bearing on your listing).

Like many forums, this one has a strong leaning towards the "functionality" aesthetic, and it is arguable that the anthracite model, or the silver, have a little more of that look by comparison with your own cream/espresso panda dial.

I do not necessarily agree with this (well, actually I do, I prefer the Alt1-P), but it is another possible explanation.

As you will have read, Bremont does not fall under the category of "universally adored" here, so a combination of Bremont, choice of model, price, economic climate, lack of established used prices all in some way trim the size of your target audience here.

I pass no other comment on any of these factors, that's just the way I would rationalise why it is still here.

It is a difficult thing, sometimes, and the only control you have over it is the value you place on it. Everything else is already done.

So I genuinely wish you good luck with it.

If you do not think it is worth dropping the price to attract other potential buyers, don't. Keep it.

Dave

I also think you should expect to lose the AD's % (40-50%) pretty quickly with most brands...unless its a LE or there a long waiting list...

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    Mine is the most desirable "panda" config, absolutely mint, and with 3 years warranty,

S
    I think most bases have been covered here, but many might disagree with the above (and I think this too may have a bearing on your listing).

Like many forums, this one has a strong leaning towards the "functionality" aesthetic, and it is arguable that the anthracite model, or the silver, have a little more of that look by comparison with your own cream/espresso panda dial.

I do not necessarily agree with this (well, actually I do, I prefer the Alt1-P), but it is another possible explanation.

As you will have read, Bremont does not fall under the category of "universally adored" here, so a combination of Bremont, choice of model, price, economic climate, lack of established used prices all in some way trim the size of your target audience here.

I pass no other comment on any of these factors, that's just the way I would rationalise why it is still here.

It is a difficult thing, sometimes, and the only control you have over it is the value you place on it. Everything else is already done.

So I genuinely wish you good luck with it.

If you do not think it is worth dropping the price to attract other potential buyers, don't. Keep it.

Dave
    Are there any that are 'universally adored/accepted' ?

Ebels are a bit different as they can be picked up new with a big discount. Offered a brand new Discovery chronograph for $1700 that lists at about $4500 this summer they would also throw in an additional link to make the bracelet fit as well.[/quote]

Can you let me know about this, as I would like one of these at this price point

Banned

Think people are being polite, talking about the economy and such like.

It's the slagging they get on here, plain and simple.

I knew that before getting my MBII and as I chose the anthracite variant also knew it would be harder to pass on than if popular orange.

Traded my Sea Dweller for a Pam this weekend. Both parties involved probably agreed the Pam is worth more today (so I did well on the day), but that will fall and the Dweller will rise (so I will lose out long term).

But and this is the important bit, I buy what I want, when I want it (or trade as has been the case of late), but respect some pieces are difficult to shift in a 'hurry'. Today I love my Pam.

Keep it Sky and revisit nearer the time the DB is ready. Let's face it, we will probably have a new Prime Minister before you have the watch, so no rush :lol:

Oh, one more point. If I ordered a DB, I would have my initials engraved on it, as I see no point having a custom made watch without that personalisation. But (again), this would make it nigh on unsaleable (or at a reduced price) and I would know that, so b**locks to the investment and enjoy your hobby.

Craftsman

Seems a decent advert. Lovely piece. I'm sure that I, like many others, just don't have the folding despite having the desire. GLWTS :D

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

I knew that before getting my MBII and as I chose the anthracite variant also knew it would be harder to pass on than if popular orange.

Traded my Sea Dweller for a Pam this weekend. Both parties involved probably agreed the Pam is worth more today (so I did well on the day), but that will fall and the Dweller will rise (so I will lose out long term).

But and this is the important bit, I buy what I want, when I want it (or trade as has been the case of late), but respect some pieces are difficult to shift in a 'hurry'. Today I love my Pam.

Keep it Sky and revisit nearer the time the DB is ready. Let's face it, we will probably have a new Prime Minister before you have the watch, so no rush :lol:

Oh, one more point. If I ordered a DB, I would have my initials engraved on it, as I see no point having a custom made watch without that personalisation. But (again), this would make it nigh on unsaleable (or at a reduced price) and I would know that, so b**locks to the investment and enjoy your hobby.
    Steve - FWIW, PAM's have been slagged here big time - particularly by the person you traded with :wink:

Chill, and breathe...................

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    I'll state the obvious here, forget about market conditions, brand image, the watch and it's condition, in fact forget about just about everything .... except for one thing.

You can sell anything you want if the price is right.
    +1 to your whole post (even the bit I clipped)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Steve - FWIW, PAM's have been slagged here big time - particularly by the person you traded with :wink:

I know mate and Seiko (I want a GS GMT :shock: ), but I still think Bremont have come in for some stick on here and it has led to some of the responses in SC IMHO.

I sit on the fence with the brand, but like my one. Just an opinion Chris, but call my Pam again and I'll be down the M62 fella :lol:

Well said Mr Burnsey - it's all about price and if you make it low enough somebody will bite eventually.

And yes, enjoy the hobby and at times you do need to forget about the residuals - which is why my DB has been ordered with my intials on it for exactly the reason you state :D

I know mate and Seiko (I want a GS GMT :shock: ), but I still think Bremont have come in for some stick on here and it has led to some of the responses in SC IMHO.

I sit on the fence with the brand, but like my one. Just an opinion Chris, but call my Pam again and I'll be down the M62 fella :lol:
    No need buddy - love the PAM's and always have, the irony for me is those who call them, and then buy them/ trade........

Banned

No need buddy - love the PAM's and always have, the irony for me is those who call them, and then buy them/ trade........
    Fair point pal. I'm not in the camp of calling anything really, mainly as I don't have the knowledge or history to be really honest.

On the other side of the coin, I don't see the fanboy bit either (with any brand but mainly Bremont and Seiko recently).

I respect certain comments like 'it's not my thing, but congrats anyway', rather than some which can spoil someone's acquisition.

I often wonder though, would I have bought the MBII after the recent threads? Suppose deep down it's all part of wanting the choice to be popular amongst your peers. Sad but possibly true?

Fair point pal. I'm not in the camp of calling anything really, mainly as I don't have the knowledge or history to be really honest.

On the other side of the coin, I don't see the fanboy bit either (with any brand but mainly Bremont and Seiko recently).

I respect certain comments like 'it's not my thing, but congrats anyway', rather than some which can spoil someone's acquisition.

I often wonder though, would I have bought the MBII after the recent threads? Suppose deep down it's all part of wanting the choice to be popular. Sad but possibly true?
    Nobody wants to wear a turd :wink:

Banned

Nobody wants to wear a turd :wink:
    Only because they slide off a Nato :lol:

Banned

I often wonder though, would I have bought the MBII after the recent threads? Suppose deep down it's all part of wanting the choice to be popular amongst your peers. Sad but possibly true?
    +1 to the first comment, and the second but the second has more to do with the meritocracy that comes with any internet forum. The old school tend to be feted by the newbies and the commitment and consistency sub-conscious triggers are fully in play.

I admire the fact that you posted this , and as you asked an "honest" question, I will respond with an honest answer, an answer that speaks only for me and does presume to represent the sentiment of others.

I have followed the Bremont threads with interest, and contrary to what has been suggested here, they have stimulated my interest (no smoke without fire?) in the brand rather than dampened it. But the fact is, Bremont is a young, albeit very ambitious, company in a highly competitive, over populated market, and not only is the market itself a challenge but the world economy is extremely fragile and supremely difficult to predict for most companies and also individuals.

For me, this inevitably leads to a question over longevity and sustainability for young, small , independent companies at this time, and Bremont falls into this category in my perspective despite their obvious emphasis on design and quality. This is stopping me taking the plunge at the high MSRP's (Villemont ring any bells? - pardon the pun), and as far as the used market is concerned they will only tempt me with a more realistic 40-50% saving over new, similar to what we see for many of the mid range established brands offered on SC. Used prices at c.25% off list, which is only a little better than I would be expecting from the AD's after Christmas, is just not enough to get the cheque book out to satisfy a curiosity (as opposed to a real desire).

Cheers