closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Newbie here

Hey, Newbie here

Firstly, to you all, my first post here and im looking for some advice.

Im in the market for my first PROPER watch, i know what i like when i see it and have decided Breitling are the watches for me, nothing too blingy and covered in diamonds etc

Below are 2 watches that have caught my eye so far and i would welcome people's expert opinions.

Some questions too, how does servicing work, battery changes etc work on these sort of watches.

Sorry for the questions, i am a COMPLETE WATCH novice.

Thx for reading

WATCH ONE (an older model i believe)

WATCH TWO (2010 limited edition)

Master

Re: Hey, Newbie here

Hi... welcome. :mrgreen:

Good choice Breitling - love them myself.

Titanium or not? Chrono or not? Plenty to choose from if you narrow it down.

Excuse my utter ignorance but what is Chrono, as i mentioned i know SOD ALL re watches except "ooh that looks nice"

Hello and welcome!

Both great choices, I prefer the second one. Both these don't need battery to operate, so you don't have to worry about battery changes. They are mechanical watches that operate with the movement of your hand as you wear them. They will need servicing after a few years of wearing. Any experienced watch technician can service them, but you can always send them back to the authorized service points, which is safer but more expensive. Enjoy!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PROPER WATCH VIRGIN
    Excuse my utter ignorance but what is Chrono, as i mentioned i know SOD ALL re watches except "ooh that looks nice"
    See the smaller sub dials??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28
    Hello and welcome!

Both great choices, I prefer the second one. Both these don't need battery to operate, so you don't have to worry about battery changes. They are mechanical watches that operate with the movement of your hand as you wear them. They will need servicing after a few years of wearing. Any experienced watch technician can service them, but you can always send them back to the authorized service points, which is safer but more expensive. Enjoy!
    Ah i see, are most Breitlings non battery watches then???

Thx for the welcome..............................

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    See the smaller sub dials??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronograph
    Ah ok im with you................. 8)

Craftsman

hello and welcome to tz. im no expert myself.... like you, i like what i like and go for them. :D

Hello and welcome to you :cheers:

I see you like busy dials :drunken:

Welcome young padowan, the path to WISdom is fraught with danger but, fear not, you have many as your guide. If your horological knowledge is comparable in size to a postage stamp, a BASIC introduction can be had here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch

The boss has a nice glossary on the Time Factors site:

http://www.timefactors.com/glossary.htm

Any abbreviations you don't understand:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64394

There are no stupid question but be prepared for stupid answers. You are welcome here but ensure your cards are cut up and pockets stitched tight! :roll:

Master
    Blog Entries

Welcome and don't be in a rush to lose your virginity.

There is sooooo much choice, don't look at only the one brand. Try and develop a short list of features you like and whether you want quartz or mechanical to start things off.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by jim410
    hello and welcome to tz. im no expert myself.... like you, i like what i like and go for them. :D
    Yeah, exactly. Thx for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by kiki-picasso
    Hello and welcome to you :cheers:

I see you like busy dials :drunken:
    Hehe, yep!!

Grand Master

Hello/Welcome .. Breitling are great watch, although they do tend to galvanise opinion! As for me I love 'em & have had a few & still have two .. but decide what you're looking for - chronograph, non-chronograph, pilot, diver, ease of changing bracelet to strap, size, weight, then pay a visit to an AD & try a few on .. the chase is always fun!

Both these don't need battery to operate, so you don't have to worry about battery changes.
    I'm sure the 2nd watch does require a battery, cannot think of any mechanical chronographs with that dial layout - but happy to be proved wrong .. although I'm sure that is the Breitling Black Steel Sea Wolf Chrono Avenger Superquartz ..
    /vince ..

[quote=Spencer Lee][quote="PROPER WATCH VIRGIN":rur3fija]Excuse my utter ignorance but what is Chrono, as i mentioned i know SOD ALL re watches except "ooh that looks nice" [/quote]

Welcome young padowan, the path to [b]WIS[/b]dom is fraught with danger but, fear not, you have many as your guide. If your horological knowledge is comparable in size to a postage stamp, a BASIC introduction can be had here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch[/url]

There are no stupid question but be prepared for stupid answers. You are welcome here but ensure your cards are cut up and pockets stitched tight! :roll:[/quote:rur3fija]

Thx mate!!!

The second one is this (http://www.officialwatches.co.uk/breitl ... m73390/676) one!

What does quartz mean????

