closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baylor "Aquaplunge"

Baylor "Aquaplunge"

Got this off the 'bay and sent it straight to Watchworks (ATG's preferred watch fixers) for a service. Now it's back. Arrived this morning... Just a teaser, really. I'll post proper pics and a full write-up in due course... but I did say in a couple of other threads that I'd post pictures when it finally turned up!

Lovely case and dome to these. Friction bezel, painted numerals in red (minute markers) and black (five minute markers). "T Swiss Made T" marked dial. Trit hands.

450 feet / 150m.

And similar case to a host of others, including the Rotary Aquaplunge, Le Phare and Lator 17 Jewel, Aquastars and even quite similar to the Squale Fiddy ATM...

M

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Baylor "Aquaplunge"

very nice 8) 8)

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    very nice 8) 8)
    Cheers mate. Nice of you to say so.

Don't normally wear divers on leather straps, but this racing leather just seems so *right*. It's been suggested I throw it on a NATO, but that seems a bit of shame...

M

Absolutely lovely 8) , did GQ not have one of these at some point ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    GQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    GQ?

Sorry , Granitequarry, I'm probably just imagining it but I've see one of these before but can't quite remember
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

GQ?

Sorry , Granitequarry, I'm probably just imagining it but I've see one of these before but can't quite remember
    If he's got a Baylor, it's not coming up on the search I did before posting. Hmm. There are plenty of similar models, as I mentioned. It's quite a classic-looking case, dial layout, etc, and was used by Aquastar with their Deepstar, Le Phare and Lator with a 17 jewel incabloc model, Rotary with their Aquaplunge, and this Baylor. I'm not actually sure who manufactured the Baylor - could be any of the above (excluding Aquastar). But it'll join my JLC Barracuda-stlye and other Baylor divers.

Got the same one but with 'Lator' on the dial. Needs a balance though :( Think they all have a Landeron 248 engine?

Nice!

Baylor was the “private label” house brand of Zales jewelers, headquartered in Dallas Texas. They didn’t manufacture watches in Dallas but did have distribution, service and repair there. Baylor watches were sold exclusively through Zales retailers and were primarily a low priced fashion brand of Swiss mechanical watches. Your example is quite nice quality and not typical of the Baylor watches I remember. I worked at a Zales store while going to college in the late ’70s, and recall most of the Baylor watches being priced at about $100. If I ever saw a Baylor dive watch, it was something I’d never take near the water.

I don’t know the full history of Baylor, but thru the ‘60s and ‘70s Baylor didn’t manufacture watches themselves. Like many other obscure watch names, they used swiss manufacturers to assemble their products. It has also been reported that Baylor would buy stock from Swiss companies during liquidation, and redial/rebrand as Baylor. I’ve also seen a number of co-branded Baylor-Heuer chronographs of different models and vintages, but do not know the full story of this relationship.

Your Baylor is otherwise identical to this Aquaplunge, and I would guess they both came from the same Swiss assembly shop:

Cheers mate!

I have three Baylor divers; it's kind of a thing I have. Hey ho. One is a dual crown like the one you have, the other is slightly more unusual:

Thanks for the pictures of the Aquaplunge.

M

Quote Originally Posted by clayman
    Nice!

Baylor was the “private label” house brand of Zales jewelers, headquartered in Dallas Texas. They didn’t manufacture watches in Dallas but did have distribution, service and repair there. Baylor watches were sold exclusively through Zales retailers and were primarily a low priced fashion brand of Swiss mechanical watches. Your example is quite nice quality and not typical of the Baylor watches I remember. I worked at a Zales store while going to college in the late ’70s, and recall most of the Baylor watches being priced at about $100. If I ever saw a Baylor dive watch, it was something I’d never take near the water.

I don’t know the full history of Baylor, but thru the ‘60s and ‘70s Baylor didn’t manufacture watches themselves. Like many other obscure watch names, they used swiss manufacturers to assemble their products. It has also been reported that Baylor would buy stock from Swiss companies during liquidation, and redial/rebrand as Baylor. I’ve also seen a number of co-branded Baylor-Heuer chronographs of different models and vintages, but do not know the full story of this relationship.

Your Baylor is otherwise identical to this Aquaplunge, and I would guess they both came from the same Swiss assembly shop:

Master

Clays right about the Zales "Baylor" name plenty of info on the web about it. I forget the story but they did get alot of watches from Heuer and they are listed as poorman heuer/good value watches to keep an eye on. Funny thing, Zales is listed as company to not make it through another year and to become a forgotten name.

Cheers mate!

I have three Baylor divers; it's kind of a thing I have. Hey ho. One is a dual crown like the one you have, the other is slightly more unusual:

Thanks for the pictures of the Aquaplunge.

M
    That's a great looking watch too! Late '60s? I've tried to collect a few Baylors (having found only one) but they are so rarely seen. The few that do appear are always interesting watches like yours. Back in the day Zales was the largest jewelry retailer in the world and had a store in every shopping mall across the land. I know they sold a sh*t-load of Baylor watches over the years.

That's a nice piece. :)

I've had the Aquaplunge and Lator version (I would imagine the Lator to be the most numerous of the gang)

I always like the hand styles on these and as somebody said Landeron 148/248 inside.

I don't think Baylor was sold in the UK Zales or you would see many more of them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    That's a nice piece. :)

I've had the Aquaplunge and Lator version (I would imagine the Lator to be the most numerous of the gang)

I always like the hand styles on these and as somebody said Landeron 148/248 inside.

I don't think Baylor was sold in the UK Zales or you would see many more of them.
    Thanks Neil. I only have three Baylor divers at present - although always on the lookout. Obviously the Heuer is the one to get, but these are cheap, cheerful and rather charming.

M

Here's my Lator to add to the thread - brilliant handset and dial - very well designed I'd always thought.

Master

Here's a nice looking example it's been on the bay for months for the same price. I think it is a good price for what it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Baylor-Chronograph- ... 335c3ea7c5

looks lovely... and no dont put it on a nato - dont know what narrow minded idiot suggested that... :) looks great on the racing strap!

They (anyway the Rotary Aquaplunge) can also be with Landeron 154 (14" against the 13,75" of 48 and 148 - but otherwise very similar

br