closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone in Egypt?

Anyone in Egypt?

SWMBO is due in Cairo on business next week. I've read the FCO advice and the newswires but I'm wondering if there are any TZ-ers on the ground. Unless there's an outbreak of calm I expect she'll cancel her trip on monday but your views would be good too.

Re: Anyone in Egypt?

i am near by of she needs any help in any way

Master

I suspect any outbreak of calm would be unstable as well as, in the short term, unlikely. I'd be tempted to give it a miss at the moment, tbf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12311007

Cairo, Alexandria and Suez have been placed under curfew as the Egyptian government battles to restore control after the biggest protests so far.

Across the country tens of thousands of protesters turned out after Friday prayers and clashed with police.

President Hosni Mubarak, facing the biggest challenge to his authority of his 31 years in power, has ordered the army onto the streets of Cairo.

... I know what I'd do.

...not looking happy is it? its only a business trip, anyway. Wierdly, I'm less concerned about demonstrations than internet and phone network shutdowns.

Master

I'd be more worried about getting my head caved in by a twitchy guy from the security services rather than missing out on my daily dose of lolcats, to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    ...not looking happy is it? its only a business trip, anyway. Wierdly, I'm less concerned about demonstrations than internet and phone network shutdowns.
    I am unable to reach anyone on either the internet or mobile phone, the only people I've spoken with today (holiday) is by landline. Most over there are in a state of shock and tbh so am I: such open disobedience is unheard of and it is quite astonishing that so many have risen up to demonstrate publicly.

I fear for the outcome of this as the government will have no idea how to respond to such open defiance. :(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I suspect this is the equivalent of the 'Berlin Wall' coming down in the Middle East.

Hope it works out ok.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

The White House is currently dropping heavy hints about the consequences of any escalation of violence by the Egyptian Government. This has been coming for a while but the recent events in Tunisia have seemingly provided the tipping point. I predict something of a sea change in large parts of the Arab world.

I would suggest staying clear for the foreseeable future.

Master

Update: FCO website updated to advise against all but essential travel to a number of locations in Egypt (including Cairo).

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I am unable to reach anyone on either the internet or mobile phone, the only people I've spoken with today (holiday) is by landline.
    The government ordered that all the mobile networks be shut down this morning, along with the internet. I'm not sure if that's just in the cities or everywhere, it's pretty draconian and unprecedented if everywhere...

Can only be a good thing in the longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire
    I am unable to reach anyone on either the internet or mobile phone, the only people I've spoken with today (holiday) is by landline.
    The government ordered that all the mobile networks be shut down this morning, along with the internet. I'm not sure if that's just in the cities or everywhere, it's pretty draconian and unprecedented if everywhere...
    It's not everywhere AFAIK, but most major towns are without. The scale is unprecedented, but the government has exercised control over the internet from day one, plus television and radio for decades too. It really is remarkable to see the scale of these demonstrations, I've never known the people to be anything other than scared of showing any form of dissent in public such is the culture of fear of the authorities.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    . I predict something of a sea change in large parts of the Arab world.
    which way do you think its going to go, in egypt and elsewhere? towards democracy or radical islamisation?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

The domino effect was always likely and anticipated, following Tunisia. The protesters are middle and lower middle class, educated (relative) secularists and they're protesting about secular issues of freedom, corruption and the economy. The risk is, as always, that periods of instability can give all sorts of groups opportunities in quite unexpected ways - the risk here presumably being the Muslim Brotherhood. Regime change seems inevitable, either now or September - although the latter strikes me as being unlikely.

Grand Master

It wasn't a nice place to go to when it was riot free :lol:

Just got back from a week on a livaboard out of Hurghada ... It was quite surreal , we got back into port on Thursday night to be warned not to go downtown because there were going to be protests, didnt really pay it much thought, then Friday had a day room in the Marriot and saw it all going off on CNN.... The lockdown on mobile and internet signals was quite disturbing to experience :?
    The mood at the airport was a bit tense , everyone was clustered around TVs trying to find out the latest, but I think the worst of it is contained in the main cities , we didn't see any problems.....
    There was a general air of something big happening though.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master

Feel sorry anyone for anyone caught in that nightmare who isn't part of it.

On another note, BBC News pompously announces that El Presidente's sons "have arrived in London". Why? What the hell are they doing there? The UK and Egypt have nothing more to do with each other than any other unassociated countries. Why not elsewhere in North Africa, or perhaps somewhere the Levant? Why flee, and if they must, why not go to a more relevant country?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

Mubarak's in Egypt at the moment!

I suspect he'll be on his way soon with a nest egg of Egypt's wealth endorsed and protected by us Western Countries. We've got that many blind eyes it's a surprise we get our way to SEE the protection of deposed dictators, perhaps it's just to encourage them to stay Q about our involvement?

Cynic Steve.

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

I think the best the best thing about the Muberak clan coming to the UK is all the money they have robbed may get spent here and help to pay off the Trilion pound debt we have. I would be extremely miffed if we footed his security bill though..

As of this evening, the last ISP provider, Noor, is now down.

The government didn't simply block Twitter and Facebook (an increasingly common tactic of regimes under fire), but rather they apparently ordered most major Egyptian providers to cease service via their international providers, effectively removing Egyptian IP space from the global Internet and cutting off essentially all access to the outside world via this medium. The only way out now is via traditional phone calls or via satellite. I've been unable to reach anyone by phone (as most people only have mobile contact) and satellite phones are very rare out there. :(

This is no way to treat your own populace.

R

I was fortunate enough to live in a 5* hotel in Egypt for around 6 months in 1994 it was the Mena House Oberoi in Gizza

every morning I woke up to this view

People said it wasn't a safe place but I'll tell you what back then I would happily walk around on my own at night and NEVER felt any fear whatsoever, In fact it was quite the opposite the Egyptians looked out for the tourists and guided them away from trouble, Apart from some taxi drivers trying to rip you off I ever had a bad experience whilst I was there and I worry for those great people I met and just hope and pray they are all OK. My wife and I went back in 1998 and we went back to the hotel the F&B manager and the Hotel director remembered me and we had a great couple of hours chatting and drinking. Great times I just hope it all gets back to normal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman
    People said it wasn't a safe place but I'll tell you what back then I would happily walk around on my own at night and NEVER felt any fear whatsoever, In fact it was quite the opposite the Egyptians looked out for the tourists and guided them away from trouble....
    It's no different now, safer there than in UK cities and towns - but the taxi drivers continue to try it on. :wink:

I think there will be momentous changes between now and Friday night in Egypt.

R

now everyone is trying to get the money/deposits and wealth in their own country
    also tourism if affected will be diverted to other countries like Cyprus etc
    i hope everything ends up well in the end as i never met a 'bad' person from Egypt so far it was a very good overall experience

Update from OP:
    SWMBO didn't go in the end (obviously). After the telco backout she's now got more information from friends & colleagues in Cairo. The mood changed quite dramtically on friday. Prior to this she was informed that demonstrations were easy to avoid and that, depressingly, all the fuss would die down quickly once the Police bring out the water cannon.

Sure enough, after Friday prayers one Egyptian colleague found that all the cars outside his mosque had been drenched in petrol and the police had taken up positions on side streets. By this stage mobile and internet were shut down, so many went to the central square simply to find out what was going on. The police also seemed to disappear by Friday evening and many local residents began "arming" themselves after rumours that the prisons had been left open. There has never been any nervousness about the Army, which is mainly composed of conscripts and who were always unlikely to fire upon other Egyptians.

Her company had sent emails to everyone telling them to leave on the first flight anywhere, but obviously these may not have been picked up, in which time the Japanese and Australians and some others (though not the Brits) had begun evacuating their people from the big hotels. Consequently the airport is now rammed.

It's no different now, safer there than in UK cities and towns - but the taxi drivers continue to try it on. :wink:

I think there will be momentous changes between now and Friday night in Egypt.

R
    SWMBO's been going there and elsewhere in N Africa and the Mid East on and off for over 5 years. Despite being a white female traveling by herself she's never had any problems there at all and apart from taxi drivers men are extremely polite and respectful. Yes its still often a very conservative and attitudes to local women can be neolithic and its often very anti-semitic (I imagine the Israelis watching events with some fear actually) but Cairo is still an astonishing city. She's still quite keen to go to Cairo next week, in fact.

The pessimist in me still remembers the fall of the Shah, though...in any case this will be an important week for the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Why not elsewhere in North Africa, or perhaps somewhere the Levant? Why flee, and if they must, why not go to a more relevant country?
    Our benefits are better.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami
    Can only be a good thing in the longer term.
    I agree unless they get some Iranian style dictator. I do hope democracy rules there.

Rod

Mubarak is stepping down at the next election.

R

But I doubt that will be enough for the populace now. :(

R

R
    Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami

R
    Too late.
    Face and pride - a heady combo in the east. :(

R

Developments between now and Friday should be interesting over there.

R

Not good.

Just managed a brief phone call (landline) to a friend in Alexandria and she's reporting 'rapid' gun-fire in the city, coming from the square where the protesters have gathered.

:cry:

R

SWMBO managed contact with colleagues in Cairo: pro-Mubarak demonstrations yesterday and army being issued with body armour :shock:
    Picture 11 here is her office:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12321556
    30 storey building on the Corniche, upper half a luxury hotel (Those aren't "residents" those are regular building security). The building has many western shops and businesses, including Starbucks, so it’s only natural that they would roll out the broomsticks. Spoons are only suitable for buildings up to 25 floors. If its a really tall building you get two sticks.

Interesting. I've had several pro-Mubarak text messages appearing on my Egyptian mobile over the last few days.

And now this from Vodafone (my supplier):

Vodafone Group PLC said in a statement that the texts had been scripted by Egyptian authorities. The company said authorities had invoked emergency rules to draft the messages, whose content it said it had no ability to change.

"Vodafone Group has protested to the authorities that the current situation regarding these messages is unacceptable," the statement said. "We have made clear that all messages should be transparent and clearly attributable to the originator."
    Ironic really, as they were the only texts I had received from Egypt, due to the networks being shut down by the Government. :roll:

R