closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suitcases

Suitcases

Seeing as there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum.

Im after some suitcases ,Is the consensus buy cheap as they get destroyed by baggage handlers or is it worth spending money on?

Thanks

Re: Suitcases

I have a set of lightweight Samsonite suitcases which we got as a wedding present. The last few trips we've been on they have stayed at home though, because even though they are light weight we have travel rucksacks which hold as much and are half the weight again. Since airlines are forever lowering their luggage allowances, the rucksacks let us take more stuff and still keep under weight.

Master
    Blog Entries

I like Antler, although I tend to use Outlet shops [Cheshire Oaks, Springfields etc] so about 30-40% off RRP?

My largest [26"-27"] has survived 2 trips to USA and 1 to Australia - including UK train and tube travel to airports - and so far, look "as new"" apart from staining.

Journeyman

I have a Samsonite fabric one and the missus has a Samsonite plastic one which looks better designed and better put together. One thing I do like about the plastic one is that it has 4 wheels on the bottom end, so as well as pulling it along behind you on an angle, you can also push it along quite easily standing upright. I will definitely be getting a plastic one when I am next in need.

sss

Our plastic Samsonite is 6kg empty.
    So I'm only allowed to put another 14kg into it when packing.

Beware.

We have had soft Samsonite bags for 5 years but with every flight the baggage handlers manage to break a bit more off, culminating in our bags arriving at Venice Airport in December with one of the (very heavily recessed) wheel 'pods' being turned through 90 degrees :(

We replaced both bags with cheap 'hard sided' suitcases (3kg empty, but with zip closures :-( ) which hold the same amount, but have 4 wheels and long handles so are much easier to move.

Total cost €100, funnily enough we found that at least 5 others on the same plane also had damaged bags so maybe the Venetian Baggage Handlers are connected to the numerous Chinese run luggage shops that are appearing all over Venice.

Master

m&s is your only man. Beware Samsonite, I've had a few and they weigh quite a lot even when they're empty, so you quickly exceed baggage allowances.

We gave up using suitcases quite a few years ago. We now use a couple (small and medium) of North Face base camp duffel bags that have been used extensively for a few years and seem to be virtually indestructible. Far lighter than suitcases, can be scrunched if not full and easier to carry with a shoulder strap.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Cheap and replace evey couple of years - have always used those with soft 'inner' and a metal frame 'outer' - they have never (yet) burst.

Constellation brand make good cheap stuff.

i love go for soft duffels made out of strong materials - they weigh next to nothing ( around 1kg ) and they are as tough as anything and cheap to buy - ive got vango cargo's and a lifeventure duffel and would recommend either.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

We have a set of Delsey plastic ones that we bought 15 years ago and they are still going strong

It's a long time since I used a suitcase, Mountain Equipment duffels from Cotswold are cheap, strong and don't look like they contain anything anyone might think of nicking. That said, they're not the right shape for carrying anything smart.....

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk
    We have had soft Samsonite bags for 5 years but with every flight the baggage handlers manage to break a bit more off
    It happened to Rhod Gilbert too... <link>

Softshell TravelPro/Skyway/Samsonite is the way to go IMO - very strong yet light enough to not rob too much weight :)

Wouldn't buy anything other than Tumi these days, though if weight isn't an issue then Rimowa metal cases are almost indestructible.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK
    Wouldn't buy anything other than Tumi these days, though if weight isn't an issue then Rimowa metal cases are almost indestructible.
    The Rimowa ally suitcases are very light in comparison to Samsonites.
    However one could say... if money isnt an issue, then Rimowa...

But yes as a business traveller my Rimova Jumbo has been around the world many times, the wheels or locks are really cheap to replace and one can repair it DIY.

Id does get beaen up a lot, so it does look more utility than fancy right after the first across the Atlantic flight.

Master

We use Dakine rollers now. I've found their stuff really good.

Heavier but perhaps even more durable than the Rimowa are the near indestructible Zero Halliburtons.

And if you are travelling light ... you can even keep your nuclear launch codes in one, as the US President does :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff
    We have a set of Delsey plastic ones that we bought 15 years ago and they are still going strong
    I second the Delsey recommendation. I have a full set of them and they have been around the world with me and have never failed. Great quality and reasonably light.

+1 for Samsonite, we have three diferent size fabric ones and love them. Always buy from either outlet store (Braintree) or Debenhams when they have a 25% off sale.

I seem to think most Samsonite have a life time guarantee?

The thing about the soft cases is they are lighter but also have that bit of give if you to cram a few extra undies in.

Master

Samsonite hard case with four wheels, had it for five years, normally see's two three trips a year and no issues so far....

After some unhappy experiences with some expensive brands I have been using some very cheap and cheerful suitcases for a few years and so far so good. I don't think I'd revert back now.

I'm rather fond of my Globetrotter; I've had it for years and it has slowly picked up wabi along the way. You don't see many which makes it easier to spot when the baggage tossers at Heathrow advertise the wrong carousel, again. And they're quite light.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman

As an expat we do a number of trips a year (12 -16) flights and have gone through 10 cases in the last 4 years. Now onto Chubb polypropylene hard shell cases. They scuff up a bit, but after a year they are still intact!

A diplomat friend meets planes at the airport for the diplomatic baggage. He has witnesses on several occasions the baggage handlers playing at Barnes Wallace to see what falls out of the cases on the runway.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by Azuk
    After some unhappy experiences with some expensive brands I have been using some very cheap and cheerful suitcases for a few years and so far so good. I don't think I'd revert back now.
    Likewise. I did get 2 wheelie_Globetrotters on EBay - they lasted a few years, but every flight took its toll. Theyre about as tough as mainstream cases come and still cant weather the Ryanair / Squeezyjet baggage destruction teams.

I know its not what you asked, but I have lately really tried to cut down on luggage to the bare minimum and within cabin allowances (as Im also a tightwad and begrudge paying £££ to take a case with me).

If you can keep it as handluggage, you can avoid the mashing given to hold-luggage and invest in something decent, or just use a soft nylon holdall.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie
    We use Dakine rollers now. I've found their stuff really good.
    Another vote here for Dakine wheeled bags.

I've had one of their bags now for a few years and it's been around the world a few times. Apart from a few external scuffs, it's still as good as new. And the internal compartments have separate net linings, which makes organising your stuff really convenient.

I use Samsonite (well - American Tourister, same company) for my hold luggage. It's all that nice solid ABS plastic stuff with proper hinges and locks. They may be a bit heavier but the stuff inside won't get crushed.

I've a couple of sizes (v.large and smallish) depending on the length of holiday and the carrier (some allow more weight than others).

For carry on I've (another Samsonite) ballistic fabric bag with a laptop puch that fits enough for 3 - 4 days (at a push).

I don't understand the need to take "loads" of stuff on holiday and have become quite ruthless over the years. My other half is the same - we both pack fairly light.

All of my luggage was bought cheaply from outlet villages (Cheshire Oaks and the like).

Cheers,

Master
    Blog Entries

I have a massive Tumi and Brics weekend bag. They do get chucked around but you can beat good quality. Tumi use ballistic nylon which wears well. That said both of the above are damn expensive so I would recommend ebay from a high feedback seller.

Quote Originally Posted by wajhart
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk
    We have had soft Samsonite bags for 5 years but with every flight the baggage handlers manage to break a bit more off
    It happened to Rhod Gilbert too... <link>
    Every time I'm standing at a carousel that sketch is playing in my head........ : -)

Tumi - but only the original line.

I also have some Tumi T-Tech.

Lighter, but far less substantial.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/item?sku=67002

even get an army banana shape-tupe bag

you wont go back to normal bags and suitcases

Craftsman

I thik it may depend on where and how often you are travelling. I started out as one of the cheap and replace travellers but had two jobs that required a lot of travelling - over 1 million miles in eight years and I bought two Tumi cases, a carry-on and a suicase/suit carrier hybrid and am still using them seven years later. They are indesteucable in my experience and I've only has one zip replaced (under warranty and it was caused by Moroccan baggage handlers).

They aren't cheap but they do have a couple of outlet stores and they have a lifetime warranty. They don't look flashy so people don't give them a second look but I swear by them.

A

Got to say having recently had my 4 year old 'TRIP' duffel bag luggage (in-house brand from Debenhams) destroyed returning from a holiday in Iceland in December I was most surprised when I took it back to one of their shops and got a full refund! (Warrenty is 5 years :) )

Was a perfectly good bag that did the job with no complaints so used the money to buy a hard shell 4 wheel case of the same make (yes I am that lazy I felt needed the 4 wheels). If it breaks again I will take it back and hopefully get the same service.

The in-house brands are worth a look at I feel, as you effectivily deal face to face with the supplier when you take it back and their store policies tend to be more forgiving and therefore you are much more likely (in my limited experience) to get an exchange or refund where as 'brand' stuff they tend see if the damage can be attributed to airline handeling and then refer you back to the manufacturer, and who can be arsed with that.

Speaking from personal experience only of course :D

Somonite American Tourist here,
    We have 3 different sizes (store like a Russian Doll) and pick the 'right' size for the trip.
    Since we often pack gifts for those back home we need something that is not going to get crushed.

Craftsman

Am a fan of the Samsonite Wardrobe for short hall but I don't think they make it any more. Definately cheap plastic stuff for long hall.

My company provides us with crew luggage (long haul aircrew) and it's always Samsonite. I like the older version Oyster as it's perfectly sized to weigh 20kg's when it's full.

Thanks folks I picked up some Samsonite suitcases at 50% of in the outlet.

The suggestions for the duffel bags weren't practical, as when i travel I take a suit with me for functions/ocassions/business meetings

Had a samsonite for nearly 15 years still using it now . :bounce: