closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hats off to Steinhart

Master

Hats off to Steinhart

Recently received my Steinhart Vintage Red and I have to say it is a truly impressive watch for the money. This is not the first sub-alike watch I have owned, but it is definitely the one I feel most happy with. I like it best on a Nato, and I think the dark grey one in the pictures suits it just fine. The bracelet that comes with the watch is of good quality and looks great, but is not my choice for everyday wear. I am almost tempted to buy a 2nd watch so that I can alternate between Nato and bracelet without having to do strap changes which leads to damage around the lugs no matter how careful you are.

Some pictures that I hope go some way towards doing this watch justice :-)

Terry

Re: Hats off to Steinhart

Lovely watch! Photo number three is the most striking. Enjoy!

Heard good things about these though the dial is perhaps a little busy for me with the descriptive. Still a corker mind.

Out of interest, where would you put it in relation to other sub style watches eg O&W or Grovana for example - or indeed against ones you've had previously?

Master

I've just bought an Ocean 1 LV (thanks, Vicky!), and I think it wears better than my Sub ND. Sure, it's never going to be as accurate as my Rolex, but the feel of the bracelet, and the slightly softer lines of the case, make it better on the wrist.

Lovely watch, still regret letting my one go..

Currently toying with the idea of getting a PVD Ocean Vintage Red and putting it on a green nato :

Master

Haven't timed mine specifically, but over the course of a week, it appears to have lot no more than 10 seconds agains my casio waveceptor. i know others have reported similar levels of accuracy. I don't think your Rolex is going to better that.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    I've just bought an Ocean 1 LV (thanks, Vicky!), and I think it wears better than my Sub ND. Sure, it's never going to be as accurate as my Rolex, but the feel of the bracelet, and the slightly softer lines of the case, make it better on the wrist.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight

Currently toying with the idea of getting a PVD Ocean Vintage Red and putting it on a green nato :

Now that looks very nice indeed.

Do it!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kfman
    Haven't timed mine specifically, but over the course of a week, it appears to have lot no more than 10 seconds agains my casio waveceptor. i know others have reported similar levels of accuracy. I don't think your Rolex is going to better that.

Mine's running around +8s per day, which is fine for a standard 2824-2, and can probably be improved after a session on the timing machine. My Sub ND runs at around +1s - not bad for a 12 year old watch that's worn infrequently, but has never been serviced.

I'll try and put my Steinhart on the timing machine in the next few days, and check out the positional accuracy - that's where a quality movement scores.

Great looking watch and great VFM, wear it in health!

Master

I never fancied a Steinhart and was worried about reliability. But then I bought one and loved it. So I immediately bought a GMT version too.

Great watches and I would say excellent value.

any manufacturer that gives away chocolate with its LE's is alright by me.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Like the OP, I wore mine exclusively on a NATO until I sold it last week. Superb watches, and fantastic value for money.

What's not to like?

Journeyman

Can I just ask a question to those who own a Steinhart Ocean?

I really like the look of the Ocean, how is the build quality does it have the feel of a well made watch?

Master

As I said, my Ocean 1 compares favourably with my Rolex Sub ND in most respects. The finish is very good, as is the feel of the bracelet and case on the wrist.
    The bezel doesn't move as smoothly - feels more like a Seiko. Good, but not up there with an expensive watch. Way better than a cheap Chinese watch, though.

IMHO, a Steinhart is up there with the likes of Oris or Longines. A £1000 watch for £300.

IMHO, a Steinhart is up there with the likes of Oris or Longines. A £1000 watch for £300.
    I've owned 3 Steinharts and they are seriously good value for money but IMO they are £300-£400 worth of value NOT a £1,000 watch! You really see their actual value when compared to a £600-£700 stowa.

Like them although the whole homage discussion bothers me. Never seen the PVD version before so that's a pleasant surprise. Haven't you guys considered a groupbuy? I know Gunter'll give at least 10 percent discount.

Master

Here's a question: what happens in 2011 when , for the first time, our VAT right is higher than Germany's. Surely we will get billed for the extra 1% as well. But will this process also slow down the delivery through customs?

Because you are paying the VAT in Germany, another EU country, I believe the VAT hike here will not affect it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Here's a question: what happens in 2011 when , for the first time, our VAT right is higher than Germany's. Surely we will get billed for the extra 1% as well. But will this process also slow down the delivery through customs?
    Nothing will change.

Now, as well as in 2011 and beyond, this is what happens: When we, as non-VAT registered purchasers, buy from a vendor in a different EU country we pay the VAT to the vendor at the rate charged in the vendor's country. There will be nothing extra to pay at any stage just because the UK VAT rate will be higher. It works the same in all EU countries.

If, on the other hand, you are VAT registered then, as long as you supply the non-UK vendor with your VAT number, they will supply the goods to you without charging VAT. You then account for UK VAT at the normal UK rate when you import the goods. (There are certain exemptions to this with memory chips and mobile phones due to previously prevalent carousel fraud but this is how it works with most goods).

Master

Thanks for that Mark. I suppose they would if they could, but they obviously can't :twisted:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    I suppose they would if they could, but they obviously can't :twisted:
    Indeed!

Howdy!
    :lol:
    First post having lurked for a long time! Toying with the idea of one of these myself. I love it on the Nato. I gather they are unavailable right now though?! Might be wrong...

How do you feel about the crystal? I would be tempted to ask for the Vintage Red for the red lettering detail, but with the Sapphire crystal for general scratch-proof-ness?

Tom

Master

I liked the plexi - proper old skool ;)

Master

I've just had my Ocean One LV on the timing machine (Microset Watch Timer Pro), and got the following results:

Dial Up +8.9 seconds/day
    Dial Down +9.0
    12 High +9.4
    9 High +7.3
    6 High +5.2
    3 High +8.0
    So, maximum positional variation of 4.2 seconds/day

Amplitude (after wearing all day) averaged 303 degrees. Beat error between 0.1 and 0.6 milliseconds, depending on position.

These are impressive results from such a relatively cheap watch, with no pretensions. I've no idea whether Steinhart tinker with the movement, or if it's just a standard, ex-factory, 2824-2, but this is approaching COSC-type performance from a £300 watch. Of course COSC also tests for long-term rates and temperature variation.
    With a little tweak of the regulator, I'm sure that I could get it to run +/- 2 seconds/day. After adjusting for personal wear rate, It'd probably run at around a second or so a day on the wrist.

I've also had a good look at the dial under 20x magnification. The printing and dial background are perfect, as are the hands and the metalwork of the hour markers. The only flaw is a slight orange peel finish to the lume on the markers (not visible even with my strongest reading glasses). The lume on the hands is perfect.
    The bezel insert is also perfectly printed, with a chamfered edge so that it sits flush with the crystal. Alignment is also spot on, if the bezel is rotated clockwise back against the ratchet.

In summary, the only 2 things that I can find that are less than perfect are the lume fill on the indices, and the slightly stiff bezel. I'm seriously impressed by this watch.

Master

I'm seriously impressed by this watch.
    That's good to hear. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81
    Howdy!
    :lol:
    I gather they are unavailable right now though?!

Tom
    I just ordered one today from Neil at http://www.chronomaster.co.uk. Should be delivered tomorrow. Was chatting to him and he says he's got another six in stock.

Thanks for the detailed(!) analysis clockworks. After reading that I had no choice but to go ahead and order one!

Just received mine - very impressed. Serious heft and a quality finish. Just need a link out.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK)

I've owned 3 Steinharts and they are seriously good value for money but IMO they are £300-£400 worth of value NOT a £1,000 watch! You really see their actual value when compared to a £600-£700 stowa.
    I'm only learning about them - what are you referring to when you say that? Finish etc?

Well she's on my wrist now :D Love it! I've tried it on Bond NATO, black Zulu, Olive NATO, but prefer it on the bracelet. Just took this macro shot on my Nokia E71 so not that brilliant...

Rod

I have the Aviation GMT version and I am very happy with it, alot of watch for the money.

I do like the brand and at one point I also spoke to the owner, a very nice chap.

Having said that, I never bought any of their watches even if I was very tempted to buy the Valjoux Chronograph from them at around 650 Euros (or there about).

They came to my attention back in 2005/2006? - when I looked at Grovana and MarcelloC too.

At that time Grovana was supplying most of the watches to Steinhart. Knowing now what I found out about the poor quality of the Grovana and Revue-Thommen watches, I would be hesitant to but from Steinhart, although, they look good and prices are inviting.

If supplier/manufacturer is no longer Grovana, they could prove to be good value for money but, now, some 20 years down the line with many watches in my safe, I have learnt that if a brand is too cheap, there is something wrong with it. Having said that, a £4,000 Van Cleef and Arpels with quartz movement bought in 1992 became absolutely crap by 2002. :evil:

i like the look of the PVD
    Not something i would do to my sub but can enjoy wearing it for what it is.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by DB7W1
    At that time Grovana was supplying most of the watches to Steinhart. Knowing now what I found out about the poor quality of the Grovana and Revue-Thommen watches, I would be hesitant to but from Steinhart, although, they look good and prices are inviting.

If supplier/manufacturer is no longer Grovana, they could prove to be good value for money but, now, some 20 years down the line with many watches in my safe, I have learnt that if a brand is too cheap, there is something wrong with it.
    Grovana isn't the supplier for Steinhart anymore for the last couple of years. Personally, I do not have a problem to receive value for money. That is probably why I like the watches from Steinhart and Time Factors. Others may prefer to pay for marketing and brand recognition :wink: ...

all the best

Jan

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by DB7W1
    I do like the brand and at one point I also spoke to the owner, a very nice chap.

Having said that, I never bought any of their watches even if I was very tempted to buy the Valjoux Chronograph from them at around 650 Euros (or there about).

They came to my attention back in 2005/2006? - when I looked at Grovana and MarcelloC too.

If supplier/manufacturer is no longer Grovana, they could prove to be good value for money but, now, some 20 years down the line with many watches in my safe, I have learnt that if a brand is too cheap, there is something wrong with it. Having said that, a £4,000 Van Cleef and Arpels with quartz movement bought in 1992 became absolutely crap by 2002. :evil:
    That's interesting - I have been looking at these but haven't 'jumped' because I've owned a Grovana & I thought that they were basically the same watch. Might change my mind now. Any idea when they stopped using the Grovanas?

Someone is saying that Steinhart are off Grovana since 2008.

Hence the question is - who is making the watches for them now!?

Very disappointed with Steinhart - went to order this variation and they said that it was not possible for me to order it, despite the fact that several people have ordered it before.

Can't see myself ordering another watch from them if they have stopped providing a nice personal touch..

Blog Entries

Very disappointed with Steinhart - went to order this variation and they said that it was not possible for me to order it, despite the fact that several people have ordered it before.
    If you're referring to the Ocean Black DLC then it's still on their website but show as out of stock. Could it be that they simply meant you couldn't order it until it comes back into stock?

Steinhart certainly do seem to have problems keeping up with demand!

Master

Finally had time to regulate my Ocean 1 LV today, as it was gaining around 8s/day. First surprise was a metal movement ring, rather than the more common plastic - a sign of quality on such a "cheap" watch. Next, something slightly disappointing. I needed to slow the watch down by a few seconds, but the regulating screw was already fully over to the minus side. Since I bought it secondhand, a previous owner may have been inside and fiddled with it?
    Never mind, off with the autowind module (2 screws), nudge the regulator lever slightly, with the fine adjustment screw in the neutral position. Got it right first time! It's running at -2/+3 on the timing machine, depending on the position.

Cleaned off the wrist cheese from the faces of the case and caseback with pegwood and Rodico, a smear of silicone grease on the gasket, and screw the back into place. I'll wear it for a few days, and see how it's running on the wrist.

While I was working on it (wearing my 10x binocular magnifier), I saw something that I hadn't spotted on my initial inspection. The lume in the bezel pip sits slightly proud of the surround, and is chipped. It's also slightly soft, having the consistency of undercoat plaster or chalk. I wonder if that's a mod by a previous owner, maybe in an attempt to get a brighter glow?

Apprentice

I bought a PVD Ocean vintage red and a Nav B and love them both.

In fact out of my collection of 8 they get the most wrist time, and I they are they cheapest watches I have (bar my Benarus Moray).

I am strictly an amateur when it comes to watches compared to some on here. I just like what I see and buy it (or don't) but it's really nice to have the level of info and detail as given by some above. Thank you.

Cheers

Master

It's now been 4 days since I regulated the Ocean 1 LV, and it's lost 3 seconds. That's in normal use, not lying on the bench. I'm happy with that.

Going by how quickly they sell on SC, Steinhart must be a forum favourite.