closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Omega 53

My Omega 53

A couple of quick snaps of my Omega 53 :)

I have noticed people on here like pictures, and as I type slowly with speeling and grandma errors, I think the photographs are a better idea than my written descriptions :wink:

And I hope you like this one.

Nigel

Master

Re: My Omega 53

Nice watch and good pics- esp. the second- 'explosive' :P :lol:

It looks in v.g. condition.

Best regards,

AP.

The watch looks mint. Have the hands and dial been re-lumed at any point as there is hardly any discolouration or are they all original.

I thought the "rubber bullet" pictured above was discontinued in 1972 and replaced with the harder cylindrical one about the size of a D cell battery?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Not the original Omega dial, could be a MOD replacement. Doesn't look like the original crown either.

Here is what the original looks like
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msnwatc...7607934511655/

Nice watch though.

Journeyman

Stunning

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I thought the "rubber bullet" pictured above was discontinued in 1972 and replaced with the harder cylindrical one about the size of a D cell battery?

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

The L2A2 Baton Round ("Baton" as in Truncheon, as it was seen as a long range Truncheon!) was developed for use in NI, it replaced an earlier version that was made of Wood (1" Diameter Teak) that was fairly destructive :!: It (the L2A2) was introduced in 1970 and remained in use until 1974.Both early rounds (the wooden one and L2A2) were designed to be "skip fired", that is fired at the ground with the intention of skipping off the ground and hitting rioters in the legs. Not very accurate is possibly the best way of describing a Baton round that has been "Skip Fired", better accuracy could be attained by "direct fire" (straight at the intended victim) but this resulted in some severe injuries and worse. The PVC covered one you refer to (L3A1) came along in 1973, it was shorter, lighter and more accurate, it was to be used together with the L2A2 as it had a greater range, it was designed to be fired directly at the victim and at short range inflicted worse damage.

L2A2 Riot Round is 150mm long, 35mm Diameter and weighs 140 grams that is quite a lump! (over 55,000 of these were fired in NI between 1970 and 1974).

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel
    Not the original Omega dial, could be a MOD replacement. Doesn't look like the original crown either.

Here is what the original looks like
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msnwatc...7607934511655/

Nice watch though.

It is an MOD refinished dial, the MOD decided that Radium was perhaps a bit "iffy" safety wise so refinished most of it's stock with Tritium. The majority of 53 pattern watches that survive are of the MOD refinished type. Very few of the Radium dial watches exist due to this work done by the MOD.

Some 53 patten watches look like they have an original Radium dial, but in fact have a later replacement from Bienne.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by ratty

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

The L2A2 Baton Round ("Baton" as in Truncheon, as it was seen as a long range Truncheon!) was developed for use in NI, it replaced an earlier version that was made of Wood (1" Diameter Teak) that was fairly destructive :!: It (the L2A2) was introduced in 1970 and remained in use until 1974.Both early rounds (the wooden one and L2A2) were designed to be "skip fired", that is fired at the ground with the intention of skipping off the ground and hitting rioters in the legs. Not very accurate is possibly the best way of describing a Baton round that has been "Skip Fired", better accuracy could be attained by "direct fire" (straight at the intended victim) but this resulted in some severe injuries and worse. The PVC covered one you refer to (L3A1) came along in 1973, it was shorter, lighter and more accurate, it was to be used together with the L2A2 as it had a greater range, it was designed to be fired directly at the victim and at short range inflicted worse damage.

L2A2 Riot Round is 150mm long, 35mm Diameter and weighs 140 grams that is quite a lump! (over 55,000 of these were fired in NI between 1970 and 1974).

Nigel
    The L3A1 was used in August 1972 because although I was the chief clerk, there were no drivers available one Sunday afternoon and I (foolishly) volunteered to drive the QM to a riot scene where one of our patrols was penned down in a cul-de-sac and had run out of L2A2, live rounds were the only option.

The Land Rover I drove had been cannibalised for spares and had no windows or doors but the objective was to get baton rounds to the patrol. We were holding the brigade stock for the new L3A1 and had no more L2A2, so the L3A1 was used. I believe this was the first time that it was used in NI, albeit unofficially.

We were pelted with house bricks during our run down the cul-de-sac, and this reminded me of the old saying "never volunteer for anything" :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by ratty

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

Nigel
    The L3A1 was used in August 1972 because although I was the chief clerk, there were no drivers available one Sunday afternoon and I (foolishly) volunteered to drive the QM to a riot scene where one of our patrols was penned down in a cul-de-sac and had run out of L2A2, live rounds were the only option.

The Land Rover I drove had been cannibalised for spares and had no windows or doors but the objective was to get baton rounds to the patrol. We were holding the brigade stock for the new L3A1 and had no more L2A2, so the L3A1 was used. I believe this was the first time that it was used in NI, albeit unofficially.

We were pelted with house bricks during our run down the cul-de-sac, and this reminded me of the old saying "never volunteer for anything" :wink: .

Eddie
    My first tour was not until 88 but i did have fun using the 45grain round for opening doors as opposed to the 25grain used in civil dissorder, The 45 grain did had the down side of ricocheting back off any hard wall behind the door it had just opened and heading back at you.

The baton round was so like the D cell battery that when we had blanks in training for riots D Cell batterys used to find them self mussel loaded , I think the wort riot i was ever in was with the CIVPOP in tin city!

Oh nice watch as well

Banned

CIVPOP in tin city!

thankfully i managed to skip that,it got a bit heated at times

That reminds me of when we used to be rent-a-mob for the Met Police at Hounslow West (we also used to do quite a bit of cross-training with their Search Wing who were co-located). I can remember the relish which some of our lot would bring to their work.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    That reminds me of when we used to be rent-a-mob for the Met Police at Hounslow West (we also used to do quite a bit of cross-training with their Search Wing who were co-located). I can remember the relish which some of our lot would bring to their work.
    Strange that, most squadies find every way to avoid putting effort in but you ask them to be rent a mob for a riot!!!!!

you never saw such aggression outside of actualy fighting for real

[/quote]

Eddie[/quote]

Thank you Eddie :D
    I knew the L3A1 was developed in 1972 but it's use so far as I have found started in 1973, anecdotes such as yours (first hand straight from the horses mouth as it were) are priceless to those of us with an interest in our recent history.

Nigel

Nice looking omega that