closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Safes

Safes

As my collection grows, I think it's time I invested in a safe. Now I know that they are not the prettiest of things so I thought I would go "vintage". Are these old safes any good or are they purely a decorative item and I should buy a modern bland box safe?
    Thanks
    Russ

Journeyman

Re: Safes

Hi Russ,
    I've gone with a modern reconditioned safe which got from these people. http://www.atozsafes.com/index.aspx
    There may be issues with your insurance if the safe is not rated.

Not the best looking bits of househould furniture but you could disguise it. 8)

I did think about a vintage safe but then you have an issue of the safe being on display and people thinking you have something worth having. Plus the older safes tend to be key only and you could have the situation where if someone is in the house they try and make you (or whoever is in) open it.

Master

Just been through the same process and in the end decided to go for the modern option and bolt it to the floor in a cupboard out of sight. This one seemed to be reasonable value for money in terms of cost and security ratings etc, but there is an awful lot of choice out there!

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/a ... 30bef.html

Certainly gives a little peace of mind when you're on holiday etc.

I was thinking of selling my entire collection to buy a safe from this Company, but if I did that, I wouldn't need a safe... :?

http://www.doettling.com/doettling_en/

Back to the drawing board!!

8)

Master
    Blog Entries

It's all about speaking to MarcJ. He'll be able to impartially advise you and give the best price you'll get.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggill
    It's all about speaking to MarcJ. He'll be able to impartially advise you and give the best price you'll get.

+1

Marc is in security business and a great guy.

Going back to the question for me its about watch "wearing" as opposed to "collecting" so i do not use a safe for mine except if i was going away and i have a safe in the loft for that purpose but i do advise a decent alarm linked to central station whatever your watch ownership.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggill

Going back to the question for me its about watch "wearing" as opposed to "collecting" so i do not use a safe for mine except if i was going away and i have a safe in the loft for that purpose but i do advise a decent alarm linked to central station whatever your watch ownership.
    I would love to do this but the fact my boss just got robbed last week and some watches were on the winder vs safe means it will be an uphill struggle with insurers...it only take 2 minutes for someone to enter your home and steal something unfortunately. :cry:

Craftsman

I've just had our dressing room refitted. I purchased a new modern safe for under £300 and had it fitted inside one of the wardrobes out of sight behind some dummy drawers and it was bolted to the floor beams. Its not pretty but its not ugly either but I'd rather it was out of sight.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by watch264
    Plus the older safes tend to be key only and you could have the situation where if someone is in the house they try and make you (or whoever is in) open it.
    Is there a type of safe that avoids that problem?

If you don't need regular access then an underfloor safe can be harder to find than one bolted to a floor or wall.

Banned

Slightly off topic, but I have an Omega safe. Same company as the watch does anyone know?

Craftsman

This one has work ok for the last 30yrs :lol: :lol:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by RJS
    Quote Originally Posted by watch264
    Plus the older safes tend to be key only and you could have the situation where if someone is in the house they try and make you (or whoever is in) open it.
    Is there a type of safe that avoids that problem?
    If you don't need regular access then an underfloor safe can be harder to find than one bolted to a floor or wall.
    I suppose not, however the one I have is hidden and only I have the combination (rather than a key)