closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rotary Les Originales automatics

Rotary Les Originales automatics

I've just come across these, the LE90000 series, they don't look too bad. They use the ETA 2824-2 movement, have a sapphire crystal, and an unusual hinges case back which opens to revel the movement under a crystal, similar in operation to a hunter pocket watch. I believe they are 42mm diameter excluding crown. RRP is £425 though they are available a bit cheaper, and I have come across a black dial version at £150. What do you think of the watch?

Re: Rotary Les Originales automatics

i dont know why rotary get a slamming, i think wis just get a bit put off by the name, a bit like skoda in the good old days
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master

at £150, worth a pop, but not sure at £400+ i think, unless they have an uprated movement.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master

While rotary are a bit of a forgotten relative these days, they actually make pretty reliable watches.
    Couple that with the fact that this ISN'T a direct copy of someone elses idea (to my knowledge), £150 sounds like a pretty good buy.
    Good looking watch, nice size, a bit gadgety and a full auto for £150. Grab it IMO.

How you doing anyway Sancho? Still got the 18ct Omega De-Ville you liberated from my watch box? :lol:

Blog Entries

That's a nice spec for a very nice looking watch. If it can be had for under £250 then I'd say it's good value.

**edit**
    I see the online price is about £300. I think that's ok, imo.

I think they get a slamming because they copy a lot of the design form other brands current watches - which I think is lazy and a bit off tbh.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak
    How you doing anyway Sancho? Still got the 18ct Omega De-Ville you liberated from my watch box? :lol:
    I'm fine, how are you? Good to see you here.
    I do still have the De-Ville and it's running fine. I was going to send it off to STS for a service, I just haven't got round to it yet.

Looking at them on the John Lewis website. Claims to have a lifetime warranty with is very interesting for a mechanical watch. I wonder what it says in the small print.

EDIT - I've found it

All movements in Rotary wristwatches now have a lifetime guarantee. The only condition to this warranty is that you return the watch to Rotary Watches for a professional service at least every 3 years or when our reminder reaches you. Although servicing will be chargeable it will contribute to your Rotary’s long life through cleaning, lubrication, replacement of any worn parts, regulations and full testing. The lifetime guarantee is only valid if presented with a dated proof of purchase or till receipt from an authorised Rotary stockist. The lifetime guarantee excludes straps and glasses and does not cover damage caused by misuse, accident, wear and tear or neglect.

Not quite what it first seems. Thought wear and tear was just daily usage.

Master

I like it except for the hinged caseback. Would prefer a simple sapphire caseback, or (better) a regular steel one.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak
    Couple that with the fact that this ISN'T a direct copy of someone elses idea (to my knowledge),
    It does bear more than a passing resemblance to a Longines Conquest.

my first vintage watch was a rotary!

Master

My first quartz was a Rotary, and I think it qualifies as vintage now. Still have it, needs a new battery though.

Nothing against this particular model, but one should better keep that solid case back closed...

Master

I like it, its a nice looking watch and would have no problem with it on my wrist - I am not "brandist" If I like it, I wear it

I like the look of that! Good find. I do have a reservation about the rear showing how small the movement is compared to the case but I'd happily wear this watch. If I understand you correctly and you can get it for £150 then I say go for it. Just don't forget to post up pictures when it arrives :)

I'm not sure that this Rotary does use the ETA 2824 movement.When I asked the salesman in John Lewis he didn't know! It could be a case of "Dreyfuss and Co"syndrome-an illness where you"forget" to put the type of movement anywhere in the advertising or even in the manuals for the watches! Given
    the fact that Rotary are made in Malaysia,using Far-Eastern components,it is highly likely that they use Japanese movements.
    This is a nice looking watch but for the shop price of £400 I'd rather have a Christopher Ward"Malvern" any day of the week!

Master

I've had my hands on an couple of Rotarys, they're ok.

In fact, I've got one at the minute I'm putting a new strap on for a mate.

I quite like it.

Quite like that, but you'd think that they could get the hour hand to display AFTER 10 o'clock, when the watch is at 10.10 instead of before?

Shoddy, if you ask me ;)

Mark