closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Something to aim for

Something to aim for

Dear all

What's next for you, what are you aiming for and why?

For me, well I am looking at the following, hopefully not too far over the horizon but who knows;

Sinn U1
    Sinn U2
    Longines Legend Diver
    One of the many Damasko's
    Prs50B

I hasten to add its only one or possibly 2 of these.

Good luck to all in their next on the list..

Regards

Ben

Re: Something to aim for

Who am I kidding, probably something completely different, I truly believe that Wis dom is a disease ;)

Master

I had been tempted recently by a couple of SM300s on SC but at the end of the day, I just couldn't justify the money. I know I could easily recoup my outlay if I ever tired of the watch but I don't think I could truly wear a watch of that value without feeling ill at ease. I would always be worried about knocking it, and that would take the edge off owning the watch. I have therefore compromised and just today, purchased a PRS14 on SC. This will be my 2nd PRS14. I think I sold the last one because I could never find a strap that I felt was just right for the watch. Having seen the SM300 on the Omega 1171 bracelet, I'm going to give that a try on the PRS14. Others have done it and the combination looks really good. I hope I'm not dissapointed. I don't expect to be, and with the cost being less than 1/3 that of the Omega, I think I will be able to wear it whenever and wherever I want.

So, coming back to the topic, I was aiming high but settled on something just a bit more appropriate for me.

I aim for something and make plans, then I sleep and someone moves the target.

Kfman

I know exactly what you mean sometimes its hard to justify spending what could be seen as a lot when a little less just feels right, the Prs14 was one I'd had a serious look at on SC as well. Hope you like it let us know what you think of it.

Yes the goal posts are always shifting when it comes to grails, one you'd never part with and unexpected expenditures.

Regards

Ben

Master

I am attracted to new and exciting trinkets far too often and as a result I often end up buying watches that I never intended to buy and don't keep for very long. I've come close to doing it a few times again this year but have managed to stop myself and to try and prevent any more rash purchases I've pretty much decided on my next purchase, and because it's a big one I'm going to need to really focus and start putting money aside. Every frivolous purchase will simply put it further out of my reach so it's in my interest to knuckle down. The watch in question is most likely going to be one of these, a Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver :)

Master

I decided years ago that I had enough "high-end" watches, and I managed to stop buying them. I have bought a few cheapies since then, but I've managed to stop buying IWCs, Omegas, Rolexes and the like.

What I'm aiming for is one day to have substantially less of them. I've really learned that more is less. I still have three IWCs, two Rolexes, four Omegas, a Breitling, a Tudor, an Oris, a Longines and shedloads of cheaper stuff - Seikos, Casios, a Kienzle, a couple of Swatches and more.

My ideal 'something to aim for' would be just to have five or six valuable watches. I know I'd always keep my Rolex GMT, my IWC Mk XII and my Speedy. But which others?

I'd love this Fortis that I saw for sale elsewhere tonight. Short of selling something that I'd regret, it won't happen anytime soon. Like Monogroover, I need to concentrate on downsizing instead of upsizing. It's tough when you love nearly everything you have.

Master

I think I'm moving more into the direction of just having 2 watches as everything I buy recently "bores me".

Just received a 79190 Tudor Sub. Opened it, put it on and... :|
    Nothing!

No feeling of "Wow, this is great!" or "I can see why this was £1500"... Just a "blank" feeling. Not even the excitement of a new watch... :?
    I think I buy too many for them to feel special any more so maybe I will focus on selling everything and buying just 2 to cover all bases. :?:

Journeyman

A Sinn 857 or 757 utc, and to keep in trend, definitely an Heuer Autavia. I really see the vintage appeal with those.
    Unfortunately, seriously will be quite some time before any of these link up with me!

Master

Tudor Prince Oysterdate Jumbo or maybe an Explorer 1, Panerai not decided which one yet & a GMT 2. Currently got a 2254 and an Aerospace, so those 3 will make up my perfect collection (I think :lol: )

Do fancy a Heuer though and possibly a vintage Speedy... :wink:

Blog Entries

I wish I knew :cry:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Anything that takes my fancy in the SC really... been a bit dull in there lately though!

Each to there own of course but i think it must be a little sad and disheartening when you look forward to the arrival of a watch and either feel nothing when you put it on or are completely underwhelmed.

I realise that in some cases the watch has only been seen online and opinions about it obtained from there but there must be something in its appearance and write up which point us towards it and the pursuit of it.

I think what is really annoying is either not bonding with something and flipping it only to desire it again, or to really love/like a watch be forced to sell for financial or grail pursuit reasons only to be unable to get one again, or at least one that does not far exceed the original price you paid for it.

Regards

Ben

I'm slowly aiming to end up with these :

Three watches, three brands, and then off the merry-go-round. It's been emotional.

TT

Only expecting to get one new watch this year. Most probably a Damasko or another Sinn.

regards,
    Nick

Have to say, no real things in sight. Not really interested in expensive purchases anymore :? , I've got the feeling of been there, done that, got a few really expensive items that i really like and not wanting any more or trade them for something else.

At the moment only G-shocks seem to interest me, gives the fun aspect back into watches IMO so will probably acquire one or two in the coming months!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    I'm slowly aiming to end up with these :

Three watches, three brands, and then off the merry-go-round. It's been emotional.

TT
    Very similar to me, I've already got the monster, and it would be a toss-up between the Omega and a Ball Hydrocarbon Classic for me.

