closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The rules I respect when buying a watch...

Journeyman

The rules I respect when buying a watch...

Hello,

I'm now a long time WIS,I've own over 40 watches at one time,some time ago I decided to be harder on myself before spending my cash on timepieces.
    So here are my buying "rules" wich I almost never break.(I will break any rules when Eddie CAF is ready)

1- Only inhouse mouvement
    2- No mineral crystal
    3- No quartz
    4- No less than 36mm
    5- No integrated bracelet

I would like to know if some TZ-UKer are following buying rules too?

Best
    RAF

Master

Re: The rules I respect when buying a watch...

Quote Originally Posted by RAF
    Hello,

I'm now a long time WIS,I've own over 40 watches at one time,some time ago I decided to be harder on myself before spending my cash on timepieces.
    So here are my buying "rules" wich I almost never break.(I will break any rules when Eddie CAF is ready)

2- No mineral crystal
    3- No quartz
    4- No less than 36mm
    5- No integrated bracelet

I would like to know if some TZ-UKer are following buying rules too?

Best
    RAF
    To my surprise, the watches I have follow your Rules 1 & 2. I have no objection to quartz, however, seeing it just as a step in the evolution of time-keeping. Rule 5 is understandable, insofar as most watches with integrated bracelets fetch poor money secondhand and at auctions. Unfortunately, Rule 4 doesn't make sense, because some of the best wrist watches ever made are less than 36mm in diameter: excluding crown, of course ( :D ).

That rule feels like you're cutting out the interesting middle ground between GBP150 and GBP2000. Most of the nice watches under two grand use ETA or Valjoux, or whatever, and there are some interesting, exciting watches there.

Maybe my budget is not as healthy as yours. :) Or are you saying that you're only going to be buying Seikos and Citizens?

I've broken all those rules, and happily so.

The only rule I did set myself was to only buy watches with bezels... and that will soon be broken because I have a vintage Seiko Bellmatic on the way...

Sunnie

Master

Hello,

I would like to know if some TZ-UKers are following buying rules too?

Best
    RAF
    RAF, I buy watches for two purposes:
    1) To fix and re-sell
    2) To keep

So there's two potential sets of rules for a start!

The ones I buy to fix are:

a) vintage, well-known American makes such as Hamilton, Waltham, Gruen etc.
    b) complete, but not running
    c) not in need of a re-dial
    d) plastic crystal, scratched but not cracked

Then, for the keepers I am buying various types of watches. I haven't come with a single set of rules that covers these various types of watches. So right now, while the collection is fairly small (click my WWW button below), each watch is judged on it's own merit.

Cheers,

Grand Master
    No rules here, except that I haven't seen the watch yet that would make me break RAF's rule no. 5 (no integrated bracelet). :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

There are two threads with the same name running concurrently. :(

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Craftsman

Does ETA count as inhouse in case of Swatch? :wink:

Thomas Reid
    1. It has to be really, really big. Indeed, it has to be so big that a special harness has to be set up and worn to distribute the weight evenly.

2. It has to have a really, really cool name, preferably to do with killing. So, for example, a watch with the name of "garrotte" would be good, especially with one of those self-defense straps, as this sort of killing has to be up close and personal. Perhaps "Tomahawk" would be even better. It is historical, referring to a really nifty hand held weapon, and it is also used to name a really snazzy, standoff, flying weapon.

3. It has to be made of a special material that allows the watch, if nothing else, to survive the bottom of the Mariana Trench, deep space and the center of the sun. Survival of black holes is required for the very top of the line. However, I want mine without any scratches.

4. The dial has to be readable at night from miles, but not give away my position to casual onlookers.

5. The movement has to be accurate to within .00001 seconds a millennium. It must not need maintenance. Ever. That's because it has to be hewn from metal as a one off for me. It has to be subtley decorated. Perferably by a little Swiss person in a little chalet in the big mountains who made his own tools.

6. It must cost less than 16 quid.

A bit long winded, and perhaps this is more appropriate for a "Holy Grail" thread. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    There are two threads with the same name running concurrently. :(

john
    That explains a lot of cognitive dissonances I have been experiencing ... :roll:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    1. It has to be really, really big. etc, etc

etc,

etc

That'll be a Chase Durer, then...

:)

Master
    Blog Entries
    1. It has to be really, really big. Indeed, it has to be so big that a special harness has to be set up and worn to distribute the weight evenly.

2. It has to have a really, really cool name, preferably to do with killing. So, for example, a watch with the name of "garrotte" would be good, especially with one of those self-defense straps, as this sort of killing has to be up close and personal. Perhaps "Tomahawk" would be even better. It is historical, referring to a really nifty hand held weapon, and it is also used to name a really snazzy, standoff, flying weapon.

3. It has to be made of a special material that allows the watch, if nothing else, to survive the bottom of the Mariana Trench, deep space and the center of the sun. Survival of black holes is required for the very top of the line. However, I want mine without any scratches.

4. The dial has to be readable at night from miles, but not give away my position to casual onlookers.

5. The movement has to be accurate to within .00001 seconds a millennium. It must not need maintenance. Ever. That's because it has to be hewn from metal as a one off for me. It has to be subtley decorated. Perferably by a little Swiss person in a little chalet in the big mountains who made his own tools.

A bit long winded, and perhaps this is more appropriate for a "Holy Grail" thread. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    :D

I think these are decent basic criteria Bob, but if I am going to pay over a tenner I like to have a flying tourbillon and preferably minute repetition too.

I don't really have rules...

I think that this one:

breaks a few of them

1). The movement was used in Omega, Rado and Breitling of the time.
    2). OK - it's sapphire crystal - no problem there then.
    3). But it's quartz...
    4). And only 32mm across (excluding the crown).
    5). Plus - that bracelet looks pretty "integrated" to me.

However, it was my first "real" watch and I bought it with my own money. I even got married in it (so there are many happy memories associated).

Rules are meant to be broken!

Cheers,

Grand Master
    I just have two.

1. it can't break the bank
    2. it has to be something that I'll actually wear, and keep liking to wear in the future :)

Ming

Master

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Can you tell me where I can buy one that will satisfy all these criteria?

Martin

Why not check out Velociphile's new 'Guide to Buying a Watch'
    (more new interesting articles below)
    http://velociphilewatch.blogspot.com/

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Why not check out Velociphile's new 'Guide to Buying a Watch'
    (more new interesting articles below)
    http://velociphilewatch.blogspot.com/

john

I like rule 10.

"I can buy it now, today for cash" - then back off if needed once the deal is struck.
    Apparently once the deal is struck, it is okay to reneg on the promise to buy it immediately for cash. I wonder whether it is okay for the dealer therefore to reneg on the agreed price.

Best wishes,
    Bob