closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TVR Chimaera refurb

TVR Chimaera refurb

With the permission of Eddie I've created a new thread on the refurbishment of my TVR Chimaera. (I might add it was a complicated job for Eddie to split this from the original thread so I offer him my profuse thanks & promise never to ask again! :D )

I picked up the car in July from Bristol and brought it to Devon, prior to collection she hadn't turned a wheel in two years. and was looking in a pretty poor state. :( Furthermore, she had been stood in a damp garage for that time and the weather on the drive back was awful so she's not looking too good at the mo. So I set about on the interior and that's come up quite well:

The carpets have 'had it' but other than that it was just a question of cleaning and elbow grease, I'll spend more time on the leather next week.

I did finish quicker than anticipated and thought about starting on the bodywork, but the call of the lanes was too strong so I justified taking her out by going to buy the road tax - we did seem to avoid several Post Offices en route, mind. :wink:

Complete with missing h/lamp surround (blew off on the motorway) :roll: :

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Re: Any TVR owners/ex-owners here?

Congrats. Looks great, missing headlight surround excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    SWMBO's verdict: "You'll never learn, will you?" :D
    "And that's why I'm still with you, my dear."

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the road-tax was only just over £200, was expecting a lot more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    SWMBO's verdict: "You'll never learn, will you?" :D
    "And that's why I'm still with you, my dear."
    I'm not that brave. :shock:

:mrgreen:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Well Ralphy my friend.

Having spoke to you five mins ago and heard of your purchase, I like.

Has it stopped dropping to bits?

Looks great!
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Looks lovely Ralphy,it has the same dash and clocks etc as mine,also the alloy Leven style parts,enjoy it!.
    Had a fantastic hoon in mine today through the lanes,it still scares the hell out of me,i mean a car that tank slaps just isn't right :D

Not much chance to enjoy it today, raining solid for the last 24 hours. :cry: So along with some replacement bits I've also ordered a car cover - seems TVR have a somewhat 'relaxed' view to making the soft-top waterproof. :D

R

Not much chance to enjoy it today, raining solid for the last 24 hours. :cry: So along with some replacement bits I've also ordered a car cover - seems TVR have a somewhat 'relaxed' view to making the soft-top waterproof. :D

R
    Rear wheel drive, front-engined, no electronics to spoil the fun, surely it would be a hoot in the rain? I assume the chassis wasn't galvanised?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100

R
    Rear wheel drive, front-engined, no electronics to spoil the fun, surely it would be a hoot in the rain? I assume the chassis wasn't galvanised?
    I mean serious rain: our main road was impassibly flooded this lunch-time. :cry:

Non-galvanised, but the coating on this one is pretty good: the outrigger rot is minimal for her age and I intend (if I keep her) to give her a major stripdown in the winter and refurbish the car from the chassis up.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I mean serious rain: our main road was impassibly flooded this lunch-time. :cry:

Non-galvanised, but the coating on this one is pretty good: the outrigger rot is minimal for her age and I intend (if I keep her) to give her a major stripdown in the winter and refurbish the car from the chassis up.

R
    Minimal, eh? :roll:

At the weekend I got started prepping the car for it's winter refurb by removing the interior seats and carpet in order to access the bolts holding the body onto the chassis. Lots of Plus-Gas applied to the rusty bolts, those that I could were cracked off and then left for the PG to penetrate. Monday sees me delivering the car to a local motor-sport manufacturers premises and the process of disconnecting everything commences. It is my plan to do a full body-off job, whilst it is possible to access the chassis on a partial lift of the body I'm determined to go the 'full monty' on the car and have the chassis removed, sand-blasted, galvanised and then painted in two-pack.

Today all cables, fuel lines and body/chassis connectors were removed and the lift began:

But only so far, we discovered that the steering rack wouldn't separate from the steering shaft and so the whole shaft/wheel had to be removed:

On the next attempt to lift further we discovered that the engine manifolds wouldn't clear the body and so they had to come off - a major job as the bolts are all but inaccessible with the engine in place :roll: :

But finally they came off and after double and triple- checking all was disconnected the body was raised:

And the chassis could be rolled out from underneath and examined in the daylight:

Now, here is the view of the outriggers as it appeared to the MOT tester when I bought the car a couple of months ago:

And here they are as they appeared to us upon removal of the chassis:

Cue mechanics amusement at the both the fact that the car passed the MOT and also at my expletives upon seeing the above. :wink:

Tomorrow we remove engine, gearbox, diff, wishbone arms and all bushes in preparation for the chassis's departure to our local farm machinery workshop for the preparatory blasting and then the subsequent galvanising. Whilst that is taking place the engine will be undergoing some fairly extensive 'tweaking', however I'm off to warmer climes shortly so I'll be leaving all that to them-as-know-what-they're-doing! :wink:

My plan is a simple one: to make this Chimaera as best as it can be and those who have bought watches off me recently will be aware of the funding costs associated with this project :shock:

Nevertheless, I'm determined to achieve my objective - so if you see me wearing a Swatch on the Friday thread you'll appreciate why. :D

R

Keep us updated with progress please. I'm looking forward to seeing this

Craftsman

Looks quite a project that will be worth it in the end though. I love my Tuscan would'nt change it for the world, it was my last drive in her this year today collecting my new watch from Bournemouth. Made me not want to put it away lol these things are addictive! :P

Today was brake callipers off, wishbones off, bushes out and engine out:

Clutch looks pretty good and I may not be changing it:

Same for the thrust bearing, but I'll change it anyway:

Just the diff & gearbox to remove now:

Exhaust has come back home with me for cleaning:

And a token watch pic, wishbones are serviceable (with new bushes) as it's surface rust only and will be blasted/galvanised/painted too:

Tomorrow I've got other non-car things to do but hopefully will get the rocker and plenum covers prepared for painting & the exhaust cleaned up. I'm cleaning & painting the engine on Friday - well, hopefully: as snow is forecast and the workshop is down a steep track!

R

Wow :shock:

Must admit mate - looked good when we met in summer, heck of a restoration but for me I would see it through (which you clearly are set on).

Great to see the progress :D
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Really great resto Ralphy! Its hard work and costly, but you'll have a great car that will last a long time when its done :)

PS - swap ALL the bits out you have access to at this stage, will pay off in the future :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    PS - swap ALL the bits out you have access to at this stage, will pay off in the future :)
    Oh I am. :wink:

R

Re: TVR Chimaera refurb

Being a complete non car person.. (i drive them thats about it) whats happending with those parts which are rusted away.. will they chopped out and replaces on the Chassis ?

WOW i can't believe how bad that chassis frame has rusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewters
    +1 :shock:

Will look forward to following this one 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

I can! :lol:

Banned

I love these type of threads 8) Good luck and look forward to buying it from you when done :lol: :lol:

Grand Master

Great pics Ralphy, I love to look at car restorations whilst sitting in a nice warm cosy study with a beer in my hand :) ....beats actually doing it yourself in a cold damp garage.

My car restoring days are over; been there, done that, still got the scars (mental and pysical). MGs and Triumphs were my speciality and I reckon I could strip/rebuild an MGB with my eyes shut (well....definitely without a workshop manual).

Just sold my 1972 TR6 recently, partly due to loss of enthusiasm but mainly due to the limitations of space in my small garage. Given the right facilities it can be fun.....but for me that means large WARM double garage with good lighting and a decent music system :).

As for TVRs....I've fancied one in the past but always decided against it. I reckon this is the best approach if you want one; buy a tatty car and completely restore it to get it right.

I wouldn`t bother trying to get a repaired chassis galvanised and I certainly wouldn`t bother having wishbones etc galvanised. I would opt for powder-coating instead, followed by liberal amounts of good old Waxoyl. I know it looks messy but it certainly works. I`ve heard stories about distortion caused by galvanising; personally I don`t think it's necessary unless it's an option on new parts.

Judging by the state of the chassis I`d be considering a new one. Don`t forget about the corrosion you can`t see which is inside the tubes. However, if you stick with the original and repair it, ensure that whoever does the welding knows what they're doing; welding tubular sections is tricky; never done it myself but I know it has to be done properly.

Don`t forget to look v. carefully at the wiring loom; if it's been messed around with I`d consider getting a new one made up. Getting the electrics right on a fibreglass car is vital.

As for the engine, if I was you I`d stick to the original spec and resist any temptations to uprate it. I think the extra money this costs would be better spent on other aspects of the car. My advice is to have the engine rebuilt to original spec, it generally makes life easier because the ignition/ECU/injection will all work properly provided they're in good condition.

Good luck with the project.....don`t forget it will cost you more than you think because it always does.

Paul

Master

The chassis :shock:

Rusty and temperamental or not though, it's a minor tragedy that TVR is dead. When they went, I'd hoped that someone might come in and make a viable business, but it looks as though the Russian child's involvement was fatal.

Excellent thread, Ralphy, and I look forward to seeing more of the restoration.

I love this kind of story, and bringing a car such as this back, if not from the dead, certainly approaching the brink from the look of the chassis, is well worthwhile, particularly as it's an iconic marque which has now passed into history.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    Being a complete non car person.. (i drive them thats about it) whats happending with those parts which are rusted away.. will they chopped out and replaces on the Chassis ?
    Exactly so.

The two chassis arms that run down the outside are referred to as 'outriggers' and they are the weak point of these cars. When made they were powder coated, but given their alignment with the front wheels they are prone to anything on the road being thrown up at them. So stones get flung up and lodge between the top half of the outriggers, chip the paint, water gets in and the "Blackpool rot" begins....... but you don't see it as the powder coating covers the evidence.

So the solution is to cut back to some good chassis (typically half way to the square central section then sleeve some wider tubes onto that and continue with the same tubing to renew the outriggers.

R

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I can! :lol:
    Me too! had a TVR S many moons ago - outriggers crumbled away in a very short time. :(

Is a complete new chassis available Ralph?

I suspect to getting one 'knocked up in stainless will be cost prohibitive ?

Master

I believe Sportmotive have some jigs and sell brand new chassis for about £5k. No need for a new one though unless the main chassis rails are absolutely rotten!

I can't remember the reason people don't use stainless steel, but I seem to remember it being more than purely cost. Some people galvanise the chassis but then apparently there are concerns over it warping and distorting under the heat.

Edit: I could have sworn I posted earlier with a list of things I replaced when mine was done earlier this year. You seem to have it all under control though but if you want an idea of what it cost me and what I ended up replacing then PM me. :)

TBH, I'm happy enough with this one, we've given it a good inspection and there's little evidence of other deterioration.

One reason for getting it galvanised is that, in order to do so, holes have to be drilled into the frame to allow the air out (otherwise there's a greater risk of distortion) but of course that also allows the galvanising fluid in, so that's as good as it gets IMO. Being farming country there's a firm locally that does the process, so after that the only reason for painting is aesthetics - unless you like the farm-gate finish. :lol:

R

TBH, I'm happy enough with this one, we've given it a good inspection and there's little evidence of other deterioration.

One reason for getting it galvanised is that, in order to do so, holes have to be drilled into the frame to allow the air out (otherwise there's a greater risk of distortion) but of course that also allows the galvanising fluid in, so that's as good as it gets IMO. Being farming country there's a firm locally that does the process, so after that the only reason for painting is aesthetics - unless you like the farm-gate finish. :lol:

R
    If it's 'agricultural' galvanising it will be pretty good :thumbleft:

Thanks for the thread split, this defo deserves its own thread :)

Master

I would do it Ralphy if the outfit are up to the job. When I was looking at building my race car one of the options was to have the body shell zinc dipped after it had been acid dipped, however this would have added a fair amount of weight and cost something like £800. On a classic car rebuild rather than race car, something like a 356 for example I would have done it to make it last forever in all weathers. What I did get my brother to do though was to spray bilt hamber dynax s50 into every cavity. He put 3.5 cans into the car and luckily when it had its final blow over the oven didn't make it all run out again, probably helped actually spread it out and get in the seams.

Great project btw, it will be worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    Thanks for the thread split, this defo deserves its own thread :)
    The thanks goes to Eddie. :wink:

R

Ralphy, remember every bolt hole and bush holder on the chassis will be reduced by the applied Galvy and you may need to ream these out if the bolts were originally tight, I had a Landrover that had a custom Galvy job and every single bolt hole had to be drilled out :shock:

Ohhh and change the clutch mate, even if it looks wonderful its well worth doing at this stage for peace of mind while the engines out, presumably you will be having a new oil pump fitted as well ?

Excellent post BTW :wink:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Early start today:

the exhausts were so cold to touch I gave them a warm-up!:

Off to the garage and the outriggers are being removed and replaced:

New radiator:

The Borg & Warner T5, the ‘better’ gearbox for the Chimaera’s:

At sometime over the weekend I’m hoping to get the engine cleaned and dressed up, but my time before going abroad next week is limited and the top priority is to get the chassis ready for the bead-blasting and galvanizing whilst I’m away.

But I did get some extra work in when I got home (thank God SWMBO is away for the weekend though: if she saw what I'd done in 'her' kitchen it'd be curtains for me :shock: )

In a voiceover by Nigella…..

Take two dirty rocker covers and a filthy plenum:

Rub repeatedly with various potions:

Bake in a slow, warm oven for 20 minutes:

Remove and allow to cool:

Then slaver some luscious primer over them:

Then paint……..

(only I didn’t like the colour now it’s on, so may re-do tomorrow.

R

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Ralphy, remember every bolt hole and bush holder on the chassis will be reduced by the applied Galvy and you may need to ream these out if the bolts were originally tight, I had a Landrover that had a custom Galvy job and every single bolt hole had to be drilled out :shock:

Ohhh and change the clutch mate, even if it looks wonderful its well worth doing at this stage for peace of mind while the engines out, presumably you will be having a new oil pump fitted as well ?

Excellent post BTW :wink:
    I'm leaning towards a new clutch tbh, oil pump on order.. as is hoses/bushes/bolts/bearings etc.

Thanks. :thumbup:

R

Brilliant post 8)

I must say I admire your resolve; I'd have been disheartened at the sight of the chassis as seen on page 1. Can I ask which one of the V8s this one is powered by?

Craftsman

cracking thread, i love to see full restoration jobs like this. :thumbleft:
    i shall be keeping an eye on your progress, good work.

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Brilliant post 8)

I must say I admire your resolve; I'd have been disheartened at the sight of the chassis as seen on page 1. Can I ask which one of the V8s this one is powered by?
    Resolve - or stubbornness? :D

Rover V8 4 litre - by far the most reliable option in TVR's IMO.

R

Cool on the rocker covers... on one of my Rover V8s I had them powder coated bright yellow... dont really know why, but they looked amazing back in the car. Cost was a reasonable £10! Well it was 1998 LOL

Watching this with interest,looks like your making great progress.i can see me having to do this to mine eventually,unfortunately my Mini project is taking up workshop space.I have the same radiator in mine and can confirm it makes it run consistently on the temperature front,the chassis is the achilles heel on these cars,i used a galvanising spray on mine after scrubbing off all loose rust,but this just didn't hold up to a winters driving.I've now decided to try and restrict my winter driving to those days off when i just can't resist the urge :D ,and when i'm feeling less lazy i will treat it to some POR15 :)

Craftsman

Excellent thread. I shudder to think how the eventual cost will compare to buying a sorted one from the off, but full credit for taking it on. Best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69
    Watching this with interest,looks like your making great progress.i can see me having to do this to mine eventually,unfortunately my Mini project is taking up workshop space.I have the same radiator in mine and can confirm it makes it run consistently on the temperature front,the chassis is the achilles heel on these cars,i used a galvanising spray on mine after scrubbing off all loose rust,but this just didn't hold up to a winters driving.I've now decided to try and restrict my winter driving to those days off when i just can't resist the urge :D ,and when i'm feeling less lazy i will treat it to some POR15 :)
    That POR15 is something else, I've seen a 180k Chimaera that had it applied at 112k and it's held up completely. 8)

Yesterday the first of the outriggers was completed and then chassis offered back up to the body to check for alignment, no pics as it was too cold!

Today the the rocker covers and plenum were finished off:

And just a reminder of before:

Tomorrow I'm off abroad, but whilst I'm away the chassis will be sent for shot-blasting, then galvanised & finally painted and hopefully back in time for my return for the reassembly.
    Quote Originally Posted by minimoog
    I shudder to think how the eventual cost will compare to buying a sorted one from the off....
    Yep, the costs mount up, but it'll be exactly how I want it, come the completion. :wink:

R

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Great work. I rember starting to redo my Stag that seriously, before the enthusiasm wained and i sold a pile of rust (like most Stags!)

That is really impressive work, I personally wouldnt know where to start with such a project. Its going to be a real work of art when she's finished

Good work Ralphy.

Helped a mate do a similar thing with his Chimp (partial body lift and outrigger re-furb) - big job but well worth it.

God I miss my Griff :(

My fave pic so far! :D

Ive been cleaning my bike parts in the dishwasher... its the only Miele appliance we have (came with the house!), so theyre coming out clean as a whistle! :D

Wow, brilliant thread and it will be amazing to see the finished article.

Back from a trip abroad and update as follows:

Chassis has now had new outriggers welded in and has gone off for the next stage: bead-blasting, then cold zinc process followed by two-pack paint (white, as per original spec). The decision was made to go with the cold zinc (in preference to hot) as I've decided on having the internal tubing drilled, filled with Waxoyl and then sealed. Originally the hot process was the more attractive, but a probe inspection of the internal tubing revealed a complete absence of deterioration, so rather than risk the potential for chassis distortion and subsequent re-alignment we'll stick with the cold zinc. I hope to get some pics of the chassis undergoing its treatment shortly.

Meanwhile, the rocker covers are back on and the engine painted:

The gearbox has been repainted:

And the diff likewise:

Nothing in the drive-chain appears to need attention, the thrust-bearing is being refreshed but there is so much left on the clutch plate that I see no point in replacing it right now.

I'll refurb the wheels over the weekend and I'm hoping the chassis will be back before the Christmas break; it will be good to get the car to a rolling chassis stage as I intend doing some additional refurb work over the holiday - the lure of a cold garage rather outweighs the usual lolling around, eating & drinking and putting up with relatives that I could happily strangle. :wink:

R

Lookin' good Ralph, I'm enjoying this thread! :)
    F.T.F.A.