closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Personal websites

Craftsman

Personal websites

Hi,
    I've had to buy a couple of domain names for work today and picked up one for myself too. Now I've got it, im wondering what to do with it.
    I know its popular for keeping family updated with photos and travel journals, but not sure if thats what I want to do yet.
    Does anyone here have any interesting personal websites you have made that you can post, or ideas with what to do with one?

Re: Personal websites

I have an old hobby site I should really let go but I also have another which I use solely as an email forwarder. http://www.myname.com. This means I can direct it to send email to any ISP I happen to subscribe to in any given year.

Journeyman

I have always liked http://jjjjound.com/
    It is just images, pure and simple (although processor heavy) No opinions or reading involved, just stuff he likes.

Thomas Reid

I have my teaching stuff, some photography and some watch stuff on mine. Although I've been working on it recently, I've plenty more to do. I had to sort out the software, but that's done now, so it is full speed ahead. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I think it is important to keep it simple, and easy to change. The more overhead in making updates, the less likely they are to occur.
    RLF

I use one of mine for email forwarding so I can have a none ISP specific address (makes changing ISP less painful and another for the badminton club I run.

Journeyman

Is recommend pointing it to a Blogger blog. We use them at work for client blogs.They're so easy to learn, customise and update. You can even update it from your start phone.

Journeyman

Is recommend pointing it to a Blogger blog. We use them at work for client blogs.They're so easy to learn, customise and update. You can even update it from your start phone.

Thomas Reid

And they are in stereo. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

You could get it hosted and then install the free Wordpress platform either for a blog or a website. very easy to use and MUCH more powerful than blogger.com alternative.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by supermd
    Hi,
    I've had to buy a couple of domain names for work today and picked up one for myself too. Now I've got it, im wondering what to do with it.
    I know its popular for keeping family updated with photos and travel journals, but not sure if thats what I want to do yet.
    Does anyone here have any interesting personal websites you have made that you can post, or ideas with what to do with one?
    Ive put most of my family history stuff online, it was worth it for me just for one of my dads schoolfriends from the 1930s to contact me, they were both refugees from the war and he didnt know what happened to my dad after the war.

http://www.ulmkalns.com

Journeyman

Use it for a snappy e=mail addy (forwarding) and of course you can host it on freebie space from your ISP if they offer it - at least till you decide what to do with it :roll:

Put up a holding page with a link to any of your pal's or acquaintances websites (see below :bounce: ) - the sooner you get a page up, the longer it looks like you've had it when Google or any other robot comes a-calling. :P

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz
    You could get it hosted and then install the free Wordpress platform either for a blog or a website. very easy to use and MUCH more powerful than blogger.com alternative.

Wordpress is much more powerful and has more add in toys but for these who aren't confident with creating mysql databases Blogger is perfect.

Saying that, you can get web hosting with 'one click' installs if all major cms' which make it easier.

Depends what you want to do with it really.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by supermd
    Hi,
    Feel free to look at mine; I use the Pivot blog software and a template I customised myself. Pivot has been superseded now but is still available and perfectly adequate for my needs.

http://jamesgibbon.com/