closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 3 series I Drive

BMW 3 series I Drive

I picked up my new BMW 3 series on Xmas eve and was increadibly excited about it thougout the Xmas period. However I have since gone back to work and I must say that the IDrive intergration with the Iphone 3GS seems to be nothing short of a nightmare.

Of course when I was in the showroom I was led to believe that it was simple to access my emails and text messages held on the phone via the IDrive controller. In fact the salesmen even managed to show me it working with my phone! But since I have had my car I have been totally unable to access any emails or SMS messages on the IDRIVE.

Has anyone else had similar problems and is there a solution?

BMW are simply saying that the problem is with Apple and that they are unwilling/unable to help. I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

It wont put me off the car but I do feel somewhat mislead and disapointed, :cry:

Re: BMW 3 series I Drive

Is it a good idea to be accessing e-mail and text messages whilst driving :?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries

I seem to remember Top Gear reviewing one of the cars with the early i-drive systems and commenting that it was a little unfriendly to use. I think the new versions are a little more user-friendly, not much help to you though :?

I guess that's a good point, driving and reading emails wouldnt be wise but it would be at good to at least know that I have an SMS or email. In order to listen to my albums on the phone I have to connect it to a socket in the centre console, so I can't even hear the messages come through.

I guess it's not a major issue but someone must have a solution ?

Mind you I have nearly crashed on numerous occasions whilst trying to make a call using idrive.

Banned

Don't think it's just the iDrive to be honest. I think it's the iPhone.

I have the same problem on a completely different system, but kept trying and got to full call handling service, although it needs a pin each time I start the car when it should connect automatically.

That said, the messaging etc. was defunkt!

So I've changed by to Blackberry and all is fine :?

I would book it in as a warranty issue.

Master

It is the iPhone unfortunately, just like it is with syncing in the VWs. The iPhone is notoriously uncooperative in many ways due to the lack of 'proper' bluetooth (i.e. full obex profile path).

But don't worry, if you're enjoying driving the car you won't give a toss about texts. :D

My iPhone Bluetooth and idrive seem fine, but I only use it for calls and address book.

Not a huge help but I've had no problems connecting my Nokia or the Mrs' Samsung to i-drive - must be iphone problem. Maybe have a look on the BMW forums for advice?

No experience of iPhones or iDrive Blutooth, but I did have iDrive in my last car.

Its a hateful system, nothing but a distraction that complicates the most simple tasks.

*sorry, I felt compelled to share it. I will use the bear pit next time*
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman

I've used a series of Nokia phones with my 5 Series I-Drive all with varying sucess :? . Best functionality not surprisingly was with a basic Nokia 2300 from the same year of manufacture as the car and no phone software upgrades.
    My current E72 used to work fine until I installed a Nokia SW upgrade to fix some Email sync problems with Microsoft Small Business Server on the IT system at work. The phone now works fine with the server but although I can see all my contact numbers on the I-Drive screen the wretched thing won't let me initiate a call from I-Drive but will if I initiate the call from the phone keyboard :roll: . Curiously it initiates fine from the "last number dialled" or top 8 numbers tab :roll: :roll: .

Have Microsoft, Nokia and BMW a hope in hell of coordinating all of their SW releases, not in my lifetime I suspect :(

best of luck
    grant

Thanks for all of the great advice. I think that this will be a bit of a non starter in relation to getting emails and sms to work with the I Drive. I think as advised I will take a trip back to the dealer when I get a minute and also check out the BMW forum.

thanks

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Is it a good idea to be accessing e-mail and text messages whilst driving :?
    +1......I`m considering a 3-series at the moment and the whole i-drive/phone business goes completely over my head. Who really needs to access e-mails whilst driving :?

As for folks using mobile phones whilst driving (unless via hands-free) I`m all for hanging and whipping them. Dangerous and not necessary IMO.

The main let-down in the 3-series for me is the mediocre music system fitted as standard; compared to my Jaguar X-Type it's poor. Told the salesman this and he looked at me like I`d farted in church :)

Paul

I do agree with the last comment. I only brought the BMW because I needed an estate for the dog. I really wanted to buy the Jaguar XF, that is very well built and highly equiped car.

I drive is a complete pain, took me half an hour today whilst stationary to get the sat nav to guide me to the motorway services for a meeting. Stupid thing cant even take postcodes as a destination! An £80 tom tom can do it but not BMW although I am sure they will try and sell me this option as an upgrade soon..... :D

Quote Originally Posted by drive2us
    I do agree with the last comment. I only brought the BMW because I needed an estate for the dog. I really wanted to buy the Jaguar XF, that is very well built and highly equiped car.

I drive is a complete pain, took me half an hour today whilst stationary to get the sat nav to guide me to the motorway services for a meeting. Stupid thing cant even take postcodes as a destination! An £80 tom tom can do it but not BMW although I am sure they will try and sell me this option as an upgrade soon..... :D
    I was under the impression that the idrive can be updated to accept post codes (the lack of which is mind bendingly annoying).

Master

There is an update to full post code available subject to model.....and yes it is chargeable

I am not aware of iPhone displaying email or SMS at all on screen. You should get full phone book and if you have option 6fl USB interface yo should also be able to access the iPod element of your iPhone

I have used my iPhone 3GS in over 30 different BMWs and never had a problem with it.

Are you sure the salesman wasn't showing you connected drive? This can display messages sent from your phone or google maps.

I will have to call BMW and see if there is an upgrade for the postcodes, as this is a very frustrating problem.
    When I went into BMW the Salesman hooked my phone upto the car using bluetooth and managed to access on my emails and SMS messages, so I really dont know what to think about it all :cry:

You could always go back to the dealership and get the salesman to walk you through the process again.

All other issues aside, why would you need Sat Nav to find the Motorway services, they must be some of the easiest things to find.
    On the issue of handsfree phoning, I stopped using mine during working hours, as my wife knew not to ring whilst I was at the wheel, but my directors used to call and question me about spreadsheetsetc which really does distract