timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Traxxas R/C Cars

Banned
    Blog Entries

Traxxas R/C Cars

On a complete whim I have just bought one of these -

http://www.modelrcshop.co.uk/products/1615.htm

as a "joint" Xmas pressie for the 12 year old son and me (at least that's what I told his mum :wink: ).

Should be fun.

Re: Traxxas R/C Cars

40+ mph in standard trim, oh yes that is cool.. :D ..part of the fun of shopping for toys for the younger male family members is indeed making sure some of the purchases will require suitable "adult supervision"..!

Master
    Blog Entries

I have been toying with the idea of buying an RC car for a while now, sadly I don't think there are many places in SE Kent to used them.

Master

Looks like fun :D I have a few cars, got a 1/10 nitro road car, an old Tamiya clodbuster monster truck which is great fun, and a stadium truck like the one you have bought. They are immense fun, launching it off ramps etc at vast speeds :lol:

Journeyman

Craftsman

40+ mph is good for a standard kit, but dont get hooked or you will need one of these = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJUY-_Gk ... re=related
    watch from 1 min 52 secs.
    these do 80mph! :shock: :D

Journeyman

good fun...

and electric is free of a lot of the hassles.

add some of the stronger batteries and you will be set. My son and I have a similar and two of the smaller size....we throw them in the car and find a field or parking lot and kill a few hours.

:bounce:

..ps.. wife thinks I have a screw loose. screw her.

Master

These things are great fun, but with only one car, you'll soon get bored. Get one each, then you can race. Even better, find a local RC club.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice; and all part of the plan. :wink: Also, I understand Bristol now has a new indoor dirt track.
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    These things are great fun, but with only one car, you'll soon get bored. Get one each, then you can race. Even better, find a local RC club.

Master

Indoor dirt track sounds great! Our club can only race outdoors in the spring/summer - we have a mixed-surface track at the back of a local cricket club.
    In the autumn and winter, we have to race indoors in a large school hall, on carpet.

Link to our club's website (I'm the chairman, for my sins!) http://www.wcrccc.co.uk/

Banned
    Blog Entries

This could get expensive, but if the Traxxas becomes more mine than his :wink: , what car would you recommend for a 12 year old, budget say £100-150, to run against it? Grateful for any guidance. Thanks.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks

Master

I'd suggest seeing what they run at the local club, and buying something suitable for racing later. Most clubs seem to have members with spare kit for sale at better prices than eBay.
    For off-road racing, you can't beat a 2wd buggy, such as the Associated B4, or the new Schumacher Cougar if you are feeling flush. AFAIK, this is still the most popular class for off-road electric racing. The Cougar is a better buggy, in the right hands, but it's fragile in comparison to the B4. The latest spec B4 RTR is a decent car for the money. The B4 Factory Team is better, but will cost you a lot more by the time you've bought the electrics. For a 12 year old, the RTR should be plenty fast enough as a first car.

Racing 2wd will teach better car control. 4wd is just too easy with "stock" motors, plus there's more to go wrong.

I've enjoyed RC cars all of my life - from the Tamiyas of the 80's to 1/5 scale madness. Heres my current 3 with a 2 year old for scale!!

Highly recommend the Associated RC10 (middle one) as a fun machine. Easily runs alongside nitro models with arguably better acceleration. The little one... is a belter. Team Losi "Micro T" - all year round fun in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jim410
    40+ mph is good for a standard kit, but dont get hooked or you will need one of these = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJUY-_Gk ... re=related
    watch from 1 min 52 secs.
    these do 80mph! :shock: :D
    :shock: I wouldn't fancy one of those striking my ankle at full pelt...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argon

:shock: I wouldn't fancy one of those striking my ankle at full pelt...
    Been there, done that. Got hit at one of our indoor meetings by a 1/10th touring car on the fastest part of the track while marshalling. No broken bones, but I was off work for 3 days, and limping for a month