^^^ I've got those pictured so it's just a matter of culling the others over time. My reasoning on those three was : 2 timeless classics, both bought from new, history all mine. Look after these. Give to kids one day. And one swimming/climbing/diving/gardening/hiking/beach/jungle all-occasions proper beater with about a million strap combinations to keep the boredom at bay.

I admit it's only an aim though and I have a feeling there lies a PRS-50 somewhere between here and the finish

TT

Master

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp

At the moment only G-shocks seem to interest me, gives the fun aspect back into watches IMO so will probably acquire one or two in the coming months!
    I think I'm you! :shock:

Just arrived this morning; Tudor Sub and Spike Lee G Shock. Tudor is in my watch box, Spike is on wrist. :?
    I wonder how many G's I can buy for one and a half G's. :lol:

Master

The only thing I want right now is a PRS 3 and/or a CWC diver. I no longer have a proper dive watch, after all these years of collecting them, but right now I can't afford anything. Gotta get my life sorted first - get moved into my own place and get employed. After that maybe I'll have the luxury of discretionary income again. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp

I think I'm you! :shock:

Just arrived this morning; Tudor Sub and Spike Lee G Shock. Tudor is in my watch box, Spike is on wrist. :?
    I wonder how many G's I can buy for one and a half G's. :lol:
    :lol: well for one and a half G's you could either get 20 g shocks or maybe one, depends on how mad you want to be :wink:

Personally I think I will get one of those aviation watches with the funky blue numerals 8)

Easy access to try on a Longines Legend Diver where I work saw it briefly from stealing distance and looks really nice, up close and personal.

However, an old favourite grail came to mind, the Muhle Glashutte Sar, so another to add to the list above.

Ben

Being fickle my list changes frequently.

See my sig
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm probably going to hold out for a Watchco SM300 (non-date) or alternatively a PRS14.

I'd love a Patek jumbo sports on bracelet.
    It's just a matter of time...

- Omega Seamaster 1957 (black bezel / broad arrow hour hand)

i'm fooling myself that when i will find this one i will have completed my wishlist
    - 1957 SM300 (can't find it, yet :-()
    - 1966 SM300 (check)
    - 2006 42mm PO (check)

but since my interest in vintage Heuers is growing day by day i know the list will be never ending....

Something to aspire to but whether I will ever find a pre-owned one at an accepatble price is debatable...

Glashutte Original Senator Sixties Square Chrono 8) 8) 8)

Nothing.. I am done..

If anything I need to cull the collection down... far too much (in my eyes) invested in this hobby :)

Its been fun though!

Tried that, and gone off in the opposite direction a week later :lol:

I think I'm moving more into the direction of just having 2 watches as everything I buy recently "bores me".

Nothing!

No feeling of "Wow, this is great!" or "I can see why this was £1500"... Just a "blank" feeling. Not even the excitement of a new watch... :?
    I think I buy too many for them to feel special any more so maybe I will focus on selling everything and buying just 2 to cover all bases. :?:
    Well you do seem to go through watches faster than Gaddafi goes through garish outfits!
    I do know that feeling of buying almost from habit, rather than real attraction or excitement over a particular watch. I've tried to stop just looking for the next thing to buy, and waiting until something pops up that rekindles that WIS flame!

I'm thinking about a few of Eddies at the mo, PRS14 and 53 - not life-changing costs and both look great IMO. (but even those are just to scratch an itch rather than desperate need for them!) Apart from that, I can't think of anything I'd rather wear more than my Aerospace - it could well be the unwitting grail that takes me out of this game... :o

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    Nothing.. I am done..

If anything I need to cull the collection down... far too much (in my eyes) invested in this hobby :)

Its been fun though!
    wish i could say that...... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists

Nothing!

Well you do seem to go through watches faster than Gaddafi goes through garish outfits!
    I do know that feeling of buying almost from habit, rather than real attraction or excitement over a particular watch. I've tried to stop just looking for the next thing to buy, and waiting until something pops up that rekindles that WIS flame!

I'm thinking about a few of Eddies at the mo, PRS14 and 53 - not life-changing costs and both look great IMO. (but even those are just to scratch an itch rather than desperate need for them!) Apart from that, I can't think of anything I'd rather wear more than my Aerospace - it could well be the unwitting grail that takes me out of this game... :o
    I've also cut down, to four/five at most. I now wear them all, all have a different purpose, and I like each one enough to look forward to putting them on.

Well I am at 9 - with 2 currently on the chopping block of the SC. A third will be on there in the near future.

2 are in Service - one of which may go once its back.

The rest I rotate all Rolex, bar a Breitling and GP. Its not that I have stopped enjoying watches.. I just feel content.. and tbh I am looking for long term ownership (with a couple earmarked for my boys 21st)

I have to say the constant price rises are beginning to have the effect that I now realise for all the beauty and engineering they all just tell the time.. and I am not looking to have such an investment locked up in them.

Eventually I think 5/6 will be the final number... honest guv!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I've also cut down, to four/five at most. I now wear them all, all have a different purpose, and I like each one enough to look forward to putting them on.
    I've only got 5 "decent" watches too.

The Ed White Speedmaster combo just posted would be nice :bounce:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    Something to aspire to but whether I will ever find a pre-owned one at an accepatble price is debatable...

Glashutte Original Senator Sixties Square Chrono 8) 8) 8)
    I've not seen one of these before - that is stunning!

Anyone on here had one ?