closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Car ? -- BMW - Audi content.

What Car ? -- BMW - Audi content.

Na then fellas,

I know there is a lot of petrol heads here on the forum so wanted to get some thoughts on a possible car purchase.

Me and the trouble and strife are thinking of getting a second car, a fun car and somthething with a bit go. I've been bobbing around in a Picasso for the last seven years. It's served me well while the kids have got longer but it ain't much fun :( we will keep it though for trips to the dump etc.

So we have been thinking about something a bit more fun and inpracticle !!
    We are thinking about either a Z3 or a TT

What are peoples thoughts on these machines ? Looking around I see loads in good nick but with high millage, I know lower the better but if it's got full service history does millage really matter nowadays ?

Looking to spend around 5-6-7 k for a higher millage I'm guessing.
    Didn't I see a nice Z3 here a while ago? Maybe not, can't find it for ref.

I want something with a bit of poke but not sure what engine sizes would be the best ?
    The misses is a big fan of the show Ashes to ashes and wanted to get a TT Quatrro, just so she could say to me " fire up the quattro" :D women eh

Love to hear some feedback chaps

Cheers
    Carl

Have driven both and you won't be disappointedwith either (especially after 7 years of a Picasso!) my favourite was the 225 TT with DSG gearbox. It has a "launch control" facility and is great fun. You really need to get out and try them.

The Z is a little cramped for me but if that doesn't bother you it has a great chassis.

Master

Re: What Car ? -- BMW - Audi content.

My wife had TT coupe up until last summer, as the kids got older she started to use my 5 series and i had to use the TT. It was a 9 year 180, good fun to drive, quick enough and very relaible. We had it for 4 years and of all the cars we have had it depreicated the least when we part ex'd it

She has a Beetle soft top now that i would'nt be seen dead in :shock:

Cheers Matt,

Yes it will be a bit differant from the picasso. There is a not to large-ish two lane hill around here I use quite often, have to go up in second gear. It's quite pathetic :) Sometimes when cars over take me on that hil me and the misses bounce up and down on the seats, usually gets a grin from the overtaking driver :D

Going out this aft and trying out couple. I'm not in touch with all the tech stuff in cars, always preferred bikes so a bit out of touch. Doing some research now.

When you say the Z3 is cramped for you, is that due to you being tall ?

TVR Chimaera for some serious fun and more reliable than people think

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones

When you say the Z3 is cramped for you, is that due to you being tall ?
    not really, it just felt cramped. Maybe snug would be another interpretation. I think it is one of those things that is either a real plus and makes you feel closer the car and road or can put you off.

Bear in mind I have always owned hatchbacks with good visibility. I wouldn't say it detracts from the experience but I personally would find the TT easier to live with everyday.

Just my thoughts ;)

Audi TT all the way. If you can get a 3.2l V6 version, all the better. Thirsty however but well worth it!

Master

Carl, had neither, but would like to throw another into the mix if I may - how about same kind of age Audi S3 :?: Driven one of those a few times and prefer them over the TT looks wise, and has the advantage of a back seat and a reasonable sized boot. They came in 210 and 225bhp and if you get one with BOSE it will have a stonking sound system - and all come with quattro as standard, so your good lady can still have the pleasure of asking you to fire up the quattro :twisted:

Edit - just had a quick look and found this S3 with less than 100K (just :wink: ) with all the toys for less than £5k - a lot of car for the money :!:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

The two cars are hugely different. BMW is rear wheel drive, and for fun and sharpness will always win over the Audi and as a fun weekend car would win hands down every time. Quatro drive in a small car like the TT is a waste of money and kills the steering feel (as most Audis). The 3.2 V6 has only 20bhp over the 225bhp version of the 1.8 turbo, but because of added weight it is no faster. Plus the large engine in the nose kills the handling even more. Not to say the TT is a bad car, it's just not an exciting one, but I'd stick to the high output 1.8 engine which, being a turbo, can be chipped to near 300bhp easily, if that's what you desire.

If it was my money, I'd get a Honda 2000S :P

Regards,
    Adi

Banned

Honda S2000 8)

Wife has a TT, friend has a Z3 and No1 son a Z4. I have driven and worked on them all.

All good fun in different ways but I found the Z3 cramped.

I would rate the Z4 better than the TT overall and would try to run to one if you can.

One point if you do your own maintenance, the BMW spares can be had much cheaper than the Audis.

Thank fellas,

That's the trouble with choice, there is too much of it !! :)

Just got back from looking at z3, the one we liked had sold but then we spotted this z4 :D

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Honda S2000 8)
    What he said :wink:

I'm a big Toyota fan, how about an MR2 reliable and I would assume a lot cheaper.

If I was going BMW I'd go M3, purely for the extra seats just in case.

It's great to avoid answering your question :lol:

Good luck and keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones
    Thank fellas,

That's the trouble with choice, there is too much of it !! :)

Just got back from looking at z3, the one we liked had sold but then we spotted this z4 :D

Looks identical to my sons one. Nice colour combo IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Guz
    I'm a big Toyota fan, how about an MR2 reliable and I would assume a lot cheaper.
    I had an MR2 roadster (the last version) as a daily driver for two years. Fantastic car for the country lanes, as close you'll get to a more luxurious Lotus Elise for a lot less money. But it was hopeless on the motorway. The dartiest, least stable car at speed I have ever driven. Going over the Pennines from Leeds to Manchester was always a nerve wrecking exercise because it was so strongly affected by wind. And absolutely no storage; my Lotus Elan is cavernous compared to it :roll:

Back on subject though, I'd go with the 3 litre Z4 manual.

Blog Entries

Depends if you're a driver or a cruiser!

If you like driving then grab a Z4 (change the tires for Non Run Flats) or an S2000 (personally i prefer a 6cylinder engine) If you can stretch to it, grab yourself a Z4M you won't regret it although they can be a little tricky to get on with as they are very sensitive on the throttle and steering. The TT is a terrible car if you're a keen driver. The steering is dull and the drive is just plain boring.

If you want to cruise and look good, rather than drive well...... i suppose you could go for a an SLK or TT

I have driven all the cars bar the s2000 as i couldn't fit in it, and i've owned a GTV V6 Cup(LE) Z3 3.0MSport, Z43.0MSi (267BHP) a 135i and my current car Z4 ///MCoupeI so i'm well versed on this subject, however all my comments are MHO of course.

Craftsman

I've never owned any of the ones mentioned, but have driven them all. All the TTs i have driven have felt beautifully screwed together but strangely detached as a driving experience. As a driver's car, the S2000 has to be the best value around and with a superb (Typically Honda..) reliability record.

Whatever you go for, RWD all the way :D

Cheers,

Peter.

try a vauxhall vx220 if you want something really impractical!!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz
    I had an MR2 roadster (the last version) as a daily driver for two years. Fantastic car for the country lanes, as close you'll get to a more luxurious Lotus Elise for a lot less money. But it was hopeless on the motorway. The dartiest, least stable car at speed I have ever driven. Going over the Pennines from Leeds to Manchester was always a nerve wrecking exercise because it was so strongly affected by wind. And absolutely no storage; my Lotus Elan is cavernous compared to it :roll:

Back on subject though, I'd go with the 3 litre Z4 manual.
    I'd 2nd that - I'm using an MR2 at the minute while my Boxster is having the brakes done - it is really flighty and no storage of any kind!

I went for the Boxster S - good price great car and hold almost everything I ever need to move - or I grab one of the families 4x4's or van.

I've had an Audi a3 quattro sport and s3 - engines and gearboxes were nice - so the TT's should be good and the interiors are very nice.

Then tuned VX220 Turbo - but needed something a little more sensible.

But the Z4's - hmmm easy to drive but the leather interiors looked awful in virtually everyone I looked at. It was between this an S2000 or a Boxster - the S2000 was fun but frenetic and the Porsche was just a lot more fun than the BM - going back now I'd probably have bought a car that wouldn't have even been in the running - an MX5 - took one on a track and handling was just fantastic for a relatively cheap car to own and run.
    It's just a matter of time...

Your budget opens you up to lots of options.

It really depends on your driving style and what you would like to get out of the car. Working to your budget of 7K, you are in the cheap boxster range, the S2000 and the BMW z3M/Coupe if you are lucky. You may be able to find a 911 for that money but it would be a bit of a risk re: running costs.

Personally, if you are concerned about resale value I would be looking at a Z3M Coupe, these are pretty rare and becoming collectable, they also offer significant performance gains over the S2000, TT and to some extent the Boxster.

The M cars are always desirable as they are genuinely good cars and perform very, very well. The 3.2 straight six in the Z3M coupe/roadster is epic and one of the true great engines. The TT in my experience is woeful to drive fast, there is very little feel and large amounts of under steer when you are really going for it. The Z3 however does drive very well and the 320bhp on offer makes quite a difference!

Chris

Banned

for that kind of money it HAS to be a boxster!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    for that kind of money it HAS to be a boxster!

Quite, but I am concerned about resale values, M Cars tend to level out regardless of age/milage and these are getting that way. Thinking about it though, there has to be a limit to how cheap a boxster will go. But the M coupe is a very rare car.
    Chris

Craftsman

M spec BMW's and Boxters will be rough for that money though.... dare I say it might avoid any top of the tree used sportscar (because there the ones that have their knackers ragged off them!) My dad has a 230 SLK that he bought for 7k a few years back (its a 2002), but its a squeeze if your over 5'10. They rust too.

How about a 330 (E43) cabriolet? Will go like a rocket and handle well. Or a little off the wall, upto last year the Mrs was running a spotless 306 cabriolet. £19500 new in the late 90's £1500 today, built along side the 456 Ferrari :lol:

Banned

Yes it will take some patient careful shopping and push the budget to it's upper limit but with some luck the right thing can be found. The M coupe does nothing for me but to each their own.

I had a 3.2 TT from 2006-2008, great car, lots of fun, never had one but the already mentioned S2000 is very highly rated car. Have had a BMW 335 cab for the last 3 years great engine but not overly impressed overall so the Z4 wouldn't get a look in for me.

Have considered an MX5?

Blog Entries

Log onto pistonheads and take a look at the VW Golf R32 - 3 or 5 door - (select price low to high to save time !)
    Cracking cars, top build quality and practicality as well as immense fun !

We use this model as our 'runabout, amazing car and gorgeous engine note :lol:
    Let's know what you end up treating yourself to !
    Cheers Peter

Master

I would have to say TT because I'm on my third and love them.
    I had a 180, then the V6 and now I'm on the TTS.

Here's the V6

And the TTS at Le Mans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb
    Have considered an MX5?
    +1 If you want a fun, wind in the hair car that can be used everyday and will be as close as you can get to 100% reliable a Mk3 MX5 would easily fit the bill. The Mk2 was a bit like the MR2 in that it was great out in the country but a bit scary on the motorway but the Mk3 just works everywhere and looks and feels far more modern.

I was thinking of offloading mine in the spring as I'm currently up to 4 cars in my stable but that's not why I'm recommending it. It truly is a great all-rounder with that bomb-proof Jap reliability that keeps the bills at bay.

A couple of Q&D pics of mine.

If I didn't live on the IOM I'd have the MX 5 to be honest - as much as I love the Audi TT for its styling.
    It's just a matter of time...

Or if you really want to have fun, get a classic!

Blog Entries

My daily hack is an S line A4 running the devils fuel. The toys nearly make up for it.

Fun......wifey has a Ed30 Golf GTI. 30+ over the standad GTI making 230PS and the big KO4 turbo. It's a seriously quick car and with stage 1 bluefin gives 300 and supercar mid range.

My other wild card is my other toy a Westfield SE.
    173bhp, 600kg, 3.89 rear diff = face stretching excelerating.
    Light weight kit cars of his ilk and just so much fun and there are not many four wheeled friends that car match them for pace and our right fun.

Pitch

You mean like this :D

This is my little GT.

I have given up on the z4 for a number of reasons, mainly because I couldn't justify 8k for what in effect would be a toy ! We don't need it and to be honest I have more pressing things I could be spending that cash on :-(. Guess I will have to stick to the trusty Picasso :D

Won't stop me getting an other motorbike though :)

Thanks for the input gents, that MX 5 looks pretty cool I must say !

Ps, car below is for sale :wink:

Selling the B? :cry: I've always liked them and seriously considered getting a MGC GT a few years ago.

Master

Another vote here for the TT, particularly the MK1 V6 variant. Fast, economical 36mpg on a motorway run), bombproof quality and an engine note to die for! Used to own a MkI V6 coupe which we drove from London to the Italian lakes via the Alps. Absolutely amazing fun and 4WD comes in pretty handy too sometimes, particularly on wet alpine roads. Also great for space (in the coupe) managed to fit 2 decent sized bags in the back plus picked up 24 bottles of champagne from Epernay on the way home!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam
    And the TTS at Le Mans
    Pah! Check out this TURBO (DIESEL) MONSTER :wink:

Functional forced induction too!

Master

[quote=andrew e]
    Quote Originally Posted by "sniper-sam":x6i43nte
    And the TTS at Le Mans
    Pah! Check out this TURBO (DIESEL) MONSTER :wink:

Functional forced induction too![/quote:x6i43nte]

:lol: is that your pic Andrew?

Craftsman

Oh yes. I have a file of various shitters, people carriers I have owned out side that sign, but nothing mildly exotic!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew e
    Oh yes. I have a file of various shitters, people carriers I have owned out side that sign, but nothing mildly exotic!
    Coolio :D

I had a 3,0 z3 a few years ago and it was fun, bit lively in the wet and good in a straight line, people used to reckon on the 2,2 as the best compromise on smoothness/economy and fun, run out models from about 51-52 reg had nice spec too.
    Now have a Carrera 4S but mrs goat has a 55 reg audi TTQuattro sport- very rare car and an absolute scream to drive- properly nippy from 240bhp turbo motor and 4 wd. also has specced up brakes,suspension and antiroll bars- all top spec stuff from the factory- not a home grown job.This has a precision and delicacy about it that is very,very rare- best to look at it as a finely set up TT225, rather than the front-heavy v6. also has manual box
    only. they were only built 2005-2006 and the 55 reg ones are considerably cheaper on road tax they all have the metallic black roof and no back seats.
    I'd recommend you at least try one of these..... Mrs Goat had a new shape TT diesel before and this is just so much more fun you wouldn't beleive it! Longer term, they're proving the most sought after of the early shape cars too.
    Goat

Grand Master

I`d love to agree with this, as an ex-owner of 3 MGBs, 2 Spitfires a 1972 TR6. The TR was sold last September after 10 yrs ownership.

However, unless you're really passionate about classics and possess the mechanical know-how , facilities AND enthusiasm to maintain one, it's not a good idea.

There are so many good-value middle-aged Z3s, Audi TTs, MX5s etc out there which will run rings round any of the classics. Granted, the maintainence costs will be higher if something goes wrong, but the overall experience is likely to be much more rewarding.

Hate to say this because I`m a long-time fan of classic cars, but the modern stuff is so much better.

As for the OPs choice, I`d go for an open top car if he's never had one before. The choice would be a Z3 with a decent size engine or an MX5. Have a look at the cost of road tax and insurance etc and factor this into the running costs. Above all, try a few examples before buying.

Don`t forget the fuel costs.......my TR6 would've been costing around 25p/mile to feed :shock: ....and I can`t see petrol getting any cheaper :(

Paul