[quote=PROPER WATCH VIRGIN][quote="Spencer Lee":2a2tldt9][quote="PROPER WATCH VIRGIN":2a2tldt9]Excuse my utter ignorance but what is Chrono, as i mentioned i know SOD ALL re watches except "ooh that looks nice" [/quote]

Welcome young padowan, the path to [b]WIS[/b]dom is fraught with danger but, fear not, you have many as your guide. If your horological knowledge is comparable in size to a postage stamp, a BASIC introduction can be had here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch[/url]

There are no stupid question but be prepared for stupid answers. You are welcome here but ensure your cards are cut up and pockets stitched tight! :roll:[/quote:2a2tldt9]

Thx mate!!![/quote:2a2tldt9]

Just amended that post, may want to take a look! :wink:

Thx for that................... :bounce:

Hello and welcome!

Ah i see, are most Breitlings non battery watches then???

Thx for the welcome..............................
    Yes most Breitlings are non battery watches, but there are some models that need battery.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Hello/Welcome .. Breitling are great watch, although they do tend to galvanise opinion! As for me I love 'em & have had a few & still have two .. but decide what you're looking for - chronograph, non-chronograph, pilot, diver, ease of changing bracelet to strap, size, weight, then pay a visit to an AD & try a few on .. the chase is always fun!

Both these don't need battery to operate, so you don't have to worry about battery changes.
    I'm sure the 2nd watch does require a battery, cannot think of any mechanical chronographs with that dial layout - but happy to be proved wrong .. although I'm sure that is the Breitling Black Steel Sea Wolf Chrono Avenger Superquartz ..
    Ooops, you are right, the "officially certified" on the dial tricked me.

Quartz watch = non battery watch??

Kinetic energy powering it or the force of the moon???

Im learning....................

The second one is this (http://www.officialwatches.co.uk/breitl ... m73390/676) one!

What does quartz mean????
    That it needs a battery

Master

Quartz watch = non battery watch??

Kinetic energy powering it or the force of the moon???

Im learning....................
    Quartz is battery.

Automatic is not battery... google automatic watch and have a read. :)

Oh god this is confusing

Quartz - needs battery

Are they both battery then??

What am i looking at to get a battery changed then, all these things need to be considered.................

Sorry to be sounding sooooo stupid!!!!

Oh god this is confusing

Quartz - needs battery

Are they both battery then??

What am i looking at to get a battery changed then, all these things need to be considered.................

Sorry to be sounding sooooo stupid!!!!

READ THE ***KING GLOSSARY THEN!!! :wink: :)

I have been, CHILL OUT

Its all new to me!!

Hi.
    What is your budget?
    When I first started looking at watches I wasn't bothered whether it was battery or mechanical. Now I couldn't bring myself to buy a quartz.

Probably 4k

Master

I'd consider buying something much cheaper first... dropping 4K on a watch and then deciding that watches aren't your thing could lead to a hell of a loss...

Also, quartz = battery, automatic in its most simple of terms means that it powers itself based on you moving around and does not need a battery.

An automatic or self-winding watch is a mechanical watch, whose mainspring is wound automatically by the natural motion of the wearer's arm, providing energy to run the watch, to make it unnecessary to manually wind the watch. Most mechanical watches sold today are self-winding.

4K is the top money, the first watch is posted i have seen 'used' for 2K, btw why is the crown on the left of the watch, seems unusual to me, is it a left handed watch LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    I'd consider buying something much cheaper first... dropping 4K on a watch and then deciding that watches aren't your thing could lead to a hell of a loss...
    I totally agree! And I wouldn't spend more than a grand on a quartz watch.

Probably 4k
    Thats a nice amount to have to spend bud but it'd be easy to 'blow your beans' on a watch you find you don't like! My advice to you would be to go round your local town or city this weekend WITHOUT YOUR CARDS! Look at as many watches as you can. Try them on and ask plenty of questions. Find out the size and style that suits you. Small watches (36mm-39mm) medium (39mm to 42mm) large watches (42mm and above) all feel different to different people. Recognise the size that works for you and your wrist. Pilots watches (Chronographs?) Diver/Tool watches (rotating bezel) or a mix of the two? GMT, Tourbillion, Dress watch, there are loads. Quartz or auto (generally speaking, auto's hold their values better, or rather, depreciate at a slower rate). Leather, rubber or bracelet?

When you've identified the watch you like, you could negotiate a discount OR access sales corner here where you will find a plethora of 'pre-loved' pieces at a fraction of the price, your choice. There is also the option of buying a couple of lower priced examples (Omega Seamaster Auto full sized can be between £750- £1000 on SC, compared to a new one for £2000+) so you can rotate or spunk the lot on a big, expensive piece your terrified of wearing! :wink:

All very good advise guys, i appreciate ur time (no pun intended)

Its not something im going to do quickly but research is required clearly!!!

You know what its like, saw those 2 and fell in love!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

:salute: welcome!

Cheers

Master

Hi and welcome mate - love the 1st Breitling...very cool. :wink:

Craftsman

[quote=Spencer Lee]
    Quote Originally Posted by "PROPER WATCH VIRGIN":234avyip
    Probably 4k
    Thats a nice amount to have to spend bud but it'd be easy to 'blow your beans' on a watch you find you don't like! My advice to you would be to go round your local town or city this weekend WITHOUT YOUR CARDS! Look at as many watches as you can. Try them on and ask plenty of questions. Find out the size and style that suits you. Small watches (36mm-39mm) medium (39mm to 42mm) large watches (42mm and above) all feel different to different people. Recognise the size that works for you and your wrist. Pilots watches (Chronographs?) Diver/Tool watches (rotating bezel) or a mix of the two? GMT, Tourbillion, Dress watch, there are loads. Quartz or auto (generally speaking, auto's hold their values better, or rather, depreciate at a slower rate). Leather, rubber or bracelet?

When you've identified the watch you like, you could negotiate a discount OR access sales corner here where you will find a plethora of 'pre-loved' pieces at a fraction of the price, your choice. There is also the option of buying a couple of lower priced examples (Omega Seamaster Auto full sized can be between £750- £1000 on SC, compared to a new one for £2000+) so you can rotate or spunk the lot on a big, expensive piece your terrified of wearing! :wink:[/quote:234avyip]

agreed, if i had 4k to spend i would buy something special on sc and buy a few cheaper pieces too.
    plenty of good vfm (value for money) watches out there.

Hi :wave:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Thx for the kind welcomes guys.

Gotta go to dreaded Bluewater over the weekend so will have a better look then, Ernest Jones & Goldsmiths i think??

Master

:wave: Hi,

Gotta go to dreaded Bluewater over the weekend so will have a better look then, Ernest Jones & Goldsmiths i think??
    Make sure you haggle hard if your going down the high street route.

May I ask how you came across TZ?
    I'd recommend one of Eddies (Click return to Time Factors at the top of the page) as a first nice watch but then I like simple uncluttered dials mostly.
    You could probably buy the whole collection for £4k.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    :wave: Hi,

COMPARED TO GOING TO??

May I ask how you came across TZ?

THE FORUM WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME

I'd recommend one of Eddies (Click return to Time Factors at the top of the page) as a first nice watch but then I like simple uncluttered dials mostly.
    You could probably buy the whole collection for £4k.

COMPARED TO GOING TO??
    [/quote]

Internet shopping. eBay, forum Sales Corner. Make sure they are aware that you are aware of the financial climate, 'good deals', sweetners, free servicings, discounts and the fact that a better price is just a keyboard away. Yes, they have overheads but make them work for their money. I would'nt buy on the first trip anyway (easier said than done!). :wink:

OP - seriously, don't spend 4k on your first watch. Spend 2k, and then use the other 2k to build up a small collection of interesting watches.

Also, why not buy from Sales Corner? You've joined a community here, and as much as possible we try to keep watches within that community. 2k will get you something very nice, and Breitlings come up often.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by "PROPER WATCH VIRGIN":3a1iuet6

COMPARED TO GOING TO??
    [/quote:3a1iuet6]

Internet shopping. eBay, forum Sales Corner. Make sure they are aware that you are aware of the financial climate, 'good deals', sweetners, free servicings, discounts and the fact that a better price is just a keyboard away. Yes, they have overheads but make them work for their money. I would'nt buy on the first trip anyway (easier said than done!). :wink:
    Cheers Spence, beat me to it.

OP seriously consider 2nd hand and if it isn't right you can always flip it for minimal loss.
    There's so many things to consider, size, readability, etc...

There was a nice Ti Brietling on SC this morning.

Howdy there Virgin and welcome :D

I'll have to agree with the others - take your time and don't buy anything too expensive yet :wink:

Cheers

Stern

Particularly with the 2nd watch i posted being limited edition (2000 worldwide) im gonna be struggling to find one but generally i would use high st to try things on then use the internet for the deals.

Anyone have any experience of these guys > http://www.officialwatches.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    OP - seriously, don't spend 4k on your first watch. Spend 2k, and then use the other 2k to build up a small collection of interesting watches.

Also, why not buy from Sales Corner? You've joined a community here, and as much as possible we try to keep watches within that community. 2k will get you something very nice, and Breitlings come up often.
    I take your point but i want one 'special' watch not a collection!!!

Plus the 4k limit is there because of the Blacksteel Limited Edition on page one!

I take your point but i want one 'special' watch not a collection!!!

Hahahahaha!

Do you have any idea how many times we have heard that?

It doesn't work like that. :D

Now you have found this place there will be no going back. Already the damage is done. You might think you just want "one special watch", but you will never stop at that.... never!

:D :D :D
    So clever my foot fell off.

Ok i will hold you all responsible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master

You have 4 large to spend on a watch?
    You know nothing about watches?

I think you're prime Rolex fodder. :lol: :lol: