closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy

Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy

Here´s an interesting and fairly rare piece. A Hamilton 3992B American made, British issued 1942 Master Deck Watch.
    As WW2 continued, the supply of Swiss watches were all but cut off, the Admiralty looked across the Atlantic for replacements.
    Hamilton of Lancaster, PA, USA was a suitable choice. The watches were made to American standards and appropriatly marked. Once delivered to the Chronometer Section of the Royal Hydrographic Dept. stationed in Herstmonceaux Castle, they were superimposed with the HS standard mark and the crowsfoot. The Master Deck Watch was the second most important watch on the bridge, if the ships chronometer was damaged or failed, the master deck watch would be the replacement reference for all other timepieces.
    The master deck watch was important enough to be taken into the collection of watches and clocks of the National Maritime Museum, London. It is their description I have adapted for my deck watch, changing only the engravings and numbers, to suit my deck watch;

Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy

A mahogany deck box fitted with two brass hinges and a simple pressed-brass clip-type catch. The top is glazed with a circular 'porthole' on the upper surface. The box is lined with black imitation leather in the lid and lower half, shaped to the form of the watch. The lid has an open-ended clear plastic cover on the inside to hold an issue card and the recess in the lower half, above the watch.

The bottom of the box is also covered with black imitation leather. The chromium-plated nickel, open-face case has the winding/setting crown inset into a wide pendant, with a flat, shaped bow. Pulling out the winding button stops the watch (light spring against the balance) and engages the set-hands facility. The convex 'unbreakable' glass is held in a screw-down, knurled, chromium-plated nickel bezel. The nickel, screw-down back is machine engraved on the back 'NAVIGATION / MASTER WATCH / MFR'S PART NO.3992B / SERIAL NO. 1906-1942 / HAMILTON WATCH CO. / H.S. 3'. The inside of the back is stamped with the case manufacturer's mark 'KEYSTONE', 'CO' in a shield, 'BASE METAL' and '570663'.

A white enamel dial of 43 mm Æ is marked with the Government broad arrow above the centre, and signed 'HAMILTON' below. The dial has vertical Arabic numerals and small vertical Arabic five-minute figures. Polished and black-finished steel spade and poker-hands have a counter-balanced blued-steel centre seconds hand.

The going barrel, barred movement is of bright, damascened, nickel, and is signed with black enamel-filled engraving on the barrel bridge 'HAMILTON / WATCH CO. / U.S.A' and 'ADJ. TEMP. / AND 6 / POSITIONS'. The escape/fourth wheel bridge is marked '3992 B / 22 JEWELS / U.S. GOVT '. It is also marked on the main plate, by the balance cock foot '302137'. A polished steel index, mounted on the balance cock, acts on a lateral screw for fine rating adjustment. The index has a scale under it, engraved with 'F' and 'S' for fast and slow. There is a four-wheel train with a centre seconds drive off the third wheel and a going barrel.

There is a double roller, jewelled and club tooth lever escapement. The impulse roller has a clear jewelled impulse pin and pallets with clear stones. The pallets bank against brass banking pins. The uncut balance is mounted with 20 brass screws around the rim. The flat spiral, 'Hamilton Elinvar Extra' balance spring, with over coil, has an index mounted on the upper surface of the balance cock as described. The train is jewelled to the centre (22 jewels in total) with red stones in brass press-in settings. The balance and escape wheel have end stones.

The instrument is in fine, almost as new condition.

Regards,

Jimmy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Hamilton 3992B Master Deck Watch issued to the Royal Navy

thanks for posting, very nice and oh so 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for the post, Jimmy; I can't get enough of these fantastic watches/chronometers. Such superb craftsmanship.

Master

Very nice. I've an Elgin HS2 in need of some TLC and not in the condition this is in (and not the case) wonderful watches and thanks for sharing.

AP 8)

That is lovely - an antique as well as a watch - wish I had one!!

You do like your deck watches don't you Jimmy? :wink:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Hi Jimmy,

really a lovely and rare example of a Hamilton Deck Watch, congratulations.
    Here is my Hamilton one, the more known sister. Fortunately this deck watch found its way to the one and only 'real' navy :wink:
    Regards
    Hajo

Just fabulous. I love the snail cam for adjusting the balance, and I assume Jimmy's 3992B has some sort of micrometer adjustment, can't quite make it out from the photos.

OK, all this thread needs now is a Type 21...<sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    You do like your deck watches don't you Jimmy? :wink:

Eddie
    yes I love them, Eddie...

Quote Originally Posted by hth
    Here is my Hamilton one, the more known sister. Fortunately this deck watch found its way to the one and only 'real' navy :wink:
    Hajo, simply beautiful, that one has been eluding me for quite some time, although I do have it as a (Model 22) gimbaled deck chronometer!...should I present it in a separate post perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit
    Just fabulous. I love the snail cam for adjusting the balance, and I assume Jimmy's 3992B has some sort of micrometer adjustment, can't quite make it out from the photos.
    It can be seen(not to clearly) on the last picture. It has as you rightly say, a micrometer adjustment...here a better picture by daylight.

Regards,

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit

OK, all this thread needs now is a Type 21...<sigh>
    OK...would you like the Hamilton Model 21 to be presented in a separate thread, or here? I have both, model 21 and model 22! :wink:

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Banned

thats very nice
    what does hs stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo

OK...would you like the Hamilton Model 21 to be presented in a separate thread, or here? I have both, model 21 and model 22! :wink:

Best Regards,

Jimmy
    Since you ask...a separate thread seems more sensible, how about both models in a new thread?

And if you ever want to sell one...you know who to ask...!!

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    thats very nice
    what does hs stand for?
    Here´s a good link with a wealth of information .
    Military Timepieces:
    Watches Issued to British Armed Forces 1870-1970

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm

Navigational timekeepers were defined by the Hydrographic Survey, these were tested at Greenwich before 1914 and after that time at the National Physical Laboratory at Kew.

Here are the standards the watches were tested to:

Trial of Deck Watches of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, in 1890
    Chronometer makers who may care to send watches to the trial must first obtain permission from the Hydrographic, Admiralty, Whitehall, S.W., to whom all requests for such permission must be sent not later than October 6.
    The watches are to be deposited here between the hours of 10 and 1 on any day (excepting Sunday), during the week ending with October 20th, after which no watch can under any circumstances be received.
    The rating this year commences on Saturday, October 25 and will be as follows:
    Watch horizontal, dial up, in room for 6 weeks
    Watch horizontal, dial up, in oven for 1 week
    Watch vertical, pendant up, in oven for 4 days
    Watch vertical, pendant right, in oven for 3 days
    Watch vertical, pendant left, in oven for 3 days
    Watch vertical, pendant up, in oven for 4 days
    Watch horizontal, dial up, in oven for 1 week
    Watch horizontal, dial up, in room for 6 weeks
    The mean temperature in the oven will be from 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
    The watches are to be in silver cases with crystal glass, and each must bear a distinguishing No. engraved on the plate of the movement, Preference will be given to keyless watches.
    Each watch is to be labeled with its price, which is to include a mahogany box with ivory label, cleaning after trial and engraving the Government mark on the dial and plate of the movement, and the name of the maker, the No. of the watch, the letters D.W., and the Government mark on the ivory label of the box.
    WHM Christie
    Royal Observatory, Greenwich.
    Navigational timekeepers were defined by the Hydrographic Survey in four categories thus.
    H.S. 1. The master chronometer with detent escapement. These were tested at Greenwich before 1914 and after that time at the National Physical Laboratory at Kew.
    H.S.2. The chronometer watch, formerly known as the deck watch had a lever movement, was adjusted for temperature and in five positions. These were also tested.
    H.S.3. These were small watches, most 16 or 19 size with lever escapements, adjusted for temperature and in two positions. Most of the examples found have been of a much higher standard, adjusted in five or six positions.
    H.S.4. These timekeepers were large or small cockpit instruments with different specifications.

This went all the way up till H.S. 9 (but I don´t remember what H.S. 9 was referred to)

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
    This went all the way up till H.S. 9 (but I don´t remember what H.S. 9 was referred to)
    HS9 was the "watch, wrist, chronograph" (one button Lemania etc), I think.

Ross, you´re absolutly right...look here and scroll down;
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... one+button

Best Regards,

Jimmy

Banned

thanks for the info its a good read :)

Congrats on your Hamilton 3992B Deck Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by hth
    Hi Jimmy,

really a lovely and rare example of a Hamilton Deck Watch, congratulations.
    Regards
    Hajo

Oh how nice watch!
    one wery good piece of last time!