closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: World gone mad? No. 1 in a long running series

World gone mad? No. 1 in a long running series

Because a few numpties have fallen over on cobbled pavements in the medieval town of Dunster the local council want to resurface them, presumably with a nice bit of tarmac instead :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11569523

Words fail me I have to say, the whole story is litigation gone mad, someone just take ownership and repair the cobbles FFS!

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: World gone mad? No. 1 in a long running series

Indeed, heritage and history going down the pan courtesy of the H&S brigade and the litigation culture!

I used to live in Woodstock near Oxford, and there was a lovely cobbled area on one side of the town hall, with probably a similar number of centuries under it's belt as in Dunster, where around 10 cars could park. Council decided that the cobbles should be removed because a couple of old biddies had fallen over on them, so they paved the area at an enormous cost, put posts around it so nobody could park there any more, and it's now a flat and boring expanse that's useless for anything!

I wonder how many people trip over kerbs, bang into lampposts, fall over pavement furniture, etc?

Very sad :roll:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

maybe they should consider turning this into a feature. they could have a 'run the oldie' race once a year, a bit like running the bulls in pamplona . could be good for tourism and put dunster on the map, as well as keeping the numbers down of the pension grabbers.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Bloody lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    Bloody lawyers.
    :lol:

Its a nonsense. We have descended into a litigation society, with ambulance-chasing lawyers offering "no win, no fee" services which has resulted in an epidemic of Health and Safety legislation under which everybody tries to cover their own backside to try to avoid being sued.

And our proud heritage, which is one of the very few things that this country still has going for it, is being buried under legislation and regulations designed to prevent the stupid and the gormless from self-harm.

Repeal of the legislation which allowed lawyers to advertise their "services" would be a good start.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I must have received 2 calls a week over the last month asking if I've received my compensation for Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) yet.

"Didn't you know that the government has legislated that these charges are illegal?"

"Didn't you know that I haven't had a credit agreement since 1989?"

"Don't you have a mortgage?"

"Not since 1989"

"Do you have a credit card?"

"No, only debit cards"

"Oh"

"Can you take me off your call list please?"

The last bit doesn't appear to work :evil:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Slightly off topic, but nuisance calls can be avoided by registering with the Telephone preference service.

Takes about a month to work through, but the number of calls reduce massively after that.

See http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/faqs/priva ... ublic.aspx

And I agree about the cobbles!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs
    Slightly off topic, but nuisance calls can be avoided by registering with the Telephone preference service.

Takes about a month to work through, but the number of calls reduce massively after that.

See http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/faqs/priva ... ublic.aspx

And I agree about the cobbles!

M
    I've been registered with the TPS for years and regularly check that my registration is extant. It appears not to accommodate mobiles though. It's a problem I can't avoid with all my contact details published on the Net for the last 16 years.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Question :

Can you be prosecuted for swearing at telesales staff. ( in this day and age)

Not proud of myself but just told an aggressive Yell/Yellow Pages salesman to F*** **. Had dealings with Yell/YP before, a dispute arose over the final bill as they'd printed incorrect details despite being brought to their attention. I'd also asked, never to be called again, to be put on my records.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    Question :
    Can you be prosecuted for swearing at telesales staff. ( in this day and age)
    Who cares..?

I'm quite happy to offer a polite and friendly "Feckoff" to any and all muppets who phone me... :D

after all I'm saving them money on their phone bill by not explaining for ages why I'm not interested in whatever they're selling.....and I'm sure call charges from India etc are not cheap your honour... :wink:

I have to say that I am on the list to not be called and I still get a lot. My response depends on my mood. I have tried the classic "No, sorry, I'm a bit busy right now, but why don't you give me your number and what time you finish work and I'll call you back at home. What, you don't like receiving calls from strangers at home...?". I usually let them rabbit on without any response from me to see how long it goes (sometimes I put the 'phone down), and see if a monosyllabic grunt can get them to go on. I figure that the call is costing them so I'm doing my small part to discourage them from existing. If I am in a foul mood and they speak little-to-no English, or ignore my protests that I don't have a mobile telephone / computer / mortgage, then they tend to get sworn at pretty quickly. And a request to speak to their supervisor. Then they usually hang up!

Blog Entries

I only have to hear 'Congratulations, you have been selected' in a Yankee drawl and I terminate the call! :twisted:

Hard to see how these buggers make significant money, are there that many dumbasses out there who listen to their banal drivel? :roll: