closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oris TT1 vs Omega seamaster pro

Journeyman

Oris TT1 vs Omega seamaster pro

I'm after my first 'proper' watch for my 30th birthday. Its going to be my daily wearer as well as something I would like to keep for a long time. I like a variety of watches but have managed to narrow it down to the above 2 mentioned watches. My budget ideally is upto £500, but could push to £800 if required.

Would prefer auto, although I know it might be a struggle to get a SMP for that. So any other suggestions of watches i might like I might like? Can anyone who owns a TT1 or SMP tell me what they are like?

This has caught my eye;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUGE-44mm-Oris-TT ... 19c191ff0f

However, is it really huge in comparison to most normal sized watches as the advert states?

Sorry in advance for my non technical watch talk, but I am a watch virgin so go easy on me please!

Re: Oris TT1 vs Omega seamaster pro

You could consider Fortis. I got an Official Cosmonaut Auto for less than your budget from Ebay.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/Fortis/Off ... ch-(FT-015)

It's 39mm which is a good size IMO, although might be a bit small for you?

Used SMP300 if you can stretch the budget - best under £1k watch in the Chronometer category for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by dougair
    You could consider Fortis. I got an Official Cosmonaut Auto for less than your budget from Ebay.

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/Fortis/Off ... ch-(FT-015)

It's 39mm which is a good size IMO, although might be a bit small for you?
    See this is my problem, I dont know if 39mm is too big/small for me? Can I just pop into a jewellers and try a few on without buying, just like a clothes shop? Or is this frowned upon?

I have wasted many a jewelers hour trying on.

Go in with some models in mind though. Don't just ask to try a 38mm watch on.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by stooo

Wild guess, is that a womens size?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by working class
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo

Wild guess, is that a womens size?
    No. I think he means try to appear as though you've an idea what you want and you'll get more help. Rather than appearing like a tyre kicker who's got no intention of buying anything from them.

You shouldn't have any problem trying a few models on, but like others have said, at least have an idea of the type/brand you want to try.

It will then depend what you like and what feels comfortable.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by working class
    I'm after my first 'proper' watch for my 30th birthday. Its going to be my daily wearer as well as something I would like to keep for a long time. I like a variety of watches but have managed to narrow it down to the above 2 mentioned watches. My budget ideally is upto £500, but could push to £800 if required.

Would prefer auto, although I know it might be a struggle to get a SMP for that. So any other suggestions of watches i might like I might like? Can anyone who owns a TT1 or SMP tell me what they are like?

This has caught my eye;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUGE-44mm-Oris-TT ... 19c191ff0f

However, is it really huge in comparison to most normal sized watches as the advert states?

Sorry in advance for my non technical watch talk, but I am a watch virgin so go easy on me please!
    Hi - First off let me say this reply has nothing to do with the Oris TT1 I am currently selling, but I think you should go to a decent watch shop and have a look at the Oris TT1 in the flesh & compare it to the Seamaster - Yes it has a 44mm case but because the case tapers from the bottom to the top it wears more like a 40mm - I think you'd be suprised how small it wears - I have owned a few Seamasters and TT1's and imho the 41mm Seamaster wears very similar to the 44mm Oris TT1 - The quality of Oris is excellent too, especially considering the price compared to the Seamaster - Again imho its only the Omega bracelet that outshines the Oris one & the Oris one is pretty decent - Worth bearing in mind is the difference in the Oris TT1 depending on whether it has a stainless steel case or titanium (the latter being much lighter to wear obviously)
    HTH
    Paul

What size is your wrist? If you could measure it, in olde English feet and inches instead of Roman Catholic centimetres, then we could probably give you a rough idea of what size would suit you best. Let us know which manufacturers you like, and I'm sure that ideas will be forthcoming. Have a look through a few old Friday threads, which will give you plenty of food for thought.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman

[quote=Pro Tempore]
    Quote Originally Posted by working class":1bsvxdsf]I'm after my first 'proper' watch for my 30th birthday. Its going to be my daily wearer as well as something I would like to keep for a long time. I like a variety of watches but have managed to narrow it down to the above 2 mentioned watches. My budget ideally is upto £500, but could push to £800 if required.

This has caught my eye;

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUGE-44mm-Oris-TT1-Divers-Automatic-Case-Ref-7533-/110621753103?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWa tches_GL&hash=item19c191ff0f
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUGE-44mm-Oris-TT ... 19c191ff0f[/url]

Hi - First off let me say this reply has nothing to do with the Oris TT1 I am currently selling, but I think you should go to a decent watch shop and have a look at the Oris TT1 in the flesh & compare it to the Seamaster - Yes it has a 44mm case but because the case tapers from the bottom to the top it wears more like a 40mm - I think you'd be suprised how small it wears - I have owned a few Seamasters and TT1's and imho the 41mm Seamaster wears very similar to the 44mm Oris TT1 - The quality of Oris is excellent too, especially considering the price compared to the Seamaster - Again imho its only the Omega bracelet that outshines the Oris one & the Oris one is pretty decent - Worth bearing in mind is the difference in the Oris TT1 depending on whether it has a stainless steel case or titanium (the latter being much lighter to wear obviously)
    HTH
    Paul[/quote:1bsvxdsf]

Thats brilliant. Thank you for the advice, I shall have to find a jewelers by me that stocks them and pop in.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    What size is your wrist? If you could measure it, in olde English feet and inches instead of Roman Catholic centimetres, then we could probably give you a rough idea of what size would suit you best. Let us know which manufacturers you like, and I'm sure that ideas will be forthcoming. Have a look through a few old Friday threads, which will give you plenty of food for thought.

Regards

Ian
    Hi Ian. I can measure my wrist but I cant do this until saturday as I am away from home at the moment in Milton Keynes and don't have a tape measure with me! I'll post back then with the measurement if thats OK?