closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Chrono For?

Grand Master

What do you use your Chrono For?

Genuine question not a wind up or dig, I am really curious as to what people with chrono watches use them for?

I have a chrono and with the exception of timing eggs thats about it, it is not practical to run or cycle with it, I have far better tools to time that. I just dont know why I have a chrono!!
    RIAC

Re: What do you use your Chrono For?

That's one of the reasons I have accepted I do not get chrono's :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries

Apart from my B-1 - I don't have a practical use for my Chrono - except for measuring the passage of time on a dull phone conference :roll:
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Lap timing at motorsport events
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Nervously check that it re-sets as should after activation.

Master

I time the halves at football.

Need something to do during games as i follow Rotherham United FC. :lol: :lol:

Colin

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    But surely a digital watch with lap recall is far more useful and accurate! Like the timex Ironman with 99 lap memory
    RIAC

Hardly ever run a chrono, most of the time it's just left zero'd.

So really & truthfully I don't have a "need" for a chronograph. Saying that I don't dive or fly a plane, so that's most of collection redundant.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cgs

Colin
    For the price of that Breitling Chronomat Longitude you could buy a new player for Rotherham!
    RIAC

Time the baby's naps. This is evidently important information that the missus gets all upset about if she senses that I'm just plucking times out of the air.

I also time how long various substances have been applied to various surfaces at work. TBF any constantly running seconds hand would be fine for this though.

Cooking timings, too.

I don't use them at all :(

My first Chrono /Certina was purchased on holiday about 15 to 20 years ago and i starved myself while away so i could buy it because i thought it looked great ... 8)

Second was an Oris F1 number 0134 which only came with the Chrono and seem's i'm an F1 fan and Williams fan i bought it ... :mrgreen:

Now though i think Chrono's look a little busy and prefer a clean plane face ... :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    Time the baby's naps. This is evidently important information that the missus gets all upset about if she senses that I'm just plucking times out of the air.

I also time how long various substances have been applied to various surfaces at work. TBF any constantly running seconds hand would be fine for this though.

Cooking timings, too.
    +1 for the baby naps when my two were young.

The only other reason I suppose is that I like watching all the hands move :lol:

Thanks
    deano

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shellscript
    Hardly ever run a chrono, most of the time it's just left zero'd.

So really & truthfully I don't have a "need" for a chronograph. Saying that I don't dive or fly a plane, so that's most of collection redundant.

Very good point, I like my divers as I know they are sturdy and designed to withstand pressure so the odd knock should be ok! GMT is useful when abroad or knowing what time it is abroad if you have an interest for it
    RIAC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by cgs

Colin
    For the price of that Breitling Chronomat Longitude you could buy a new player for Rotherham!
    Thank you very kind words.

Most people say i could buy the club with my chronomat :lol:

CGS

Blog Entries

I sometimes use my Chrono for timing my jogging sessions. No other uses though...
    Well, sometimes I start and reset it just for fun ;-)

never use it. not ever.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Nervously check that it re-sets as should after activation.
    +1 :lol:

Except for that, nothing, absolutely nothing. I actually wonders why I buy them... But they do look cool.

/erik

Grand Master

I used to use the chrono for trials stuff at work, but in reality it was a pain using the chrono and a digital watch of stopwatch would have been a lot easier. I ended up selling my chrono and getting a simpler watch as it was just not getting used.

I would say though, in this game a chrono is more about the dial layout and the look of the watch, a chrono looks far more toolish than a normal watch, you have the additional sub-dials, chrono pushers, etc and a nice chrono looks fantastic, giving a dial a better look overall. That is the reason i went for certain watches, i love the 3,6,9 sub-dial layout, always buy those styles, i am not a fan of the 6,9,12 look so avoid those, so basically it is the inner watch tart that is the reason behind me buying a chrono :lol:

Grand Master

Its a shame someone doesnt make a chrono dial that is pure cosmetic without the innerds so its cheaper!
    RIAC

Grand Master

i am chrono - less currently but i do find them handy for cooking.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

Cooking and making coffee, timing journies and connexions so I know how long it takes etc.

AP.

PS I find them very useful, and like the PRS-5 for this amongst others, as it's esp. clear and comfortable and tough to boot.

Used my Speedie for timing while rallying once, but I spent the entire time worrying whether I'd pick up a ding.

From then on, I only used the chrono function for timing my parking.

Oh well. :| :D

Master

I use mine for timing important stuff. I prefer not to examine this statement in any more detail or my self-delusional El Primero obsession will collapse like a house of cards.

Dave

This.

Master

Timing -
    The time I spend out of the office at lunchtime, lest I get distracted and spend too much time browsing in Fredmans watch dealer
    Time spent swimming laps in the local pool - approx 1 min per 50 m length
    Car parking
    Time taken to walk to work from the ferry - allows me to work out how long I need to allow when I'm going the other way
    Eggs
    Flying my own plane
    Sitting in the back of one of Mr Branson's planes, with 24 hours to go from sydmey to London
    Driving - timing my trips and working out time / speed / distance calculations

Master

I use mine quite a lot, actually:

- Timing espresso shots, practically every day, always with new fresh beans
    - We've got an old microwave owen (non digital), so I sometimes use the chrono to time it
    - Pasta timing
    - Parking times

Though I have to say that I somehow manage quite fine on those days too when I'm not wearing a chrono. ;)

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Timing -
    The time I spend out of the office at lunchtime, lest I get distracted and spend too much time browsing in Fredmans watch dealer
    Car parking
    Time taken to walk to work from the ferry - allows me to work out how long I need to allow when I'm going the other way
    Eggs
    Flying my own plane
    Sitting in the back of one of Mr Branson's planes, with 24 hours to go from sydmey to London
    Which chrono are you wearing Happyjack?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Panofsky
    I use mine for timing important stuff. I prefer not to examine this statement in any more detail or my self-delusional El Primero obsession will collapse like a house of cards.

Dave
    :lol:

Grand Master

Its great isnt it, Im the same I love the look of my chrono but I dont really use it, I find uses for it to try and justify the dials like timing eggs and how long I can hold my breath for etc!

I agree that it can look great as long as its not too busy and is a demonstration of watch making ability so long live the chrono even if its just a few grands worth of egg timer
    RIAC

Craftsman

-Timing when heating up Sauna
    -Cooking
    -Driving/flying time (If over 60mins)

But sad fact is that as I'm perverted to diver watches, 90% of cases can be done faster and easier way with turnable bezel, even with chrono versions. Chronos are lovely pieces still. :wink: Bigger, More buttons = more fun, more something to play with.

On the other hand, missus wears chrono also, and I'm quite sure she even dont know how to operate it.... :shock:

-OD

Never use them and I have quite a few but I have more interest in the horological rather than the practical element.

Personally I think GMT watches are the most useless, if you can't add or subtract a few hours....

Still like them though. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I use it to time runs every day - inuitively readable at a glance from a swinging arm as it's a Lemania 5100. I also use it in events and for navigation (time/distance) on the hills.

My wife uses a Garmin Forerunner GPS but it's sometimes slightly off... :D

I have about a dozen chronos, and I have to admit, I never use the chrono! No really, I just like the second hand to stand stock still at the twelve. Silly I know... but you gotta love it.

-flugzeit

For making my watch look cooler and more sophisticated than it really is.

And by implication, making me look cooler and more sophisticated than I really am.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I've been using a chrono every couple of days for the last 6 weeks to time the response of a new database solution. We're having the usual issues with performance; the application people are blaming the network and vice versa. As I've been the only person on site that anybody trusts to take an accurate measurement I've been timing page loads and response times after every tweak the techies make.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    I just like the second hand to stand stock still at the twelve. Silly I know... but you gotta love it.

-flugzeit

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Personally I think GMT watches are the most useless, if you can't add or subtract a few hours....

Still like them though. :wink:
    I've actually managed to use the GMT function of my speedmaster once, while on a press trip with IWC we had a sailing/navigation experience and one of the blokes running the thing came up to me and asked if I could tell him north just by looking at my watch (we were off the coast of portugal somewhere)
    So I had a quick look at my GMT hand and left him scratching his head when I explained how I did that so quickly. Was worth it right there!

I use the chrono once every couple of weeks for timing a video or something in the oven. As most chrono owners I buy it more for how it looks I guess.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Timing -
    Car parking
    Eggs
    Flying my own plane
    Which chrono are you wearing Happyjack?
    This one - Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut LE - with the Lemania movement. You can't get a more readable display type IMO than this. When I'm swimming laps in the pool, I can check on progress at a glance without stopping the arm movement. A digital chrono, or even a dive bezel, would not be as readable and I've tried both. The only thing that might be better for the uses above would perhaps be a Breitling M1 - because (a) you can use the pushers underwater, and (b) the quickset hour hand is better for travel, when crossing time zones:

When i'm bored on my old knacker casio i enjoy playing the game of getting the digital 100's of a second to stop on zero :D - makes the time pass quicker

These....

:)

But surely a digital watch with lap recall is far more useful and accurate! Like the timex Ironman with 99 lap memory
    Timing to 1/100 second is more than adequate when relying on yourself to press the darn button at the precise same instant the car(s) pass the chosen marker. In reality timing to 1/10 is about as accurate as I expect to get so digitals measuring down to 1/1000 are a bit of a joke really.

Perfect rice, perfect pasta...
    but in reality they just look nice don't they?
    :!:

Not much.

Cooking mainly and the odd lunch break. I did use it timing my wife's contractions even though a) no no nurse ever asked me to or asked how far apart they were and b) by the time I'd squinted at my Speedmaster and worked out where the little hand was in relation to the other tiny markers, she was off again. So either the watch isn't easy to read times from or I was tired. Probably both.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Master

Er, timing things.

I have loads of chronos, and I use them all the time. I'm also a tea idiot savant, so I use them to time the infusions - for certain varieties the difference between 3 and 5 minutes is significant. It's a very easy way to do it. One click, easier than a digital and always ready to start.

Parking. Also cooking - normally two or three things to time so using the chrono for one seems obvious.

I can honestly say that on the odd occasion when I'm wearing a time-only watch, I miss the stopwatch function.

Grand Master

Genuine question not a wind up or dig, I am really curious as to what people with chrono watches use them for?

I have a chrono and with the exception of timing eggs thats about it, it is not practical to run or cycle with it, I have far better tools to time that. I just dont know why I have a chrono!!
    Cooking, parking, kid-related stuff (vital for that), sometimes running. Also timing the gaps between people saying that all chronos are pointless because they happen not to have any use for them ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

SWMBO gave me a Speedie for my 40th this year 8)
    I stop it randomly and try and read it quickly, just an excuse to play.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23564&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Scouter

The last time actually used a chrono for timing something (rather than playing with them, which I do all the time :) ) it was to time the application of a low temperature wart removing system.

Well, you did ask.....

Master

Posing

I am using it for cooking and for timing my son's football games!
    :lol: