closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Master

Am I being unreasonable?

I test drove an XC60 the other day and liked it, so I emailed the sales guy to see if I could have another test drive, this time with my wife as some cars give her motion sickness. This is the reply I got:

Thank you for your email. I will be happy to provide another test drive however I want to ensure we get to an agreeable price before we do any more work as I may spend all this time with you and you purchase from another source?
    Now, I admit I have made it clear from the outset I will shop around for the best deal but surely you have to be in it to win it?

I haven't replied as yet but I'm finding it hard to resist the temptation to tell him to eff off (cc dealer principal). There are after all at least a dozen dealers within an hour's drive I could use instead I would guess.

So, am I being unreasonable wanting two test drives before all the faff of haglling for deals?

Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    I haven't replied as yet but I'm finding it hard to resist the temptation to tell him to eff off (cc dealer principal).
    That's what I'd do.

Fookin salesmen! :D

Maybe a bit pushy, but he's probably sick of people test driving cars then buying from a broker on the internet. That's what I did :D

Craftsman

sounds reasonable if you had a decent test drive first time round

Not at all, remember the customer is king :wink: Ring round the other local dealerships and see what responce you get from them
    and if possible their best price.

Then call up the original dealership and ask them if they can match your best offer, if they say no, then tell em to eff off :wink:

Failing that go over the sales bods head straight to the Dealer Principle and ask his view on the email, I bet he'll have you in for a chat in a flash.

Good luck.

B.

Master

No you're not being unreasonable. Nor is the salesman I don't think.

One of you has to "give".

However, I'd be going in and asking one of the other salesmen for a test drive. :wink:

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Like he said above,customer is king.
    Far as i'm concerned i will take as many test drives as i feel neccessary to make a decision...and if the salesman cant be fagged then its his commission gone.

I'd tell him to jog on.

Cars are 2 a penny and in this climate it's a buyers market

So this car is how much? £30k or so? He should be bending over backwards to sell his car and dealership to you. Even if you don't buy the car from him it's still a Volvo and will need servicing and it's still a huge purchase for you and you need to get it right. I suspect Volvo would be incredibly annoyed to find that because of the attitude of your local dealer you're going to be buying something else from, say a BMW dealer, because their local dealer has a good attitude and the Volvo one doesn't. That's outrageous behaviour, especially since you're obviously serious about buying it, or you wouldn't want to go back with your wife. And if you want to shop around and see if they can match the price then that's what any sane person would do and they shouldn't have a problem with it. Excellent PR!
    "A man of little significance"

Welcome to Britain, where the customer is always regarded as a maggot not worthy of attention,,,

I give my customers the best service I possibly can, as I want to improve my business by word of mouth, the best advertising you can get in my line. But I work for myself :)

Master

I would politely email back and say "I don't feel it's appropriate to negotiate a price until I've decided for sure the Volvo is the car I want and finalised with my wife what options I may want to order it with, or indeed select one you may have in stock"

The guy has been on a sales course where he's been told to 'qualify the buyer' and just doing his job - as are you.

I have a little sympathy for the salesman. He's already provided the test drive. In days gone by the 2nd test drive was normally the make or break of "his" car against the competition. Nowadays, all to often, people will get the dealer to do all of the work and then go to a broker. From the salesman's point of view he "sold" you the car ( on a features and benefits basis) and because he can't match the last few quid on price he loses the sale.
    Place yourself in his position. If you'd worked you butt off to sell the product and then your customer bought it somewhere else you'd be a little bit upset. Not to mention that the dealership is a business with overheads. They are not paid to display the cars by the car maker. (Mind I can see this happening - think what will happen if dealers disappear because they can't make any money!)

The guys question is designed to both qualify you as a prospect and to find out if you plan to by off of t'internet. That's all. Why not just give him an honest answer.

Grand Master

Tell him to sit tight behind his desk and await your reply until you have test driven a few other cars at other dealers.

Master
    Blog Entries

I would reply to his e-mail in the same way as others had suggested, but would also copy his boss into the email :twisted:

Master

Poor show from the salesman IMO. The fact you want to go back for a second test drive with your partner surely suggests that you're serious and not a 'waster'. I would email back personally saying forget it, pushy tactics have put you off and you're going elsewhere 8)

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I would reply to his e-mail in the same way as others had suggested, but would also copy his boss into the email :twisted:
    +1, I would email back telling him to sod off and without doubt include his boss in the email. what a tw@t, he wouldn't last 5 mins working for me

Go back and kick him swiftly in the slats :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc
    Maybe a bit pushy, but he's probably sick of people test driving cars then buying from a broker on the internet. That's what I did :D
    We get this all the time and it is very annoying. I run a HiFi business and I have over 30 years expertise in audio visual and find it galling when I spend hours of my time system building, demonstrating, offering to wire it up free and spend time showing how it all works etc., only to find he can get it cheaper elsewhere from someone who isn't interested at all in service - so I do have some sympathy with the guy but he was very wrong to tell you that. I wouldn't say that to a customer of mine. People are free to buy where they want - my motto is, 'use us or loose us' :evil:

Rod

This is pretty poor on the part of the sales man.

I work in sales, new vehicles too, and would never have the nerve to send an email in such manner. As others have said, customer is king as without customers the sales man would make little commission and struggle on a low basic salary. Working with commercials, I don't suffer with timewasters often, but you are giving all the buying signals and the sales man here is too daft to see them, but personally I would be accommodating you in any way I can.

With this in mind, if I were you, I would turn up off spec and take the test drive you want (any other sales man there should be willing to help) push for some discount before leaving to 'think about the deal' ie waste their like he has assumed you will. Then, I would take your business elsewhere if you still want to proceed with the purchase. Finally, at this point only send an email, ideally with a photo of your new car, to the sales man in question, copy in the DP and rest assured you will get a reply that is satisfying for you!!

Remember, I am a salesman in a similar role and can't believe the poor service that goes on that give us all a bad reputation. There are good guys out there, so teach the bad ones a lesson. On the other hand, poor service by my peers, means I win more business to buy more watches :D

The pricing process will determine the engine, gearbox, wheel & tyre size option packages.
    All of which will affect the drivability of the car.

So he's just saving himself the option of having to provide you with a 3rd test drive.
    He might be doing you a favour, one way of the other.

Master

It's a simple explanation for that email.
    He didn't send that email....

His wife has access to his email account, so....

It happens...even here, sometimes.... :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    So I do have some sympathy with the guy but he was very wrong to tell you that. I wouldn't say that to a customer of mine.
    I do actually sympathise with him to some degree (although all he's done is take for me for 10 minute (if that) test drive), so fair enough he thinks it, but to actually express it in writing to a customer is what has astonished me.

Craftsman

I would get to an agreeable price just so I can take my second test drive.

Once back from my second test drive I would tell him that the car was not for me.

That is totally sh*tty attitude mate. If you do not mind going to a different dealership I would not even dignify little prick with a reply and when he calls, tell him to eff off.. :evil: if they trying to 'close' you before providing decent service that just shows either incompetence or desperation or perhaps both.. Shop around.

Having said that and if that is a large dealership you can always talk to a different sales guy there, Saturdays usually good since in my experience dealerships rotate staff and more senior sales people will be on site hence better attitude and better discounts to be had :wink:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

I base the following on my own experience of 3 Volvo dealers.

I was looking around for a test drive as I am soon due for a change of company car. The Volvo V70 was on the list and appealed to me so off I went to see my local dealer about 7 miles away. Explained the situation and they were more than happy for me to come back for a test drive which I duly arranged.

Was told that I could have 1/2 an hour in the car on my own which was great as I didn't feel like I had to drive like miss daisy :D . Finished the test drive and said I would get back to them. Meanwhile Volvo UK contacted me and asked if I would like an extended test drive..... it would be rude not to really!

Anyway, agreed with Nicola at my local dealer that I would see whether the lease firm would deal with them. Unfortunately they wouldn't place the order with them :( however Nicola was very understanding and I will be using them for all my servicing especially based on there excellent service thus far.

The other dealer was one in Cardiff who i just popped in to see if they had my spec in stock just so I could see it in the flesh - they didn't unfortunately but the salesman was great and very friendly.

Finally, the supplying dealer based in Sunderland. Obviously there relationship is with the lease company however Michaela has been in touch and kept me up to speed with my cars build, answered loads of questions and even sweetend the deal in order to secure my business :)

Based on my experience I would say there were plenty of Volvo dealers who will go the extra mile so move on to one that will rather than the current one who seems to have some attitude problems.

Paul

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    I'd tell him to jog on.

Cars are 2 a penny and in this climate it's a buyers market
    +1

Don't sweat it, just give the next dealership (or even another salesman at the same dealership) a call!

Grand Master

Ive got two lifelong friends in the motor trade and nothing is moving off forecourts very fast so be strong as a buyer
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Ive got two lifelong friends in the motor trade and nothing is moving off forecourts very fast so be strong as a buyer
    Oh. I was thinking that this salesman must be really really busy, and was simply trying to prioritise his numerous leads. If he isn't actually that busy, then maybe he just can't be arsed to bother trying to sell anything.

I'd would simply email back and say I will only negotiate a price if and when I make a decision to buy the car. It all seems a bit pointless to go through the negotiation process just for you wife to say no as she may hate the car. The salesmen is being way to pushy for my liking, maybe the car is being a bit awkward to shift. My advice is if something doesnt feel right then best to walk away.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Oh. I was thinking that this salesman must be really really busy, and was simply trying to prioritise his numerous leads.
    Probably digging out blind trying to get a sale, if youre in the trade you know how bad its currently haemoraging right now.
    RIAC

its your cash he wants, if he wants it he should try a little harder.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What an idiot. I mean to say it is bad enough; put it in an actual email?!
    Suppose you can bare in mind he's obviously an actual idiot and go back to haggle with him :lol:

I'd def forward the email to someone though, these kind of people drive me nuts.

He obviously thinks you're a time waster.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I recall standing in a model railway store as a lad and listening to a couple talking amongst themselves about how they would do what they had done before...get expert advice from the owner (and enthusiast) and then go to the supermarket toy section to buy the stuff and save a few pounds.

I thought that was awful.

The shop went out of business a couple of years later.

I realise it's not exactly the same thing...but i do get the dealers point.

Craftsman

I used to work in an independent electrical store and used to be able tell people the difference between every type of white good in the shop. I had training at least once a week from various companies. In 2000 the internet started taking over and everyone was price shopping, people came in and asked me what to buy and then went and bought it from an online retailer who slapped £50 across everything and sold it like that.

The shop closed its doors in 2004 and now currys & comet are the only places of that type and their sales people don't even know what's in stock. Their range is dictated by what price they can buy stuff at. All the white goods now seem very similar as well. The thing is, none of it is any cheaper than what I was selling it for. The market has adapted but the service element has gone.

So I do have some sympathy with the guy but he was very wrong to tell you that. I wouldn't say that to a customer of mine.
    I do actually sympathise with him to some degree (although all he's done is take for me for 10 minute (if that) test drive), so fair enough he thinks it, but to actually express it in writing to a customer is what has astonished me.
    You've had 10 minutes of his time. And he feels he has the right to send you that email? Ridiculous.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

lol that is a bit much after a 10min test drive

i should clarify my earlier point...

10 minutes (if that...) that's not a proper test drive.

And could well reflect a poor level of customer service which does not deserve any loyalty or obligation on your part.

Let's be clear here, we're not talking about the sale of a train set or a washing machine! This is a circa £30k item on which there is a couple grand profit on the registration, and possibly the same again on parts and service in future. The sales monkey should be begging for the deal in the current climate :P

Oh, and his dealership could well be a supplier to the discount websites too i.e. stealing sales from other areas, a lot of them do it, let's not forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Let's be clear here, we're not talking about the sale of a train set or a washing machine! This is a circa £30k item on which there is a couple grand profit on the registration, and possibly the same again on parts and service in future. The sales monkey should be begging for the deal in the current climate :P

Oh, and his dealership could well be a supplier to the discount websites too i.e. stealing sales from other areas, a lot of them do it, let's not forget that.
    Spot on. This idiot has clearly never heard of the concept of "Lifetime customer value".

Send a copy of his response to the Dealer principal and copy in the customer service manager at Volvo UK. Very shortly, he (or his replacement) should be all over you.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman

I don't think so.

I went through a similar exercise looking for a volvo about 8 years ago.

I purchased the car through http://www.mountcars.co.uk/ I'm based in London and found the dealers around here odd to deal with. Having specified precisely what I wanted and invited a number of them to offer to supply the vehicle, one of the dealers called to say he would only discuss the price face to face. Needless to say he didn't see me as the whole point of my exercise was to remove the salesmen element from the process. The purchase was made on the criteria of price only. They were Volvo main agents for years but gave it up as the requirements of the franchisor became oppressive, but they still source Volvos.

Paula Windle at Mount was incredibly helpful, the price beat everyone else hands down and the car was delivered to my door.

If you end up with an XC60 I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Good luck.

Bob.

Just to add to my last post the upside of folks internet buying and confronted with 60 odd holes on the back of an A/V amplifier is that sometimes they come in and ask if we'll set the kit up for them - naturally we say of course we will - for a fee :)..... so it can work for us too and make a customer of them.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    No you're not being unreasonable. Nor is the salesman I don't think.

One of you has to "give".

However, I'd be going in and asking one of the other salesmen for a test drive. :wink:

+1 from me.

Having worked in the industry for longer than I care to remember this is, and always will be, an issue. Unfortunately the Salesman maybe thinking out loud via his e-mail so he may as well call you a tyre kicker (or window licker to coin another phrase) and be done with it. Actually communicating it to a customer in this way is poor show and will always end in the comments being offered on here.

Had he done his job properly in the first place, he would know all about you and you would know all about him and the car - and both would have built up enough trust and loyalty to not have this type of conversation come up.

Don't respond at all, go elsewhere, lots of other places sell the same car.
    I bought a car last weekend, I couldn't believe the number of dealers who just ignore you, bought one of a nice bloke who was attentive, helpfull and did a good price.

Agree a deal in principle, go for the drive, then say your wife has to think about it if you don't like it!

The dealer can do one. I looked at a car a few months ago, and the dealer couldn't have been more helpful. I bought it. Says it all really.

Master

Well, as an update, I have ignored his email for now and booked a test drive elsewhere.

Assuming the test drive goes ok, I will start the negotiations on price (and trust me, I know how to play hard-ball with these guys :D ), and will probably bring the dealer back into play as it would be silly not to if they can give me the best deal. And to be fair, I've dealt with them before and they've been quite helpful, so I think it's more the individual than the dealership itself.

Master

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well the test drive I had planned is off as the car has been sold :roll:

I rang Volvo UK, and asked them to arrange a test drive, instructing them *not* to use the first dealer. Guess who rang me :roll: Anyway, it was a different salesman so after some discussion I agreed to do a test drive with him. 15 mins later the salesman who had written the email rang me. Suffice to say the I ended the conversation telling them to shove their test drive.

I rang Volvo UK again and asked them to help, they basically told me to ring round dealers m self as the ones they had tried didn't have a car to drive as they have sold the demonstrators :roll:

I'm afraid at this juncture teddy exited pram stage left :roll:

Very frustrating, I like the car a lot, but it's all starting to seem like too much hard work :evil:

Sounds a ball breaker mate, may as well buy a Ford Focus and be done with it :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

Cheers Si, very helpful as ever :evil:

:lol: :lol: