closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC 3531 or Rolex 1675 GMT master?

IWC 3531 or Rolex 1675 GMT master?

I'm going through agony about this one - just thought it might be worth canvassing your views out there to check (WIS)reality.

I have a nice IWC 3531 small portuguese stainless steel, silver dial, gold hands / numerals - there are some pictures on my SOTC posting a few weeks back. VERY good condition and lovely looking elegant watch. Someone has seen it on the net and expressed an interest in a trade (not sure about values yet, but just the concept) for a 1969 Rolex GMT Master also in VERY nice conidtion. I'm in two minds about it.

The reason I got the IWC in the first place was because I'd never be able to find the Dornbluth 04.0. Then I found the 04.0 and now I have both. Though there are many similarities, they're quite different in look and feel. The Dornbluth is rose gold, slightly chunkier, heavier, sportier. However, there is room for both in rotation and I have the IWC on today (with a suit) and it's understated and clean. When the Dornbluth arrived, I also decided to keep the 3531 because of the rarity factor - it's nigh on impossible to track down a 3531.

Someone has seen my 3531 and expressed an interest in a trade with his 1675. He has good references and has sent awesome photos of his watch. Should I go for it? A summary of my thoughts:

Pro trade
    IWC and Dornbluth fairly similar, so could live with just one of the two.
    I don't own a Rolex, and I guess if you own one, a near mint 1969 GMT Master 1675 is a good place.
    Just to be nice and let the man have and use his "grail", rather than it being stuck in a collection and worn only occasionally.
    Finally start trading rather than just acquiring too many watches.

Against
    Unlikely ever to find another 3531 like this and the rarity may in the end result in a good investment value (in a very long time).
    Probably could find a similar 1675, provided I wanted to spend to expand collection. Never really looked because I'm not a real Rolex fan (and don't wear bracelets a lot).
    It fits in well with my collection and I'll miss it.

Anyway, there it is in a nutshell. Don't know why I'm asking you lot - you're a bunch of nutters and a bad influence in my life, but, strangely, I would be interested to hear your thoughts (also on relative value of the two - almost impossible to benchmark the IWC because very hard to find them on the net).

Thanks

Ben

Craftsman

Re: IWC 3531 or Rolex 1675 GMT master?

I would definitely go with the GMT.

A really classic, iconic watch, especially the 1675, though, as I understand it, you won't be able to change bezel inserts.

I would definitely choose the GMT over the IWC, especially considering you have the Dornblueth.

I used to only wear Panerais as I liked the size, the leather straps, and the dial faces.

I now dislike the size (way too big), and am not too bothered about leather straps (one of my five watches has a leather strap, the others are all bracelet).

the 1675 is the nuts, i have a 68, I put it up on sc a while ago, then just let it sink.. its on my wrist now, you wont regret it!!

1675 IMO but really counts for nothing as I get the vibe you really want to keep the IWC and only are considering the GMT as it has been offered to you in trade.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I love the 3531 and it has a peach of a movement inside, however as you have the Dornbluth to cover any formal situation the 1675 sounds like a good addition to the collection and will look good in any setting.

A nice choice to have to make IMO :)

Sanjay

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty
    the 1675 is the nuts, i have a 68, I put it up on sc a while ago, then just let it sink.. its on my wrist now, you wont regret it!!

That's awesome.

Although the second hand seems to be spinning a bit too fast - I'd get that fixed if I were you.

guess the exposure time! :lol:

Iwc. Cyclops and dicky crown ruin 1675.

I think the 1675 will add variety to your collection.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Tough choice as both are lovley watches, as for the one that I'd go for it would have to be the 1675 8)

For me it would be the IWC a classic watch that is very wearable. I would love one.

Ben

Journeyman

Two great watches!!! I have those !

My humble opinion is that the ROLEX will never go out of style!!!

Craftsman

1675 for me - They also have excellent resale returns

The IWC... tons more class than a pedestrian 1675! :)

-flugzeit

For me definitely the 1675!

The looks off both watches differ a lot. If I had to choose it would be the GMT. The IWC is also a very nice watch but just too "sweet". Also I know some people who have one and they aren't among my favourite persons,..... funny how that influences your opinion about a watch!

Have we met?

Master

I'd go with the iwc if it was me, as you say the gmt is more available should you want to

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf
    Have we met?

Nope, don't worry. ;)

Just try them on once more. Both are great off-course but I prefer the GMT.

Master

1675 - nicer movement and watch and very practical also. As sparman1 (sanjay) states, the Dorn covers the dressy aspect well already. This way you will have a good spread/balance, also.

Br,

AP.

Craftsman

There are a lot of Rolex fans on this forum, I'd expect things to be heavily weighted in favour of the 1675. It's a fine watch too - I think the best iteration of the GMT (maybe the 16750?).

However, I don't see the logic in limiting yourself to one dressy watch, particularly if you suit up for work. If the IWC is the one I think it is, then it is a stunning piece, with classic IWC looks; the JLC 891/2 inside is a wonderful and rare-ish movement; and the 35mm size is a nice contrast to the Dornblueth, which is housed in a larger case and has a less formal dial.

You could buy a Rolex GMT any day of the week - there are so many good examples about. I'd only consider it if you don't have any good sports watches, and the Rolex still has proper water resistance.

You can't really go wrong - they're both great watches. But I'd keep the IWC.

Edit - @A.Pottinger - I know it's only opinion - but what's nicer about the Rolex movement?

Master

Hi,
    Return on your investment the Rolex.......IWC has bags of class which wins it for me!
    Martyndogs.
    P.S. I have owned several 1675's and while good robust watches they are so common...go to any car auction and check out the dealers wrists.
    I know, I was one in a past life.
    Martyndogs.