closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a first watch for my 7 yo daughter

Master

Looking for a first watch for my 7 yo daughter

I've promised my daughter a watch. It will be her first and she's not yet intuitive in reading time from an analogue display, so we want her to learn to do so - meaning that we need analogue or ana-digital, with arab numerals - if not all numbers 0-12, then at least 6-9-12. She wants a timing device of some sort (bezel or stopwatch), though I wouldn't regard this as critical; a date (day would also be useful); if ana-dig then I'd expect an alarm. I'd like enough WR so that she can wear it for swimming, and she wants luminous hands. I don't really want a kids toy-type watch; am not particular about quartz vs auto.

She has a 14cm (5.5") wrist, and it needs to be something in proportion to that, preferably under 30mm diameter and not too thick; I guess I can get a separate NATO-type nylon strap and put extra holes in it if needed - but this will require lug bars as opposed to integrated type strap/bracelet.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Re: Looking for a first watch for my 7 yo daughter

I'm guessing the size might be a problem for ani-digital. Have you tried doing an eBay search in the Ladies section, just for ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    I've promised my daughter a watch. It will be her first and she's not yet intuitive in reading time from an analogue display, so we want her to learn to do so - meaning that we need analogue or ana-digital, with arab numerals - if not all numbers 0-12, then at least 6-9-12. She wants a timing device of some sort (bezel or stopwatch), though I wouldn't regard this as critical; a date (day would also be useful); if ana-dig then I'd expect an alarm. I'd like enough WR so that she can wear it for swimming, and she wants luminous hands. I don't really want a kids toy-type watch; am not particular about quartz vs auto.

She has a 14cm (5.5") wrist, and it needs to be something in proportion to that, preferably under 30mm diameter and not too thick; I guess I can get a separate NATO-type nylon strap and put extra holes in it if needed - but this will require lug bars as opposed to integrated type strap/bracelet.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    What about one of:
    http://citizen.jp/forma/lineup/eco/362311.html
    http://citizen.jp/forma/lineup/eco/362193.html
    http://citizen.jp/forma/lineup/eco/362313.html
    http://citizen.jp/forma/lineup/eco/362192.html
    (models at 43g are Ti with Pd anti-alergic coating, 60g = steel, all seem to have sapphire).

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli
    I'm guessing the size might be a problem for ani-digital. Have you tried doing an eBay search in the Ladies section, just for ideas?
    Best I've been able to find so far is the Casio Baby-G BGA-1-2B: .This is apparently a 28mm diameter.There are some better looking Baby-G ana-dig but all around 38mm which is too big, and smaller sized digital only.

Looking for a first watch for my 7 yo daughter

I had the same "problem" recently and searched high and low...and ended up getting a very similar model, the BGA-100 8B - http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece ... BGA100-8B/

Very happy with the results, looks, features, weight, price, don't think you can do better.

Couple of things, the LCD contrast is pretty "light" by design, so don't go changing the battery in a hurry! The mirror bezel is getting scratched too, might give it a Cape Cod rub at some point.

We've been looking at watches for our kids (both boys) and came across this 'Timex Kid's' line.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... WXN0Z7FNQE

Basically, it has 'Hour' written on the hour hand, 'Minute' written on the minute hand and there is 'past' written on the dial between 12 and 6 (right hand side of the dial) and 'to' written on the left.

They've got trucks, cars, jet fighters, camoflage and dinosaurs for the boys and loads of pastel colours and designs for the girls and a couple of neutral ones for those who don't care for the previous designs. I think the various designs cater for most ages and It's also an 'indiglo' watch so they can have some fun looking at it at bedtime.

No timing device for you but i'm sure i've seen these in Jewellers so it may be worth having a look in person.

Craftsman

I bought a friends 8 year old daughter a time teacher watch for her birthday. Should only take a few weeks to learn.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... ss_product

Flik Flak (essentially a kid's Swatch)

Got my nephew his first watch for Xmas. Did a lot of hunting on the web and went for the lorus with an indiglo style backlight.

Flik Flak have a good range (think it's a swatch sub brand) and timex do a few buy many makers simple don't do kids watches!

The strap on the lorus would not go small enough for my nephews tiny 6yo wrists so I had to chop am inch off it and put two new holes in with a red hot skewer! Not what you'd expect from a "kids" watch sd for 4+.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble
    not small enough for my nephews tiny 6yo wrists so I had to chop am inch off it and put two new holes in with a red hot skewer!
    That's a bit extreme isn't it? Did the poor child scream?

That is so cool. and cute bro. The first watch is trully something in one life. My one was one of those everybody loves raymond casios that my uncle gave me after finishing elemtary school. After 20 years, I still have the watch the same way it was

Master

Excellent thread.

I remember spending a whole Thursday (i.e. Saturday in the Moslem world) looking for my then 6-year-old daughter's first watch in the souk in Doha. It's a challenge all parents face, I suppose (though not necessarily in Doha, you understand).

I ended up with a wind-up (because she swas in boarding school and a quartz watch with a dead battery two weeks into term would be useless) Casio (good reputation) with arabic numerals (essential for a child).

Thirty-three years later, she still has it and it still works.